PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good Necromancer build?

ZombieGenesis
2010-01-13, 12:25 PM
I've only just gotten my hands on the Players Handbook(s) and other core resources and piling through all this... well, it's a lot to take in. As a referenence point, could anyone suggest a decent build for a Necromancer? I'm open to all variables, just to get the ball rolling.

subject42
2010-01-13, 12:32 PM
A) You have the greatest combination of post title and username ever.

B) Which edition? May we assume 3.5?

C) When you say necromancer, are you looking for someone who uses a lot of necromancy spells and negative energy effects, or somebody who has a zombie conga line following him at all times?

ZombieGenesis
2010-01-13, 12:39 PM
Awesome, do I win a prize?
Well, now that you mention it, I'd say 4e since that appears to be the version I have on me. Though I've heard 3.5 is the most popular, but one step at a time I suppose. Also I'd want something quite spell-heavy, though if I can have a horde of flesh eaters bringing me snacks I wouldn't turn that down...
No, probably best to go with the first option.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-13, 12:50 PM
4.0? I don't think they've done up a necromancer yet. WotC is even worse about "Undead are EBIL! PCS are GOOD!" in 4.0 than in 3.x.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-13, 12:53 PM
4.0? I don't think they've done up a necromancer yet. WotC is even worse about "Undead are EBIL! PCS are GOOD!" in 4.0 than in 3.x.

Gah. I hate that line of thinking. :furious:

ZombieGenesis
2010-01-13, 12:56 PM
Well to avoid this becoming a bashing of 4e let's just say a 3.5 Necro? That sound good, or plausible? :smallsmile:

I never knew just picking a system could make things so complicated.

Eloel
2010-01-13, 12:58 PM
Dread Necromancer, Heroes of Horror

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-13, 01:02 PM
It's not a bashing of 4.0 they just have a design philosophy that makes PC undead unsupported by the system. It's actually a better game, I just disagree with it on certain points(like that one).

If you already have the books, you can probably do it by reflavoring a summon-focused Wizard. IIRC they came out with one in Dragon. Multiclass to Beastmaster Ranger for an undead servant, get the DM to make all of your powers deal whatever the 4.0 equivalent to negative energy, and you should be a Black Lantern before you know it.

Glimbur
2010-01-13, 01:22 PM
For 3.5, if you want simple, there are three choices.

1) Wizard, for your debuffing and negative energy rays and maniacal laughter necromancer. Also some ability to raise the dead, but not as well as choice 2).

2) Cleric. Pick the right domains, cast the right spells, and run an undead horde.

3) Dread Necromancer, a base class from Heroes of Horror. They do some of each, and have other goodies. I'd argue that they are the best necromancer of the three... they're not the most powerful though, because a wizard or a cleric have many other tricks besides necromancy they can pull.

Beelzebub1111
2010-01-13, 01:58 PM
Well, Evil/neutral clerics of evil gods can command undead. Useful if you're at your maximum of undead controlled with animate dead.

Try Cleric of Blood of Vol with the Death and Necromancy domains.

Necromancy domain lets you cast Necro spells at +1 caster level.
Death gives access to animate dead as a 3rd level spell.

HCL
2010-01-13, 02:48 PM
You should be an evil cleric (I think bone knight PrC would be best) or dread necromancer. If you really want to be a Wizard necro you are going to mainly focus on debuffing via fatigue spells, sickness, and negative levels, as they are worse for commanding/creating undead compared to DN and Cleric. Ur priest can also work.

wormwood
2010-01-13, 03:09 PM
No, no, no... you've got it all wrong. What you wanna do is take 3 levels of cleric, 3 levels of wizard, and then go into the True Necromancer prestige class from Libris Mortis.

:)

Yes, that was sarcasm.

Optimystik
2010-01-13, 03:11 PM
Try Cleric of Blood of Vol with the Death and Necromancy domains.

Death is awful. Go Undeath instead. It's not like any deities in Eberron care anyway.