PDA

View Full Version : You heard that? You must have eagle ears or something! (3.5)

ObsidianRose
2010-01-13, 11:50 PM
Eagle Ears
Illusion
Level: Brd 0, Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Within earshot
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Blessed with a newfound confidence in his senses, the target gains all the sharp perception of the eagle. The target gets a +20 on all listen checks, unless he fails his will save. The target must will himself to never think about how little sense this spell makes. Each round, the target must make the will save again. The target must also make a will save any time another creature says eagle ears, or points out that eagles don't have ears.

Should the target fail on his save, he must make a DC 0 Knowledge (nature) check to realize the anatomy of an eagle.

Material components: Severed eagle ear, or bottled delusion.

Eagle Claw (Spelltouched)
This warrior has assumed the true form of the eagle. He is a swift and perceptive hunter.

Prerequisite: Successfully saved against an Eagle Ears spell

Benefit: Any time the creature realizes that his eagle ears are worthless, he becomes enraged. Gains the benefits of a whirling frenzy rage (+4 to strength, +2 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex, one extra attack per round but all attacks are made at -2 to hit), as well as two claw attacks appropriate to the creature's size.

JoshuaZ
2010-01-13, 11:54 PM
Eagle Ears
Illusion
Level: Brd 0, Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Within earshot
Target: 1 creature
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Blessed with a newfound confidence in his senses, the target gains all the sharp perception of the eagle. The target gets a +20 on all listen checks, unless he makes his will save. The creature cannot voluntarily fail this save. Each round, the target must make the will save again. The target must also make a will save any time another creature says eagle ears, or points out that eagles don't have ears.

Should the target succeed on his save, he must make a DC 0 Knowledge (nature) check to realize the anatomy of an eagle.

Eagle Claw (Spelltouched)
This warrior has assumed the true form of the eagle. He is a swift and perceptive hunter.

Prerequisite: Successfully saved against an Eagle Ears spell

Benefit: Any time the creature realizes that his eagle ears are worthless, he becomes enraged. Gains the benefits of a whirling frenzy rage (+4 to strength, +2 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex, one extra attack per round but all attacks are made at -2 to hit), as well as two claw attacks appropriate to the creature's size.

Eagles have ears. They just don't have a fleshy outer ear. I also don't see why there's so much of a need to save against this. It doesn't seem to have any negative impact. I'm a bit confused. There's probably some joke here I'm missing.

Soterion
2010-01-13, 11:55 PM
The target must also make a will save any time another creature says eagle ears, or points out that eagles don't have ears.

Ah, but the target should also get a bonus to their will save if they point out that eagles do have ears, just not external ones.

Hyooz
2010-01-14, 12:37 AM
You could always say that eagles aren't particularly famous for their hearing though.

Still, a buff spell with a will save? That's... weird as all hell.

Soterion
2010-01-14, 12:44 AM
Actually, I'm surprised there aren't more buffs with will saves. If you're casting a spell designed to amplify another's natural abilities (or your own) that's going to require some concentration, which means you're more likely to get distracted--in other words, fail a will save.

KBF
2010-01-14, 01:26 AM
Actually, I'm surprised there aren't more buffs with will saves. If you're casting a spell designed to amplify another's natural abilities (or your own) that's going to require some concentration, which means you're more likely to get distracted--in other words, fail a will save.

The target has to succeed on a will save. Or realize that eagles don't have ears.

Then they rage instead.

Soterion
2010-01-14, 01:29 AM
Okay, yeah, that is weird. What if I cast Eagle Ears on a target without their knowledge? Would they have to make a will save then?

Player #1: "...so then I cut off some eagle ears--"
GM: "Player #2, make a will save."
Player #2: "Why? What for?"

Agi Hammerthief
2010-01-14, 02:53 AM
why an illusion spell for hearing enhancement?

Stompy
2010-01-14, 09:09 AM
Should the target succeed on his save, he must make a DC 0 Knowledge (nature) check to realize the anatomy of an eagle.

Silly question, but what if I fail this check? (6 INT no ranks roll a 1) Does that mean I realize the anatomy of an eagle wrong?

Latronis
2010-01-14, 09:19 AM
stranger things have happened

Though iirc you can't get it negatives

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-14, 09:22 AM
Given some listed DCs for Listen checks, you can certainly get negative skill check results.

The range on this is "within earshot". That could potentially be really big. Combine with Dazzling Illusion (or whatever the CMage feat was) to have a long-range area debuff (it's only -1, but Mass Long-Range Flare for a cantrip is useful for battles)

ObsidianRose
2010-01-14, 10:31 PM
@KBF: I think you're on to the right idea. Implementing

@Hammerthief: The point is that the spell tricks you into thinking you have good hearing. The increased confidence gives you the boost.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-14, 11:23 PM
why an illusion spell for hearing enhancement?

That's my major concern, as well.

"Hey, here's my new blasty spell. It deals 2d6 electricity damage to anyone who touches me for a minute per caster level. School? Oh, divination." :smallconfused:

Vaynor
2010-01-14, 11:31 PM
@KBF: I think you're on to the right idea. Implementing

@Hammerthief: The point is that the spell tricks you into thinking you have good hearing. The increased confidence gives you the boost.

Tricking someone into thinking their hearing has improved is still enchantment though, there is no illusion involved here whatsoever.

Temotei
2010-01-14, 11:35 PM
Pretty sure that's the joke. I think it's supposed to be funny, like that brain bleach spell a while back.

imp_fireball
2010-01-15, 01:28 AM
Eagles have ears. They just don't have a fleshy outer ear.

Make it a DC 15 Knowledge Nature check to realize that eagles do in fact, have ears after all (and how often does anybody in the middle ages get to closely examine an eagle? Unless they're druids who can talk them down from their perch.). :smalltongue:

imp_fireball
2010-01-15, 01:30 AM
Silly question, but what if I fail this check? (6 INT no ranks roll a 1) Does that mean I realize the anatomy of an eagle wrong?

It means you don't what an eagle is.

INT 4 - You don't what an eagle means, or you've never heard the word eagle. Or maybe you've forgot.

INT 3 - Eagle funny word! Funny words make no sense. No need for learnings.

NOTE: You can never roll less than a 1, so the point is moot.

Latronis
2010-01-15, 02:00 AM
Make it a DC 15 Knowledge Nature check to realize that eagles do in fact, have ears after all (and how often does anybody in the middle ages get to closely examine an eagle? Unless they're druids who can talk them down from their perch.). :smalltongue:

You mean before or after eating it?