PDA

View Full Version : PEACH (more) new feats (3.5)

Harperfan7
2010-01-14, 01:04 AM
Parry
Pre: Dex 13+, Int 13+, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise
Benefit: Whenever you are targeted by anything that requires an attack roll that isn't a ranged touch or a ray, you can expend an attack of opportunity to try to parry their attack. This functions as an opposed attack roll. You must declare that you are parrying before you know the result of their attack roll. If your attack roll is higher than theirs, you parry the attack. You cannot make more parries in any one round than you have attacks in a full attack action. Your first parry in a round uses your full attack bonus, the second uses your first iterative attack, and so on.

If you are fighting with two weapons, you may parry with either at your discretion and may make as many parries as you have attacks with both weapons up to your max number of AoO‘s per round. If you are hasted or are using a weapon with the speed enchantment, you gain an extra parry each round (up to your max number of AoO's).

For each size category larger than yours a weapon is, you suffer a -2 penalty to your parry roll (if you are parrying with a shield, this penalty is halved). If your opponent is using power attack, you take a penalty to your parry roll equal to the bonus damage the opponent receives from power attack (if you are parrying with a shield, this penalty is halved). If you use combat expertise while parrying, you also gain the ac bonus to your parry roll.

If you are two weapon fighting with a shield via improved shield bash and you use your shield to make a parry, you gain its shield bonus to armor class to your parry roll (but not its enhancement bonus if it’s enchanted as a weapon) and suffer no two weapon fighting penalty. You cannot use a currently animated animating shield to parry.

You can only make one parry attempt for each enemy attack roll. Every attack you use to parry with, you lose during the following round (they reset at the end of your turn). You have to be aware of an attack to parry it, though you can parry flat-footed because of combat reflexes.

Improved Parry
Pre: Dex 13+, Int 13+, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Parry
Benefit: Any size penalty your weapon/shield receives when parrying a larger weapon is lessened by 2.

Temotei
2010-01-14, 06:38 PM
Does Improved Parry make light weapons have a +0 modifier on parries then, since it's -2 to the penalty and a +2 bonus?

I think this could be greatly abused. Combat Reflexes + high Dexterity + attack bonus abuse = never getting hit in melee. This is potentially better than Epic Dodge (a weak feat, but epic nonetheless).

Just be aware of that.

Do you use attacks of opportunity from your last round (say you normally have three attacks of opportunity--you use one on your turn, then they attack you. You attempt to parry twice. Does that use up the rest of the attacks of opportunity, or does it use two from next round?) or next round?

Harperfan7
2010-01-15, 01:45 AM
Does Improved Parry make light weapons have a +0 modifier on parries then, since it's -2 to the penalty and a +2 bonus?

I think this could be greatly abused. Combat Reflexes + high Dexterity + attack bonus abuse = never getting hit in melee. This is potentially better than Epic Dodge (a weak feat, but epic nonetheless).

Just be aware of that.

Do you use attacks of opportunity from your last round (say you normally have three attacks of opportunity--you use one on your turn, then they attack you. You attempt to parry twice. Does that use up the rest of the attacks of opportunity, or does it use two from next round?) or next round?

Yes, +0 total.

Yes, it's possible to have a high number of attacks and a high attack bonus and be really freaking hard to hit, but if they sunder your weapon, disarm you, swarm you, and so on, you're pretty screwed.

When do you use attacks of opportunity on your turn? The parrying itself goes on during someone elses turn, like other AoOs.

Temotei
2010-01-15, 05:10 PM
Yes, +0 total.

Yes, it's possible to have a high number of attacks and a high attack bonus and be really freaking hard to hit, but if they sunder your weapon, disarm you, swarm you, and so on, you're pretty screwed.

When do you use attacks of opportunity on your turn? The parrying itself goes on during someone elses turn, like other AoOs.

My bad. I worded that so poorly that I don't even know what I was trying to say. I blame it on staying up late.

Disarming doesn't work very well against someone with a big two-handed weapon with a ton of Strength. Sundering doesn't work well because...it sucks. No DM should subject you to sunder unless you have an arbitrarily high amount of weapons, and even then, I wouldn't do it. It's just not nice.

Swarming, on the other hand, is a problem. As long as you're not completely stupid though, you should be okay.

Harperfan7
2010-01-15, 07:16 PM
My bad. I worded that so poorly that I don't even know what I was trying to say. I blame it on staying up late.

Disarming doesn't work very well against someone with a big two-handed weapon with a ton of Strength. Sundering doesn't work well because...it sucks. No DM should subject you to sunder unless you have an arbitrarily high amount of weapons, and even then, I wouldn't do it. It's just not nice.

Swarming, on the other hand, is a problem. As long as you're not completely stupid though, you should be okay.

That's ok.

Well, grappling then disarming might work better.

I houseruled that weapons, armor, and shields can have a "broken" status and can be repaired with craft checks or make whole spells. You'd think this would already exist, but whatever.

But yeah, I think the feat isn't too powerful. It just adds some depth to combat and provides more options and tactics to consider.

Taffeta
2010-01-19, 11:51 AM
Might I recommend that you include Combat Expertise as part of the prereqs, and perhaps a required part of the ability itself? It seems well suited to the task, and might reduce the math involved in softening this strong ability.

Jane_Smith
2010-01-19, 01:04 PM
I houseruled that weapons, armor, and shields can have a "broken" status and can be repaired with craft checks or make whole spells. You'd think this would already exist, but whatever.

