PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Genasi are back! (Again...)

Cedrass
2010-01-15, 02:20 PM
Well I could not revive my old thread, and since I worked a bit on my Genasi, I wanted to post them here again, because you guys are awesome critics and I need them to get evaluated :smallbiggrin:.

So here I go!

FIRE GENASI

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom: Fire Genasi are quick and know how to get out of sticky situations, but they tend to lose their temper when things aren't going the way they want them to be.
Medium: Fire Genasi are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Outsider (Native): Fire Genasi are native to the Material Plane and need to sleep, breathe and drink like other creatures. They can be raised, resurected and reincarnated as normal.
Normal Speed: Fire Genasi have a base speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Fire Genasi can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Fire Blood: Fire Genasi gain a +1 bonus on their saves against spell and spell-like abilities with the [fire] descriptor. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 Hit Die the Fire Genasi possess, to a maximum of +5 at level 20.
Fire Magic: Fire Genasi can cast the spell Light as a spell-like ability usable at will. They also get to choose one first level spell from the following list: Blades of Fire*, Burning Hand, Endure Element. Once that choice is made, it can never be changed. The Fire Genasi can cast this spell 1/day as a spell-like ability. The caster level for both of those spell-like abilities is equal to the Genasi total Hit Die.
SpaceAt 7th level, the 1st level spell is usable 2/day, and at level 13th it is usable at will.
Elemental Resistance: Fire Genasi have fire resistance 10.

EARTH GENASI

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity: Earth Genasi are a solid and strong race, but they are slower and less dexterous than others.
Medium: Earth Genasi are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Outsider (Native): Earth Genasi are native to the Material Plane and need to sleep, breathe and drink like other creatures. They can be raised, resurected and reincarnated as normal.
Slow and Steady: Earth Genasi have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
Darkvision: Earth Genasi can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Stability: Earth Genasi receive a +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
Stonecunning: Earth Genasi receive a +2 bonus on Perception checks to potentially notice unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking.
Body of Diamond: Earth Genasi gain a +1 bonus on their saves against spell and spell-like abilities with the [acid] descriptor. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 Hit Die the Earth Genasi possess, to a maximum of +5 at level 20.
Earth Magic: Earth Genasi can cast the spell Resitance as a spell-like ability usable at will. They also get to choose one first level spell from the following list: Corrosive Grasp*, Fist of Stone*, Foundation of Stone*. Once that choice is made, it can never be changed. The Earth Genasi can cast this spell 1/day as a spell-like ability. The caster level for both of those spell-like abilities is equal to the Genasi total Hit Die.
SpaceAt 7th level, the 1st level spell is usable 2/day, and at level 13th it is usable at will.
Elemental Resistance: Earth Genasi have acid resistance 5.

AIR GENASI

+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution: Air Genasi are a fast bunch, and rarely make hasty decisions, but they are also a frail race due to their tall and light bodies.
Medium: Air Genasi are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Outsider (Native): Air Genasi are native to the Material Plane and need to sleep and drink like other creatures. They can be raised, resurected and reincarnated as normal.
Normal Speed: Air Genasi have a base speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Air Genasi can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Breathless: Air Genasi do not breathe, hence they are unaffected by any spell or effect which requires breathing to affect it. Although they do not breathe, like all living land creatures they need access to ambient air, or face the effects of suffocation.
As Lightning: Air Genasi gain a +1 bonus on their saves against spell and spell-like abilities with the [electricity] descriptor. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 Hit Die the Air Genasi possess, to a maximum of +5 at level 20.
Air Magic: Air Genasi can cast the spell Ghost Sound as a spell-like ability usable at will. They also get to choose one first level spell from the following list: Deep Breath*, Updraft*, Feather Fall. Once that choice is made, it can never be changed. The Air Genasi can cast this spell 1/day as a spell-like ability. The caster level for both of those spell-like abilities is equal to the Genasi total Hit Die.
Elemental Resistance: Air Genasi have electricity resistance 5.

