PDA

View Full Version : I need them little races...

A Ladder
2010-01-13, 08:18 PM
So i want to make a warlock in my next campaign, and the cool thing about Locks are that their EB doesnt lose damage due to thier size. So i figure i'll max out thier AC with size modifiers and natural armor.

NEwho... getting off track, i need a list of small or smaller races (tiny, diminutive, etc.. with thier specials and what book they are in) that you guys consider "good".

(of course i would want high charisma and dexterity, but right now im more worried about thier size.)

if you could keep the LA under +1 that would be cool, but i won't turn away those that go over it. thanks!

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-13, 08:27 PM
I just finished making a Tiny warlock. I shall post the build for you my squid faced friend.

Books:
PHB
DMG
Unearthed Arcana
Arcana Unearthed
Comp. Arcane
Fiendish Codex 2
Tome Of Magic

Loresong Faen: -2 Str, +2 Int
CN
Int- Must be highest stat. MUST be at least 14.
Str- Dump.
Wis- Dump
Con- 2nd Highest
Cha- Dump, depending on chosen Invocations.
Dex- 3rd Highest,

1-Expert(UA)
HD1-Spell Hand (Comp. Arcane)
Ex1-Sneak attack (+2D6)

Skills: 6+ int mod (24+(3x4)=36, more is better)
UMD-3
Hide-4
Move Silently-4
Decipher Script-4 (4/7)
Disable Device-4 (4/7)
Escape Artist-4 (4/7)
Know: Arcana-0
Know: The Planes-4
Speak Languages-1 (infernal)
Intimidate-4
Spellcraft-4
Concentration-0

2-Warlock
Inv-Summon Swarm

Skills: 2+3 skill points
Know: Planes+1 (5/12)
Know: Arcana+4 (4/4)

3-Expert(UA)
HD3-Lost to become a Spryte!
Ex2-Flyby Attack

Skills:6+3
Decipher Script+2 (6/7)
Disable Device+2 (6/7)
Escape Artist+0 (4/7)
Know: The Planes+1 (6/12)
Spellcraft+2 (6/6)
Intimidate+2 (6/6)

4-Spryte!
Skills: 2+3
Escape Artist+3 (7/7)
Disable Device+2cc (7/7)

5-Spryte
Decipher Script+2cc (7/7)
Concentration+3

6-Spryte (+2 Dex, -2 Str. Stacks with what the fist set of bonuses)
HD6-

Skills:2+3
As would be most useful this level.

7-Arcane Trickster
Skills: 4+3
Know: the Planes+3 (9/12)
The rest as you see fit.

8-Arcane Tricster
As you see fit

9-Arcane Trickster
HD9-
As you see fit

10-Arcane Trickster
Env. Hellryme or brimstone blast
As you see fit

11-Binder
Know: the Planes+3 (12/12)
THe rest as you see fit from here on out.

12-Hellfire Warlock
HD12-

13-Hellfire Warlock

14-Hellfire Warlock

15-Arcane Trickster
HD15-

16-Arcane Trickster

17-Arcane Trickster

18-Arcane Trickster
HD18-

19-Arcane Trickster

20-Arcane Trickster

Mage Hand Feat @ HD-1st+ Sneak Attack for Expert-1,
3rd HD goes to racial, but Expert-2 is for
flyby attack.Flaws/feats should got towards Prc needs
First, then boosting SLAs/ invocations and extra
invocations later in the build.

Looses a total of 5 caster levels. Has +7D6 Sneak
attack dice. Has 6d6 Damage from Hellfire Blast.
Total Damage:20D6.

SLAs: Mage Hand, Open/close, T's floating Disk,
Detect Magic, Charm, Ghost Sound, Lesser Glowglobe
Invisability, Dispel Magic, Unknow, Suggestion.

A Ladder
2010-01-13, 09:02 PM
cool thanks! any other races that come to mind?

Darrin
2010-01-13, 11:12 PM
cool thanks! any other races that come to mind?

Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures. One of their possible forms is sparrow, a fine-sized bird. At ECL 1 they start with a 50' fly speed, +6 Dex bonus, +8 size bonus, a nekkid AC of 24, and a +14 bonus on ranged touch attacks.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-13, 11:59 PM
Jermaline, MMII. Has no Cha, so not good, but tiny.
Tibbit, Dragon Compendium. Tiny cat with a +4 dex and -10 Str. Can become a halfling if for some reason you don't want to be a cat at some point.
Kobold, MMI. Also gets you Dragonwrought shenanigans.

sofawall
2010-01-14, 12:12 AM
Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures. One of their possible forms is sparrow, a fine-sized bird. At ECL 1 they start with a 20' fly speed, +6 Dex bonus, +8 size bonus, a nekkid AC of 24, and a +14 bonus on ranged touch attacks.

