PDA

View Full Version : Gifts of the Mad God

ZombieGenesis
2010-01-13, 04:08 PM
Here's a fun little game.

Just recently getting into the D&D habit myself I contacted a friend of mine who DM's for a group some distance away. While chatting he tells me that his group of five players have recently come into the graces of a God character in his campaign and who will next session be recieving special gifts for their duties. Now for those in-the-know this Mad God was somewhat based on Sheogorath (from the Elder Scrolls) so naturally anything he dishes out will be for prank first and practicality second, but of course, the players don't yet know this. Apparently what he intends to do is give them one gift each, with more side effects than are told, and scribble down the bonus information for everyone but the recieving player to read. Some ideas he shared with me were;

For the Dwarf, an enchanted powerful axe. The hidden joke effect being that between sunset and sunrise the axe transmorphs into a spoon, but its magic prevents the dwarf from seeing this. (I wonder if the damage will remain the same?)

For the Wizard (I think), a transportation spell with some extra details I can't remember nor understood. Though the unfortunate wizard will find that upon using this power he will appear at his destination without pants.

I forget who recieves this one, but one gift is the power to highly charm anyone in social encounters for a set time per-day. He will find however that only men are effected... because the spell makes him appear as a naked elf female (bearing in mind, he won't see this!)

I really want to know how these 'gifts' go down, and have been trying to think of more to suggest. Just for a little fun here on the forums, can anyone think of a seemingly-practical but hilarious item, spell or power from the Mad God?

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-13, 04:19 PM
Here's a fun little game.

Just recently getting into the D&D habit myself I contacted a friend of mine who DM's for a group some distance away. While chatting he tells me that his group of five players have recently come into the graces of a God character in his campaign and who will next session be recieving special gifts for their duties. Now for those in-the-know this Mad God was somewhat based on Sheogorath (from the Elder Scrolls) so naturally anything he dishes out will be for prank first and practicality second, but of course, the players don't yet know this. Apparently what he intends to do is give them one gift each, with more side effects than are told, and scribble down the bonus information for everyone but the recieving player to read. Some ideas he shared with me were;

For the Dwarf, an enchanted powerful axe. The hidden joke effect being that between sunset and sunrise the axe transmorphs into a spoon, but its magic prevents the dwarf from seeing this. (I wonder if the damage will remain the same?)

For the Wizard (I think), a transportation spell with some extra details I can't remember nor understood. Though the unfortunate wizard will find that upon using this power he will appear at his destination without pants.

I forget who recieves this one, but one gift is the power to highly charm anyone in social encounters for a set time per-day. He will find however that only men are effected... because the spell makes him appear as a naked elf female (bearing in mind, he won't see this!)

I really want to know how these 'gifts' go down, and have been trying to think of more to suggest. Just for a little fun here on the forums, can anyone think of a seemingly-practical but hilarious item, spell or power from the Mad God?

A spell that polmorphs the target. The hidden effect is that it casts an illusion on the party that the tagret has been polymophed into a rabbit when in reality, they become something *possibly* more deadly?

A spell that summons an Angry Butler (Commoner 6/Barbarian 12/ect.) that gives tips to the PCs and can, if hit by an enemy, turn into a Hulk-like beast (pick your fave Large+ humanoid-looking thing and make it grey) and thrashes them. (How Haskil should've been done)

At the end of the quest line, maybe "Summon Aspect of the Mad God", which summons something that looks like Jyggalag (?)

chiasaur11
2010-01-13, 04:20 PM
A spell that summons an Angry Butler (Commoner 6/Barbarian 12/ect.) that gives tips to the PCs and can, if hit by an enemy, turn into a Hulk-like beast (pick your fave Large+ humanoid-looking thing and make it grey) and thrashes them. (How Haskil should've been done)

Why make an angry Butler when a standard one armed with a carving knife would do the job just as well?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-13, 04:22 PM
all from the "not quite cursed items" thread.

Sword of Dragon Laying: Functions as a normal +5 sword, until the wielder encounters a dragon. At which point it casts charm person on both the wielder and the dragon to convince them to have sexual relations (bypasses SR, DC 50 save). If the two are both of the same sex, the sword will reverse the gender of the wielder for the length of a potential pregnancy +1d12 months. If one of the parties gets pregnant, the sword casts Geas on the female party to make her carry the child to term (she resists all attempts to get her to get rid of the child, or polymorph her back into her original form if shifted)

True Universal Solvent
This item appears to be a bottle of standard Universal Solvent, even to the most advanced magical detection. Upon pouring it, however, it will begin to dissolve anything that it comes into contact with, often causing bodily harm to those trying to dissolve tanglefoot bags. Often the solvent will go so far as to dissolve all the way to the core of whatever planet it is on, with any more than an ounce of solvent usually causing widespread geographical problems, potentially even cataclysmic. Only one substance can resist the Universal Solvent's power, usually chosen by the creator of the True Universal Solvent. A common choice is ordinary universal solvent, as it is used to coat the inside of the bottle, adding to the appearance of completely normal Universal Solvent.

