PDA

View Full Version : How to Troll

Moff Chumley
2010-01-13, 08:01 PM
DISCLAIMER: I'm not talking about trolling GitP. You guys know me, I would never do that. However, on several other forums, as well as Facebook, I'm finding it increasingly necessary to piss people off. The thing is, I can't seem to do it effectively. :smallsigh:

So, gentle Playground, I turn to you: when the occasion arises, how do you go about practicing the black art of trolling?

PS: Comments telling me trolling is bad are as good as trolls in this context.

Pyrian
2010-01-13, 08:11 PM
When does it become necessary to piss people off? :smallconfused:

Anyway, the secret to trolling is to hide under a bridge and devour anybody who won't pay you off.

BizzaroStormy
2010-01-13, 08:13 PM
Hmm, I've just been eating them anyway. My cousin, the ski free yeti just eats people without askng for money first.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-01-13, 08:14 PM
I don't think this is a good thing to discuss on a forum that we don't want trolling on.

I'd PM people, or go to the Steam Forums and read any of about 70% of the threads for a good example of trolling.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-13, 08:14 PM
Go into a rapidly moving discussion, with lots of points flying back and forth, and post "No, that's not true."

Nothing else.

Pyrian
2010-01-13, 08:17 PM
Hmm, I've just been eating them anyway. My cousin, the ski free yeti just eats people without askng for money first.If nobody gets by then people stop coming and you end up hungry and poor. The trick is to let enough people get by that it's regarded as a valid route, and if an occasional traveller disappears, well, who knows what happened, right?

RandomNPC
2010-01-13, 08:18 PM
somewhere in the cracked.com archives there's a list of the most annoying types of trolls, with a "how they piss us all off" section, if i find it i'll edit in direct linky.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-13, 08:18 PM
posting things that are utterly irrelevant work too.

in a discussion about politics you could type something like "awwwww wook a wittle kitty kat!"

I wish I could remember that thread where I trolled a troll.

Teutonic Knight
2010-01-13, 08:20 PM
You watch this video.

Internet Bridge Troll (http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1926079)

Temotei
2010-01-13, 08:27 PM
In before 4chan.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-13, 08:36 PM
Go into a rapidly moving discussion, with lots of points flying back and forth, and post "No, that's not true."

Nothing else.

That works. Thanks, Surley.

I'm checking out Steam now... :smalleek:

Gamerlord
2010-01-13, 08:38 PM
Well...do you simply want to bug people, or make them cry?

Say something incredible stupid, like, "DRM is awesomesauce", I know a guy who got at least 30+ posts on tvtropes trying that* . This only midly annoys people though, but that is what a troll does.

* NO he was not me, and he did not do that just to see what happened.

Temotei
2010-01-13, 08:41 PM
Well...do you simply want to bug people, or make them cry?

Say something incredible stupid, like, "DRM is awesomesauce", I know a guy who got at least 30+ posts on tvtropes trying that* . This only midly annoys people though, but that is what a troll does.

* NO he was not me, and he did not do that just to see what happened.

Can't trust you, mind flayer! :smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2010-01-13, 08:44 PM
We're looking to provoke people. :smallamused:

Gamerlord
2010-01-13, 08:45 PM
We're looking to provoke people. :smallamused:

It can do that to, if all else fails, SAY SOMETHING RELATED TO POLITICS OR RELIGION!
But the moment you do that, DUCK AND COVER! YOU MIGHT NOT SURVIVE THE FALLOUT!

Starscream
2010-01-13, 08:46 PM
PS: Comments telling me trolling is bad are as good as trolls in this context.

I see. So the ones who oppose trolls are, in some situations, the biggest trolls of all. We should all meditate on this wisdom.

But wait. "As good as trolls"? Since this topic is about the positive uses of trolling, are trolls not "good" in the context of this discussion? So if we claim that trolling is bad, we are indeed "as good as trolls", because we are both opposing trolls (which is good) engaging in the act of trolling (which is also good in this situation).

But because we are being good in two ways, and trolls are only being good in one, are we not twice as good as trolls? Then again, if trolls are good, and we are opposing them, then we are doing something bad. So we are only good in one way, and thus are as good as trolls after all.

The more I ponder this, the deeper it becomes.

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-13, 08:48 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This is really not appropriate for this forum whether you intend to use such information here or not.