PDA

View Full Version : Any lefties?

ScottishDragon
2010-01-15, 10:07 AM
Well someone started a thread about how he does some things left handed and other things right handed and people were posting that they were left handed.So i decided to make a thread for this purpose.
Are there any lefties out there?
*raises hand*

Ichneumon
2010-01-15, 10:08 AM
I'm a lefty.

Boo
2010-01-15, 10:10 AM
I prefer the term mollydooker. :smallcool:

Trog
2010-01-15, 10:21 AM
Leftie here. Right mind elsewhere.

Totally Guy
2010-01-15, 10:28 AM
I'm left handed.

But I object to a thread for left handed people as it excludes a lot of the forum (a lot like the condemned continent/hemisphere threads).

The thread should be "Left Handed and Right Handed and Handedness Trend Outliers in the playground". That excludes nobody.

:smalltongue: Hilarity Ensues!:smalltongue:

The Big Dice
2010-01-15, 10:28 AM
I'm a lefty!

Sneak
2010-01-15, 10:30 AM
Bah! 'Tis the devil's hand! Right-handedness is, well, right! :smalltongue:

Ikialev
2010-01-15, 10:31 AM
I'm a lefty.

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-15, 10:32 AM
You know, left-handedness is where the word "sinister" came from.

rakkoon
2010-01-15, 10:35 AM
My daughter is lefthanded...and blond...and has a very white skin.

I have none of those qualities

Makes ya think :smallconfused:

Green Bean
2010-01-15, 10:36 AM
Lefty here, at least with non sports related activities.

When I was in third grade, I had a t-shirt that said "If the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, then only left handed people are in their right minds." I loved that shirt, though people kept stopping me so they could read the whole thing.

Ichneumon
2010-01-15, 10:38 AM
My daughter is lefthanded...and blond...and has a very white skin.

I have none of those qualities

Makes ya think :smallconfused:

Isn't lefthandedness a ressesive trait?

EDIT: Now I think of it, wouldn't femalehood be a ressesive trait too?

Korith
2010-01-15, 10:42 AM
Aye. *Raises left hand*

Emperor Ing
2010-01-15, 10:43 AM

Actually it's a sex-linked trait.

edit: Righty here, sorry to dissapoint.

Dragonrider
2010-01-15, 10:44 AM
Lefty. :smalltongue:

cycoris
2010-01-15, 10:45 AM
I was a lefty, but started writing and eating with my right hand when I learned that I was going to start school in China, because I overheard someone talking about how they punished people who used their left hand.

...I was a very determined five-year-old.

But I'm definitely a lefty, even after 11 years of using both hands for different things.

Someday I'm going to learn how to write with my left hand, just because I'm interested in seeing if my handwriting is any different. :smalltongue:

Ichneumon
2010-01-15, 10:45 AM
Actually it's a sex-linked trait.

edit: Righty here, sorry to dissapoint.

I know it doesn't exactly work like that, but if you see sex-chromosomes as different alleles, wouldn't you say it is ressesive?

Morty
2010-01-15, 10:51 AM
I'm left-handed too, although I do a lot of thigns with right hand purely because everyone else does - like eating.
And my grandfather still hasn't gotten over it after almost 20 years. >_>

Emperor Ing
2010-01-15, 10:51 AM
I know it doesn't exactly work like that, but if you see sex-chromosomes as different alleles, wouldn't you say it is ressesive?

Well that only assumes that YY is a possible gene combination. :smalltongue:
Theoretically I think that is possible, but I THINK that triggers stillbirth.

Besides, two different alleles will appear on the 2 matching chromosomes in a person, and won't be the whole chromosome. A human has 46 chromosomes, and I know for a fact that hair color isn't determined by 2 whole chromosomes. The only variable that is determined by 2 whole chromosomes is gender, and that triggers the formation of...parts during fetal development.

Ichneumon
2010-01-15, 10:54 AM
Well that only assumes that YY is a possible gene combination. :smalltongue:
Theoretically I think that is possible, but I THINK that triggers stillbirth.

Well, certain allele combination can be fatal.

Besides, two different alleles will appear on the 2 matching chromosomes in a person, and won't be the whole chromosome. A human has 46 chromosomes, and I know for a fact that hair color isn't determined by 2 whole chromosomes. The only variable that is determined by 2 whole chromosomes is gender, and that triggers the formation of...parts during fetal development.

