PDA

View Full Version : Wind Wall

mr.fizzypop
2010-01-14, 03:03 PM
Okay, so I have a player in my pathfinder campaign, who decided to be sorcerer. He wants to modify/create some spells, so I've decided it must be critiqued by the playground first.

So for right now, he wants to alter the effects of windwall. He wants to decrease the area of effect, and instead make it so the effect follows him around. What he plans on doing, is using something to fly, and casting windwall in a cylinder around himself, and thus being protected from most range attacks, and still be able to move around and cast from inside.

So is that fair? Should I allow him to create it? If so what level would it be? And how much of an area effect decrease could counter balance it?

Starbuck_II
2010-01-14, 03:10 PM
So basically a Glove of Invulnerbility but wind?
He wants it in a cylinder: Does he mean 10-ft.-radius spherical emanation instead?
Hmm, I'd say 4th level.

Slayn82
2010-01-14, 03:13 PM
Wind Wall is area protection against projectiles. By making it mobile, you are allowing it to adapt to diferent situations.

For instance, it can be used to block some breath attacks, like the ones of most dragons (including red, green and white). While blocking arrows and other projectiles.

For a personal only spell, i would say around level 5. Being personal prevents it from being chained to the entire party. If he wants to protect the party, he will have to ready an action to cast a conventional wind wall.

For duration, if its rounds/level, you could add the fly effect to the same spell. If its minutes per level or more, add nothing. Even 10 min per level could be reasonable in most cases if the spell is just personal and dont gives flying. If its not personal, make duration a minute/level (and a level 6 spell).