PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Favourite part of Forgotten Realms?

Forevernade
2010-01-15, 12:16 PM
I am thinking of hosting a Forgotten Realms campaign, because a lot of my friends have not played it yet! It is all homebrew, or alternate systems for them... :smallfrown:

So what modules or city/forest/area settings do you suggest?

Which ones have you personally played?

I want something with guilds, churches and lots of magic :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-01-15, 12:18 PM
Well, the big "duuuuuuh" is Waterdeep, City of Splendors and all that jazz.

I personally like Athkatla, in Amn, but that's just me. Thay is interesting as well. The module, Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave was actually pretty fun to play through too.

Note that I'm kinda assuming you're talking about 3.5, since if you're talking 4e, I can't help you much.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-15, 12:23 PM
I'm fond of Lantaan and Gond, but that's couse I'm into steampunk and that is as close as D&D will ever get (hush yo mouth bout Eberron. Thats all magic, not steam)

J.Gellert
2010-01-15, 12:24 PM
Assuming 3,5 here as well, my favorite part would be the Sword Coast, excepting Waterdeep.

Baldur's Gate (the game!), Amn (Castle Spulzeer!) and Icewind Dale (the other game!).

Really, not surprising, considering most of what I know about FR "officially" is exactly those regions. Anything I've seen unofficial comes from crappy DMs (yes, FR seems common among crappy DMs, if only because so many default to it) so I just didn't love it so much.

As for the Underdark, most of that comes from War of the Spider Queen and the Dark Elf Trilogy, which was fun, but really too overpowering for me.

(Baldur's Gate I say! Bring me gnolls and diseased gibberlings!)

PS. Amn has many guilds and churches, and magic. Most of FR does, but Amn in particular... even more so.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-15, 12:30 PM
That guy who keeps sleeping with goddesses.

Longcat
2010-01-15, 12:35 PM
That guy who keeps sleeping with goddesses.

+1

I was going to answer "Thesk" to the OP, but this wins! :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2010-01-15, 12:40 PM
That it's not Dragonlance.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-15, 12:42 PM
The Sword Coast is a nice default Adventureland, and the Underdark is like a campaign setting in and of itself. But if you feel like something unusual, Rashemen and the rest of the east is great. Damara/Vaasa for GRIMDARK "Run away from the wraiths and scavenge for food" gameplay that's a break from the normal high power level can be fun.

Morty
2010-01-15, 12:44 PM
If you want guilds, churches and magic, Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate or another big city all seem like a way to go. Sembia is the place for political intrigue. My very long FR campaign had us start in Saradush in Tethyr, travel to Amn via a ship and then travel on foot to Western Heartlands. When the campaign stopped we were on our way to Sembia. If I were to really point my finger on my favorite place in Faerun, I'd say the North.

Grommen
2010-01-15, 12:54 PM
I would have to say The Sword Coast as well.

Our last campaign was on the Moonsea, we had a lot of fun dealing with the cities because they are not nice places. Almost all of the cities are rather evil. If they are not , then they are very hard minded people looking out for #1 and that is not the good of the people.

Over the years I've gotten a lot of fun from the Dale lands (no modules that come to mind though), and Corymer (again all home made stuff though).

We did the Bloodstone Lands (North East of the Moonsea and the Dales). They were very high level adventures written in 1st and 2nd edition.

Don't forget to pick a specific time. A lot has changed across Faeurn depending on when you place the campaign. What you think you know about a region might not be what is true anymore.

peacenlove
2010-01-15, 01:33 PM
Empire of Shade for high level campaigns (especially at the time it was banished to the paraelemental plane of shadow). :smallsmile:
Cormyr for good parties. :smallsigh:
Also many of our campaigns took place in Rashemen. Even if you are completely out of ideas (not easy since the witches are an anti demon anti shadow weave organization) there are always some foolish thayan wizards with their aberrant horde waiting to be crushed under barbaric rage :smallamused:

kkortekaas
2010-01-15, 02:05 PM
I was always a fan of the Moonshea isles, as well as Ring of Winter era Chult.

The area around Phlan was good times too.

The original Time of Troubles Adventures where fun too, as was Curse of the Azure Bonds (I'm takling about the tabletop adventures not the PC gold boxes, although those were great too)

arguskos
2010-01-15, 03:04 PM
Oh yeah, Chult and the Shaar are fun for less common adventuring styles (dense jungle and open-steppes, respectively).

Faerun's really got a slice of everything for ya, if you but look a little.

deuxhero
2010-01-15, 03:19 PM
Not sure what my favorite part is, but my least is the generic as it can get Sword Coast.

Optimystik
2010-01-15, 03:26 PM
Mulhorand is my all-time favorite, as I'm a bit of an Egyptophile. :smallbiggrin: Consequently, I enjoy Thay and Rashemen by extension. Also Kara-Tur, I love me some cool East-meets-West action.

I'd say about 90% of my FR characters (this includes NWN) were either Mulhorandi or Kara-Turan.