Well, you are certainly correct that it would be a bit farfetched, but I think the analogy is right.

Emperor Ing
2010-01-15, 10:59 AM
Ultimately, for humans, female gender as a recessive genotype? I don't think so. Of course, for different species, it's all over the place.

In some species, homozygousness(?) of sex chromosomes determines gender. In bees I believe, Females are XX and Males are X (one set of chromosomes for everything), and in bacteria (I am not kidding) gender is determined by possession of a single gene.

cycoris
2010-01-15, 11:03 AM
Ultimately, for humans, female gender as a recessive genotype? I don't think so. Of course, for different species, it's all over the place.

In some species, homozygousness(?) of sex chromosomes determines gender. In bees I believe, Females are XX and Males are X (one set of chromosomes for everything), and in bacteria (I am not kidding) gender is determined by possession of a single gene.

I think that instead of homozygous you meant monoploidy vs diploidy, which mean having one copy of each chromosome or two. Homozygous just means having the same allele for a given trait.

Emperor Ing
2010-01-15, 11:06 AM
I think that instead of homozygous you meant monoploidy vs diploidy, which mean having one copy of each chromosome or two. Homozygous just means having the same allele for a given trait.

No, I meant homozygous. I can't remember specifically, but for some butterfly I believe, if you're XX or YY, you're this gender, and if you're XY you're a different gender.

Ichneumon
2010-01-15, 11:08 AM
No, I think male bees are actually habloid and female bees are diploid. At least, that's what I remember.

Sneak
2010-01-15, 11:11 AM
Well, we stayed on topic here for almost an hour. :smalltongue:

Emperor Ing
2010-01-15, 11:34 AM
No, I think male bees are actually habloid and female bees are diploid. At least, that's what I remember.

Haploid, diploid, THOSE are the words I was looking for! :smallbiggrin:
And Sneak's right about our off-topicness...so...

I have a theory that the idea of left-handed scissors is a lie. True or False?

Ichneumon
2010-01-15, 11:50 AM

If it is false, it means I just fail hard in using most scissors.

Ikialev
2010-01-15, 11:52 AM
All scissors i use fail to cut anything when using my left hand. True story.

wxdruid
2010-01-15, 11:59 AM
I have one brother out of 5 siblings who is a lefty.

I am right handed, but I prefer to shoot left handed with the M16 since my left eye is dominant. I also found it was so much easier to shoot left handed.

clockworkmonk
2010-01-15, 12:05 PM
I am also left handed. And I have seen actual left-handed scissors. its the either handed scissors that are a lie. The key is to flip the blades, to mirror right-handed scissors. after that, it all works ok.

Efil
2010-01-15, 12:13 PM
Leftie here.

Grommen
2010-01-15, 12:43 PM
I was a lefty, but started writing and eating with my right hand when I learned that I was going to start school in China, because I overheard someone talking about how they punished people who used their left hand.

...I was a very determined five-year-old.

But I'm definitely a lefty, even after 11 years of using both hands for different things.

Someday I'm going to learn how to write with my left hand, just because I'm interested in seeing if my handwriting is any different. :smalltongue:

It will be believe me. You end up dragging your hand across your writing and you have to push and loop the letters backwards. My personal opinion this is why so many left handed people end up with some form of Dyslexicica <---ya I know this word ain't spelt right). We have to think about doing so many things backwards it's not funny. And if mom and dad are not Left handed themselves it's very hard for them to translate things like tossing a ball, writing. I can only think of maybe one or two teachers / coaches of mine that were left handed.

Still better than a few generations ago. My grandfathers were both left handed, and they were forced to write right handed, slapped with rulers, yelled at. One rebelled and went back to being left handed and the other developed a stutter till he quit school to make money for the family. Mom's a lefty as well, so I got lucky, cause she could help me learn stuff. None of us write well though.

Eventually if your a lefty, you have to learn to use your right hand for something. So it's far from useless. A great many guns don't eject on the left side so when shooting a hand gun the casing fly right by your eyes or smack you in the head (yes hot shells feal great!), bows nock on the wrong side, you can't borrow someones bowling ball or golf clubs, or baseball glove. Makes for a very interesting life.

