PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Dragonwrought Kobold?

leden
2010-01-15, 05:19 AM
I've heard a lot of times about Dragonwrought Kobold cheese. But I just don't get it, could one of you, fellow playgrounders, explain it to me?
Thx in advance! :smallbiggrin:

Eloel
2010-01-15, 05:24 AM
Kobolds with Dragonwrought feat don't get age penalties. Kinda like an auto-bonus of +3 to all mental scores. Any other cheese relies on interpretations

JaronK
2010-01-15, 06:17 AM
If you want to debate this, reopen the other thread, but here's the deal.

First off, Dragonwrought straight up lets you age without penalties, so if you start venerable (Great Wyrm) you get +3 to mental stat. Additionally, you qualify automatically for Epic feats without needing 21+ levels (most can't be accessed without so many skill ranks anyway, and the rest mostly suck, but a few like Epic Toughness are interesting).

Those are pretty straightforward. But then you get into the Sovereign Archtypes from Dragons of Eberron. These require, depending on how you look at it, either being a True Dragon or being a Dragon at all that has racial arcane abilities (which you have due to the Draconic Rites anyway) depending on your interpretation of DoE. Either way, you're a Dragon if you took Dragonwrought. If you want to get into exactly why they count as True Dragons see the thread where someone tried to debunk it... I have no desire to restart the debate in a new thread but you can check it out there. Suffice to say, the by strict RAW Kobolds sure as heck look like they qualify, which gives all sorts of goodies such as +2 Sorcerer levels (stacking with the Greater Draconic Rite), all Cleric or Druid spells added to your spell list (awesome for Beguilers, Dread Necromancers, and Warblades), or 5 bonus dragony combat feats. All of this is absolutely free, you just have to pick one.

And of course Kobolds already get such awesome stuff as access to the Greater Draconic Rite, which for one feat, 1100gp, and 4 hp gives you +1 Sorcerer level (in addition to 3/day spell like abilities with one Sorc level 1 spell of your choice, I recommend Identify). Also from the web enhancement there's Slight Build (which is great for skillmonkeys), two free claw attacks (great for Monks and Unarmed Swordsages), and some free racial proficiencies that I doubt many people care about. And hey, you get +1 caster level on the greatest blast spell in existance, Wings of Flurry, simply for being a Kobold.

The basic deal is that Kobolds were too weak to begin with and then a bunch of designers tried to fix them by giving them more stuff, but sometimes not everyone communicated with everyone else and they ended up giving way too much, to the point where Kobolds are, by RAW, the single most powerful 0LA race for most kinds of builds.

JaronK

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-15, 06:18 AM
I've heard a lot of times about Dragonwrought Kobold cheese. But I just don't get it, could one of you, fellow playgrounders, explain it to me?
Thx in advance! :smallbiggrin:
The last thread on this is barely a week old. You can locate it with search. I hope you will find it very enlightening.