PDA

View Full Version : lowest ECL creature with fast healing?

taltamir
2010-01-14, 08:47 PM
what are some of the lowest ELC (LA + HD) creatures that have any form of fast healing? it doesn't have to high enough to be useful in combat, just a FH1 so that he could take a few minutes after combat and be back to full HP.

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-14, 08:48 PM
Feral is a LA +1 that grants Fast Healing, +6 natural armor, and a slew of other very nice bonuses and abilities. From Savage Species.

deuxhero
2010-01-14, 08:50 PM
If you want infinite healing, just take Dread Necro and tomb tainted soul, Binder, Crusader or a handful of other combos,

Otodetu
2010-01-14, 08:56 PM
Feral is a LA +1 that grants Fast Healing, +6 natural armor, and a slew of other very nice bonuses and abilities. From Savage Species.

Just looked at it, where they drunk when they made this? my WIZARD would think la +1 would be neat with this... (you know without the -4 int at least)

I mean, +10ft. base speed, +6 natural, good natural attacks, special abilities (even pounce), leveling fast healing and dark-vision, wow, at la 1 this was insane.

Edit; forgot the +4 str, -2 dex, +2 con, -4 int, +2 wis

deuxhero
2010-01-14, 09:01 PM
*points to Savage Species being the source*

A shame the book was so poor, because racial classes was not that bad an idea.

Flickerdart
2010-01-14, 09:02 PM
Yep. Alternately, Shadow Sun Ninja also gets a repeated-use healing ability, and simply buying a Wand of Lesser Vigor is one of the most cost-effective ways of healing outside of battle.

Otodetu
2010-01-14, 09:04 PM
Guess persistent lesser vigor is a legal combo?
Or does the max hp healed limit make in invalid?

taltamir
2010-01-14, 09:07 PM
i want it to be a born racial healing factor, not a spell you cast every morning with persist or cast ever round to heal yourself.

thank you for pointing out feral, very nice

btw, feral might not be good for wizards due to the -4... but for clerics its awesome, they even get +2 wisdom.

Zaq
2010-01-14, 09:10 PM
Dwagon Shamans can get fast healing (that only works up to 1/2 HP, but it's still all-day) at level 1. And they share it with their friends.

Sadly, this is about their only ability that someone else doesn't do better, which is a shame because they've got interesting abilities, even if they have horrible fluff. Maybe if you gestalted them with Soulborn or something.

Starscream
2010-01-14, 09:12 PM
Less broken than Feral, the Shadow Template can grant you Fast Healing 2 as one if its powers.

It's a +2 LA template, but it's also one of those that gives you more powers as you increase in HD, so it's pretty good for a non-caster build.

taltamir
2010-01-14, 09:14 PM
i just imagined a feral gnome monk (or unarmed swordsage)... that would be hillarious

Otodetu
2010-01-14, 09:31 PM
btw, feral might not be good for wizards due to the -4... but for clerics its awesome, they even get +2 wisdom.

I know it is not good for a wizard, la is bad for casters anyways, my point was that it is badly balanced to the point that even a caster would have a hard time saying no; sort of like sex really.

You might you want to talk your dm into allowing you like 3 to 5 fast heal for a point of level adjustment, sort of gimped really, but easier to get permission that way.

Jack_Simth
2010-01-14, 09:51 PM
Guess persistent lesser vigor is a legal combo?
Or does the max hp healed limit make in invalid?
Well, "touch" range is debatable as to whether or not it qualifies as "fixed or personal" range. However, Persistent Spell overrides the duration line, and the only place the limit on turns is located is in the duration line. So a Persistent Mass Lesser Vigor (which does have a fixed range) is perfectly fine ... and can affect a goodly chunk of the party at higher levels.

As for other methods of infinite healing? Binding Buer (Tome of Magic) gets you Fast Healing - but as a 4th level Vestiege, you need to have 7 levels of Binding classes - the two feats won't *quite* do it.

