PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Non-Sorcerer Kobolds

K for Kobold
2010-01-14, 09:44 PM
Is there much point in playing a Kobold that is not a sorcerer? Would a Kobold cleric or rouge be especially underpowered in a game that saw a good amount of combat?

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-14, 09:53 PM
Is there much point in playing a Kobold that is not a sorcerer? Would a Kobold cleric or rouge be especially underpowered in a game that saw a good amount of combat?

Three word: Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold -- one of the very best choices for any caster/skillmonkey class.

Soranar
2010-01-14, 09:54 PM
the best abilities of a kobold ( non spellcasting related that is) are as follows (as far as I know)

small yet still 30 ft movement, slight, +2 dex and +1 AC so rogues are decent
(especially with shadow blade feat from ToB to use Dex on damage)

natural weapons can be insane (you start with 3 and you can add another by taking the feat strong tail at level 1)

multiattack (-2 to all secondary natural attacks instead of -5) has no BAB or DEX requirement

improved multiattack is basically the same with no penalty at all (requires first feat)

you can also take wings at first level but at that point you might as well play a raptoran and save the feats

finally you're really good at trapmaking, (feats that work only for you or better for kobolds) skill bonuses and access to kobold only traps

a trapmaker is subpar as an adventurer though but it's fun for gameplay and roleplay IMO

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-14, 10:46 PM
Hey, do you wanna feel so powerful? Try DRAGONWROUGHT! A feat for people who need gratuitous amounts of stats. With all new flavors like DESERT KOBOLD. Kobold without CON minuses, it’s like adding awesome to an awesome storm. Sound the alarm, you’re gonna be UNCOMFORTABLY POWERFUL!

What’s that? You want FREE SORCEROR LEVELS? Well how about DRAGONWROUGHT + LOREDRAKE!!! Made with DRAGONS, true DRAGONS. Magic! AAAAAAAHHHHH! You’ll be good at it. It’s a feat for kobolds. Koboldfeet! These aren’t your dad’s puns, these are Magic puns. POWERpuns.

Magic, power, magic, power, +3 INT, +3 WIS, +3 CHA, MORE STATS THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR!!! You’ll be so powerful, the DM will be like, “Sloooooowwww dooowwwwnn.” And you’ll be like, “**** you!” and kick him in the face with your natural weapons!

You’ll have so much power, POWER! AAAAAHHHH! just running all the time. Power spellcasting! Power skillpoints! Power Will saves! Power multiattacking! Power AC! Power gaming! Power spawning babies! You’ll have so many babies. 400 babies.

Give DRAGONWROUGHT to your babies and they’ll be as good at everything! Make your babies abnormally powerful. They’ll be as powerful as DRAGONS. People will watch them dungeoncrawling and think they’re DRAGONS. They’ll kill as fast as DRAAGONS, in a fight with actual DRAGONS, and it’ll be a tie, and they’ll get hunted down by Dragonslayers!

Hey, go with the sure thing. Don’t gamble on your Power (snake eyes!). Try DRAGONWROUGHT, the feat that will make you (aaahhh!) POWER(aaahhh!).

Signmaker
2010-01-14, 11:08 PM
*humbly bows to the master of the thread*

sofawall
2010-01-14, 11:12 PM
Total Win. Should be stickied.

Doc Roc
2010-01-14, 11:14 PM
Quote-booked.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-14, 11:16 PM
*bows*

texttexttext

Leon
2010-01-14, 11:33 PM

Is there much point playing any "race" "class" combo?
Always playing a Kobold Sorcerer may be powerful but its not going to suit everyone every time.

Small races in D&D get the short end of the deal for physical combat but don't let it stop you from trying it some time, Im in a game that has a great deal of combat and the Halfling monk does well enough despite having smaller damage dice.

2xMachina
2010-01-15, 12:15 AM
White Dragonspawn!

Meh, personally, don't really like the Venerable Dragonwrought age +mental stats. Sure, it's ok, but normal humans get them too. They just lose Str/Dex/Con. So technically, it's a +3 to PHYSICAL stats, not mental stats. Now, adding Loredrake to it makes it good though.

