PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Combat System for PbP?

Another_Poet
2010-01-14, 03:58 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what you think game has the "best" ruleset/combat system for play-by-post. And by "best" I mean fastest. And by fastest I mean the one that gets a battle finished in the fewest total posts. That could be because combat is short or because a character can take a bunch of actions in one turn. I don't care - I'm looking for fast combat where one fight can be resolved in just a few posts per player, maybe over the course of 1 week by PbP, rather than a month or more.

I am already familiar with the methods of speeding up D&D combat for PbP such as not using initiative, allowing players to post "if-then" actions, having the DM force an action or skip a character if the player doesn't post in time, etc. I'm not looking to speed up D&D, I'm looking for a system that is fast and decisive when it comes to encounters.

Suggestions?

Melamoto
2010-01-14, 04:30 PM
You could make enemies less resilient and higher damage. Alternatively, you could have everyone use Skype for battles. And I think there are also real-time interactive battle maps that can be used for battles, or similar such programs.

grautry
2010-01-14, 04:35 PM
Check out Wushu. It's got an open license here (http://wiki.saberpunk.net/Wushu/WushuOpenRules) so you should be able to get an idea for how it works.

It might or might not be to your taste. The system is designed for action movie style play and it works well for that but it's also extremely simplistic which might not be to your liking.

Tengu_temp
2010-01-14, 04:40 PM
Mutants and Masterminds. The fastest system in PbP I played, and I played Risus.

Oslecamo
2010-01-14, 04:47 PM
Mutants and Masterminds. The fastest system in PbP I played, and I played Risus.

Indeed, just one d20 roll per turn per player, can't get much faster than that.

kc0bbq
2010-01-14, 04:51 PM
Indeed, just one d20 roll per turn per player, can't get much faster than that.Amber DRPG requires zero die rolls per turn per character of any size. :)

Oslecamo
2010-01-14, 04:52 PM
Amber DRPG requires zero die rolls per turn per character of any size. :)

You really can't call it an RPG when you remove all random elements:smalltongue:

kpenguin
2010-01-14, 04:53 PM
Freeform removes all dicerolling, so yeah. :smalltongue:

Oslecamo
2010-01-14, 04:54 PM
Freeform removes all dicerolling, so yeah. :smalltongue:

Notice the "combat system" pre-requisite in the title.

onthetown
2010-01-14, 04:58 PM
I don't know of any full systems, but I've noticed that rolling initiative at the first of the game and using it throughout the campaign manages to speed it along. As soon as the GM gives the signal to start the battle, everybody knows exactly when they can post as long as they're following along.

Glimbur
2010-01-14, 05:10 PM
Wuthering Heights (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html). Of course, combat shouldn't be common in this system unless you play like most of my players end up playing. Were they actual English nobility no-one would have survived the Victorian Era.

Tehnar
2010-01-14, 05:18 PM
I dont have much with it experience but the Legend of the 5 rings is pretty fast in combat. People end up dead fast.

infinitypanda
2010-01-14, 05:19 PM
Burning Wheel has rules for simplified combat where the entire battle is reduced to a single opposed roll.

Tengu_temp
2010-01-14, 05:39 PM
I don't know of any full systems, but I've noticed that rolling initiative at the first of the game and using it throughout the campaign manages to speed it along. As soon as the GM gives the signal to start the battle, everybody knows exactly when they can post as long as they're following along.

Must suck to be the guy who rolled low. If you're going to do something like that it's better to just let people move in order of their initiative bonus if you ask me.

Satyr
2010-01-14, 05:58 PM
Don't roll initiative. Just always used a fixed level, either the average or the highest possible value. Variable Initiative scores are by no means an obligatory RPG elements and many games can do without.
otherwise there are two very different options: You could either take a game like Wushu which has a very abstract approach to the game and little to no connection between the mechanical aspects and the plot of the game, which speeds things up through superficiality, or you can take one of the grittier games around, where every single combat round might take longer, but every single hit is significant and often the first hit in any battle is decisive. While the latter approach is usually the more satisfying in a real world game, the latter one might make sense in a PbP game, especially when the plot of the game is more important than the conflict resolution and an open-ended conclusion of the conflict is not intended. This might pretty much the best way to use a game like Wushu.