-wakes up, crawls out of her lair and whacks you on the head- Broken status does exsist. Thats why mending spell exsists. Sundering? Rolling 1 and critical fumbles? etc.

Craft skill even says;

Repairing Items
Generally, you can repair an item by making checks against the same DC that it took to make the item in the first place. The cost of repairing an item is one-fifth of the item’s price.

For non-magical repair means.

-crawls back into lair, tries to snoozes... blasted insomnia!- :smallfurious:

Harperfan7
2010-01-19, 01:18 PM
Might I recommend that you include Combat Expertise as part of the prereqs, and perhaps a required part of the ability itself? It seems well suited to the task, and might reduce the math involved in softening this strong ability.

Hmmm, make combat expertise a prerequisite and make it so that the bonus adds to your parry roll in addition to armor class, while subtracting from your attack rolls as normal. This would make sense, but potentially just makes this ability better.

@Jane_Smith: I was refering to magical items.

Taffeta
2010-01-19, 02:03 PM
Perhaps require the use of combat expertise for parry to be functional in a round.
Also remember that a normal attack of opportunity is (I believe) still covered by the attack penalty of combat expertise, and thus should probably affect this parry, making the parry's ability to utterly negate an attack somewhat less effective, but overall increasing your defense regardless.
Which makes sense fluffily, diffusing the power of a blow even if it isn't stopped altogether.

For instance: PC (Dex +3, AC 10) declares Combat Expertise, taking a penalty of -2 on all attacks, gaining +2 armor class, and allowing parry.
Mook attacks AC 15. Before this attack is resolved, PC declares the use of Parry, rolling (10 +3 Dex -2 CE) 11. Mook rolls 13, knocking aside the parry, but still failing to hit AC 15.

As your stats and attack bonus climb, this clearly becomes much much stronger, as one would expect. But by forcing feat requirements, I feel it evens out. If not, you could use it as a class feature instead, and call it a day.

Jane_Smith
2010-01-19, 04:35 PM
@Harperfan7: Magic items can be damaged/broken. It requires a magical item of the same power level (CL) or higher, or in weapon/armor/shield terms, an equal or better enchantment bonus. And you can use the craft skill to repair magical weapons, armor, and shields - but it will be costly considering that 1/5th price includes enchantment bonuses. Make Whole I beleive also works on magical materials.

And if you just wanted to make magic items more vulnerable, just say weapons, armor, and shields get bonus hardness equal to their enchantment value, and all magic items get +1 hp/per caster level used to make them. So a 20th level, +5 scimitar of wounding speed would get +5 hardness, +20 hp. Heh, but I think players would cry. The reason for this "only better can break" enchantment/magic item rules is because no player likes having their investments so easily snapped in half.

jiriku
2010-01-19, 04:47 PM

You'll parry on your turn when you invoke attacks of opportunity from others. For example, you might choose to move past two opponents to reach a third, or move up to an opponent who has substantial reach. You'll draw attacks of opportunity, but can parry to cover yourself.

You should clarify, does the parry attempt need to be declared before the attacker rolls? It should be, and it looks like it does, but it's not explicitly stated.

Also, why is the parry attempt limited to weapons? Couldn't you also parry an unarmed strike or a natural weapon? Also, can you parry spells that require an attack roll? For example, a cleric is trying to touch you with an inflict spell, or a wizard is trying to strike you with a shivering touch. Can you parry? can you parry spells that create magic weapons, such as flame blade, spiritual weapon and mordenkainen's sword? How about a scorching ray?

Mikka
2010-01-19, 10:42 PM
Make an addition, you can only parry opponents the same size or smaller than you. . i don't really like the thought of the swashbuckler parrying the hill giants club attacks again and again with his little knife :)

. . . size bonus is not enough. . . actually. . -1 to your parry per strength bonus the enemy has. . so a 32 strength frost giant reduces the parry by -11

that or the standard D&D style size difference for all combat moves. . -4/+4 per, only you don't get any bonus to parry smaller opponents. . but for each size category larger the opponent is you get -4 to parry. . i think thats the best thats most in line with the D&D style. . the feat is still really really badass compared to say. dodge and expertise.

Harperfan7
2010-01-20, 01:02 AM
What you said

Noted. I would say they reset at the end of your turn (you can parry others' attacks, then use whats left on your turn).

You need to say you are parrying before they roll.

You should be able to parry anything that uses an attack roll that isn't a ranged touch attack or a ray. I would think parrying a shocking grasp melee touch would have complications, but I need to think about that first.

@mikka: I can't believe I forgot size penalties to parry (I agree with your third paragraph).

@Jane_Smith: I think there's been some miscommunication. I know magic items can be broken. What I'm saying is that once broken, they can't be fixed (and keep their magic). If I'm wrong, please show me the page.

EDIT: As it now stands, parrying a giants club with a dagger is very difficult, even for a master of parrying. However, parrying with a shield is significantly easier.
(7th level elf fighter - assumed to have improved parry, weapon finesse, and weapon focus dagger)
+1 Dagger +1
20 Dex +5
7 bab +7
5 combat expertise +5
dagger focus +1

Total +19

Trying to parry a hill giants greatclub (-4), who is full power attacking (-10)
Great club +11

19 – 14 = +5 vs. +11 (+3 vs. +11 if two weapon fighting)

(7th level elf fighter - twf, imp shield bash, weapon finesse, and imp parry)
+3 light Shield +4
20 Dex +5
7 bab +7
5 combat expertise +5

Total +21

Trying to parry a hill giants greatclub (-2), who is full power attacking (-5)
Great club +11
21 - 7 = +14 vs. +11