PDA

View Full Version : [Maid RPG] Tips for a Nervous Newbie?

Deme
2010-01-15, 11:36 AM
Now, I recently discovered the Maid RPG and thought it sounded insanely awesome, and roped a pair of old DnD friends into playing along. One of them agrees with me that it seems pretty awesome, but my other friend is kind of scared. She wants to play, both because this is the first thing the three of us have done as a group in forever and because she wants to give this system a try. But she's not used to comedy or light-hearted stuff or randomness, so she's worried she's going to not play well, despite my assurances that she'll be fine.

So, I was wondering if anyone would have some tips I can pass along to her: ways to approach things or handle things or get her energy up and so forth. It's sort of a wierd question, but I think having some little mini-strategies may make her feel more at ease in something unfammiliar to her.

SparkMandriller
2010-01-15, 12:28 PM
Can't she just act serious and get all flustered when everyone else starts getting up to crazy antics? I mean, isn't there always a character like that?

Kylarra
2010-01-15, 12:31 PM
Can't she just act serious and get all flustered when everyone else starts getting up to crazy antics? I mean, isn't there always a character like that?Yeah, that seems like a perfect foil to the crazy antics of maid rpg.

Doc Roc
2010-01-15, 01:14 PM
Don't Panic.
Always Know Where Your Towel Master is.

Excerpted from Maid-Stryker's Guide to the Galaxy

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-15, 01:16 PM
Guard your underwear well... or not.

Cubey
2010-01-15, 01:18 PM
Can't she just act serious and get all flustered when everyone else starts getting up to crazy antics? I mean, isn't there always a character like that?

Totally fits the setting, and also: So moe!

SparkMandriller
2010-01-15, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I was going to suggest that the character be a blind childhood friend robot alien ghost, but I think the game itself makes you play a character like that, so I guess we can leave it for now.

Mando Knight
2010-01-15, 01:49 PM
It does fit.

Otherwise, I recommend "medication." From being shy and such, she sounds a bit more of a wine cooler gal than a hard liquor one...

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-15, 01:50 PM
Protip: Relax and think of England.

HidaTsuzua
2010-01-15, 04:34 PM
A straight man (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StraightMan) butler is always good and recommended in the rules. Hayate the Combat Butler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayate_the_Combat_Butler) is another good way to get an idea of how life in Maid should go.

Shademan
2010-01-15, 04:42 PM
screaming "TENTACLE TIME!" at the top of your lungs is a great way to break the ice

Touchy
2010-01-15, 07:07 PM
Protip: Relax and think of England.

"Now all I can do is sit-back, and think of England." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtIG4TuVnvg&feature=player_embedded)
It's censored, so I'm assuming I can post it.

Thayus
2010-01-16, 05:55 AM
Use the de-pedoing kit.

Fortunately, that involves marking out one line in chargen, so it doesn't break anything.

-Thayus

Sir Homeslice
2010-01-16, 06:15 AM
Use the de-pedoing kit.

Fortunately, that involves marking out one line in chargen, so it doesn't break anything.

-Thayus

Loli meidos are adorable, though.

Thayus
2010-01-16, 06:48 AM
I'm actually talking about the line where a character trait can be rolled as "likes them very, very, very young". Although I've heard that was edited out in the second english printing.

-Thayus