PDA

View Full Version : The technopolitan warforged

Angry Bob
2010-01-14, 05:45 PM
The technopolitan is a variety of warforged intended as a liason between warforged and the fleshier beings of the world.

Technopolitans as characters:
+2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution. Technopolitans are astute and engaging, but their construction leaves out the strength and ruggedness that are the hallmarks of other warforged. As medium creatures, they have no special bonuses due to their size.
Technopolitan base land speed is 30 feet.
Special qualities: Light fortification, living construct traits. Technopolitans are not adapted for the use of composite plating, and therefore can't take the mithral body or adamantine body feats (or other similar feats, If they exist in books other than the ECS and MMIII). They can, however, wear armor designed for a humanoid of their size.
Natural Linguist: Speak Language is always a class skill for technopolitans.
Automatic languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any, and Technopolitans know two additional bonus languages at the beginning of the game.
Favored Class: Bard. Adventuring Technopolitans fit naturally into the role of a spokesperson.

There you have it.

Edited for ability scores and armor use wording.

Zom B
2010-01-14, 05:49 PM
They can, however, wear armor designed for a humanoid of their size without penalty.

This kind of reads like I can wear Full Plate and have no armor check penalty. Might want to say "They can, however, wear armor designed for a humanoid of their size with only the normal penalties associated with that armor." Or something like that.

Otherwise, I like this a lot.

Lappy9000
2010-01-14, 05:58 PM
Hmm...I'm not so sure about this. The Charisma and Wisdom penalties to the Warforged always seemed to represent their displacement in the world as newborn creatures. Also, there's a feat in Races of Eberron that lets you forsake your composite plating and wear whatever armor you want. Also, these guys are a touch too powerful, seeing as they get a net +2 ability bonus at the expense of weak armor and the Slam attack.

Would you mind providing some fluff as to why these warforged differ so greatly to their war bound counterparts?

DracoDei
2010-01-14, 06:03 PM
In one of Vorpal Tribble's creature contests ("Hearth and Home (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=61830)" specifically) someone entered a "Service Forged (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3468955&postcount=8)", so I am mentioning it here for cross-referencing and "prior art" purposes.

Angry Bob
2010-01-14, 06:13 PM
The wisdom and charisma bonuses could represent the designers specifically trying to offset those attributes of the original warforged. If it helps, imagine them as C-3PO.

If they took a hit to constitution instead of or in addition to strength, would it help?

Lappy9000
2010-01-14, 06:17 PM
If they took a hit to constitution instead of or in addition to strength, would it help?If you added on another penalty or doubled the Strength penalty, it should even them out nicely. (They're possibly still a touch over powered, but about on par with normal warforged, so I wouldn't worry about it).

Zom B
2010-01-15, 06:30 AM
Hmm...I'm not so sure about this. The Charisma and Wisdom penalties to the Warforged always seemed to represent their displacement in the world as newborn creatures. Also, there's a feat in Races of Eberron that lets you forsake your composite plating and wear whatever armor you want. Also, these guys are a touch too powerful, seeing as they get a net +2 ability bonus at the expense of weak armor and the Slam attack.

Wait, no.

+2 Str, -2 Wis, -2 Cha is fine (*), but
-2 Str, +2 Wis, +2 Cha is not? I say they're equal.

*see half-orc for an example of a race that gains a bonus to a physical score for two penalties to mental scores. I seem to remember reading in one of the books that this is an even trade.

Lappy9000
2010-01-15, 10:51 AM
Wait, no.

+2 Str, -2 Wis, -2 Cha is fine (*), but
-2 Str, +2 Wis, +2 Cha is not? I say they're equal.
That was in comparison to the core warforged (who get +2 Con -2 Wis -2 Cha and are still generally regarded as overpowered).

You do realize these guys have the Living Construct subtype (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_livingconstructsubtype&alpha=) and Light Fortification (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#fortification), right? Adds up to a pretty p'awful set of immunities, guv'nah.

*see half-orc for an example of a race that gains a bonus to a physical score for two penalties to mental scores. I seem to remember reading in one of the books that this is an even trade.The book says it the other way around, not that it matters, because the DMG lies on that matter :smalltongue: