PDA

View Full Version : Ninja'd?

Spirited Charge
2010-01-13, 04:37 PM
I've seen this word used a lot throughout the forums, but I don't exactly know what it means. Can someone please explain?

Dogmantra
It means someone posted before you, but while you were typing so you still clicked reply anyway.

OverWilliam
I would, but somebody will have ninja'd me by the time I'm done writing it up. :smallsigh: :smalltongue:

EDIT: Aaaaand, Ninja'd anyway. :smallsigh:

Magnvo
2010-01-13, 04:38 PM
Basically, it means someone said what you were going to say before you did.

Edit: damn it, ninja'd.

Totally Guy
2010-01-13, 04:39 PM
That was predictable.

arguskos
2010-01-13, 04:39 PM
The irony inherent in this thread amuses me.

Dogmantra
2010-01-13, 04:43 PM
I'm rather proud of myself for avoiding the irony here.

Spirited Charge
2010-01-13, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the clarification. And it is amusing to see the irony in many of the above replies :smallbiggrin:

reorith
2010-01-13, 10:37 PM
i fail to see the irony inherent in this thread.

Partof1
2010-01-13, 10:45 PM
i fail to see the irony inherent in this thread.

They were ninja'd while explaining how to ninja. It was to be expected that many would reply quickly, so as to ninja one another.

reorith
2010-01-13, 10:52 PM
They were ninja'd while explaining how to ninja. It was to be expected that many would reply quickly, so as to ninja one another.

exactly. if it was the expected outcome, it is hardly ironic. now if everyone who replied to this thread was killed by shinobi midsentence that would be ir

Anuan
2010-01-13, 11:01 PM
The ninja apparently wanted to add insult to injury by clicking the Submit Reply button after assassinating reorith.
Whaddya know.

Tirian
2010-01-13, 11:05 PM
I've seen this word used a lot throughout the forums, but I don't exactly know what it means. Can someone please explain?

It means that someone took so long editing their response to the question that someone else posted an answer before you. Because it's sneaky like a ninja.

Partof1
2010-01-13, 11:15 PM
exactly. if it was the expected outcome, it is hardly ironic. now if everyone who replied to this thread was killed by shinobi midsentence that would be ir

Oh, yeah, I see. Paradoxes suck.

I think it is still ironic, even if it breaks the rule of irony.

PhoeKun
2010-01-13, 11:17 PM

Counterpoint: each of the first handful of responders (whether they expected it or not) seemed to desire to answer the question before anyone else could. Of course, the presence of such an obvious question in a place full of people who know the answer, many of whom are likely to be noticing it at exactly the same question certainly does provide the expectation that several replies will pop up in the time it takes you to write your own.

Given that expectation, it would have been easy to avoid being ninja'd by simply waiting maybe 10 seconds longer before writing a reply themselves. They did not. The irony of the situation is that, despite having every reason to believe they would be ninja'd in a thread about ninja'ing, they went against their expectations. And were surprised by the results.

leafman
2010-01-13, 11:19 PM
To my understanding there is also another way to ninja someone. I've only seen it on forums that have a bit of lag to them so it might not be common.
What happens is someone quotes your post and replies to it before your post is posted to the forum, so it looks like the knew exactly what you where going to say and replied before you could even say anything.

arguskos
2010-01-13, 11:20 PM
The irony of the situation is that, despite having every reason to believe they would be ninja'd in a thread about ninja'ing, they went against their expectations. And were surprised by the results.
Dingdingding, we have a winner. That was what I was laughing at, in any case. 'twas greatly amusing, no?

Partof1
2010-01-13, 11:20 PM
Counterpoint: each of the first handful of responders (whether they expected it or not) seemed to desire to answer the question before anyone else could. Of course, the presence of such an obvious question in a place full of people who know the answer, many of whom are likely to be noticing it at exactly the same question certainly does provide the expectation that several replies will pop up in the time it takes you to write your own.