The Summon Elemental Reserve Feat (Complete Mage) + the Vampiric Weapon Property (Magic Item Compendium) can give you infinite out-of-combat healing (summon elemental, hit it until it's forcibly un-summoned, summon another... and each time you hit, you heal HP). This also works (for the rest of the party only...) with Minor Shapeshift and a Vampiric weapon.

The Evolved Undead template (LA+1, Libris Mortis) works well with the Necropolotin template (also Libris Mortis).

SurlySeraph
2010-01-14, 10:01 PM
You can take the Healing Devotion feat for a minute of fast healing once per day, more if you have Turn Undead.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-15, 12:23 AM
Changeling with Warshaper 4. No LA or RHD. :smallwink:

Also Tal, anything from Savage Species falls under the Stupid/Broken/WTF blanket ban I mentioned.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-15, 12:27 AM
Half Vampire does it (must be below 1/2 life).

Also, if you're interested in other quick heal methods, there's various regeneration abilities (though they don't work if you're undead).

Grumman
2010-01-15, 12:40 AM
Shadow Creature and Saint are both LA +2 templates that grant Fast Healing.

2xMachina
2010-01-15, 12:57 AM
Just looked at it, where they drunk when they made this? my WIZARD would think la +1 would be neat with this... (you know without the -4 int at least)

I mean, +10ft. base speed, +6 natural, good natural attacks, special abilities (even pounce), leveling fast healing and dark-vision, wow, at la 1 this was insane.

Heh, try Anthro Feral [some animal]. Resets Int to +0.

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-15, 01:02 AM

My group is constantly praising the Feral template as well. but the truth is if it is looked upon like it is meant to be it isn't broken at all.

you get all that neat stuff at the price of being a wild monster who is looked upon as a beast in all parts of society.

Towns and villages raise their pitchforks at the sight of you. thats why its called FERAL.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-15, 01:41 AM
My group is constantly praising the Feral template as well. but the truth is if it is looked upon like it is meant to be it isn't broken at all.

you get all that neat stuff at the price of being a wild monster who is looked upon as a beast in all parts of society.

Towns and villages raise their pitchforks at the sight of you. thats why its called FERAL.Hat of Disguise.

2xMachina
2010-01-15, 01:55 AM
Anthro it. You become a personification of humans. All the benefits of being feral, but still like humans. Damn wise too.

Arbitrarious
2010-01-15, 02:02 AM

Towns and villages raise their pitchforks at the sight of you. thats why its called FERAL.

Maybe, but looking a little wild is probably better then being a half-dragon or half-fiend.

golentan
2010-01-15, 02:06 AM
I recommend and Evolved Undead Necropolitan. All kinds of goodies, +1 LA.

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-15, 02:11 AM
I recommend and Evolved Undead Necropolitan. All kinds of goodies, +1 LA.I have a kobold psion//factotum which is this.

Very, very good.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-15, 02:17 AM
I have a kobold psion//factotum which is this.

Very, very good.

Well, Necropolitan is kinda a +1 LA, in the sense that it's essentially a LA buyoff.

That said, Evolved undead serves Cha based classes much better.

golentan
2010-01-15, 02:21 AM
Well, Necropolitan is kinda a +1 LA, in the sense that it's essentially a LA buyoff.

That said, Evolved undead serves Cha based classes much better.

Only if you get it in game. It is LA 0, and generally you can start with it in your build. It's only the process of becoming one that costs you the level.

taltamir
2010-01-15, 03:36 AM
Changeling with Warshaper 4. No LA or RHD. :smallwink:

Also Tal, anything from Savage Species falls under the Stupid/Broken/WTF blanket ban I mentioned.

thats alright, I have a character ready... now I am just educating myself about the general rules of DnD... maybe make some thought experiments, do a ToS or two...

wouldn't pitchforks translate into nonlethal damage and heal away in literally seconds?

