PDA

View Full Version : Need Magic System help

Thayus
2010-01-14, 05:02 AM
I'm putting together a magic system for a game I might be GMing fairly soon, and I'm stuck.

For setting-based reasons, I want to have 5 metaphysical types or ways of doing magic and 5 physical ways.

I've got the metaphysical ones, but I can only come up with 4 physical categories.

Alchemy - combine magic ingredients for a variety of effects
Deifacting - putting a new magical effect into the structure of an object
Geosculpture - relating to the natural flows of mana. Good for feng shui stuff, ley lines, etc.
Vitaformatics - magic related to changing living things

I can't think of a final one. Necromancy is out (one of the "unnatural" fields of magic), and so is summoning. I'm considering something sonic- or light-based, but it doesn't seem to quite fit.

Anyone have an idea?

-Thayus

kamikasei
2010-01-14, 05:05 AM
Divination? Missed the bit about physical as versus metaphysical. Telekinesis/pyrokinesis?

Alcopop
2010-01-14, 05:22 AM
Blood Magic is an obvious pick for containing a physical element. though it seems a bit clumsy as is.

You could have a magic based on frequency & waves/vibrations, this fits into both a sonic/light theme. I'd probably add some kind of focus jems for effect.

Thayus
2010-01-14, 05:43 AM
Divination is metaphysical, I've decided. There's a strong spiritual/intuitive component involved, and the various ways and means are about opening up internal sight. Example: If you want to know if a man's life will be peaceful through astrology, you want to cancel out all other influences so that you can gain a sense of the influence of Mars on this person.

The five metaphysical ones are

-Beckon - calling spirits, elementals, etc.
-Divination - covers every form of divination;
-Shaping - raw magical energy manipulation, as close as the setting get to metamagic
-Prayer - worship might be a better term, this is all about channeling worship energies to the worshiped entities in a useful fashion
-Ward - this is all about the use of spiritual antithesis, whether to block off or drive out(exorcise).

Edit: Telekenesis is a little too psi. Blood magic would probably either be Vitaformatics, Prayer, or Necromancy (which is "unnatural" and not part of the main system).

Edit: Given some of the source material, a sound/light pattern/wave/frequency-based field is making more and more sense, but what to call it?

-Thayus

BobVosh
2010-01-14, 05:48 AM
The big problem is you basically have covered everything. You have peoplealive stuff, places, things, and combining magic. Also 9 is a good number, very classic mystic. A trio of 3, although you have it sorted out other wise.

I personally recommend splitting the animals and plants into their own sections. Although obviously the plant one will need a lot of love to get it up to being equal with enchanting up people.

Thayus
2010-01-14, 05:56 AM
Oh, these are very broad fields, and were divided as such during the Obligatory Ancient Doomed Golden Age. The surviving traditions will tend to be very grab-bag and mix-match.

-Thayus

BobVosh
2010-01-14, 06:01 AM
You have one for the inclusion of magic. Does that also cover the removal/destruction of magic?

Cyclocone
2010-01-14, 06:19 AM
Edit: Given some of the source material, a sound/light pattern/wave/frequency-based field is making more and more sense, but what to call it?

-Thayus

If you want something wave-based, you could go with something ripple or polarization related.

Light patterns could just be illumination.