PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Berserker+ Blazing Berserker=? [3.5]

deuxhero
2010-01-14, 03:06 PM
How do the two stack? You are immune to fire and ice, but take extra damage from fire and ice. Does anyone else think of this (http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Melting_Ice_Cube)?

Blazing Berserker (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050304a&page=3)

Coidzor
2010-01-14, 03:10 PM
Well, you're immune to both, so you can't take extra damage from either. Or damage at all. Unless you come up against Cindy or some other caster with that overcoming energy immunities metamagic/feat. Then, maybe the extra damage would apply. Quite possibly, anyway.

And they're the two most common immunities anyway, so it's not like the character is gaining something esoterically rare.

I'm fairly sure they're not even mutually exclusive.

deuxhero
2010-01-14, 04:22 PM
Yes it is far from overpowered, but the mental image of someone that did take both is very very silly.

Coidzor
2010-01-14, 04:35 PM
That's Brabarians for you. I've always viewed them as sort of tragicomic like the Dwarf Fortress Dorfs myself.

As far as visuals go, I favor the patchwork interpretation. There's spots, shifting across the brabarian's body, that are freezing, thawing, steaming(sublimating, even), in various stages of blazing up and dying down in terms of flames, and generally making the area around them feel a bit muggy.

And whenever they get cut their wounds freeze up and then the ice-scabs catch on fire and the wounds are cauterized or something. (At least, if I'm recalling correctly either the prereq for frozen berserker or frozen berserker makes one have freezing blood such that wounding weapons don't get any special abilities against them.

deuxhero
2010-01-14, 04:42 PM
That is a frostrager (requires frozen zerker) ability, though I would take it if I wanted to go the full way.

Reaper_Monkey
2010-01-14, 05:28 PM
A frostburn barbarian, clearly. :smallbiggrin:

But yes, you'd be immune to both (assuming you can stack the subtypes which I'm pretty sure you can), but if anything bypasses that immunity (there are numerous ways to do this, mostly meta-magic stuff) then you take the additional damage as appropriate.

By no means overpowered even if you could keep up infinite raging, its only two elemental immunities at the end of the day, easy to get around.

deuxhero
2010-01-14, 05:33 PM
Infinite rage? How?

Starbuck_II
2010-01-14, 05:35 PM
Infinite rage? How?

Berserker Strength Variant has infinite Rage as long as hp = Barb lv x5.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-14, 07:05 PM
Berserker Strength Variant has infinite Rage as long as hp = Barb lv x5.

Which is bad, for the record. No sense and having to get hit to rage. Also, I've got an old barb build that focused on multirage. Give me a second to dig it up.

BOOP: Mr. Angry. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3237.0)

NEO|Phyte
2010-01-14, 07:25 PM
Infinite rage? How?

There's probably plenty of easier ways, but an intelligent item that can cast Rage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rage.htm) would be a good start, lower stat boosts, but it lasts as long as the caster concentrates, and any "while raging" abilities you have still kick in, like the Bear Warrior's "I'm a bear now"

Starbuck_II
2010-01-14, 07:42 PM
Rage spell? Why not get Druid to cast 2nd level Blood Frenzy (grant additional Rage that doesn't count vs total rage #).

NEO|Phyte
2010-01-14, 07:48 PM
Rage spell? Why not get Druid to cast 2nd level Blood Frenzy (grant additional Rage that doesn't count vs total rage #).

Because I don't feel like going through however many books have spells in them to find every little one, plus in the case of long fights one rage that lasts indefinitely is better than the 5 rages you can't use because you can only rage once per encounter.

Zaq
2010-01-14, 08:56 PM
Get a casting of Mantle of the Fiery Spirit and Mantle of the Icy Soul and you have both the [Fire] and [Ice] subtypes. They're Instantaneous, too, so that's fun. Not cheap, but not prohibitively expensive either. It's always on, doesn't burn (or freeze) feats, and doesn't require you to be a barbarian.

I've currently got this on my Inspector Gadget-style character. It explains, fluffwise, why he can spew fire and ice all over the place at will. (DFA is a really fun class if you kill the stupid draconic flavor with extreme prejudice.)