PDA

View Full Version : [nWod] nonLethal damage with a sword

oxinabox
2010-01-14, 09:53 PM
Q85 nWod
What are the Rules for doing bashing (nonleathal) damage with say a sword (normally does Lethal)?
In Sparring for example.

A85 There aren't rules listed for that in any book I've read.

anyone come across the rule, or got a suggestion for a house rule?

Temotei
2010-01-15, 12:18 AM
anyone come across the rule, or got a suggestion for a house rule?

Nonlethal attacks done with weapons that normally deal lethal damage take a -4 penalty on attack rolls.

But only with melee weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#nonlethalDamage).

Narazil
2010-01-15, 12:19 AM
Nonlethal attacks done with weapons that normally deal lethal damage take a -4 penalty on attack rolls.
Not in New World of Darkness, a totally different system they don't.

Temotei
2010-01-15, 12:19 AM
Not in New World of Darkness, a totally different system they don't.

Ah. I didn't know what nWod meant. :smallsigh:

Why not use that then?

oxinabox
2010-01-15, 12:24 AM

But only with melee weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#nonlethalDamage).
Someone pass the meme pic: "dnd is not the only RPG"

and also the Read thread title/firstpost.
edit i see you didn't understand.
common abrivations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512)

-1 to 3 penality might work, or even max damage capped at 50% dice pool
storyteller is totally differnt from d20 though.
11 Health is the Max possible, without supernatural magic

Narazil
2010-01-15, 12:28 AM
(Warning: I play oWoD, and don't know how compatible they are)

Just remove a dice or two from the dicepool? I mean, it just requires the wielder to think a bit while swinging - botching the roll could mean they accidently deal some lethal damage.

Tengu_temp
2010-01-15, 12:29 AM
Exalted lets you deal bashing damage with a lethal weapon if you substract 1 success from the attack roll (not the same thing as -1 penalty). WoD has very similar mechanics, so you could do the same.

oxinabox
2010-01-15, 02:25 AM
Exalted lets you deal bashing damage with a lethal weapon if you substract 1 success from the attack roll (not the same thing as -1 penalty). WoD has very similar mechanics, so you could do the same.

they're both Storyteller system, so I'll rollwith that

Nerd-o-rama
2010-01-15, 02:37 AM
I'd just like to add that NWoD doesn't generally remove successes; rather it decreases the dice pool of the roll - defense, cover, environment, etc. remove dice from the pool, and never affect successes directly. I always liked that level of consistency compared to the 7128 ways you can affect rolls in OWoD or Exalted, plus it's important for NWoD botch rules (you can only botch, in this case probably accidentally injuring your target or yourself, if your dice pool is reduced to zero by penalties.)

Alternatively, get a damn practice sword (same stats, made of wood or bamboo, probably cheaper, deals Bashing). You'll put someone's eye out with that thing!

oxinabox
2010-01-15, 02:59 AM
-3 penality on average works out roughly as a -1 success...
idk