PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Help wanted - Cursed necromantic weapon

Edge of Dreams
2010-01-15, 12:46 AM
Hey folks, need a little help working up details for a cursed weapon, as 4e has precious few examples of cursed items.

Relevant details:

-Some kind of big weapon (bastard sword, greataxe, etc.), haven't decided yet, but doesn't really matter that much

-Party is level 11

-Will be wielded by a corrupted Paladin with the Death Knight template from the DMG, which hopefully the party will kill and loot

-The large gem set in the hilt/pommel is actually the phylactery of a dracolich the party has not yet met, but probably will in a level or two. Disenchanting the weapon will leave the phylactery part of it intact. How they can destroy that as well is yet to be determined.

-The properties of the weapon should be such that it would be tempting to use, but have clear drawbacks. I do not want the party to go "oh, it's cursed and sucks" and get rid of it. I also don't want the party to go "omg it's the best weapon evar who cares about the drawbacks!!!1!!"

-I'd like to maybe have the mechanics represent a corrupting influence on the wielder, a thirst for blood, etc.

Any ideas?

Xefas
2010-01-15, 12:55 AM
How about it lowers your Healing Surges to 0, and doesn't allow you to gain them back while you're in possession of the weapon + 24 hours or so. In addition, you don't heal naturally.

But, in exchange, dealing damage to living creatures heals you by a substantial amount. Possibly base the healing around the alignment of the harmed creature. Good gives you lots of healing, Evil gives you a little bit.

The idea is to simulate a 'bloodlust' by forcing the wielder to harm the living to maintain its own existence. Imagine, after a tough battle with some of the Dracolich's minions, the wielder is down to a few hit points, reinforcements are coming, and the only things around are innocent townfolk. Do you murder them so you're out full strength, don't die, and can save everyone else? Or do you hold onto your morals and use up what limited non-healing surge based healing the party has available, but will probably need later (and probably isn't enough to put you at full anyway).

Edge of Dreams
2010-01-15, 01:08 AM
How about it lowers your Healing Surges to 0, and doesn't allow you to gain them back while you're in possession of the weapon + 24 hours or so. In addition, you don't heal naturally. But, in exchange, dealing damage to living creatures heals you by a substantial amount.

Wow, that's.... Fiendish. I'm not sure how I'd balance that, and I'm wary of doing something so extreme in 4e, especially as this is coming right near the beginning of a new campaign. However, I may take this and tweak it... something like having reduced surges or surge value combined with a heal-on-hit...hmm....

Rigon
2010-01-15, 02:40 AM
Based on Xefas' original idea, how about this:
- the wielder does not regain healing surges naturally (this effect fades off with one extended rest after abandoning the weapon meaning that the first extended rest regains no healing surges)
- each hitting attack with the weapon which deals [Tier] or more [W] damage (hits of multi-hit attack powers are summed together) has a chance* to add one to the healing surges of the wielder (cannot exceed maximum)
- each critical hit with the weapon has a chance* add temporary hit points equal to the surge value to the wielder (maybe limit this to once per encounter)

chance*: D20 + Half-Level + Con/Cha mod (whichever is LOWER) greater or equal to Target's Level (Target must pose a threat, same rules apply as for warlock's pact, nobody can smash cockroaches for Healing Surges)

Oh and these effect are meant to be "No action" powers.