PDA

View Full Version : Damaging Cleric Spells

Veeda Vidlak
2010-01-15, 03:11 AM
What are some cleric spells (of any level) that deal damage? I need some direct damage spells for an npc favored soul that uses them and will be showing up in my campaign soon. I'm away from my books right now, but I should recognize most of the spells once mentioned provided they are in a supplement I have.

I can think of the following off the top of my head.

Radiant Assault
Flame Strike
Fire Storm
Sound Lance
Ice Flowers
Cometfall
Searing Light
Earthquake
Blade Barrier
The 4th level alignment spells like Order's Wrath
Negative Energy spells like Harm

The favored soul in question is Lawful Evil if alignment is relevant.

No domain spells please, only the cleric spell list.

Eldariel
2010-01-15, 03:17 AM
Tyche's Darkbolt. Lords of Madness. Also, just plain Darkbolt from Spell Compendium. Also, this thread (http://web.archive.org/web/20080416122056/http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=605481) may interest you. Organization is poor, but it's quite comprehensive.

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-15, 03:57 AM
Sonic Burst is a low level but possibly useful spell, since it's a Fort-based save-or-be-stunned spell.

Don't forget Thor's Lightning Chain Lightning

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-15, 08:01 AM
Frostburn has (Lesser) Shivering Touch and Blood Snow.

Slime Wave was a favorite, Spell Compendium ruined it but it was reprinted in Fiendish Codex I to once again apply multiple patches to large+ creatures.

leon666
2010-01-15, 08:22 AM
Kind of an obvious one but the "Inflict x Wounds" thats all i really got.

Veeda Vidlak
2010-01-15, 01:02 PM
Are Tyche's Darkbolt and Darkbolt the same spell? It sounds like the unnamed one is just the reprinted version from LoM.

Also that was a nice link. I've added the following spells to my list

Lucent Lance
Darkbolt
Slime Wave
Frostburn Spells

Also, do the frostburn spells do well at higher levels with metamagic? IIRC they cap at relatively low numbers.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-15, 01:07 PM
A few:
Cometfall
Storm of Shards
Earth Reaver
Dust to Dust
Radiant Assault is okay

Tanaric
2010-01-15, 01:09 PM
Streamers, a 5th level Cleric/Wizard spell found in Shining South. Much fun when Maximized.

Sallera
2010-01-15, 01:09 PM
Light of Lunia/Mercuria/Venya, from Spell Compendium. Not too bad, since with a 10m/level duration you can usually avoid wasting an action on casting them.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-15, 01:12 PM
Greater Consumptive Field. Sorta.

Emmerask
2010-01-15, 01:13 PM
Kind of an obvious one but the "Inflict x Wounds" thats all i really got.

also the cure x and heal spells if going against undead :smallwink:

Veeda Vidlak
2010-01-15, 01:20 PM
Greater Consumptive Field. Sorta.

As awesome as this spell is it isn't allowed in the campaign due to the whole arbitrarily high strength and caster level thing.

Optimystik
2010-01-15, 01:39 PM
I know he's an NPC, but I just wanted to chime in that blasting is generally a bad idea for a Favored Soul. Unless he has amazing stats, either his save DCs will be awful or he won't have a lot of spells.

They were designed more for buffing and melee (they can get a martial or exotic weapon fairly easily, plus natural flight) than straight-up casting.

Veeda Vidlak
2010-01-15, 01:59 PM
I know he's an NPC, but I just wanted to chime in that blasting is generally a bad idea for a Favored Soul. Unless he has amazing stats, either his save DCs will be awful or he won't have a lot of spells.

They were designed more for buffing and melee (they can get a martial or exotic weapon fairly easily, plus natural flight) than straight-up casting.

He has plenty besides blasting and his save DCs are decent. The character just has a liking to using metamagiced spells to inflict heavy damage to large numbers of people. He serves in an army and is encouraged by his superiors to do this.

kemmotar
2010-01-15, 02:50 PM
You could also go for energy vortex...you can also "overload" it and the spell itself provides that you are able to use immunity or resistance to the element to mitigate the damage you take from overloading it. If I'm reading it right, you can also choose the type of damage at the time of the casting, making it quite versatile.

On the one hand it's a burst centered on you so depending on whether or not you can get in and get away safely but it can also be used as a last resort spell. If overloaded it has very good damage potential.