PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking for a level 3+ urban module

Myou
2010-01-14, 08:12 AM
I have a game starting soon for a couple of level 3 characters, and I need an adventure set in a large city (or at least a town), hopefully one that centres on or at least includes an inn of some sort. Can anyone suggest any modules?

Harperfan7
2010-01-14, 11:02 AM
This is way too general, sir. Pretty much any 3rd (or any other level) adventure can be this.

Myou
2010-01-14, 12:09 PM
This is way too general, sir. Pretty much any 3rd (or any other level) adventure can be this.

I'm looking for one set in a city rather than wilderness or dungeon, preferably costal, preferably centred on an inn or other social meeting place.

olelia
2010-01-14, 02:03 PM
Hack and slash
Heavy roleplaying
Half/Half?

I guess more specific information would be appreciated.

Pink
2010-01-14, 02:12 PM
Have you heard of Ptolus by any chance? Seems to meet your setting description, and I believe the module "night of dissolution" is a level 3 starting module.

Lapak
2010-01-14, 02:24 PM
This is not super-likely to be helpful, but the general description fits one of my favorite short adventures from 2nd edition: "...And A Dozen Eggs", from the July/August 1991 issue of Dungeon. It would require that you track it down somehow AND convert it, which is why I doubt it's helpful as a complete module, but if you want to build your own off of a concept, here's the plot in a nutshell:
A foolish wizard purchased some large eggs as a curiosity, intending to study them. They hatched while he slept, and the creatures inside - baby dinosaurs - escaped into the sewers of the city. The PCs are offered a bounty if they can track down and capture or slay the beasts before they grow so large as to be a danger to the city above.

There's a dozen dinosaurs in the maze of sewers - you could shrink down some Elasmosauruses (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm#elasmosaurus), perhaps - and various other sewer encounters, including-but-not-limited-to a wererat gang that has chained one in a dead-end. The gang leader pretends to be a townsman who spotted one of the beasts and leads bounty hunters there in order to trap them between the dinosaur and his gang and slaughter them.

An inn could serve as the PC base of operations, as an entry point to the sewers, as a place to meet the NPC under the spoiler, or as the depot where successful hunters collect their bounty.

Crow
2010-01-14, 02:35 PM
You can also use some pre-made modules and tweak a few things here and there to fit in an urban environment. Caves can easily become sewers or warehouses. Camps can easily become taverns or inns.

Myou
2010-01-14, 05:20 PM
Hack and slash
Heavy roleplaying
Half/Half?

I guess more specific information would be appreciated.

I didn't specify because I'm interested in any modules that fit my request. Combat heavy is best, but I make changes along the way anyway.

Have you heard of Ptolus by any chance? Seems to meet your setting description, and I believe the module "night of dissolution" is a level 3 starting module.

Is Ptolus a campaing setting or a gaming system?

Well, I want something with stat blocks that won't need too much adaptation, but I could look at the ideas in it, thanks.

You can also use some pre-made modules and tweak a few things here and there to fit in an urban environment. Caves can easily become sewers or warehouses. Camps can easily become taverns or inns.

Certainly I could, but I'd prefer something actually in a city, rather than retextured caves.

Pink
2010-01-14, 05:28 PM
Ptolus is kinda "the" urban metropolis DnD setting. It's one of Monte Cook's babies. He has a small number of campaigns published for it, however the campaign book itself is also filled with 'dungeon' locations and plot hooks and stated baddies if you want to do your own thing too.

I believe there's also the shackled city modules/setting from dragon (or is it dungeon?) Magazine, can't remember the starting level for that though.

Jastermereel
2010-01-15, 01:57 AM
It's two levels too low, but would something like The Forgotten Forge (Eberron) be what you're looking for?

It's funny you're asking about a ~3 level urban module now as that's what I'm doing. I just brought my level 3 group into a city, but I couldn't find much to work from so I'm cribbing notes from various modules in that sequence.

Myou
2010-01-15, 03:39 AM
Ptolus is kinda "the" urban metropolis DnD setting. It's one of Monte Cook's babies. He has a small number of campaigns published for it, however the campaign book itself is also filled with 'dungeon' locations and plot hooks and stated baddies if you want to do your own thing too.

I believe there's also the shackled city modules/setting from dragon (or is it dungeon?) Magazine, can't remember the starting level for that though.

Ahhhh. Dragon/Dungeon stuff I can't get, but I'll see if I can find any modules from Ptolus.

It's two levels too low, but would something like The Forgotten Forge (Eberron) be what you're looking for?

It's funny you're asking about a ~3 level urban module now as that's what I'm doing. I just brought my level 3 group into a city, but I couldn't find much to work from so I'm cribbing notes from various modules in that sequence.

I'll try The Forgotten Forge, I can advance enemies, etc, so that might be good.

There seem to be very few appropriate modules.

Armoury99
2010-01-15, 06:30 AM
Are you still looking? Ifso I biasedly recommend Desire and the Dead (http://www.planewalker.com/sites/www.planewalker.com/files/Desire_And_The_Dead.pdf).

Why?

- Its set in Sigil - Greatest metropolis in the multiverse!
- Its designed for 3rd level characters, either "planar adventurers" or regular PCs
- Its the epitome of "not a dungeon adventure" (lots of NPC interraction, intrigue, philosphy, consequences of PC actions... and some rip roaring fights)
- The setting has Ptolus-level detail.
- Err, because I wrote it [/shameless plug] :smallsmile:

Plus Planescape is the best campaign setting ever.

Eldan
2010-01-15, 07:31 AM
Tch. You know, armoury, it's usually my job to promote that adventure on these forums :smallwink:

I'm actually running it right now.

Myou
2010-01-15, 11:52 AM
Are you still looking? Ifso I biasedly recommend Desire and the Dead (http://www.planewalker.com/sites/www.planewalker.com/files/Desire_And_The_Dead.pdf).

Why?

- Its set in Sigil - Greatest metropolis in the multiverse!
- Its designed for 3rd level characters, either "planar adventurers" or regular PCs
- Its the epitome of "not a dungeon adventure" (lots of NPC interraction, intrigue, philosphy, consequences of PC actions... and some rip roaring fights)
- The setting has Ptolus-level detail.
- Err, because I wrote it [/shameless plug] :smallsmile:

Plus Planescape is the best campaign setting ever.

Oooh, thanks! I'll check it out. :smallsmile:

Pigkappa
2010-01-15, 12:09 PM
Daggers at midnight: http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=3773

It is quite short, but still decent IMO. Everything happens in a town or a small city. The town must have access to the sea and a decent dock. It's for 3rd edition, but easily adaptable, and I think it could be funny.

IIRC, no city inn is particularly important, however.

Myou
2010-01-15, 12:59 PM
Daggers at midnight: http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=3773

It is quite short, but still decent IMO. Everything happens in a town or a small city. The town must have access to the sea and a decent dock. It's for 3rd edition, but easily adaptable, and I think it could be funny.

IIRC, no city inn is particularly important, however.

Ohhh, this looks promising, thanks!