PDA

View Full Version : rogue/fighter

Acero
2010-01-15, 06:30 PM
I'm trying to make one.

I want it to be able to fulfill the purpose of rouge, but be i still need to fight up in melee

i'm thinking something along the lines of 4/16 rouge/fighter

Human

Is there a way to make this without messing both of these classes?

Gnaeus
2010-01-15, 06:33 PM
The purpose of rouge is to color the cheeks and emphasize the cheekbones. I don't see how that is necessarily incompatible with being a fighter.

Duos Greanleef
2010-01-15, 06:35 PM
The purpose of rouge is to color the cheeks and emphasize the cheekbones. I don't see how that is necessarily incompatible with being a fighter.

I curse your quickness and wit!:smalltongue:

Crow
2010-01-15, 06:35 PM
Try the Warrior generic class from Unearthed Arcana.

You can build him for sneak attacking, and have enough class skills to pick up move silently/hide, disable device, open lock, and search with a good intelligence score.

Acero
2010-01-15, 06:41 PM
it's all core

Draz74
2010-01-15, 06:42 PM
I'm trying to make one.
I want it to be able to fulfill the purpose of rouge, but be i still need to fight up in melee
i'm thinking something along the lines of 4/16 rouge/fighterHuman
Is there a way to make this without messing both of these classes?

Sure, in a non-optimized, Core-only game, a Rogue with a Fighter dip is totally sensible. I played one last year.

You will, however, need better ability scores than some other characters. (You really need to have a very good Constitution. That's one of the reasons I went with a Dwarf instead of a Human. Intelligence is nice, Strength is crucial, Dexterity is crucial, and your will save is going to be very dangerous if you dump Wisdom.)

If you do this, I recommend a light (spiked) shield, Improved Shield Bash, and the Two-Weapon Fighting line of feats. Two-Weapon Fighting makes Sneak Attack much more worthwhile, and using a shield rather than just two weapons makes you a little more durable and makes the Fighter dip feel a little more meaningful.

EDIT:

it's all core
Strictly Core, or is free online material fair game too? Because the Generic Warrior mentioned is OGL (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm). I don't really recommend it, though, just because Generic Classes and regular classes weren't meant to be mixed in the same campaign.

Also, for future reference, you should definitely start off by saying "Core Only" on this Forum. Otherwise people are very quick to assume other material is available when they give you advice.

Soranar
2010-01-15, 06:53 PM
just use the multiclassing feats (they're core as far as I know)

play a human, take able learner level 1 and start with a rogue level (access to all rogue skills and able learner makes you able to keep skilling yourself)

you need 3 levels of rogue for Daring Outlaw and then you can just keep using swashbuckler levels to pump your BAB and your sneak attack

so you'd be rogue 3/swashbuckler 17 , swashbuckler gives you less skills (only 4x) but with enough intel it shouldn't matter so much

if you want more feats , you can sacrifice 4 levels to take fighter levels and add Daring Warrior (makes your fighter and swashbuckler levels stack for fighter only feats)

so Rogue 3, Fighter 4, Swashbuckler 13

in both scenario you get more Hit points and nearly as much sneak attack and you keep your capacity to disarm traps/open locks and backstab people

I recommend the rogue/swashbuckler combo for TWF (you add your INT to damage when you use finess weapons and you get weapon finesse for free)

with non-core access you get a lot of options though, especially if you want to reduce your MAD

something like this

rogue 3/swordsage 2/swashbuckler 15

you don't lose sneak attack damage with the assassin stance (just use the appropriate weapons) and you gain your wisdom to AC in light armor + access to stances and maneuvers

also makes you able to qualify for the shadow blade feat (add DEX to damage with the right weapons)

Harperfan7
2010-01-15, 07:26 PM
Why a fighter exactly? The benefits of being a fighter are big heavy weapons, tower shields, and heavy armor. You don't want that. Go with Ranger, they're much more synergetic.

Acero
2010-01-15, 07:54 PM
Why a fighter exactly? The benefits of being a fighter are big heavy weapons, tower shields, and heavy armor. You don't want that. Go with Ranger, they're much more synergetic.

okay. how should i do that?

btw: starting @ level 4

Harperfan7
2010-01-15, 08:08 PM
okay. how should i do that?

btw: starting @ level 4

Rogue 3/Ranger 1 or Rogue 2/Ranger 2
Depends on whether you want that +1d6 sneak attack or twf/rapid shot.

Eventually, you'll want something in the range of...
Rogue 1/Ranger 1/Rogue 18
to
Rogue 1/Ranger 6/Rogue 13

You'll have everything a rogue will have, + martial weapons and feats that rogues like.
Your sneak attack, trap/lock skills, and uncanny dodge level will suffer a bit, but you'll have slightly better hp/bab/fort saves and the ability to track (although, you could lay off taking ranks in survival and get a riding dog companion at ranger 4, then let it track). You can use wands/scrolls from the ranger list with virtually no problem.

Skaven
2010-01-15, 08:31 PM
Rogue/Fighter is one of the oldest and most well known multiclass combo's known, and in the part used to be called a rogue (when rogue was thief, a thief/fighter was known as a rogue.) These days its dubbed the 'adventurer' by some.

Its really hard to screw up, but its wise to pay attention to your base attack bonus. Aim for your full attacks every round and you'll be fine. Don't skimp too much on the fighter levels, those feats can come in pretty handy and all you need is a +16, which is easy enough to get, I would recommend:

Human
13 Rogue / 7 fighter (Might even want to go 13 rogue, 6 fighter 1 Barbarian or Ranger, since 7 and 14 are dead levels for both fighter and rogue, ability wise. Ranger will get you track and complimentary skills, barbarian will get you fast movement), ending attack bonus will be +16 for 4 attack's a round.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-15, 08:51 PM
If the material from the SRD is okay, there are actually two fighter variants that can be combined to make a very roguish fighter that will blend very nicely with a small rogue dip.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter

If it's core by-the-book only, just make sure you've got an even number of fighter levels, and decide which is more important, BAB or Sneak Attack/Skill use.

JonestheSpy
2010-01-15, 09:13 PM
I'm very fond of the fighter/ranger/rogue, something like 4/5/11 if you're doing the typical 20 level breakdown. The cool bennies of rangerdom start decreasing seriously after 5 (if you're not into ranger spellcasting, that is), and Weapon Specialization is nice to combine with multiple sneak attacks.

Definitely the old-school adventurer archetype.