PDA

View Full Version : SWSE Galaxy of Intrigue

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-15, 05:30 AM
Next week, Galaxy of Intrigue (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_of_Intrigue) is out with some rather...intriguing inclusions.

"This book provides new options and gear for nobles and other sly-minded characters, as well as a host of adventure hooks and campaign seeds that can be used to inject elements of intrigue into campaigns of all eras. It also includes rules for running skill challenges."

As much as I wish some of this stuff was included in, say, a GMs book, this is one book that I am going to get purely for the game mechanics aspect. Nobles are okay, but here is a book that I wished I had at my first session when I had to play it by ear.

I am most interested in the skill challenges part, as a small part of me is convinced it could be homebrewed into 4E to make it better as there's little difference mechanics-wise from the skills system.

What do you think?

Longcat
2010-01-15, 05:33 AM
Well, I'm going to give it a try, mainly because I'm curious about how they implemented skill challenges in a 3e based system. My games are already pretty intrigue-based, maybe I'll get some more ideas.

Although my players will probably hate me for it.

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-15, 05:36 AM
I have used Skill Challenges in my Saga games, though I had no idea they were called that. But skills such as Mechanics and Use Computer are designed for such things, as it Persuasion when you want to change someone's attitude towards you.

TheCountAlucard
2010-01-15, 02:54 PM
Kinda wish it had been around back when I was playing SWSE, instead of running it. Then again, I suppose I'll decide for myself when I get to read it.

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-18, 08:16 PM
Here's a thread on it over at Wizards (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22216777/Galaxy_of_Intrigue_(Spoilers)?pg=1), looks like a few disappointments are in store for us.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-18, 08:49 PM
Well, even if it's only for a couple of classes, new talents are good.

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-18, 08:51 PM
There's no new prestige classes though.

From what i am reading, Skill Challenges looks good!

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-02, 03:43 AM
Got a copy, looks very good. The skill challenge bit is better than than in 4e and looks much more workable and I am going to use it in my next campaign.

Can't help but laugh at the feat labeled "Meat Shield".

Bith, Defel, Fosh, Givin, Gotal, Herglic, Mrlssi, Neimoidian and Umbaran

Good stuff for nobles, they get three talent trees, one for intrigue, one of skill challenges and the third to complement skills. Everyone else gets one tree except for the soldier who gets two. Ace Pilot, Bounty Hunter, Crimelord and Gunslinger also get write ups. NOTHING for Jedi.

The campaign chapter is something of the sort I wished in the core rules...when i knew nothing about gaming. Has some rather interesting stuff about creating villains.

Praetorite Vong have a write up! But no stat blocks! :smallmad: This is in the groups section along with the Hapans, Naboo Resistance and NRI.

The chapter on Nyrian is similar to the Point Nadir one in Scum and Villainy, a planet that can be gone to in any era with a new Sith Lord but no Stat Bloc!

There are 8 mini adventures, which I think is more than Scum and Galaxy at War have given us. And an adventure based on Nyrian, The Perfect Storm which looks rather good but I won't say more.

Not bad, but I still would have liked a new prestige class for nobles. Something other than Crime Lord or Officer that say Padme or Princess Leia would have levels in.