PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Rock & Roll

CommodoreFluffy
2010-01-15, 06:39 PM
I think it's under appreciated.
I'm talking fifties, sixties and seventies(and whatever carries the same feeling), but to be honest, I don't really listen to fifties. Steppenwolf, Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bob Seger, That kind'a stuff. Just talk or rant.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-15, 07:00 PM
I keep a close watch on this heart of mine, I keep my eyes wide open all the time, I keep the ends out for the tie that binds, because you're mine. I walk the line.

Tirian
2010-01-15, 07:12 PM
Cute little dropout, how come you pack a rod
Is your mother in a clinic, has your father got no job
Sometimes you're so impulsive, you shaved off all your hair
You look like Boris Karloff, and you don't even care

Shraik
2010-01-15, 08:17 PM
Diehard wholigan right here. and I mean Extreme Diehard. Kinda funny considering my age.
Huge Hendrix fan.
Huge Zep fan.

Tho personally, I think Pete Townshend is one of the greatest songwriters to ever walk the earth, and I will defend that statement with my lifeand an axe

Deth Muncher
2010-01-15, 08:19 PM
I get to see Eric Clapton and Roger Daltry (sp?) in March! :D

Sneak
2010-01-15, 09:00 PM
The Allman Brothers, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Clash, Cream, Elvis Costello, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, The Grateful Dead, Iggy Pop, Jefferson Airplane, Jimi Hendrix, Nick Drake, Santana, Simon & Garfunkel, Talking Heads, The Velvet Underground, The Who.

Some of those go into the 80's (and beyond!) as well, and some kind of stretch the definition of "rock," but eh, good enough.

I don't understand why you think it's unappreciated, though. It seems pretty damn appreciated to me.

JonestheSpy
2010-01-15, 09:30 PM
I think it's under appreciated.
I'm talking fifties, sixties and seventies(and whatever carries the same feeling), but to be honest, I don't really listen to fifties. Steppenwolf, Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bob Seger, That kind'a stuff. Just talk or rant.

Underappreciated? Maybe by folks under 25, but there's huge swaths of the population that don't listen to anything but Olde Tyme Rock, let alone the folks who enjoy it as well as more modern music.

TSGames
2010-01-16, 12:10 AM
I guess I'll be the first to give a shout-out to The Box Tops, Blood, Sweat, and Tears, Pink Floyd, and The Hollies.

So much kick-ass Rock. Zeppelin >>> any other band

Flarp
2010-01-16, 12:56 AM
Obligatory Surfin' Bird mention.

CommodoreFluffy
2010-01-16, 01:04 AM
Dire Straits
Mark Knopfler

I saw Sultans of Swing preformed live
(it's a bit eighties, but it keeps with the truth found in most 60's rock, it's not punk, or metal, or pop, it's rock)

factotum
2010-01-16, 05:07 AM
Bruce Springsteen underappreciated? By who, exactly? He's one of the most successful recording artists ever, AFAIK.

Jinura
2010-01-16, 06:02 AM
Ahh classic rock, never have I missed a time where I wasn't even alive like I have with this.

I mainly listen to 60s and 70s rock as a matter of fact.

I'm a HUGE Queen fan.
I love the Beatles
Listen to a lot of Zeppelin
David Bowie's stuff from 69' on and most of the seventies are some of the best written music.
Boston rocks
The Who is awesome.
Elvis is Pretty good to ( not a huge fan, but I like a lot of his music. )
I love The Lamb Lies down on Broadway by Genesis.
Pink Floyd knew how to do music.

And I'm probably forgetting someone. ( I knew the lines weren't that creative :/ )

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-01-16, 06:17 AM
Classic rock never gets old. But it is underappreciated this side of the pond in my opinion. I would gladly burn all the rap and r 'n' b in the world for a single successful classic rock band right here in 2010 (I mean a new band, obviously some of the classics are still around).

Jinura
2010-01-16, 05:44 PM
Well since classic rock is "classic" wouldn't a new band just be another rock band?

