PDA

View Full Version : Making the Homunculi of Full Metal Alchemist [spoilers for manga]

Sir_Chivalry
2010-01-15, 12:41 AM
I am trying to build the seven homunculi of the Full Metal Alchemist manga as homebrew monsters, just for the laughs.

To quickly summarize, I'm looking to make monsters that can basically represent these seven characters:

Lust: ability to spear people with her nails, regeneration, vulnerability to fire (just to represent her death, which is modelled on the punishment in Purgatory fo the Lustful.)

Gluttony: ability to eat things (bite attack?), and swallow things (swallow whole), and swallow things in a line (disintegration?). regeneration.

Greed: Unbreakable skin. Regeneration in first form, may not have it in second.

Sloth: Strong and tough. Lazy. Regeneration coupled with an ability to memorize damage sources and gain immunity to them. Probably epic.

Wrath: Precognition (Foresight spell?), dual-wielding swords, ability similar to rage or frenzy to heighten combat skills (or perhaps iajutsu focus). May not have regeneration.

Envy: Shape-shifter, but seems to retain similar stats in all forms (I don't know). Regeneration.

Pride: Weak physically, but mental powerhouse, especially charisma. Powers tied to shadow, powerless in bright light or complete darkness. Area around it is laced with shadows that allow it to control, attack and hinder. Regeneration and seemingly extremely resilient (Heinkel, a lion chimera, mauls it repeatedly and Pride shows no signs of damage.)

Writing this, I realized that their CRs would be high, extremely high.

Frog Dragon
2010-01-15, 07:54 AM
The one thing about the Homunculi is that it does not actually correspond to D&D regen all that well.
I say they should have a (large) reserve of points they can use to activate some pretty insane regen, representing the philosopher's stone. For example; Lust basically full-healed from the ashes in a few seconds when fighting Mustang. Even after that they should have potent defenses. They have clearly shown capabilities in damage soak way over the human norm even without the healing factor.
oh and Pride should be a shadowcaster with added SLA:s. Totally.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-01-15, 10:44 AM
The one thing about the Homunculi is that it does not actually correspond to D&D regen all that well.
I say they should have a (large) reserve of points they can use to activate some pretty insane regen, representing the philosopher's stone. For example; Lust basically full-healed from the ashes in a few seconds when fighting Mustang. Even after that they should have potent defenses. They have clearly shown capabilities in damage soak way over the human norm even without the healing factor.
oh and Pride should be a shadowcaster with added SLA:s. Totally.

Perhaps a Damage Reduction? I'll admit it seems hard to kill them.

The-Mage-King
2010-01-15, 10:51 AM
Because they regenerate...

Sir_Chivalry
2010-01-15, 10:54 AM
Because they regenerate...

Yes, I know they regenerate.

But also, they are just more resilient, take for instance Wrath and the new Greed, both of who do not have regeneration being human homunculi. They still are able to take much punishment without showing signs of injury.

And yes, I'm aware the Greed has his shield, I mean even when his shield isn't up, like the fight against Pride and Gluttony.

Bob_the_Mighty
2010-01-15, 12:40 PM
I'll admit that most (ok, all...) of my knowledge of FMA is based off of the anime, but I'd say that Pride isn't really all that weak physically. I remember him having extremely fast reflexes, and he's able to manipulate air currents with his sword. At least, that what it looks like in the first episode of FMA: Brotherhood. Oh, and he has his all-seeing eye.

Frog Dragon
2010-01-15, 12:52 PM
the Pride of the anime is basically the same as the Wrath of the manga.