Raum
2010-01-14, 06:06 PM
I'm wondering what you think game has the "best" ruleset/combat system for play-by-post. And by "best" I mean fastest. And by fastest I mean the one that gets a battle finished in the fewest total posts. That could be because combat is short or because a character can take a bunch of actions in one turn. I don't care - I'm looking for fast combat where one fight can be resolved in just a few posts per player, maybe over the course of 1 week by PbP, rather than a month or more.Wushu is one possibility. If you prefer a more traditional style game, Over the Edge may work. And, if you want to be able to 'script' combat, you might look at Mouse Guard or Burning Wheel. Being an 'old fart', Over the Edge would probably be my choice. :smallwink:

Innis Cabal
2010-01-14, 06:07 PM
You really can't call it an RPG when you remove all random elements:smalltongue:

Wait what? Really? I thought you couldn't remove Role Playing from an RPG and call it an RPG.

lesser_minion
2010-01-14, 06:24 PM
+1 for dropping randomised initiative.

It doesn't really add much, and it's just going to slow the game down if you're doing PbP.

Another_Poet
2010-01-14, 06:47 PM
I am already familiar with the methods of speeding up D&D combat for PbP such as not using initiative... I'm not looking to speed up D&D, I'm looking for a system that is fast and decisive

I don't know of any full systems, but I've noticed that rolling initiative at the first of the game and using it throughout the campaign manages to speed it along.

*facepalm*

I am already familiar with the methods of speeding up D&D combat for PbP such as not using initiative... I'm not looking to speed up D&D, I'm looking for a system that is fast and decisive

Don't roll initiative.

*headdesk*

+1 for dropping randomised initiative.

*hangs desk from 10th floor window with rope, walks outside front door, stands directly under desk, looks up and shoots rope*

The above is meant mostly humorously. Not trying be a jerk... much...

Wuthering Heights (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html). Of course, combat shouldn't be common in this system unless you play like most of my players end up playing. Were they actual English nobility no-one would have survived the Victorian Era.

OMG THERE IS A WUTHERING HEIGHTS RPG??? My life has meaning. This is the best news I've gotten all week, maybe all year.

elonin
2010-01-14, 07:12 PM
It's weird that nobody here or in any game I've played in has suggested this idea. When the combat starts everyone posts general actions and their general stats. For example a rogue might post Skevlar will typically try to keep in flanking trying to take down as many mooks as possible. Hitpoints x babx ac x + x vs etc. And then present rolls for saves or to hit and damage.

The dm would then extrapolate what happens each round and it's up the players to keep up (for example if the BBEG suddenly appears). It gives up something but speeds combat up by a decent clip.

Another_Poet
2010-01-14, 07:25 PM
It's weird that nobody here or in any game I've played in has suggested this idea. When the combat starts everyone posts general actions and their general stats. For example a rogue might post Skevlar will typically try to keep in flanking trying to take down as many mooks as possible. Hitpoints x babx ac x + x vs etc. And then present rolls for saves or to hit and damage.

The dm would then extrapolate what happens each round and it's up the players to keep up (for example if the BBEG suddenly appears). It gives up something but speeds combat up by a decent clip.

I suspect people don't do it because the DM would be overloaded with work to do then. It's kind of a pain to make that many rolls for players. Some people might also be worried that players wouldn't feel they have enough control. That said I bet it would make things faster if the DM could keep up with it.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-14, 07:42 PM
+1 for Initiative bonus = Initiative order.

Also, you could house-rule that damage is always maximized. It eliminated a roll for every hit, & it whittles down HP faster, speeding things up further.

