PDA

View Full Version : Excel Problem (again!)

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-13, 10:38 AM
Hello everyone. Last time I had an excel problem, people here were more than helpful and straightforward in their help. So I decided to try it again..

I am trying to match elements from a list with multiple columns. Now, I have done this very procedure 10 times before in the past 40 minutes, the exact same way,with shorter lists.

From a different list generated, I pick up 20 stock names and put them under the table. Then I do:

=vlookup(RC[-1],Table,2,false)

which will return me, in the table, the 2nd column cell that is aligned with the stock name right on the left. So far so good, it has worked perfectly before.

Except that for this excel file, it doesn't. It returns me #N/A.

Strangier, even: I do a search function to make sure the spelling is right. It is, and the stock name I am vlookingup is included in the Table. Moreso, the spelling is exactly the same!

Even weirder, when I copy the name in the list and I paste it in the list I use to make my vlookup, it returns me the value, even if THE CELL HAS ABSOLUTELY NOT CHANGED!

The format is the same, the celltype is the same, the writing is the exact freakingly same. But pasting in the stock name from the table gives me something, while using the exact same stock name from somewhere else gives me nothing.

It isn't the first time something like this happen, and I would like to know if someone has any idea why this happens. I am using qualitative listings, and not numbers, so any number format solution might not prove effective.

Thank you, Playgrounders.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-13, 10:43 AM
Problem found. For some reason, my list generator created a random number of empty spaces at the end of the stock listing in my table. I simply removed all the spaces from my excel file with a search function.

Thank you for considering helping me :smallbiggrin: