2010-01-13, 04:13 AM
I felt like it, OK?

Unseen Editor
Divination
Level: Wiz/Sor 0, Cleric 0, Bard 0
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: One written work of no more than 5000 characters per caster level written by the caster
Duration: Instantaneous.
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

This spell instantly communicates to the caster any and all spelling errors in the work. It also finds ambiguous passages and points them out to the caster.

Special: This spell may not be learned or cast by any means by a wizard residing on a coast of any description.

Minor Levitation
Transmutation
Level: Wiz/Sor 0, Bard 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 1 foot
Target: 1 object weighing one pound or less
Duration: Concentration up to 1 minute
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)

This spell permits the caster to cause the target object to rise or fall. It may move at a speed of 1' vertically for the duration, as directed by the caster.

I'll think of more soon: my brain is like that.

Anonymouswizard
2010-01-13, 04:19 AM
Unseen editors advice should not point out loopholes, especialy if playtesting is required. It's lazy.

Otherwise, rotfl

Fortuna
2010-01-13, 04:33 AM
It doesn't. It simply points out ambiguous sections. If you wrote something unambiguously not what you wanted, poor you.

dsmiles
2010-01-13, 05:22 AM
Perhaps unseen editor should have a counterpart that points out the unambiguous sections. You know, just so that the wizards who live on a coast have a new spell to learn too.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-13, 07:40 AM
Minor Levitation
Transmutation
Level: Wiz/Sor 0, Bard 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 1 foot
Target: 1 object weighing one pound or less
Duration: Concentration up to 1 minute
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)

This spell permits the caster to cause the target object to rise or fall. It may move at a speed of 1' vertically for the duration, as directed by the caster.
This isn't as good as the levitation provided by Prestidigitation.

Latronis
2010-01-13, 07:42 AM
If you cast unseen editor on wikipedia does your head explode?

Cheat by first impression seems too strong for a cantrip

Fortuna
2010-01-13, 01:38 PM
If you singlehandedly wrote wikipedia, and then cast unseen editor on it, then yes.

Why is Cheat too strong?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-01-13, 01:43 PM
Why is Cheat too strong?

Because there's a 1st level spell by the same name with a similar (and weaker) effect on page 46 of the Spell Compendium. Bard/Sorc/Wiz/Greed Domain first level spell.

Latronis
2010-01-13, 06:46 PM
If you singlehandedly wrote wikipedia, and then cast unseen editor on it, then yes.

Why is Cheat too strong?

well that'll learn me not to read the target line.

Manipulating dice rolls to max or min as a free action is pretty damn potent

Siosilvar
2010-01-13, 07:31 PM
well that'll learn me not to read the target line.

Manipulating dice rolls to max or min as a free action is pretty damn potent

Only if your character is playing a dice game.

Atticus Bleak
2010-01-13, 07:52 PM

True, but technically our good mixed elemental (I mean you, Djinn) Is correct, Cheat from the Spell Compendium is a 1st level spell that only gives you a chance you to change the outcome of a game of chance.

Latronis
2010-01-13, 08:37 PM

Which means whenever the spell is useful it's dictating results. and without components its not even detectable by mundane means

Fortuna
2010-01-13, 09:25 PM
Ah. Fair enough then. I'll just delete that post.

JoshuaZ
2010-01-13, 09:54 PM
Unseen Editor should actually probably be level 1 at least. This isn't a balance concern but simply a flavor problem. It has a very complicated set of jobs to do, going through each word, checking it against a pre-existing spelling (which might require complicated decisions based on issues of dialect and such) and ambiguity is a very much a difficult issue. There's actually a fair bit of linguistic and psychological disagreement over what exactly constitutes ambiguity in a sentence.

RS14
2010-01-13, 09:55 PM
Unseen Editor
Divination
Level: Wiz/Sor 0, Cleric 0, Bard 0
Target: One written work of no more than 5000 characters per caster level written by the caster

This spell instantly communicates to the caster any and all spelling errors in the work. It also finds ambiguous passages and points them out to the caster.

Special: This spell may not be learned or cast by any means by a wizard residing on a coast of any description.

I'd like to be able to target things written by someone other than the caster. I can imagine a few more minor uses for it then.

Unseen Editor should actually probably be level 1 at least. This isn't a balance concern but simply a flavor problem. It has a very complicated set of jobs to do, going through each word, checking it against a pre-existing spelling (which might require complicated decisions based on issues of dialect and such) and ambiguity is a very much a difficult issue. There's actually a fair bit of linguistic and psychological disagreement over what exactly constitutes ambiguity in a sentence.

Detecting Poison (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectPoison.htm) is likewise nontrivial.

The more important consideration: Nobody will ever bother to learn a Lvl 1 Unseen Editor. They may if it is a cantrip.

Demented
2010-01-13, 10:03 PM
It should point out only the first spelling or grammatical error it finds. That would be suitable for a cantrip. You'd need to cast it a thousand times to accomplish anything of great significance.

Edit: Detect poison requires a DC 20 Wisdom check; it doesn't automatically succeed. It's about as powerful as a skill point. Oh nevermind. That's just the type of poison. <_<

Forevernade
2010-01-13, 10:36 PM
Define Pi
Divination
Level: Wiz/Sor 0
Target: Circle (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

The spell targets any circle, drawn, tabular, or objective, and calculates the decimal places in a spoken voice coming from the circle itself. The number of decimal places equals to ten per caster level. This spell can be combined with bardic music to change the voiced decimals into a spoken song.

Latronis
2010-01-14, 08:38 AM
Define Pi in practice? (http://pi.ytmnd.com/)