Where are the stats of a sparrow?

Mooch
2010-01-14, 12:18 AM
pixie warlock is a classic

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-14, 10:01 AM
pixie warlock is a classic

It was my inspiration for the Spryte Warlock.:smallsmile:

gorfnab
2010-01-14, 02:22 PM
Beguiler from Shining South is small, -4str, +6 dex, +2int for no LA. Plus its True Sight and Darkvision means you don't have to take the See the Unseen invocation.

subject42
2010-01-14, 02:46 PM
The web supplement kobolds can work, as well. They're small and have slight build, which means that they act as though they are a size smaller when it is beneficial.

sofawall
2010-01-14, 02:55 PM
Beguiler from Shining South is small, -4str, +6 dex, +2int for no LA. Plus its True Sight and Darkvision means you don't have to take the See the Unseen invocation.

Cohort race, though. Even if you ask your DM, they are too powerful, IMO, for an LA+0 as a player race.

deuxhero
2010-01-14, 02:57 PM
Pixie (LA+4), Wisperer Gnome and Strongheart Halfling all come to mind.

Duke of URL
2010-01-14, 02:58 PM
Certain dragon types can get you size Tiny (along with fly speed and some natural armor) for the low, low price of +2 LA and 2-5 RHD. (At least they're dragon RHD, which aren't too bad)

Darrin
2010-01-14, 05:29 PM
Where are the stats of a sparrow?

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe possibly... Oriental Adventures?

Tengu_temp
2010-01-14, 05:38 PM
I just finished making a Tiny warlock. I shall post the build for you my squid faced friend.

Books:
PHB
DMG
Unearthed Arcana
Arcana Unearthed
Comp. Arcane
Fiendish Codex 2
Tome Of Magic

Loresong Faen: -2 Str, +2 Int
CN
Int- Must be highest stat. MUST be at least 14.
Str- Dump.
Wis- Dump
Con- 2nd Highest
Cha- Dump, depending on chosen Invocations.
Dex- 3rd Highest,

1-Expert(UA)
HD1-Spell Hand (Comp. Arcane)
Ex1-Sneak attack (+2D6)

Skills: 6+ int mod (24+(3x4)=36, more is better)
UMD-3
Hide-4
Move Silently-4
Decipher Script-4 (4/7)
Disable Device-4 (4/7)
Escape Artist-4 (4/7)
Know: Arcana-0
Know: The Planes-4
Speak Languages-1 (infernal)
Intimidate-4
Spellcraft-4
Concentration-0

2-Warlock
Inv-Summon Swarm

Skills: 2+3 skill points
Know: Planes+1 (5/12)
Know: Arcana+4 (4/4)

3-Expert(UA)
HD3-Lost to become a Spryte!
Ex2-Flyby Attack

Skills:6+3
Decipher Script+2 (6/7)
Disable Device+2 (6/7)
Escape Artist+0 (4/7)
Know: The Planes+1 (6/12)
Spellcraft+2 (6/6)
Intimidate+2 (6/6)

4-Spryte!
Escape Artist+3 (7/7)
Disable Device+2cc (7/7)

5-Spryte
Decipher Script+2cc (7/7)
Concentration+3

6-Spryte (+2 Dex, -2 Str. Stacks with what the fist set of bonuses)
HD6-

As would be most useful this level.

7-Arcane Trickster
Know: the Planes+3 (9/12)
The rest as you see fit.

8-Arcane Tricster
As you see fit

9-Arcane Trickster
HD9-
As you see fit

10-Arcane Trickster
Env. Hellryme or brimstone blast
As you see fit

11-Binder
Know: the Planes+3 (12/12)
THe rest as you see fit from here on out.

12-Hellfire Warlock
HD12-

13-Hellfire Warlock

14-Hellfire Warlock

15-Arcane Trickster
HD15-

16-Arcane Trickster

17-Arcane Trickster

18-Arcane Trickster
HD18-

19-Arcane Trickster

20-Arcane Trickster

Mage Hand Feat @ HD-1st+ Sneak Attack for Expert-1,
3rd HD goes to racial, but Expert-2 is for
flyby attack.Flaws/feats should got towards Prc needs
First, then boosting SLAs/ invocations and extra
invocations later in the build.

Looses a total of 5 caster levels. Has +7D6 Sneak
attack dice. Has 6d6 Damage from Hellfire Blast.
Total Damage:20D6.

SLAs: Mage Hand, Open/close, T's floating Disk,
Detect Magic, Charm, Ghost Sound, Lesser Glowglobe
Invisability, Dispel Magic, Unknow, Suggestion.