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-15, 03:42 AM
Only if you get it in game. It is LA 0, and generally you can start with it in your build. It's only the process of becoming one that costs you the level.

IIRC, you actually have to be level 3 to get it, due to the experience costs killing you otherwise.

The only way to start with it at level 1 requires a bit of level draining.

Typically, most DM's I play with (myself included) allow people to start with it. However, just like LA buyoff, they require the XP cost paid. After all, if you are one, you had to become one. If you became one, you had to pay it.

wouldn't pitchforks translate into nonlethal damage and heal away in literally seconds?

That's regeneration, not fast healing.

Thurbane
2010-01-15, 04:34 AM
Obligatory reference about Binders and Buer.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-01-15, 04:48 AM
*points to Savage Species being the source*

A shame the book was so poor, because racial classes was not that bad an idea.What are you talking about? I thrive on OP stuff like that! :smallbiggrin:

But seriously it was a good book... just they wanted to make cool templates. They succeeded :smallsmile: at rousing your DM's banhammer

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-15, 07:40 AM
The Healing Blood graft from Lords of Madness permanently grants Fast Healing 2 for only 182,000 gp. Grafts don't take any magic item space, can't be dispelled or disjoined, continue to function within antimagic and dead magic areas, and cannot be unequipped or otherwise removed or reversed.

Duke of URL
2010-01-15, 08:09 AM

If feral isn't worded to allocate its abilities based on RHD instead of character level, it should be.

Knaight
2010-01-15, 08:10 AM
That graft is kind of on the expensive side though. Particularly if you don't use infinite money methods.

Oslecamo
2010-01-15, 08:27 AM
If feral isn't worded to allocate its abilities based on RHD instead of character level, it should be.

Indeed it is. It's just very good if used that way, instead of ba-roken.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-15, 08:40 AM
Indeed it is. It's just very good if used that way, instead of ba-roken.

Obviously, you use Wall of Iron shenananananananananigans to pay for it.

Oslecamo
2010-01-15, 08:43 AM
Obviously, you use Wall of Iron shenananananananananigans to pay for it.

Hmm, I was talking about the feral template, not the graft.

Also, you know that city shopkeepers don't have infinite gold right?

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-15, 11:07 AM

Why would it? There are a slew of other templates that give you more or stronger abilities as your increase in HD and a lot of them are crazy too. Not as cost effective as Feral's +1 LA, but still nasty none the less.

taltamir
2010-01-15, 02:48 PM
ok then... what creatures grant regeneration?

Jack_Simth
2010-01-15, 05:41 PM
Hmm, I was talking about the feral template, not the graft.

Also, you know that city shopkeepers don't have infinite gold right?

They don't have to. Iron is a trade good (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm#wealthOtherThanCoins)

Selling Loot

In general, a character can sell something for half its listed price.

Trade goods are the exception to the half-price rule. A trade good, in this sense, is a valuable good that can be easily exchanged almost as if it were cash itself. (Emphasis added). You don't sell the iron to buy things. You buy things with the iron.

hamishspence
2010-01-15, 05:46 PM
Why would it? There are a slew of other templates that give you more or stronger abilities as your increase in HD and a lot of them are crazy too. Not as cost effective as Feral's +1 LA, but still nasty none the less.

Feral is one of the few explicitly worded (at least in the case of Special Attacks) as being based on monster hit dice.

Most of the others aren't- and when you see sample characters, its clear that for them, character levels count.

2xMachina
2010-01-16, 03:02 AM
They don't have to. Iron is a trade good (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm#wealthOtherThanCoins)
(Emphasis added). You don't sell the iron to buy things. You buy things with the iron.

Iron coins!

Wall of Iron + Fabricate (coins).

sofawall
2010-01-16, 03:10 AM
Iron coins!

Wall of Iron + Fabricate (coins).

Steel, if in Dragonlance setting, at a certain period in history.