I got into Martial Arts in my 30's. I fight right hand dominate, cause that was how I was shown. The nice thing is that once you get it down that way, the instructors make everyone fight left handed as well. :smallsmile: Ah the sweet, sweet revenge of watching a room full of Righty's stumble and trip when they have the wrong leg leading with the wrong arm.

Emperor Ing
2010-01-15, 04:38 PM
Odd thing I remembered about myself. Even though i'm right-handed, right-footed, and right-eyed, my left arm/leg/eye are much stronger than their counterparts for no good reason.

BizzaroStormy
2010-01-15, 04:51 PM
I'm left handed.

But I object to a thread for left handed people as it excludes a lot of the forum (a lot like the condemned continent/hemisphere threads).

The thread should be "Left Handed and Right Handed and Handedness Trend Outliers in the playground". That excludes nobody.

:smalltongue: Hilarity Ensues!:smalltongue:

What about those without hands?

Also, leftie here.

Totally Guy
2010-01-15, 05:02 PM
What about those without hands?

Also, leftie here.

Intentionally omitted so that I would be quoted and the subject of conversation becomes all about me where it quite rightly belongs. :smalltongue:

Lord Blace
2010-01-15, 05:33 PM
Ooh! Ooh! I'm left-handed! :smallbiggrin:

Remmirath
2010-01-15, 07:04 PM

I've never seen any. Either handed ones, yeah; unfortunately, I learned to use scissors with my right hand and now I'm even worse at using them with my left hand.

Yeah, I'm left-handed.

Da Beast
2010-01-15, 08:14 PM

My understanding is that being female isn't considered recessive because the Y chromosome is an incomplete chromosome the only serves to modify the function of the X (which is why the Y chromosome is tiny and Y shaped). A zygote with only one X chromosome will result in a baby (albeit an infertile one) where as a zygote with two Y's will never develop. Of course, it's been years since I've taken any biology classes so I could of just made all that up.

Also, another lefty here.

Serpentine
2010-01-15, 11:04 PM
EDIT: Now I think of it, wouldn't femalehood be a ressesive trait too?Never thought of it that way... But, alas, recessive/dominant traits are determined by gene alleles, not whole chromosomes.

I have a theory that the idea of left-handed scissors is a lie. True or False?No, they exist. But I chronically lose scissors, so I have to make do with whatever I can get :smallsigh:

Oh yeah. *raises (left) hand*

Bliu Skye
2010-01-16, 07:41 PM
I'm a leftie, although I am mostly ambidextrous except with handwriting.

ForzaFiori
2010-01-16, 08:38 PM
I got into Martial Arts in my 30's. I fight right hand dominate, cause that was how I was shown. The nice thing is that once you get it down that way, the instructors make everyone fight left handed as well. :smallsmile: Ah the sweet, sweet revenge of watching a room full of Righty's stumble and trip when they have the wrong leg leading with the wrong arm.

I was a martial artist for 10 years (from 5 to 15), and at my dojo, while we had to be able to throw punches/kicks with either hand/foot, when we sparred everyone always reverted to their natural hand, and it always threw people off when I came at them lefty instead of how they expected it. the only problem was that all the sudden all the stuff they taught us had to be modified, cause pretty much everything is based on fighting a right handed person from a right handed stance.

Emperor Ing
2010-01-17, 10:47 AM
No, they exist. But I chronically lose scissors, so I have to make do with whatever I can get :smallsigh:

Funny, cuz as a rightie, i've used all kinds of scissors right-handed without problems, even those I was told were left-handed scissors.

bluewind95
2010-01-17, 09:20 PM
I'm ambidextrous by nature. My brain always knew what to do to write and all. Sadly, I was taught to be a rightie and never developed coordination as well on my left hand. It knows how to do everything (I can write in cursive writing, upside-down, etc) but it does so more awkwardly than the right hand which has done that for so much longer.

Does that count?

Horrorshow
2010-01-21, 06:15 PM
Is it possible to become ambidextrous?

As a right-handed individual, I've been training my left hand for some time on easy tasks: brushing my teeth, eating, picking things up. I've actually moved on to writing now, especially note-taking in class. I don't know how much progress I've made, as my penmanship is horrendous with either hand. :smallcool: I've made some progress in terms of ease and comfort, but it's still pretty awkward.

Dragonrider
2010-01-21, 06:27 PM
Funny, cuz as a rightie, i've used all kinds of scissors right-handed without problems, even those I was told were left-handed scissors.

