PDA

View Full Version : high level spell=incantation [E6]

Shademan
2010-01-15, 10:15 AM
So I was planning a E6 game and thought that since higher level spells are unattainable I would make them availible as incantations (as seen in unearthed arcana p.174)
But I really don't understand how the incantations work. how do I turn a higher level spell into a incantation?

also: I figured that attack spells could be made into incantations as well. at the completion of the ritual you gain a small item (like a tennisball sized orb for disintegrate) that you can use as if it were the spell, naturally the orb is destroyed and works only for you. but the point is above^

pasko77
2010-01-15, 10:43 AM
In E6 you shouldn't have acces to high level spells. Allowing this would again unbalance the game for the casters and deny the whole point of the ruleset. Why do you need higher level spells?

Anonymouswizard
2010-01-15, 10:45 AM
Incantations should be specific, so you can only travel to a certain point in a plane at a certain time.

Shademan
2010-01-15, 10:49 AM
well...disintigrate is really funny...
also, I like the idea of incantations. Being able to defeat the demonlord of the abyssal butt using a incantation the players found inscribed on a stone under a huge ruin is kinda cool. and fitting.
I don't want to give the players access to the same level of magic as if they were playing normal D&D. Just possibilites for the scenario above and such.

Lapak
2010-01-15, 10:50 AM
In E6 you shouldn't have acces to high level spells. Allowing this would again unbalance the game for the casters and deny the whole point of the ruleset. Why do you need higher level spells?
I'm working on my own E6 variant on the moment, and on the whole I agree with pasko here. There are a few specific higher-level spells that I can see being made available as rituals or incantations or circle magic, but one of the biggest upsides to E6 is eliminating the upper tiers of magic.

Heck, in the writeup I'm working up even the gods themselves don't have access to divine spells over third level, and only magic-oriented ones can get access to SOME of the higher level arcane spells.

All that said, the SRD page for incantations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm) seems to cover how they work pretty well.