PDA

View Full Version : Vista & Age of Empires 2

Eloel
2010-01-15, 08:20 AM
Age of Empires 2, a great classic game. I wanted some nostalgia, so I installed it, with hopes that I can play it over the internet, via igzones. But now, I'm at a loss on how to get it to run - I've been searching the internet for a solution for a few hours with no luck.

What I found out so far:

DirectX10 might be causing problem, no idea how to fix it.
Vista 'is' causing the problem - but it worked before, so there has to be a way.
ATI Radeon HD2600 does its best to not run Age of Empires, but again, it worked before on this PC with this exact hardware.

So, would the wise community of GitP be able to help me out?

Kzickas
2010-01-15, 08:22 AM
Age of Empires 2, a great classic game. I wanted some nostalgia, so I installed it, with hopes that I can play it over the internet, via igzones. But now, I'm at a loss on how to get it to run - I've been searching the internet for a solution for a few hours with no luck.

What I found out so far:

DirectX10 might be causing problem, no idea how to fix it.
Vista 'is' causing the problem - but it worked before, so there has to be a way.
ATI Radeon HD2600 does its best to not run Age of Empires, but again, it worked before on this PC with this exact hardware.

So, would the wise community of GitP be able to help me out?

Maybe you could give some more details on what happens when you try to run it? I can run AoE2 in vista no problem so it's not a universal vista problem

Eloel
2010-01-15, 08:29 AM
Maybe you could give some more details on what happens when you try to run it? I can run AoE2 in vista no problem so it's not a universal vista problem

I thought I did put it somewhere in there.

"Could not initialize graphics system. Make sure that your video card and driver are compatible with DirectDraw."

Bouregard
2010-01-15, 10:53 AM
Did you run it as administrator? (rightclick on .exe Run in Admin Mode)

Eloel
2010-01-15, 11:11 AM
Did you run it as administrator? (rightclick on .exe Run in Admin Mode)

Yes, yes I did. I also tried all compatibility modes to no effect.

MrPig
2010-01-15, 11:11 AM
Try compatibility mode. My girlfriend is able to run it on Vista just fine on her poop laptop.

Kzickas
2010-01-15, 11:36 AM
I had that problem on my old computer many years ago so it's not a vista thing, or at least not just a vista thing. I don't remember how I fixed it, but I found out through google so I'd try that

Athaniar
2010-01-15, 04:39 PM
Speaking of AoK and Vista, I can't get (LAN) multiplayer to work. There are two computers in the same room: one Vista laptop and one XP stationary, we have one disc, and we share the same modem. I'm sure it has worked in the past.

Kzickas
2010-01-15, 04:52 PM
Speaking of AoK and Vista, I can't get (LAN) multiplayer to work. There are two computers in the same room: one Vista laptop and one XP stationary, we have one disc, and we share the same modem. I'm sure it has worked in the past.

Firewall? If you've only been trying to host on one machine you might want to host on the other and see if that works

Athaniar
2010-01-15, 05:00 PM
Firewall? If you've only been trying to host on one machine you might want to host on the other and see if that works

I've tried to host on both (same lack of success), and I think I checked the firewall as well.

Mando Knight
2010-01-15, 05:28 PM
Did you switch screens and unblock online features? Windows Defender barks at that, so you should check it.

MrPig
2010-01-15, 06:49 PM
Networking between Vista and XP is quite a headache. I remember trying to do the same thing you did, and ended up simply setting up a direct connection between the machines.