They were probably both-handed, then, because if they're molded for the opposite hand, they hurt to use. My sewing scissors are symmetrically molded and don't hurt my hand, but my paper scissors are for a rightie and despite the fact that they're round-edged (unlike some scissors, which have sharp corners) I still can't use them for any great length of time. They just feel wrong.

I brought this up to one of my friends once and she was like "I don't understand why left-handed people get so worked up about scissors!" Well . . . maybe if right-handed people were forced to use leftie scissors on a regular basis, they'd understand. :smallamused:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-21, 06:29 PM
Evil elitest is left handed.

I........am not.

Korith
2010-01-22, 10:04 AM
Is it possible to become ambidextrous?

I believe it is, though it's probably easier to go from Left to ambidextrous than Right to ambidextrous, simply because the left-handed individual routinely has to perform tasks with their right hand, inherently giving it an extra little push to improve its coordination.

That said, intentionally shifting hands will be very clumsy to start, but most tasks can be figured out left-handed with some time and effort. Things to try include eating, picking up and holding small objects, rotating/manipulating objects between your fingers, typing, writing, and tracing patterns with your fingers. Instruments which require two hands to play are also excellent ways to improve coordination between hands, though they often favor the right hand significantly.

Horrorshow
2010-01-22, 01:52 PM
I believe it is, though it's probably easier to go from Left to ambidextrous than Right to ambidextrous, simply because the left-handed individual routinely has to perform tasks with their right hand, inherently giving it an extra little push to improve its coordination.

That said, intentionally shifting hands will be very clumsy to start, but most tasks can be figured out left-handed with some time and effort. Things to try include eating, picking up and holding small objects, rotating/manipulating objects between your fingers, typing, writing, and tracing patterns with your fingers. Instruments which require two hands to play are also excellent ways to improve coordination between hands, though they often favor the right hand significantly.

Yeah, I'm already more competent with my non dominant (left) hand than most of my friends and peers are. Are you ambidextrous, or training yourself to be?

Korith
2010-01-22, 02:10 PM
I'm a natural lefty that can do a lot of things right handed (or coordinated with two hands, like synchronized rotation of things between fingers) - but I wouldn't consider myself fully ambidextrous.

Zaydos
2010-01-22, 02:12 PM
I'm a lefty, although I can do everything but handle pencils and pencil-like objects almost as well with my right hand. And scissors, I'm bad with scissors except my old pair of left handed scissors. I also type primarily with my right arm, and am actually stronger with my right arm (had surgery on my left).

Also chickens. Roosters are homozygous for the Z (or W?) chromosome, while hens have W/Z chromosome pair, so yes there are animals where the males are homozygous and the female isn't. Same is true of some insects, and others determine gender do to haploid or diploid nature.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-22, 03:21 PM
Leftie here.

You know, left-handedness is where the word "sinister" came from.

I was told it was from some olden-times goddess, and people made the word sinister to make women second class citizens (or something to that effect, steering clear of politics and religion).

Left handed scissors aren't a lie, they just suck.

I do everything leftie except (attempt to) play guitar. Dunno why :smallconfused:

Xsesiv
2010-01-22, 03:27 PM
Isn't lefthandedness a ressesive trait?

Yes.

Klinefelter's Syndrome gives people the atypical chromosome pattern XXY and they are male.

I'm a righty, but I cricket-bat left-handed. :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2010-01-22, 03:29 PM

I think it probably has more to do with how dominant your dominant hand really is.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-22, 03:35 PM
I was completely ambidextrous until the age of 4. The head at my primary school decided it was weird that I used to just swap hands when one got tired, so they made me pick one. And not knowing any better I chose left.

Now my right hand is as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

itsmeyouidiot
2010-01-22, 03:59 PM
I remember always picking up the "lefty" scissors by accident. It almost made me wish I was left handed.

Of course, if I were left-handed, I would probably pick up the right-handed scissors.

megabyter5
2010-01-22, 07:35 PM
I am a left-handed person. I have only three exceptions to my philosophy of pacifism, and one of those is if someone gave me a "Lefty" notebook as a present, I would slap their left wrist. And then burn the notebook, because it's of no use to anyone, whether they're right-handed or left-handed. They were invented by right-handed people who decided that if it is inconvenient for them, we must find it so much easier. They are dreadfully wrong, as everyone in this topic is hopefully aware.