Narazil
2010-01-15, 12:17 AM
Small races in D&D get the short end of the deal for physical combat but don't let it stop you from trying it some time, Im in a game that has a great deal of combat and the Halfling monk does well enough despite having smaller damage dice.
Wait, they do? I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter whether your Sneak Attack is 1d4+6d6, or 1d6+6d6. :smallbiggrin:

sonofzeal
2010-01-15, 01:18 AM
White Dragonspawn!

Meh, personally, don't really like the Venerable Dragonwrought age +mental stats. Sure, it's ok, but normal humans get them too. They just lose Str/Dex/Con. So technically, it's a +3 to PHYSICAL stats, not mental stats. Now, adding Loredrake to it makes it good though.
Er, +6 physical. Might want to check the aging charts again. ;)

Lord Thurlvin
2010-01-15, 01:19 AM
Hey, do you wanna feel so powerful? Try DRAGONWROUGHT! A feat for people who need gratuitous amounts of stats. With all new flavors like DESERT KOBOLD. Kobold without CON minuses, it’s like adding awesome to an awesome storm. Sound the alarm, you’re gonna be UNCOMFORTABLY POWERFUL!

What’s that? You want FREE SORCEROR LEVELS? Well how about DRAGONWROUGHT + LOREDRAKE!!! Made with DRAGONS, true DRAGONS. Magic! AAAAAAAHHHHH! You’ll be good at it. It’s a feat for kobolds. Koboldfeet! These aren’t your dad’s puns, these are Magic puns. POWERpuns.

Magic, power, magic, power, +3 INT, +3 WIS, +3 CHA, MORE STATS THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR!!! You’ll be so powerful, the DM will be like, “Sloooooowwww dooowwwwnn.” And you’ll be like, “**** you!” and kick him in the face with your natural weapons!

You’ll have so much power, POWER! AAAAAHHHH! just running all the time. Power spellcasting! Power skillpoints! Power Will saves! Power multiattacking! Power AC! Power gaming! Power spawning babies! You’ll have so many babies. 400 babies.

Give DRAGONWROUGHT to your babies and they’ll be as good at everything! Make your babies abnormally powerful. They’ll be as powerful as DRAGONS. People will watch them dungeoncrawling and think they’re DRAGONS. They’ll kill as fast as DRAAGONS, in a fight with actual DRAGONS, and it’ll be a tie, and they’ll get hunted down by Dragonslayers!

Hey, go with the sure thing. Don’t gamble on your Power (snake eyes!). Try DRAGONWROUGHT, the feat that will make you (aaahhh!) POWER(aaahhh!).
Argh! It's too long to sig! And there's no way I could possibly choose a single part.
Regarding non-sorcerer kobolds, I think anything except for melee-types would work (and even those could work too, if you roll really high stats or are fine with a "weaker" character).

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-15, 01:44 AM
Argh! It's too long to sig! And there's no way I could possibly choose a single part.
Regarding non-sorcerer kobolds, I think anything except for melee-types would work (and even those could work too, if you roll really high stats or are fine with a "weaker" character).Or go ToB.

mikej
2010-01-15, 01:50 AM
@ Mushroom Ninja

You just win at life!

Eldariel
2010-01-15, 01:52 AM
Or just use The Other Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny,_But_Youre_Dead:_the_other,_melee_Ki ller_Gnome,_for_your_pleasure.). In spite of the moniker, Kobolds and their Slight Build actually rocks there; all you need to do is take Stoneblessed to enter.

Of course, just a simple Rogue can make for a frightening melee Kobold. Or a Barbarian. I like Kobold Barbarians with Ferocity and Dex-focus.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-15, 01:57 AM
Regarding non-sorcerer kobolds, I think anything except for melee-types would work (and even those could work too, if you roll really high stats or are fine with a "weaker" character).

Spoilers can be used in your sig to shorten it.

Soranar
2010-01-15, 02:19 AM
Or just use The Other Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny,_But_Youre_Dead:_the_other,_melee_Ki ller_Gnome,_for_your_pleasure.). In spite of the moniker, Kobolds and their Slight Build actually rocks there; all you need to do is take Stoneblessed to enter.

the only problem is that gnomes and kobold are sworn ennemies (even lawful good kobolds have the urge to decapitate every gnome they encounter from what I read in races of dragon, but honestly who can blame them?)

