PDA

View Full Version : Lord of Darkness [3.5] build

SethFahad
2010-01-15, 01:20 AM
I am curious, what is the build of Richard, Chief Warlock of the brothers of darkness, Lord of the 13 hells, Master of the bones, Emperor of the black, Lord of the undead, Lord of the dance etc etc...?

Says he's "warlock".
Has a familiar (or had anyway) imp.
Use ALOT of fiery blasts.
He's undead. (a lich maybe??? hmmm... or a ghoul or ghast ["eat babies"])

What do you think?

(I don't know if this question is a "no-no". It's about a hero of a different comic, so... I'm sorry if it is. My bad. :smallredface:)

Edit: title edit.

tyckspoon
2010-01-15, 01:29 AM
Hellfire Warlock with some stat-damage immunity/reduction trickery would come pretty close, I think. Its primary abilities are 'blast it with magic' and 'burn it with EVIL DEATH FIRE.'

SethFahad
2010-01-15, 01:36 AM
Hellfire Warlock with some stat-damage immunity/reduction trickery would come pretty close, I think. Its primary abilities are 'blast it with magic' and 'burn it with EVIL DEATH FIRE.'

He can't be hellfire warlock, because he is undead. Undeads have no Constitution score, so no hellfire... and there is no way preventing or bypassing this rule...sadly...

I know he is based on WoW Warlock but, I want a 3.5 build.

tyckspoon
2010-01-15, 01:52 AM
He can't be hellfire warlock, because he is undead. Undeads have no Constitution score, so no hellfire... and there is no way preventing or bypassing this rule...sadly...

I know he is based on WoW Warlock but, I want a 3.5 build.

Not really a problem, MMO Undead races tend to not be 'really' undead (because if they were they'd be screwed by other player's anti-undead abilities.) Make him a human or something with a Corruption score giving him an undead-like appearance if you really want it to have a mechanical representation. If not, just say he's weird-lookin' and do a standard build.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-15, 01:55 AM
He does have limits, he just rarely reaches them. His power is tied to something in the village. He sticks to a few, very powerful, blasting effects and occasionally flips out in melee. Anyone else thinking Lich Sorcerer with the 3.0 Animal Friendship spell and Gishy PrCs?

bloodhawk
2010-01-15, 01:56 AM
Either that, or allow a "living undead" subtype similar to the "living construct" subtype, which would remove some undead immunities and also give him a Con score. Richard is pretty clearly a hellfire warlock.

Edits: Although sorcerer focused on blasting could work too. I've just never really thought of Richard as being limited by spells-per-day, since he certainly doesn't act like he has to conserve spell slots.

JeminiZero
2010-01-15, 01:59 AM
Richard is *bit* too versatile to be a straight D&D warlock. But mainly becauses LFG portrays him using a variety of powers in one off scenarios (like animating his enemy skeletons, transforming into jewelry etc). I would peg him as an Eldritch Theurge with a Precocious Apprentice splash in either Wizard or Sorc to account for occasional secondary powers, and a spellbook full of blasty stuff that he infuses into his Eldritch blast via Spellblast.

Longcat
2010-01-15, 02:09 AM
Richard (http://lfgcomic.com/video/fcbazH6aE2g) is most definitely a Sublime Chord. Just look at his performance :smalltongue:

As for Hellfire Warlock, I'd say no. He clearly utilizes regular fire and frost spells

As for his build, I'd go with the following:
Human Gravetouched Ghoul
Bard4/Warlock1/Eldritch Theurge5/Sublime Chord5/Eldritch Theurge+5

Add a variety of frost and fire spells to his Eldritch Blast utilizing Eldritch Theurge's ability. As for hctib elttil, take Obtain Familiar+Improved Familiar.

bloodhawk
2010-01-15, 02:19 AM
I was mostly considering Hellfire Warlock because it's the blastiest warlock prc around, but I'd forgotten about the eldritch theurge, which is even better, and gives Richard more versatility...

However, I don't feel Richard is a 20+ level character - I'd place him in the 10-15 range. He's certainly not on a 9th level spells powerlevel.

SethFahad
2010-01-15, 02:35 AM
Ok. So what about his ability to sustain critical damage (well...not "critical" because undeads are immune to critical but...) like impaled in the mast of a ship or mutilation and feeling no pain none the less.

Maybe something like DR or... "Improved Pain Callousness" :smalltongue:

JeminiZero
2010-01-15, 05:14 AM
Thats largely description. Undead in D&D also generally feel no pain from physical damage (which is why they are immune to non-lethal, stunning and the like). Although they might suffer from Holy effects.

SethFahad
2010-01-15, 05:28 AM
Stupid of me... You are right.

I'm looking at "Necropolitan" template. It fits...

And about Hellfire Warlock, can we use the rule Con/Cha use???
I mean, undead use their charisma score in place of constitution for most game purposes, so How about a house rule here? You think it's to much? Would you house-rule this?

Longcat
2010-01-15, 05:30 AM
Well, undead in general are immune to ability damage, so Hellfire Warlock wouldn't work.

SethFahad
2010-01-15, 05:40 AM
Undead are immune to damage to their physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution).
That's why I'm thinking of house-ruling this.

Pathfinder says
No Constitution score. Undead use their Charisma score in place of their Constitution score when calculating hit points, Fortitude saves, and any special ability that relies on Constitution (such as when calculating a breath weapon's DC).

So if Hellfire Warlock takes damage to her Charisma that wouldn't be "cheat".
Heck, it's even BAD for warlock having his primary ability damaged!!!

For example

A human Hellfire Warlock using her hellfire ability damages her Con and in the following way:
her HP
her Fort saves
her Con depending skills

An undead Hellfire Warlock using her hellfire ability damages her Cha and in the following way:
her HP
her Fort saves
her Cha depending skills
her whole invocation and/or spellcasting ability, DCs for resisting her invocations and spells, etc etc

Longcat
2010-01-15, 05:48 AM
Pathfinder allows you to use Charisma for HP and Fort saves? Wow...

SethFahad
2010-01-15, 06:04 AM
Pathfinder allows you to use Charisma for HP and Fort saves? Wow...

I'm just posting the source of my sayings. There is no reason to be ironic...:smallannoyed:

JeminiZero
2010-01-15, 06:06 AM
I wouldn't think of Richard as a Hellfire lock that burns Charisma. I mean, he maintains that same charm no matter how many orphanages he incinerates. :smalltongue:

SethFahad
2010-01-15, 06:26 AM
Back in 1983, Monster Manual II was template called Pseudo-Undead that gave you Con score equal to 10+your HD.

Is there something similar nowadays?

Longcat
2010-01-15, 07:00 AM
I'm just posting the source of my sayings. There is no reason to be ironic...:smallannoyed:

Oh, I didn't mean to be ironic, I honestly didn't know PF would rule that way, hence my amazement. I apologize if I've offended you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-15, 07:22 AM
That is a WoW comic, so he's definitely a Forsaken (http://www.wowwiki.com/Forsaken) Warlock (http://www.wowwiki.com/Warlock).

Edit: I'd probably use Wizard, and focus primarily on Evocation (fire) and Necromancy spells. Maybe use Thaumaturgist for the Planar Cohort to represent the typical WoW Warlock pet, though Richard's was a bit of an antagonist rather than a companion.