PDA

View Full Version : [any] lich/doppleganger/druid

zoobob9
2010-01-15, 05:53 PM
just wondering about this thing that popped into my head:

if a doppleganger was a lich, would he be able to change his apperance to look like a normal person?

if a doppleganger was a druid, then would he be able to change shape between different animals while in beast form?

if a lich was a druid, then would he be able to change into beast form, and if so would he look normal or skeletal?

thanks for responss.

Lysander
2010-01-15, 06:05 PM
1. Yes.
2. No, to humanoid shapes and back to the one animal shape.
3. Normal.

Duos Greanleef
2010-01-15, 06:10 PM
1. Yes, Doppelgangers are cool like that.
2. I would let him. (see 1)
3. I would think that that would be up to the Lich on a case by case matter. Personally, I'd be skeletal.

But that begs: Why would someone who sought after eternal life through arcane undeath be dabbling in the druidic practices?

Or even worse... what if the opposite were true?

Fortuna
2010-01-15, 06:11 PM
When I clicked on this I was expecting a combination of all three. Now that would be freaky.

Jack_Simth
2010-01-15, 06:13 PM
1. Yes, Doppelgangers are cool like that.
2. I would let him. (see 1)
3. I would think that that would be up to the Lich on a case by case matter. Personally, I'd be skeletal.

But that begs: Why would someone who sought after eternal life through arcane undeath be dabbling in the druidic practices?

Or even worse... what if the opposite were true?
In D&D 3.5, a Lichhood is not a strictly arcane phenomena. A NE Druid-12 with Craft Wondrous Item, in 3.5, can become a lich for the cost of the XP and GP.

zoobob9
2010-01-15, 06:17 PM
When I clicked on this I was expecting a combination of all three. Now that would be freaky.

theoretically, that could happen, and it would be cool. it would give a TON of tactical advantages for hunting PCs, and that means they always have to be on gaurd. How would you tell the difference between a lich in skeletal steed form from a skeletal steed? Or a normal looking dog in the middle of a village form a bloodthirsty killer? as long as the PCs have some contact to civilazation/wildlife, they are never safe.

Drakevarg
2010-01-15, 06:21 PM
Undead are normally incapable of Wild Shape. (Wild Shape is basically a modified polymorph, which only works on living creatures.) However, the Corrupted Wild Shape feat from Libris Mortis allows you to use Wild Shape, but your animal forms are now all undead.

deuxhero
2010-01-15, 06:47 PM
And Lichs are explicitly allowed to.

Lysander
2010-01-15, 07:29 PM
Yeah, Lich's can polymorph (and thus presumably wild shape) themselves. They're only immune to other people's polymorphs. It doesn't say they become a skeletal version of whatever they turn into.

Doppelgangers shouldn't lose the shapechanger ability when wild shaping. However doppelgangers can only take humanoid shapes with their power. So not animal to animal shapeshifting. A doppelganger druid is actually pretty powerful...they can keep a wild shape on all day, but still take human form whenever convenient.

HCL
2010-01-15, 07:33 PM
There is also the Blighter PrC which gets undead polymorph.

deuxhero
2010-01-15, 07:37 PM
And sucks?

Kaihaku
2010-01-15, 07:44 PM
Um, wouldn't A Thousand Faces and Timeless body keep a Druid Lich looking living?

HCL
2010-01-15, 07:47 PM
And sucks?

It might be alright for an npc within the level 10-14 range if you cheese the prereqs (like taking just one druid level with primitive spellcaster, and taking 4 levels of a class whose features you wont lose when you go blighter, say swordsage)

Just throwin it out there

Jack_Simth
2010-01-15, 08:37 PM
Undead are normally incapable of Wild Shape. (Wild Shape is basically a modified polymorph, which only works on living creatures.) However, the Corrupted Wild Shape feat from Libris Mortis allows you to use Wild Shape, but your animal forms are now all undead.

Check the errata; even if a lich wasn't expressly allowed to use polymorph effects on itself, it'd still work: Wild Shape is no longer based on Polymorph.