Given that expectation, it would have been easy to avoid being ninja'd by simply waiting maybe 10 seconds longer before writing a reply themselves. They did not. The irony of the situation is that, despite having every reason to believe they would be ninja'd in a thread about ninja'ing, they went against their expectations. And were surprised by the results.

You are very wise. Counter irony. I like it, and will use it myself, in the future, if you don't mind. :)

Starscream
2010-01-13, 11:56 PM
I once started a thread in the RPG section, and then after hitting the submit button found that someone had started one with the exact same topic less than a minute before me.

That's right; I was ninja'd by an entire thread.

Sadly my topic was monks. If it had been ninjas, it would have been perfect.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-14, 12:28 AM
I once started a thread in the RPG section, and then after hitting the submit button found that someone had started one with the exact same topic less than a minute before me.

That's right; I was ninja'd by an entire thread.

Sadly my topic was monks. If it had been ninjas, it would have been perfect.

no, if it was about ninjas getting ninja'd it would've been perfect.:smalltongue:

ocdscale
2010-01-14, 12:38 AM
To my understanding there is also another way to ninja someone. I've only seen it on forums that have a bit of lag to them so it might not be common.
What happens is someone quotes your post and replies to it before your post is posted to the forum, so it looks like the knew exactly what you where going to say and replied before you could even say anything.

How is this even possible? I understand that lag can delay when the post gets recorded...
But how would something like this even occur?
Person A posts.
Person B quotes A's post.
B's reply gets onto the forum.
A's original post gets onto the forum.

How can B quote A's post if A's post isn't already on the forum?

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-14, 01:09 AM
A wizard did it :smallsmile:

Pyrian
2010-01-14, 01:40 AM
On Warseer you get about a minute in which you can edit your post without an "edited" note at the end of it. So, you can occasionally edit in a quote of the post below yours before it registers.

One time, I quoted part of the post above mine, and by the time I'd posted it, the person had deleted their post and re-posted nearly the same thing - but beneath my post. This had me very confused until I tried the link in my own post and found out that the post I'd actually quoted had been deleted!

Dragonrider
2010-01-14, 01:45 AM
Are we the only forum that calls it Ninja'ing, or was that invented somewhere else?

Neko Toast
2010-01-14, 01:50 AM

Why does this sentence sound familiar...

Oh, right! The Candlejack meme -- Oh, sh

Soterion
2010-01-14, 01:50 AM
And the opposite of ninja'ing--to hold off on posting for fear you will be the first one to post and thus look too eager, only to discover that you were the first to post after all--is, of course, pirate'ing.

Dogmantra
2010-01-14, 06:10 AM
Are we the only forum that calls it Ninja'ing, or was that invented somewhere else?

I know for a fact that it's used in some other forums.

smellie_hippie
2010-01-14, 06:39 AM

It means ye must be keelhauled fer referen to it as ninja, b'caus ninjas be filthy bilgerats greatly inferior ta pirates. :smalltongue: *also should have been expected*

Haruki-kun
2010-01-14, 02:38 PM

This is the only forum I frequent, I thought they'd made it up here. Kinda sad to hear they didn't.

....OK, I frequent another forum. But that one has so many ninjas no one ever points it out.

leafman
2010-01-16, 06:22 PM
Have a look at this thread to see what I'm talking about:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=164105&highlight=ninjaed
The first 10 posts contain several examples.

Solaris
2010-01-16, 07:19 PM
Why does this sentence sound familiar...

Oh, right! The Candlejack meme -- Oh, sh

... I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought of that.

The Demented One
2010-01-17, 12:14 AM
Also called sarnath'd, in certain circles.

lesser_minion
2010-01-17, 09:43 AM
The other version is a ninja edit (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NinjaEditor), when someone edits something really quickly after posting it.

It's generally allowed, because there are a lot of acceptable uses (e.g. clearing out typos), but sometimes it's used for trolling.