and the stoneblessed PrC assumes you befriend them , which would be quite a feat for a kobold

a swordsage kobold (like any swordsage really) is surprisingly effective with a natural attack combo , if your DM lets you take flaws than you can start with:

strong tail, multiattack, improved multiattack for a +0/+0/+0/+0 routine at level 1 which is far superior to a TWF build as you start that way

add the bloodclaw discipline with jumping attacks/pounce for laughs

as a rogue just add sneak attack damage to said build (just use desert kobold for no CON hit)

there are also nice size related feats that you can use (confound the big folk,etc) to sneak attack people and use them as soft cover

and a rogue/swashbuckler also creates a pretty good combo

there are usually much better choices for wizards or clerics/druid though but you can still use the aging trick to get mental stats

if you intend to use weapons though, I find them subpar to most builds since you get size penalties and low STR (ranged weapons are terrible)

Eldariel
2010-01-15, 02:26 AM
the only problem is that gnomes and kobold are sworn ennemies (even lawful good kobolds have the urge to decapitate every gnome they encounter from what I read in races of dragon, but honestly who can blame them?)

A kobold mom killed a gnome child and replaced it with her babe. Gnomes never noticed the difference, with what their love of illusions and all.

Seracain
2010-01-15, 02:34 AM
I've been playing a Kobold Beguiler in my group. Currently no one in the party knows what race or class I am. The consensus is a Halfling Rogue with a tiny bit of Wizard for future prestige classes. :smallamused:

And since the campaign involves a fair bit of town defence, my trapmaking skills are coming in very handy.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-15, 02:41 AM
the only problem is that gnomes and kobold are sworn ennemies (even lawful good kobolds have the urge to decapitate every gnome they encounter from what I read in races of dragon, but honestly who can blame them?) So there can't be racial exceptions that struggle to overcome centuries of racial prejudice?

Sounds like an interesting concept for a character, though, for some reason, I get the urge to assume the kobold has two scimitars.

and the stoneblessed PrC assumes you befriend them , which would be quite a feat for a kobold

See above.

Serpentine
2010-01-15, 02:42 AM

Hey, go with the sure thing. Don’t gamble on your Power (snake eyes!). Try DRAGONWROUGHT, the feat that will make you (aaahhh!) POWER(aaahhh!).http://rlv.zcache.com/epic_win_button-p145034182661213355t5sj_400.jpg

Argh! It's too long to sig! And there's no way I could possibly choose a single part.Spoilers are your friend :smallwink:

Probably doesn't count, cuz they were still spellcasters, but I recently had a bunch of kobold Necromancers and Clerics, with loooooots of undead dragons. Seriously, lots. And that was holding back... :smalleek:
That was fun.

Soranar
2010-01-15, 02:46 AM
So there can't be racial exceptions that struggle to overcome centuries of racial prejudice?

Sounds like an interesting concept for a character, though, for some reason, I get the urge to assume the kobold has two scimitars.

See above.

well the only problem is that both races are unusually intolerant towards the other (Dwarves and Elves dislike each other but they don't go on murderous rampages for fun, well most of the time)

but, as usual, depends on the DM

Scimitars are a bit big, I'd go kukri ;)

Alcopop
2010-01-15, 02:49 AM

Sweet jebus how I loled. There are not enough internets in the world for that post to win.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-15, 02:53 AM
well the only problem is that both races are unusually intolerant towards the other (Dwarves and Elves dislike each other but they don't go on murderous rampages for fun, well most of the time)

but, as usual, depends on the DM

Scimitars are a bit big, I'd go kukri ;)

Drow and Dwarves, on the other hand...
Or Drow and Elves...
Or Drow and most any surface race...

After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is that exact thing.

Soranar
2010-01-15, 03:03 AM
Drow and Dwarves, on the other hand...
Or Drow and Elves...
Or Drow and most any surface race...

After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is that exact thing.

well He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named wasn't raised and accepted by surface dwellers into their fold as one of their race/clan (unless I missed that book?)

he made a couple of friends, not exactly the same thing (stoneblessed clearly states that you must spend years in the community you want to emulate and they must consider you one of them)

he was rejected by his race and spent most of his time killing greenskins

he did get trained by a human but they're (humans) basically the most tolerant race (and he was blind I think which means he could have not known what he was training)

but sure, you could find a community of blind gnomes to raise and train a kobold and train him as a blade bravo, it's DnD : the DM is the limit

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-15, 03:09 AM
well He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named wasn't raised and accepted by surface dwellers into their fold as one of their race/clan (unless I missed that book?)

he made a couple of friends, not exactly the same thing (stoneblessed clearly states that you must spend years in the community you want to emulate and they must consider you one of them)

he was rejected by his race and spent most of his time killing greenskins

he did get trained by a human but they're (humans) basically the most tolerant race (and he was blind I think which means he could have not known what he was training)

but sure, you could find a community of blind gnomes to raise and train a kobold and train him as a blade bravo, it's DnD : the DM is the limit

I'm just stating that racial stereotypes and prejudices do not ban a character from taking a class.