Treasure-Hunter's Carpet
This appears to be a magic flying carpet until activated. It has room for the full party. However, once activated it cannot be controlled. When activated, it will automatically transport its riders to the location of a great treasure. The carpet can pass through solid objects and make use of existing planar portals. The treasure selected will be heavily guarded, and the carpet will not function again until the guardians are defeated and the treasure collected. Under no circumstances will it transport the party to a safe location. The party will have to find their own way home.

Cloak of Flying
Allows the wearer to fly for up to ten minutes a day, but when the cloak is put on it inserts several spikes through the wearers neck (there is no way to avoid these spikes). The spike then proceed to do 1d6 of damage per round. To remove the cloak you need a Str check of 15 or an escape artist check of 15.

Bluffstone: This stone grants a +20 bonus to your bluff checks, but every time you make a bluff you must make a will save equal to your bluff check or believe it yourself. This check increases by 5 for every time you tell the same lie in a day.

Bracers of Lechery (yes, inspired by the "Magic items to put back" gag)
These function as normal Bracers of Archery, but can only be worn by females. When so worn, they will regularly make audible lewd comments. This imposes a severe penalty on all Move Silently checks, as one would expect.

Shield of Sparrow Deflection
Functions as an ordinary shield, but grants unusual deflection bonuses, which stack if more than one applies
+1 against any non-living projectile with feathers
+4 against melee attacks from living birds (including Raptorans)
+2 against any dive attack or ranged attack from above

Gauntlets of Ogress Power
If worn by a female, these function as normal Gauntlets of Ogre Power. If a male attempts to put them on, he must make a DC 20 Fort save. Success means the gauntlets fall off and have no effect. If the save is failed, the wearer is polymorphed into a female. This process is extremely disorienting. If the victim fails a DC 15 Will save, he suffers Confusion (As the spell) for 24 hours and takes 1d4 Wisdom damage (which heals at the normal rate or with a restoration spell) from the mental strain. The transformation is permanent, and is not a curse, but it can be reversed by any spell that would normally have the effect of turning a woman into a man, however such spells do not work while the gauntlets are worn.

Belt of the Naked Monk
When worn about the waist, this lightweight cord of rope grants its wearer a +4 enhancement bonus to natural armor, a +2 enhancement bonus to all attacks while unarmed or using monk weapons, and the ability to cast Invisibility (self only) 3 times per day as a swift action. However, it also renders any clothing or armor they are wearing invisible (and thus transparent). Jewelry and the belt are unaffected by this, but do become invisible when casting the invisibility spell.

Stone of Unreliable Power
This flawed, oddly-shaped gem can be activated once per day with a command word. Immediately upon activation, the user gains the benefits of Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Bear's Endurance, Owl's Wisdom, Fox's Cunning, Eagle's Splendor, Shield of Faith, Mage Armor, Greater Invisibility, Nondetection, Greater Magic Fang, and protection from all alignments. However, each round after activation, each of these effects has an independent 50% chance of dissipating without warning. This chance increases by 1% each round, and by 5% each time an effect is lost.

Ioun Stone (Blue with Wings)
Shape: Circular
Effect: Every round, select an enemy. The Ioun Stone grants +2 to hit vs. that enemy. However, the Ioun Stone cannot be deactivated, and speaks in a shrill voice, giving you a -5 penalty to Move Silently. Only by breaking the enchantment on the Ioun Stone can you remove it.

"Hey! Listen!"

Belt of Giant's Stench
When you put on this belt, it appears to behave exactly like a Belt of Giant's Strength +4. Upon entering battle, however, the belt begins to emit a horrible stench that you yourself do not notice. For every round the belt stays on, the stench extends 10 ft. around you, reaching a maximum distance of 50 ft. All creatures (including allies) within that radius are sickened.

Boots of random flying! there fancy blue shoes with golden wings will make you fly! sometimes... almost...
whenever you activate them they first shoot you straight up in the air 1d10 feet then you can fly as per the spell. for 2d12 rounds before you plummet to the ground.
also, the boots may activate (50% chance) whenever you jump and and when you crash (face it, you will) the boots have a 10% chance of exploding.