CommodoreFluffy
2010-01-16, 06:10 PM
Well, I think we all know he means a band with a good classic rock sound.

Tirian
2010-01-16, 07:27 PM
Bruce Springsteen underappreciated? By who, exactly? He's one of the most successful recording artists ever, AFAIK.

But are you certain he's appreciated enough to avoid underappreciation? I mean, why is there a state named after Joe Montana but not one named after Bruce Springsteen?

Klose_the_Sith
2010-01-16, 11:46 PM
But are you certain he's appreciated enough to avoid underappreciation? I mean, why is there a state named after Joe Montana but not one named after Bruce Springsteen?

Not being king of the mountain should not be viewed as something to diminish ones own baron hood.

Sneak
2010-01-17, 12:01 AM
Not being king of the mountain should not be viewed as something to diminish ones own baron hood.

...you do know that he was joking, right?

Klose_the_Sith
2010-01-17, 12:24 AM
...you do know that he was joking, right?

After all, my sentence was the most serious thing anyones ever written :smallsigh:

skywalker
2010-01-17, 01:03 AM
Well, I think we all know he means a band with a good classic rock sound.

Yeah, but people don't have any incentive to make that music before. Jet were a nice, classic sounding band, but they were dismissed as derivative and gimmicky (the gimmick being they were "throwback"). The real spiritual successors of the guys who were on the bleeding edge back then don't sound anything like them these days.

Except maybe, like, Derek Trucks or somebody similar. He is innovating while still staying recognizably on the Southern Rock trope. But then, Southern Rock, despite being the original rock and the fountainhead, doesn't sound particularly "classic" a lot of the time.

mr_pathetic
2010-01-17, 05:23 PM
I do love oldies music...heck even way back to the 30s depending on who the group is. I grew up listening to a lot of 50s music from Buddy Holly to Little Richard (Went to a concert last February honory holly, big bopper and valens). Sure I've got those that I can't much stand, but older music for me seems better overall than much of what we have today (Save a few artists along the lines of Ozzy Osbourne, an oldie himself now, and Green Day).

Manicotti
2010-01-17, 09:39 PM
I agree, today's music ain't got the same soul.

Cyrion
2010-01-17, 10:46 PM
A big Tull fan here. Most of my car radio presets are classic rock.

My problem with most popular music today including most "alternative" is that so little of it has a distinct sound to my ears. I think that's a product of more bands being "manufactured" to take advantage of a particular popular sound. I compare that to Tull, Queen, Boston, Journey, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, etc who are distinctive from almost the first notes.

Mathis
2010-01-18, 06:02 AM
Im seeing Mark Knopfler do some of his new stuff this upcoming summer, incredibly excited about it

On another note, I feel that since modern music as we listen to it (and by that I mean rock & roll, I doubt we'll find someone who doesnt like that genre in this thread) haven't really been around for that long, it will only be remembered as a small passing part of musical history in the future. The classic rock that we are talking about have only existed for about a lifetime, one single lifetime. Just take a step back and look at all the development that has taken place in the scene of music the past 100 years, it's kind of breathtaking. To me anyway.

My point is, before I start ranting, that I think we expect too much. We have too high hopes about what sort of music we want to hear come out. I'm dead excited about seeing what sort of music will be played when Im 80 years old, will it even resemble what I listen to today?

Headless_Ninja
2010-01-23, 02:37 PM
I would gladly burn all the rap and r 'n' b in the world for a single successful classic rock band right here in 2010
The Hold Steady, one of my favourite bands, have quite a good 'modern but classic' rock vibe.
Have a listen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjDI1oouS8w&feature=related) and see (http://www.myspace.com/theholdsteady) if they're your cup of tea!

Makensha
2010-01-23, 03:00 PM
Are we talking about Rock and Roll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll), or Classic Rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_rock)? As Don McLean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uEjifqTaI) pointed out, there's a big difference.

Headless_Ninja
2010-01-29, 07:42 AM
I think we're talking about both by this point...