Coidzor
2010-01-15, 03:11 AM
What's the source on that strong tail feat, btw?

*wonders if kobolds can use braid blades*

Soranar
2010-01-15, 03:11 AM
races of dragon, as most kobold goodies (might be called dragon tail)

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-15, 05:53 AM
strong tail, multiattack, improved multiattack for a +0/+0/+0/+0 routine at level 1 which is far superior to a TWF build as you start that way

How do you get all three feats at level 1 though? With a level of fighter (or other feat-granting class), that'd be two feats. And I don't think any of those are Fighter bonus feats. Not to mention, that's assuming no Strength penalty, and you'd surely want Weapon Finesse.

hamishspence
2010-01-15, 05:56 AM

Mooshie knew all right. This is made very clear in the novel.

JaronK
2010-01-15, 06:02 AM
Here's the deal with Kobolds. They were very weak originally. Then a series of writers each got ideas for how to fix them, and created all sorts of powerful options for them. Now the sum of the fixes makes the Kobolds better than most races.

Dragonwrought alone makes Kobolds great. Combine it with Jungle Kobolds (or is it Desert Kobolds, I can never remember) and you've got a race with -4 Str, +2 Dex, +3 Int, +1 Wis, +3 Cha, no LA. That alone is awesome. Now throw in Slight Build, two Claw attacks, and Sovereign Archtypes... holy heck, what class wouldn't love it? Sure, the strength penalty hurts but the rest is awesome. Even normally strength based classes like Barbarians wouldn't mind the 5 bonus feats from Wyrm of War. What Rogue doesn't want +3 Int and +2 Dex with a +4 hide bonus and bonus feats? What Beguiler, Warmage, or Dread Necromancer would cry from suddenly getting the entire Cleric or Druid list added to their spell list in addition to +3 Int and Cha? What Monk would scoff at +2 Dex, +1 Wis, and two claw attacks, plus the bonus feats?

Once you start combining all the various boosts Kobolds get, they become clearly awesome at almost every class (and at least viable in all of them).

JaronK

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-15, 06:16 AM
Provided that you don't mind playing a kobold that's old as dirt :smalltongue:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-15, 07:36 AM
Kobold Cloistered Cleric 20, Trickery and Kobold Domain (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)s, officially worships Kurtulmak but has secretly switched to Vecna, Whispered Secrets (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Whispered_Secrets). Get six skill points/level, get Spot, Listen, Search, Disable Device, Bluff, Disguise, and Hide as class skills, along with Trapfinding, and full Cleric spellcasting with spells like Ironguard, Contingency, PAO, and Time Stop. If the party needs a skillmonkey, just make a Kobold Cleric.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-01-15, 09:08 AM
well if you use the kobold web enhancement with slight build or what ever it is I bet you could make a greater killer gnome!!
Ya thats right
Kobolds no matter how rediculous can qualify for Stoneblessed... which meens they could pick up all those delicous small esc feats...

Heres a link to the "I may be tiny but your dead" (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny,_But_Youre_Dead:_the_other,_melee_Ki ller_Gnome,_for_your_pleasure.) build.

I bet it can be made with a kobold

Steelblood
2010-01-15, 05:24 PM
Here's the deal with Kobolds. They were very weak originally. Then a series of writers each got ideas for how to fix them, and created all sorts of powerful options for them. Now the sum of the fixes makes the Kobolds better than most races.

