PDA

View Full Version : Do You Really Want to Read Another Computer Help Post?

Jesse Drake
2010-01-15, 10:36 AM
Hello my fellow Playgrounders- I've got a computer issue that I am a bit curious about. My computer has no background, and has a message for Internet Security 2010 on it, that won't go away, and I don't want to do anything without asking around first. Where the background would be, there's a giant message saying "Your System is Infected". First thing's first- let me explain about my past computer issues, and the condition of my usage.

This deals with the use of my at home computer- it is shared, and at one point, I know it had all the firewalls and protection up, but now, I'm not so sure. About a week or two ago, my computer almost entirely shut down- not so suddenly though, as it had been funkin' up for about a *cough* month or two.

Anyways, I finally had my brother in law fix it up, strip down the thing and reformat everything. He returned to me my cleaned and file-less computer (I expected that much), but about two days later, there was a message for an auto update. I kept clicking no, but eventually, it was hit.

When my computer starts up, it has a message saying something about a worm being sent via e-mail, and a big message on the background saying "Your System is Infected" (my genius roommate asked me what that meant). Now, I use the computer for a very limited amount of activity. I check this and one or two other forums, and I read pdf files. (I don't know if I should say this), I don't check e-mail, I don't watch videos (My eyes have problems with movement), I don't even listen to music (Since my eyes are so bad, my ears are super sensitive)

My roommate, however, claims that it is my fault, despite their constant usage of instant messenger, and file exchange through e-mail, the fact they mindlessly click whatever pops up in a window (random Allow This Cookie windows), despite the fact the message popped up while they were on! Another thing, another friend suggested this might just be a way to get me to buy some software-

Now- the questions- What's wrong with the computer? What should I do? Should I pay and get it fixed again? Is this just a hoax? Can I continue usage without anything bad happening?

vampire2948
2010-01-15, 10:46 AM
I suggest you first try changing your anti-virus software.

If you don't want to buy some, google AVG free. It is pretty good and should let you know if your computer is really infected, or if things are lying to you.

Don't forget to uninstall your current anti-virus before you install AVG. Confliction issues, and all.

No need to pay for anyone to fix your computer. I find the majority of problems are fixable by yourself with liberal application of google.
You might also try looking in the processes window, and looking for anything unusual. But do that after scanning with AVG.

Hope I helped,

Vampire2948,

Jesse Drake
2010-01-15, 10:49 AM
I suggest you first try changing your anti-virus software.

If you don't want to buy some, google AVG free. It is pretty good and should let you know if your computer is really infected, or if things are lying to you.

Don't forget to uninstall your current anti-virus before you install AVG. Confliction issues, and all.

No need to pay for anyone to fix your computer. I find the majority of problems are fixable by yourself with liberal application of google.
You might also try looking in the processes window, and looking for anything unusual. But do that after scanning with AVG.

Hope I helped,

Vampire2948,

You kinda helped- but I've come to the conclusion I know nothing about computers (I did not admit that months ago when I first "fixed the computer though"), so telling what's different might not be so effective. Not to mention, the problems sprang up right away, so I can't tell what's important or not.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-15, 10:54 AM
Have you tried reversing the polarity?

(Try this (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGk0SlkVBL3NAA9JhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzNGF1aGY wBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0g0NzVfMTM5/SIG=11kjhsec5/EXP=1263657765/**http%3a//housecall.trendmicro.com/))

Jesse Drake
2010-01-15, 11:04 AM
Have you tried reversing the polarity?

(Try this (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGk0SlkVBL3NAA9JhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzNGF1aGY wBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0g0NzVfMTM5/SIG=11kjhsec5/EXP=1263657765/**http%3a//housecall.trendmicro.com/))

Will this charge me for the full version after it scans? I won't be able to do that now, and would like to know ahead of time please.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-15, 11:10 AM
No it will not.