PDA

View Full Version : Request for some wizard-fu

pffh
2010-01-14, 08:09 PM
Here´s the deal I need 7 level 10 wizards that have prepared magic items and spells to capture a monk, a warblade, a barbarian/rogue and wizard.
I have no idea what to pick so I turn to the playground for help.

Core + SpC + MiC is preferred. I don't want cheese just what a wizard would realistically prepare for such a thing.

Eldariel
2010-01-14, 08:17 PM
Capture them alive? Dimensional Anchors and Resilient Spheres; then just Teleport the Spheres away. That or mind-targeting magic; they'll come willingly if you screw with their minds enough. Other than that, stat damage and penalty magic is good for disabling them, and of course, Feeblemind for the Wizard. Basically, penalties that don't kill them, but stop them from resisting. And of course, Dispels to get rid of protections.

I think they would, given perfect information, try to Feeblemind the Wizard (after Scrying and Contact Other Plane and such to ensure that he's vulnerable), Dominate the Barbarian/Rogue, probably burn two Resilient Spheres on the Warblade and Solid Fog > Wall of Stone or stat damage or whatever the Monk; targeting his saves is probably a excessively resource-intensive, though they could simply overwhelm him.

Maybe Scroll of Dimension Lock & Forcecage around just in case someone turns out to be able to resist the previous attempts; maybe a Time Stop scroll for really heavy duty Prison Building.

Of course, simpliest would be just Touch Attack Teleports into some premade Anti-Magic Prison hard enough to withstand a Warblade's and a Barbarian's attacks.

Doc Roc
2010-01-14, 08:32 PM
What level is the party?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-14, 08:41 PM
Forcecage the monk. Dominate the barbarian. Feeblemind the Wizard. Use Shivering Touch on the Warblade to deal enough dex damage to drop him to 0 Dex, and make him helpless.

pffh
2010-01-14, 08:41 PM
They should be around 9-11 when this happens.

And so far... eeeeexcellent [does a Mr Burns hand signal] these suggestions will be put to good use.

Eldariel
2010-01-14, 08:50 PM
Use Shivering Touch on the Warblade to deal enough dex damage to drop him to 0 Dex, and make him helpless.

I wouldn't pull that on players unless they've already used it. 'cause after that, the game devolves into stupid Shivering Touch Tag. I think it falls on the wrong side of the gentlemens' agreement here.

Kallisti
2010-01-14, 08:57 PM
Here´s the deal I need 7 level 10 wizards that have prepared magic items and spells to capture a monk, a warblade, a barbarian/rogue and wizard.
I have no idea what to pick so I turn to the playground for help.

Core + SpC + MiC is preferred. I don't want cheese just what a wizard would realistically prepare for such a thing.

No cheese? Ok, so no celerity and no shivering touch...

The monk'll have a good will save. Otiluke's Resilient or Telekinetic sphere for him. Failing that, Wall spells to pen him up and a paralytic poison +Launch Bolt. Perhaps Iron Bands from Spell Compendium.

The Warblade may have Iron Heart Surge. Charm or dominate him, so he won't WANT to IHS your spell.

Charm or dominate the Barbarian/Rogue. He's practically begging for it taking two low-will classes.

The wizard could be a problem depending on his level. A Scroll of Disjunction or AMF would really wreck his day if you could pull of the UMD check. Or, counterspell+Moment of Prescience while summoned minions knock him unconscious with nonlethal damage, then steal his book and break all his fingers. Also, keep him bound, gagged, take his component pouch and search him for spares, and keep him under guard. A wizard could conceivably free the other characters and really ruin your plans.

DementedFellow
2010-01-14, 09:02 PM
Sonic Snaps, lots of them. Bring them down to 0 hp.

Lysander
2010-01-14, 09:20 PM
Undead minions.

Dimers
2010-01-14, 11:15 PM
Have a few of those wizards ready actions to counterspell, if it comes to battle.

Divide and conquer. Ambush one or two PCs when they're away from the main party. Use divination spells to explain the captors' curious ability to know exactly when/where to strike. If they get a surprise round first, have them use multiple Walls of Force to block the mage off from her companions, since spells can't pass through those ... a triangle of three sides plus a fourth for a 'lid' should be fine. And then they can do the same thing to another PC the next round, and the next ...

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-15, 03:22 AM
"monk a warblade, a barbarian/rogue and wizard. "

All general idea? Grease the floor. Chances are no one took ranks in Balance. :yuk: Or cast Animated Rope on them while they are asleep.

Now if you want to be more specific, Glitterdust the Barbarian/Rogue, and Warblade. Mage Armor/Greater Mage Armor + Shield will take care of the monk as you watch him try to futilely hit you; for bigger laughs Grease yourself as well. :belkar: For the wizard, Counterspell sounds like the prefect way. The lone wizard will run out of spells waaaaaay before the 7 level 10 wizards do.

I don't know the other spells Wizards are capable of that they would "normally" prepare above the 3rd level. If I do, they are most likely cheese or will end the fight really fast.