Dragonwrought alone makes Kobolds great. Combine it with Jungle Kobolds (or is it Desert Kobolds, I can never remember) and you've got a race with -4 Str, +2 Dex, +3 Int, +1 Wis, +3 Cha, no LA. That alone is awesome. Now throw in Slight Build, two Claw attacks, and Sovereign Archtypes... holy heck, what class wouldn't love it? Sure, the strength penalty hurts but the rest is awesome. Even normally strength based classes like Barbarians wouldn't mind the 5 bonus feats from Wyrm of War. What Rogue doesn't want +3 Int and +2 Dex with a +4 hide bonus and bonus feats? What Beguiler, Warmage, or Dread Necromancer would cry from suddenly getting the entire Cleric or Druid list added to their spell list in addition to +3 Int and Cha? What Monk would scoff at +2 Dex, +1 Wis, and two claw attacks, plus the bonus feats?

Once you start combining all the various boosts Kobolds get, they become clearly awesome at almost every class (and at least viable in all of them).

JaronK
Do you have a list of books this info comes out of?

Signmaker
2010-01-15, 05:25 PM

Nearly any book with the word "Dragon" or any derivative of the word in its title.

...I'm not kidding.

hamishspence
2010-01-15, 05:28 PM
Races of the Dragon for Dragonwrought.
Unearthed Arcana for Jungle Kobolds and the like.
Dragons of Eberron for Sovereign Archetypes.
Draconomicon for "dragons of at least old age may take epic feats".

And the WoTC site has an alternate set of racial abilities for the Kobold that includes Slight Build (the Races of the Dragon version doesn't have that trait).

Dragon Magic probably has a few good things as well, though not specifically for kobolds.

Tanaric
2010-01-15, 05:29 PM

Dragonwrought is from Races of the Dragon.

Jungle/Desert Kobolds are from Unearthed Arcana.

Slight Build and natural attacks are from the web enhancement. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)

Sovereign Archetypes are from Dragons of Eberron. Don't use them in a normal game. Just... don't.

*runs around gibbering something about ninjas and guillotines*

Steelblood
2010-01-15, 05:47 PM
Hehe your kobold has to be at least 600 years old.

hamishspence
2010-01-15, 05:49 PM
Races of the Dragon table has Old age as 90. Dragonwrought kobolds use the same table, but their maximum age is much higher.

Steelblood
2010-01-15, 05:51 PM
Dragonwrought kobolds have to multiple that by 5 at least.

Steelblood
2010-01-15, 06:58 PM
I can't seem to find Wyrm of War anywhere.:smallconfused:

Runestar
2010-01-15, 07:12 PM
Page 30 of dragons of eberron. Never noticed it myself until it was specifically pointed out to me. :smallyuk:

SemiteLock
2010-01-15, 07:25 PM
*snipped for ease of use*

Someone likes powerthirst

HCL
2010-01-15, 07:28 PM
I had a dream last night where a great wyrm white dragonspawn dragonwrought kobold archivist cast giant size, dipped 2 levels of hulking hurler, and began destroying my hometown

not kidding

Steelblood
2010-01-15, 07:33 PM
oh one more thing where do you pick up the 2 claw attacks? i see that dragon type gives you proficiency but only if your NOT in humanoid form.

HCL
2010-01-15, 07:43 PM
oh one more thing where do you pick up the 2 claw attacks? i see that dragon type gives you proficiency but only if your NOT in humanoid form.

The web enhancement http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a

I'm going to get ninjaed I knows it

Steelblood
2010-01-15, 07:51 PM
Alrighty, its variant racial rules so you can't use both those and the racials that normaly apply or the other variant of say the desert kobold.

HCL
2010-01-15, 08:00 PM
Alrighty, its variant racial rules so you can't use both those and the racials that normaly apply or the other variant of say the desert kobold.

Uh, yeah you can. This is not another subrace, this is bonus racials.

Steelblood
2010-01-15, 08:05 PM
ah here it is,"these variants can be used individually or alongside one another, depending on the whims of the DM" so just like anything else. If you can talk the DM into it :smallwink:

Soranar
2010-01-15, 08:07 PM
I use crystalkeep as my source

and in the races index each type of kobold gets his 2 claws/ 1 bite natural attack

as for getting multiple feats level one , that entails using flaws (which you trade for feats)

mostlyharmful
2010-01-15, 08:08 PM
ah here it is,"these variants can be used individually or alongside one another, depending on the whims of the DM" so just like anything else. If you can talk the DM into it :smallwink:

yes.... just like time, space, gravity and causality, your games don't need them if your DM doesn't see the point. drowning heals you and casting is always broken, 3.5 is all houserules. What's your point?

Steelblood
2010-01-15, 08:11 PM
No real point to it, just trying to justify in the books.