Mr. Spock
2010-01-22, 11:15 PM
WOOOOO!!! LEFTIES ROCK!:smallbiggrin:

Phae Nymna
2010-01-22, 11:20 PM
I be a lefty. I've also just started trying to write backwards, like any true lefty should, to adjust for the intolerance committed by right handers when they decided to teach us lefties to write right handed. True left handed writing should be a mirror image of right handed writing, moving from right to left, starting at the rightmost margin of the next line.

ForzaFiori
2010-01-22, 11:36 PM
Leftie here.

I was told it was from some olden-times goddess, and people made the word sinister to make women second class citizens (or something to that effect, steering clear of politics and religion).

I'm pretty sure that Mauve is right. Right and left used to be "dexter" and "senestra" in Latin, which gives us "dexterous" from right, and "sinister" from left. In fact, most languages do that. Romance languages, Germanic languages, and Slavic languages almost all have the word for right (as in handedness) meaning the same as correct, and typically the word for left means either "not right" or "bad"

I do everything leftie except (attempt to) play guitar. Dunno why :smallconfused:

The guitar thing is probably because lefty guitars are VERY expensive and rare. I've searched for a long time, and I can't find an affordable lefty bass for the life of me. In fact, its been so long, I just learned to play it backwards.

ΩΩΩ
2010-01-23, 12:46 AM
I'm left handed. Lefties are known for their creativity and insight (in contrast, left-brain dominant individuals are supposed to have greater logical reasoning abilities).

Em Blackleaf
2010-01-23, 02:08 AM
I'm a lefty. It is impossible for me to write or eat with my right hand. I've tried, and I made a pathetic mess. :smalltongue:

I don't know if I'm left-brained or right-brained. I'm a little creative and artistic here and a little logical and methodical there. So, I'm not so sure about the left-handed-right-brained dominance thing. *shrugs*

So, I want to be a teacher when I grow up and the whole "writing on a white board all day" thing is gonna be a challenge. I think I'll have to work on mastering nice hand writing while not smearing expo marker all over my hand. Anyone else think about these things? :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-23, 05:00 AM
...So, I want to be a teacher when I grow up and the whole "writing on a white board all day" thing is gonna be a challenge. I think I'll have to work on mastering nice hand writing while not smearing expo marker all over my hand. Anyone else think about these things? :smalltongue:

I didn't until you just brought it up....crud :smallannoyed:

Innis Cabal
2010-01-23, 05:05 AM
I'm a lefty. It is impossible for me to write or eat with my right hand. I've tried, and I made a pathetic mess. :smalltongue:

I don't know if I'm left-brained or right-brained. I'm a little creative and artistic here and a little logical and methodical there. So, I'm not so sure about the left-handed-right-brained dominance thing. *shrugs*

So, I want to be a teacher when I grow up and the whole "writing on a white board all day" thing is gonna be a challenge. I think I'll have to work on mastering nice hand writing while not smearing expo marker all over my hand. Anyone else think about these things? :smalltongue:

Learn to write backwards.

EnderChant
2010-01-23, 12:29 PM

The same thing happens to me whenever I take notes in pen for a long time -- the whole side of my hand turns blue.

On the bright side, lots of fencers live in fear of lefties :smallamused: (Lefthandedness doesn't actually give you an advantage, it's just that most righties are used to fencing other righties).

ForzaFiori
2010-01-23, 12:33 PM

lol. I had that same problem, till I actually started writing on a white board alot in my math class. The pen is so dang big, that I hold it completely different, and my hand doesn't even touch the board.

Now I just gotta get better handwriting.

TheThan
2010-01-23, 12:47 PM
Being left handed myself, I whole heatedly agree with just about everything people are saying. Especially the writing and shooting (being a shooter all my life). Writing is a pain, and I have horribad handwriting. I’ve been thinking of buying some “teach your child how to write” books and re-teach myself handwriting.
But I’m lazy and I can think of more interesting things to do with my time.

On a side note, I use my computer mouse with my right hand, it was more convent for me when I was learning how to use a computer in junior high school.

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-23, 02:04 PM
I'm left handed. I also suffer from dyspraxia, so I had to really work hard on the handwriting and some of the other issues. I generally use biro where possible to prevent smudges whilst writing.