PDA

View Full Version : what race would you pick for ...

gallagher
2010-01-13, 07:04 PM
what race would you pick for a multiclass rogue/monk? he needs darkvision, and it is very low level.

Mongoose87
2010-01-13, 07:06 PM
Dwarves are pretty awesome, and the Monk's speed bonus would mitigate his slow speed.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-13, 07:09 PM
Dwarf is good. Also, whisper gnome, strongheart halfling or lesser tiefling.

All of those should be a decent basis for a roguish character.

Optimystik
2010-01-13, 07:09 PM
Lesser Drow - Dex bonus, Darkvision, no LA.

Also, no speed penalty, and medium size (for full unarmed attack progression.)

Tyndmyr
2010-01-13, 07:11 PM
Lesser Drow - Dex bonus, Darkvision, no LA.

Also, no speed penalty, and medium size (for full unarmed attack progression.)

Hmm, good points.

I had considered it as more of a rogue dominant build, but depending on how much monk is involved, a medium race might be ideal.

Tokiko Mima
2010-01-13, 07:12 PM
what race would you pick for a multiclass rogue/monk? he needs darkvision, and it is very low level.

http://elfbeast.freehostia.com/gaming/prestige_class/whispermage.jpg

Whisper Gnome from Races of Stone is awesome for that. It's LA +0, you get a nice +8 bonus to hide and +4 to move silently, small size with 30' speed, darkvision AND low light vision, a +2 DEX/CON bonus, and Silence as an SLA. They also have Rogue as their favored class, so multiclassing is not a problem.

Just promise you'll stop with monk after two levels, k? :smallwink:

Edit: Please note the bayonet on the hand crossbow. They're that badass.

Gnorman
2010-01-13, 07:31 PM
I'll ask the obvious question: why monk? What about an unarmed swordsage / rogue build?

Well, regardless: whisper gnome is definitely your best bet, as many people have already mentioned. In fact, you really shouldn't be considering anything else.

Once you go gnome, you'll never go home.

Riffington
2010-01-13, 08:23 PM
Well, regardless: whisper gnome is definitely your best bet, as many people have already mentioned. In fact, you really shouldn't be considering anything else.

Once you go gnome, you'll never go home.

There is the small thing. May not matter for the unarmed swordsage, but it is an issue for a monk. There's also the "cheese mightnot belong in a game that uses monks" thing, but that's variable.

Really, the optimum answer is for the DM to allow warforged to have Darkvision, but then give them glowing red eyes to compensate.

Gnorman
2010-01-13, 08:28 PM
Really, the optimum answer is for the DM to allow warforged to have Darkvision, but then give them glowing red eyes to compensate.

I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

deuxhero
2010-01-13, 08:29 PM
(lesser) Tiefling+kung fu genius

Gnorman
2010-01-13, 08:32 PM
(lesser) Tiefling+kung fu genius

An excellent idea! Why had I not thought of that one?

Reduce MAD, be an awesomely flavorful scion of the lower planes, take a penalty to a complete and utter dump stat. Darkvision. Medium size.

This might actually give the Whisper Gnome competition. Depends on whether you prefer combat or stealth.

Mando Knight
2010-01-13, 08:37 PM

Only if they travel back from the future TO KILL JOHN CONNOR.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-13, 08:43 PM
Illumian: they can multiclass from monk and then level up monk later.