Kazen169
2014-10-14, 05:23 PM
i say use the BOGEYMAN (TEMPLATE) from D20 Modern with a few tweeks here and there. (tweek no included)
Template Traits
“Bogeyman” is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal humanoid (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”). The creature retains its humanoid type. It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Challenge Rating:Same as base creature +1.
Defense: The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by +3.
Special Qualities:A bogeyman retains all the special qualities of the base creature and gains the additional special qualities described below.
Death’s Door (Su): A bogeyman appears to die if reduced to –10 hit points. However, unless it is reduced to its negative Constitution score in hit points, its “death” is only temporary; when the bogeyman’s fast healing ability (see below) brings its hit point total to 1 or higher, it springs back to life.
Fast Healing 5 (Su): A bogeyman heals 5 points of damage per round until it is reduced to its negative Constitution score, at which point it dies. This ability does not enable the bogeyman to regrow or reattach severed body parts.
Immunities (Ex): A bogeyman is immune to disease, mind-affecting effects, necromantic effects, paralysis, poison, and sleep. It is not subject to nonlethal damage.
Ability Scores:A bogeyman gains the following ability
score increases: Str +2, Con +4. A bogeyman must have a minimum Constitution score of 11.

EdroGrimshell
2014-10-15, 12:14 AM
Lust: ability to spear people with her nails, regeneration, vulnerability to fire (just to represent her death, which is modelled on the punishment in Purgatory fo the Lustful.)

Gluttony: ability to eat things (bite attack?), and swallow things (swallow whole), and swallow things in a line (disintegration?). regeneration.

Greed: Unbreakable skin. Regeneration in first form, may not have it in second.

Sloth: Strong and tough. Lazy. Regeneration coupled with an ability to memorize damage sources and gain immunity to them. Probably epic.

Wrath: Precognition (Foresight spell?), dual-wielding swords, ability similar to rage or frenzy to heighten combat skills (or perhaps iajutsu focus). May not have regeneration.

Envy: Shape-shifter, but seems to retain similar stats in all forms (I don't know). Regeneration.

Pride: Weak physically, but mental powerhouse, especially charisma. Powers tied to shadow, powerless in bright light or complete darkness. Area around it is laced with shadows that allow it to control, attack and hinder. Regeneration and seemingly extremely resilient (Heinkel, a lion chimera, mauls it repeatedly and Pride shows no signs of damage.)

First off, the sin of Lust is punished by being trapped in a tornado for all eternity, not being burned. Secondly, lust's main ability was actually her ability to charm people into believing her harmless. I'd say she'd probably have something like the Unearthly Grace of a nymph, possibly the unholy variant. And she wasn't vulnerable to fire, she was killed by having the lives in her philosopher's stone drained by being repeatedly burned to death, as explained by Greed in Brotherhood.

Greed's a lot like an ozodrin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?153536-Tooth-and-Tentacle-base-class-PEACH), especially the movie and brotherhood versions. And ALL of the homunculus have regeneration of sorts, only difference is that they actually have several hundreds of lives they can live, each time they die, they regenerate. Absorbing further souls lets them continue living, as shown with Father and Envy at the end of Brotherhood.

Alternate form hardens skin to be as strong as diamond by arranging carbon in his body to form a flexible shell. As said prior, all homunculus possess a form of regeneration, which is explained better in Brotherhood (which more closely matches the manga and is thus closer to the original; I still prefer the first anime)

The Brotherhood Sloth only has extreme speed when moving in a straight line (tunnel vision is a b**ch) and a physically imposing form (high strength and dexterity), but lacked motivation to do anything unless forced into it. He couldn't memorize damage to gain immunity to it, he simply lost lives from his philosopher's stone, just like all the other homunculus.

Pretty accurate, Wrath was originally human so I'd imagine he'd actually have a template more so than anything else. I'd probably say he has the Whirling Frenzy or Adrenaline Rush ACF (UA or Cityscape web enhancement respectively). He does not possess regeneration, maybe fast healing though, but he's incredibly tough and hard to kill regardless.

Envy retains his weight in all forms, his base form being a giant dog thing. That form probably has an aura of fear of some kind because of all the soul things trying to crawl out of his body. He maintains his natural strength and resilience, though his Dex may change since he's usually going into a smaller, more agile body than his base form.

That is largely true of his artificial body, his true body is the black formless blob under Armestris that is stuck there because it can't leave its container outside of being in the artificial body he possesses. He's also the only homunculus to display that they can eat each other's philosopher's stone to gain each other's powers, likely increasing their respective strengths as well.

Just some clarifications on things I thought were slightly misrepresented in the earlier comments.