WATER GENASI

+2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength: Water Genasi have a good metabolism and have a great strategic mind, they are however burdened with a weaker muscle structure than most other races.
Medium: Water Genasi are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Outsider (Native): Water Genasi are native to the Material Plane and need to sleep, breathe and drink like other creatures. They can be raised, resurected and reincarnated as normal.
Normal Speed: Water Genasi have a base speed of 30 feet.
Like a Fish in a Pond : Water Genasi have a base swim speed of 30 feet. They can also breathe underwater.
Darkvision: Water Genasi can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
The Sea is a Cold Place: Water Genasi gain a +1 bonus on their saves against spell and spell-like abilities with the [cold] descriptor. This bonus increases by +1 for every 5 Hit Die the Water Genasi possess, to a maximum of +5 at level 20.
Water Magic: Earth Genasi can cast the spell Create Water as a spell-like ability usable at will. They also get to choose one first level spell from the following list: Obscuring Mist, Cure Light Wounds, Ice Gauntlet*. Once that choice is made, it can never be changed. The Water Genasi can cast this spell 1/day as a spell-like ability. The caster level for both of those spell-like abilities is equal to the Genasi total Hit Die.
Elemental Resistance: Water Genasi have cold resistance 5.

*: Spell from the Spell Compendium.

Now I'm not sure about a few things, but I'll keep my mouth shut as to not influence your opinions. Critic away Playgrounders :smallsmile:!

Milskidasith
2010-01-15, 03:04 PM
Water Genasi are probably the most powerful race because of stat adjustments, though Earth Genasi are pretty good as well for melee types.

Air Genasi shouldn't have the limit on ambient air; you don't force the earth genasi to touch the ground, the fire genasi to be on fire (but since they already have a charisma penalty and take no damage from mundane fire, it's not really a bad idea in social situations), or water genasi to be wet all the time, so why not let the air genasi swim and burrow? It also limits their adventuring options a lot.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-01-15, 03:27 PM
Air Genasi shouldn't have the limit on ambient air; you don't force the earth genasi to touch the ground, the fire genasi to be on fire (but since they already have a charisma penalty and take no damage from mundane fire, it's not really a bad idea in social situations), or water genasi to be wet all the time, so why not let the air genasi swim and burrow? It also limits their adventuring options a lot.
but that would make them effectively immune to drowning or suffocating
Water Breathing is a 3rd level spell, pretty powerful to have that going permanently

@ Cedrass:
why no level adjustment?

deuxhero
2010-01-15, 03:31 PM
and your point being? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/createFoodAndWater.htm). Plus, it's one of those cost via magic!=cost via mundane things (and the DMG has a 7000 gold item that gives water breathing).

Milskidasith
2010-01-15, 03:47 PM
but that would make them effectively immune to drowning or suffocating
Water Breathing is a 3rd level spell, pretty powerful to have that going permanently

@ Cedrass:
why no level adjustment?

They're already immune to drowning or suffocating... they just die instantly if submersed in water. They're still immune to Drown (a seventh level spell), and all the cloud spells, and that's a bigger problem than having a wider pool of options to adventure in.

Cedrass
2010-01-15, 03:52 PM
No level adjustment because they are made to be played in a Pathfinder game in which races are stronger. I also wanted them to be playable at 1st level.

As for the Air Genasi, as been said, I put a limit so that they were not immortal. I also know being Breathless is pretty strong, and is one of the things I was worried about. I also thought I could give them a Feather Fall effect a number of times per day, maybe that would be better?

Jane_Smith
2010-01-15, 04:17 PM
Make their energy resistance 5 + 1/2 hit dice, rounded down. Makes it scale much nicer when it caps at 15 by 20th level. -shrug- Its what I did with my homebrewed genasi, anyway.

deuxhero
2010-01-15, 04:20 PM
Outsider (Native): Air Genasi are native to the Material Plane and need to sleep, breathe and drink like other creatures. They can be raised, resurected and reincarnated as normal.
Breathless: Air Genasi do not breathe, hence they are unaffected by any spell or effect which requires breathing to affect it. An Air Genasi cannot survive in environments where it is not in contact with the ambient air (in water or burrowed for example).

see bold

And is the effect of a lack of ambient air (per drowning?)