I see several issues with this build.
1. UA generic classes are meant to be a replacement for normal ones, not used alongside them.
2. Where do you get the arcane caster levels needed to become an Arcane Trickster?
3. Sneak Attack is not such a good way of dealing damage - you're limited to a low range and a lot of enemies are immune to it.

Prime32
2010-01-14, 06:13 PM
Petal (MM2 I think) is a very good race for warlocks. Tiny, with flight, DR, and ability boosts in the right places. +2LA and no Hit Dice.

sofawall
2010-01-14, 06:29 PM
1. UA generic classes are meant to be a replacement for normal ones, not used alongside them.
2. Where do you get the arcane caster levels needed to become an Arcane Trickster?
3. Sneak Attack is not such a good way of dealing damage - you're limited to a low range and a lot of enemies are immune to it.

If the only prereq is "Arcane Caster level X", I believe Warlock applies.

Tengu_temp
2010-01-14, 10:35 PM
I thought warlocks counted as arcane casters only for purpose of crafting items, and only starting at a certain level?

Bibliomancer
2010-01-14, 10:44 PM
I thought warlocks counted as arcane casters only for purpose of crafting items, and only starting at a certain level?

I believe that they do get caster levels (allowing them to qualify for certain prestige classes, as mentioned in the Complete Arcane). However, Arcane Trickster requires 2nd or 3rd level spells, plus Mage Hand.

Most DMs won't allow it, but you can play a Fine Half-giant (Dex +8 Str -2 Con -2 roughly) using a spell from the Eberron Campaign Setting cast on a giant repeatedly. LA +1.

sofawall
2010-01-14, 10:51 PM
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe possibly... Oriental Adventures?

Or course, it being a .pdf, I skipped right by it when I hit 'next page'.

Page 18, bottom right.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-15, 11:28 AM

1-Bones to that I say. They are a bit more versatile in play than some other classes and allow you to play what you want instead of another damn clone.
(Why WotC?! Why can I no has Knowledge: History or fine art as a fighter?! jerky jerk JERKFACES!!!:smallfurious::smallyuk::smallfurious: ) Protip: I frigging HATE classes.

2-Look up the Tricklock build. That will explain it for you, as I won't do so here.

3- It's good enough to be the primary feature of several classes. Most things immunity can be gotten around and if not, well you DO have an entire party to help you deal with it after all.

Eloel
2010-01-15, 11:47 AM
(Why WotC?! Why can I no has Knowledge: History or fine art as a fighter?! jerky jerk JERKFACES!!!:smallfurious::smallyuk::smallfurious: )

You can. You just can't be as good as someone who dedicates his life to knowledge at it.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-15, 12:19 PM
You can. You just can't be as good as someone who dedicates his life to knowledge at it.

and why can't a fighter do just that? he gets skills and skill points too! why must the things he knows be the same as every fighter ever? This goes for all classes. (Filthy, filthy classes. We hateses thems we do:smallfurious:)

But this is off topic! MOAR TINY RACES! :smallbiggrin:

I've always wanted to try one of theose little ferret gardinals. Maybe as a former familiar, out to avenge the death of his master.

Heliomance
2010-01-15, 12:47 PM
Petal (MM2 I think) is a very good race for warlocks. Tiny, with flight, DR, and ability boosts in the right places. +2LA and no Hit Dice.

MM3. They get +10 Dex. Seriously. They are listed as a cohort only race, but your DM might let you anyway.

Optimystik
2010-01-15, 01:10 PM

Knowledge of history should be part of a fighter's education though - legendary battles, strategy and tactics, famous generals, the founding of nations etc. Even Paladins and Knights don't get it, and that makes zero sense.

Optimystik
2010-01-15, 01:32 PM
I've always wanted to try one of theose little ferret gardinals. Maybe as a former familiar, out to avenge the death of his master.

Mustevals are terrible. For +5 LA you get: Invisibility only 1/day, and a host of useless SLAs like detect magic and see invisibility that you could easily UMD yourself. You have to burn an invocation to fly.

They get magic missile at will (use EB instead) and can move before and after a standard action, but with flyby attack you don't need that anyway.

You also have to be NG, which Warlocks cannot be normally - another deal breaker.

If you must be a celestial, be a Coure Eladrin (CG) instead. For the same +5 LA you get: natural flight (60 ft. perfect), Magic Circle against Evil on at all times (read: immune to mind affecting for your entire party, AC bonus etc.), Faerie Fire at will (negates concealment), Incorporeal at will, and higher Dex and Cha (both key for warlocks.) The alignment matches too.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-15, 01:41 PM
Oh I wouldn't play one as a Warlock. Maybe Arcane Hunting Ranger into witchhunter or something. And I'm confidant I could stack enough miss chances on it to stay safe. Honestly, It'd just be a flavor build and the concept of an avenging familiar sounds neat :smallsmile: