PDA

View Full Version : how does charging damage stack?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-14, 06:11 PM
Okay, If I have a valorous lance that supposedly nets me double damage on a charge. (haven't looked at the enchantment yet. need to get the book)Adding in spirited charge what kind of damage would that make it deal? (spirited charge triples damage from a charge while on a mount.)

also, can leap attack be combined with a Dragonborn's dive attack?

Signmaker
2010-01-14, 06:12 PM
DnD Math says:

1 + (3-1) + (2-1) = x4

sofawall
2010-01-14, 06:13 PM
Okay, If I have a valorous lance that supposedly nets me double damage on a charge. (haven't looked at the enchantment yet. need to get the book)Adding in spirited charge what kind of damage would that make it deal? (spirited charge triples damage from a charge while on a mount.)

also, can leap attack be combined with a Dragonborn's dive attack?

The first question was asked about, oh, a day ago. *4 damage.

As for the second, that depends on DM. No rules really explain it.

Prime32
2010-01-14, 06:15 PM
When a D&D book mentions a doubling, they mean "+100%". If you get two doublings that's +200% damage - triple damage.

EDIT: Double-ninja'd...

Mystic Muse
2010-01-14, 06:35 PM
I'm just trying to get a consensus fo several members rather than one or two.

ericgrau
2010-01-14, 06:41 PM
Multiplying rules are in the back of the Player's Handbook. It is as they say. Also note that for everything or almost everything unrolled damage + the base weapon damage is multiplied, while die damage (except base weapon damage) is not.

Runestar
2010-01-14, 07:33 PM
IIRC, valorous weapon (assuming the unapproachable east version) states "as if you had the spirited charge feat), so my interpretation is that it would not stack with the spirited charge feat.

So double while mounted, triple if mounted with a lance and spirited charge or valorous weapon, quad damage if mounted with a lance and spirited charge or valorous weapon (but not both).

JaronK
2010-01-14, 07:48 PM
Actually, it says "weapon deals double damage, much like a mounted warrior with the Spirited Charge feat. More than one doubling of damage increases the damage multiple by one per additional doubling, so double-double damage is triple damage..."

So I'd say it does stack. It's not the same, it's just "much like" and they go on to talk about it stacking away nicely.

JaronK