Ashtagon
2010-01-15, 04:22 PM
Instant death for air genasi when they leave ambient air seems a bit harsh. How about this...

Breathless: Air Genasi do not breathe, hence they are unaffected by any spell or effect which requires breathing to affect it.

Although air genasi do not breathe, they rapidly weaken if they are not in an ambient air environment (severe sandstorms, and even clouds of smoke or poison gas are fine, but not underwater, burrowing through earth or sand, or in a vacuum). Without contact with ambient air, they lose 1d6 hit points every ten minutes, and lose all racial abilities except size, movement rate, and native outsider status.

I chose the damage loosely based on the environmental rules in Sandstorm for various types of heat damage.

Although tbh, it seems a bit unfair that air genasi should be the only race with a specific vulnerability to something.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-01-15, 04:22 PM
No level adjustment because they are made to be played in a Pathfinder game in which races are stronger. I also wanted them to be playable at 1st level.
I have only read the beta. From memory the races didn't seem quite that strong, but that's my memory I'm talking about here :smallwink:

They're already immune to drowning or suffocatingthey are in the Forgotten Realms setting, not according to this adjustment.
Instead of making it sound like instant death when cut from the air, they should be entitled the CON check everyone else gets for holding their breath.
ah, ninja'd

I also thought I could give them a Feather Fall effect a number of times per day, maybe that would be better?
maybe replace ghost sound at will with a nerfed Feather Fall -> range: you

Milskidasith
2010-01-15, 04:30 PM
they are in the Forgotten Realms setting, not according to this adjustment.
Instead of making it sound like instant death when cut from the air, they should be entitled the CON check everyone else gets for holding their breath.
ah, ninja'd

The don't breathe at all. They are going to be immune to the spells.

Here's an idea: Just give them feather fall and the ability to levitate 5 feet off the ground. Much more useful, much less "I die when wet."

Cedrass
2010-01-15, 04:31 PM
ah, ninja'd

maybe replace ghost sound at will with a nerfed Feather Fall -> range: you

I did plan for them to be able to "hold" their breath. I guess I was not clear. My fault. If they can "hold" their breath, would it be better?

Good idea on the Feather Fall.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-01-15, 04:40 PM
I did plan for them to be able to "hold" their breath. I guess I was not clear. My fault. If they can "hold" their breath, would it be better?

see @Ashtagon's wording above

or in short:

Although they do not breathe, like all living land creatures they need access to ambient air, or face the effects of suffocation.

Cedrass
2010-01-15, 08:27 PM
Ok, so I added the extra line, saying Air Genasi only suffocate when they lack an environment. (Thank you Hammerthief)

Make their energy resistance 5 + 1/2 hit dice, rounded down. Makes it scale much nicer when it caps at 15 by 20th level. -shrug- Its what I did with my homebrewed genasi, anyway.

This I am wondering if it would not bump them to a LA+1 race. With the other abilities they have, I'm thinking it might be too good. Would it be?

Latronis
2010-01-15, 10:11 PM
nah scaling energy resistance is fine. It's the same amount as the current version in the beginning and later on it may actually contribute slightly to your surivival.

Jane_Smith
2010-01-15, 11:41 PM
Indeed, as long as you also give tieflings/aasimars/zethyr/chaond's the energy gain to. >.> If your going to do planetouched, dont forget them, to!

Cedrass
2010-01-16, 03:05 PM
Indeed, as long as you also give tieflings/aasimars/zethyr/chaond's the energy gain to. >.> If your going to do planetouched, dont forget them, to!

I'm really not sure, I mean, they are already strong (or I'd like to think so) and if I do that, I think it'll warrant a LA+1. Here's the Core Races to give you an idea of the overall power level of races in Pathfinder, and also the Planetouched:

Core (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/races.html)
Aasimar (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/aasimar.html#aasimar)
Tiefling (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/tiefling.html#tiefling)

Latronis
2010-01-16, 08:32 PM
yeah i think scaling resistance for 3 energy types is a bit much(with everything else).

Besides unlike the pretty boys and emos. Genasi are descended from elemental planes it makes more sense that their one resistance improves as they gain power.