JaronK
2010-01-14, 07:55 PM
Shadowrun tends to have VERY fast combat. Lots of one hit TKOs, and it's far more about planning the combat in advance and then executing the plan then running up and seeing what happens.

JaronK

Cespenar
2010-01-14, 08:01 PM

That's... the most hilarious system I've ever seen.

DragoonWraith
2010-01-14, 08:08 PM
Shadowrun tends to have VERY fast combat. Lots of one hit TKOs, and it's far more about planning the combat in advance and then executing the plan then running up and seeing what happens.

JaronK
Planning combats can sometimes take as long in PbP as the actual combat, though...

Zeta Kai
2010-01-14, 11:32 PM

Hilarious in which way? Hilarious bad? Hilarious good? Or just hilarious weird?

Glimbur
2010-01-14, 11:33 PM

It's... abusable. Almost every time I run a game with this system, no matter the setting, we end in a bloodbath. Although once there was a big trial to see if one of the PC's was the true heir, and once we had simultaneous Catholic and Anglican funerals, and besides that all bloodbaths all the time.

Temotei
2010-01-14, 11:34 PM

Hilarious funny? :smallamused:

lesser_minion
2010-01-14, 11:41 PM
*hangs desk from 10th floor window with rope, walks outside front door, stands directly under desk, looks up and shoots rope*

*Does same to self*. That was a pretty catastrophic mistake.

Call of Cthulhu can be pretty quick for PbP as long as you stay out of melee.

It's even faster if you're not particularly nice to your players, obviously.

World of Darkness might have a shot, since a lot of combat actions are resolved faster. You roll a dice pool, and every success is a point of damage. No successes means a miss.

3rd edition WFRP would be the slowest system for PbP, because it requires six dice rolls per action. I guess you could use Opera notes for the code and memorise the tables, but yeah...

Grynning
2010-01-14, 11:51 PM
I don't know about for PbP, but I can give a +1 to Mutants and Masterminds. At our table more time was spent describing our actions and the effects than on resolving any rolls, which was fun. M&M is also easily adaptable to almost any game type or setting. It's little brother True20 was designed to expand on that, not sure how its combat is different.

The fastest RPG combat system I can recall was for an obscure little kitchen sink punk sci-fi game called WasteWorld (no longer in print, as far as I know). It's older than M&M but uses a similar system with opposed d20 rolls. I really liked how it calculated damage - it's just the difference between the attacker's hit roll and the defender's dodge or parry roll, with a multiplier/bonus for the weapon, minus defender's armor. Also notable for having good autofire rules for guns (a rarity in modern RPG's) and a cinematic ammo system (running out of bullets was a critical failure result, otherwise you had movie-style bottomless mags).

Edit: Old website that explains the basics of the system: http://kuoi.com/~kamikaze/WasteWorld/www.manticor.com/howto.htm

White Wolf's combat can be fast if everyone is familiar with the system and if the ST isn't too big on calculating all the situational bonuses and penalties the rules suggest, it also uses combined rolls for hits and damage.

grautry
2010-01-15, 12:03 AM
White Wolf's combat can be fast if everyone is familiar with the system and if the ST isn't too big on calculating all the situational bonuses and penalties the rules suggest, it also uses combined rolls for hits and damage.

Situational bonuses and penalties can be easily done.

Example: You roll Dex+Firearms to shoot. Your dice pool is five. You roll this plus two separate dice pool of five.

If there are no penalties/bonuses then the DM simply takes the five dice and that's your successes. If, say, you get a +2 bonus then the you take the result of your roll and add the first two rolls from the bonus dice pool. If you get a -3 penalty then only the first two dice count from the original dice pool count.

Why two separate dice pools? The second one serves for 10-again, 9-again, rote quality rolls and so on and so forth.

A tad complex, sure, but you resolve your roll within one post with all the possible bonuses and penalties included.

Grynning
2010-01-15, 12:09 AM
Situational bonuses and penalties can be easily done.

Example: You roll Dex+Firearms to shoot. Your dice pool is five. You roll this plus two separate dice pool of five.

If there are no penalties/bonuses then the DM simply takes the five dice and that's your successes. If, say, you get a +2 bonus then the you take the result of your roll and add the first two rolls from the bonus dice pool. If you get a -3 penalty then only the first two dice count from the original dice pool count.

Why two separate dice pools? The second one serves for 10-again, 9-again, rote quality rolls and so on and so forth.

A tad complex, sure, but you resolve your roll within one post with all the possible bonuses and penalties included.

I was referring more to the White Wolf tendency to list dozens of specific situations with exact die penalties/bonuses for every conceivable type of action in the books.

-1 die for low light, -2 dice for distance, -Dice x the multitude of supernatural defenses your target likely has, -2 dice adjusting for tidal activity and the curvature of the Earth...

ok I'm exaggerating, I just have a bit of a love/hate relationship with White Wolf. Great concepts, decent system, often terrible execution and balancing.

grautry
2010-01-15, 01:00 AM
I was referring more to the White Wolf tendency to list dozens of specific situations with exact die penalties/bonuses for every conceivable type of action in the books.

-1 die for low light, -2 dice for distance, -Dice x the multitude of supernatural defenses your target likely has, -2 dice adjusting for tidal activity and the curvature of the Earth...

I treat those more as suggestions than rules. What can I say, GM'ing rules-light systems makes me lazy.

Usually I just ad-hoc anything between -2 and +2 for circumstances(higher/lower only in really favorable/unfavourable conditions) whenever it seems appropriate.

ok I'm exaggerating, I just have a bit of a love/hate relationship with White Wolf. Great concepts, decent system, often terrible execution and balancing.

Couldn't agree more.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-15, 01:23 AM
We were making a game called 'post haste', but it kinda fell through. Pretty nice for a PbP game system, since... yanno, that's kinda what it was designed to do.

Never got through the alpha-testing, though.

Another_Poet
2010-01-15, 01:39 AM
+1 for Initiative bonus = Initiative order.

Okay, now you are just taunting me (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7693798&postcount=19).

*Does same to self*. That was a pretty catastrophic mistake.

Call of Cthulhu can be pretty quick for PbP as long as you stay out of melee.

World of Darkness might have a shot, since a lot of combat actions are resolved faster. You roll a dice pool, and every success is a point of damage. No successes means a miss.

Glad you took it in the humorous spirit in which it was intended :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

We were making a game called 'post haste', but it kinda fell through. Pretty nice for a PbP game system, since... yanno, that's kinda what it was designed to do.

Never got through the alpha-testing, though.

Uh, Shneekey? I was the one who started that thread & was leading up the design, remember? *grin*

It is a shame it didn't get farther. I'd like to go back to it at some point but right now too many other projects. Also, PostHaste was only one of several possible working titles - never made official :smallamused:

elonin
2010-01-15, 07:53 AM
I suspect people don't do it because the DM would be overloaded with work to do then. It's kind of a pain to make that many rolls for players. Some people might also be worried that players wouldn't feel they have enough control. That said I bet it would make things faster if the DM could keep up with it.

Yes there would be extra work but not rolls for the dm, since the players roll them when giving instructions for the combat. In fact the only times the player needs to interact is when something changes or runs out of premade rolls. And it could be done partly by a co dm or a player if the monsters are known.

Cespenar
2010-01-15, 10:47 AM

Hilariously... funny, as Temotei put it.

It's... abusable. Almost every time I run a game with this system, no matter the setting, we end in a bloodbath. Although once there was a big trial to see if one of the PC's was the true heir, and once we had simultaneous Catholic and Anglican funerals, and besides that all bloodbaths all the time.

It's clearly a system that's designed to take the focus away from the crunch. Or that's my interpretation. Either way, it shouldn't be abused. If I'd be playing with people that would abuse this system, I'd hastily change to a more simulative system, like D&D.