PDA

View Full Version : Duration of Invocations

SethFahad
2010-01-14, 05:53 AM
Ok, I'm a bit confused.
The See the Unseen Warlock Invocation

When you use this invocation, you can activate great powers of vision, allowing you to see invisible creatures and objects (as see invisibility). You also gain darkvision out to 60 feet for a period of 24 hours.

So, what is the duration? 24 hours? Or is there a different duration for see invisible creatures and a different duration for darkvision?

I find duration of invocations kinda mess...

What is the duration of invocations?
Switch on as a standard action and switch off whenever you like (again as a standard action)?
Is it by the spell which the invo imitates?
Is it for one round?
All of the above? (or some of the above?)

Some invocations are pretty clear about the duration(f.e. spiderwalk) but others are not.
When it says "as the x spell" is duration and area included?

BobVosh
2010-01-14, 05:56 AM
I would hazard a guess yes, and also that it doesn't matter. You can use em infinite times a day.

I would rule both functions of see the unseen function 24 hours/cast, however RAW seems to say rounds/level and 24 hours.

SethFahad
2010-01-14, 06:00 AM
and also that it doesn't matter. You can use em infinite times a day.

No. It does matter. It's a standard action. You can have only one standard action per round. So...

Tokiko Mima
2010-01-14, 06:05 AM
I had a DM who decided to suddenly start enforcing durations on unlimited recasting invocations. So I drew up an hourly schedule next session, and had him tell me when certain times of the day were, so I could tell him I was spending 5 rounds recasting all my buffs so they would always be active.

After that, we decided that that wasn't a good idea, and just let Invocations be 24 hours in duration, because it's a pain for everyone for it not to be that way.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-14, 06:09 AM
The type of vision granted is as the See Invisibility spell, with 60 ft. darkvision in addition to that. The duration of the entire effect is given at the end, 24 hours. You have the entire effect active for the entire duration. See Invisibility does not require concentration or any sort of action or effort beyond just looking in order to gain its benefit for the entire 10 minutes/level duration of its effect, and neither should See the Unseen. When you use this invocation, you can see invisible creatures as described in See Invisibility and you also gain Darkvision out to 60 ft. for the next 24 hours, this effect is active as long as your eyes are open.

SethFahad
2010-01-14, 06:17 AM
The type of vision granted is as the See Invisibility spell, with 60 ft. darkvision in addition to that. The duration of the entire effect is given at the end, 24 hours. You have the entire effect active for the entire duration. See Invisibility does not require concentration or any sort of action or effort beyond just looking in order to gain its benefit for the entire 10 minutes/level duration of its effect, and neither should See the Unseen. When you use this invocation, you can see invisible creatures as described in See Invisibility and you also gain Darkvision out to 60 ft. for the next 24 hours, this effect is active as long as your eyes are open.

So see invisibility lasts 24 hour plus darkvision last 24 hours too?

What about other invocations that simply say "as the x spell"? What is the duration then? (f.e. darkness)

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-14, 06:18 AM
Assume to be same duration as base spell unless stated otherwise.

Runestar
2010-01-14, 06:48 AM
Assuming the player simply refreshes the invocation every chance he gets, I see little point in enforcing their duration anyways.

In fact, those with long durations may as well be undispellable. For example, my warlock could cast fell flight 100 times each morning. Any wizard wishing to get rid of that will have to succeed 100 times in succession.

Watch out for voracious dispelling though. :smallyuk:

Duke of URL
2010-01-14, 07:21 AM
So see invisibility lasts 24 hour plus darkvision last 24 hours too?

What about other invocations that simply say "as the x spell"? What is the duration then? (f.e. darkness)

The invocations that act "as the x spell" do just that, except as indicated.

On the 24-hour invocations, I find it simpler to rule them as permanent unless dismissed or dispelled.

Dhavaer
2010-01-14, 07:50 AM

Reciprocal Gyre, too.

Duke of URL
2010-01-14, 08:17 AM
In fact, those with long durations may as well be undispellable. For example, my warlock could cast fell flight 100 times each morning. Any wizard wishing to get rid of that will have to succeed 100 times in succession.

I'm not sure of the actual RAW here, but as a DM, I'd rule that recasting the same personal invocation simply "resets" it and the durations don't stack. Of course, if you've already ruled it as "always active unless there's a good reason for it to not be", then resetting the duration is pointless anyway.

Runestar
2010-01-14, 08:47 AM
It follows the same rules as spells. Say a fighter has 2 bull's strength cast on him. Their benefits do not stack, but he has 2 copies running concurrently (so a wizard would need to succeed on 2 dispel checks to get rid of them both and deny him its benefit. They are still tracked as 2 separate spells.

People normally won't attempt this with vancian spellcasters, since it is not an efficient use of their limited resources (you are better off casting bull's strength on 2 different people, rather than both on the same person). But with "casters" who effectively get at-will abilities, there really isn't any reason not to spam them every opportunity you get.

I did this with a ghaele PC I once played. Once he got aid and cure light wounds usable at will, I was using them every chance I got to maintain the party at 101% strength (CLW to keep them at full hp, aid for the semi-perma bless effect). :smallsmile: