PDA

View Full Version : The Toxicant (rough draft)

randomhero00
2010-01-15, 07:17 PM
My homebrew class. Flavored after toxin/assassin type class. I felt I needed to make one since poisons are rather gimp in DnD.

It's long, so here's the main balancing points. Bane, his setup to rupture, his big attack, doubles as a debuff when its not being used as a boom device. But you can only have one or the other, in other words utility or damage. So a common fight might look like:

Round 1 attack, if hit, applies bane (which applies a debuff), round 2, can now use Rupture boom, sneak attack damage, but now no debuff, round 3 can now reapply Bane and a debuff again (but not re rupture), round 4 can now rupture again, boom, etc.

So its basically 1/2 overall sneak attack damage from an optimized rogue (using hide in plain sight or whatever that feat is called to use a move action to sneak attack every round) against those that are vulnerable to sneak attacks, but the advantage is that it works vs undead and the like so overall about equal damage as an optimized rogue (in theory...) getting sneak attacks off every round assuming half their encounters are vs sneak attackable opponents or better.

Slightly better hit dice than a rogue, but no trap disarming, and worse skill points but utility half the time through Bane effects. Same armor and BAB progression as rogue.

Bane requires a successful hit. And there's a save if you keep the debuff on. Also, Bane/rupture is the only unnatural damage type that can hit anything, his other skills like coat weapon or corrosive vapor is normal acid damage.

He mostly seems balanced, its the Bane effects that I'm least certain about. Since they're only available half the time (since you'd want to be rupturing for damage) I wanted to make them useful enough to be noticable. I wanted him to end somewhere between rogue and wizard in power. He's less of a skill monkey, and *is* meant to be more powerful than the rogue in combat.

The Toxicant:

Toxicant
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The toxicant’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Craft (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (5 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 5 + Int modifier.

Table: The Toxicant
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will

Save Special
1st +0 +1 +1 +0 Bane, Rupture +1d6
2nd +1 +2 +1 +0 Evasion
3rd +2 +2 +2 +0 Rupture +2d6
4th +3 +3 +2 +1 Uncanny dodge, Coat weapon 1/day
5th +3 +3 +3 +1 Rupture +3d6
6th +4 +4 +3 +1 Damage resistance acid, immunity poison
7th +5 +4 +4 +1 Rupture +4d6
8th +6/+1 +4 +4 +2 Coat weapon 2/day
9th +6/+1 +5 +4 +2 Rupture +5d6
10th +7/+2 +5 +5 +2 Corrosive Vapor 2/day
11th +8/+3 +6 +5 +2 Rupture +6d6
12th +9/+4 +6 +6 +2 Exploit weakness +10
13th +9/+4 +6 +6 +3 Rupture +7d6
14th +10/+5 +7 +6 +3 Coat weapon 3/day
15th +11/+6/+1 +7 +7 +3 Rupture +8d6
16th +12/+7/+2 +7 +7 +4 Coat weapon 4/day
17th +12/+7/+2 +8 +7 +4 Rupture +9d6, Corrosive Vapor 4/day
18th +13/+8/+3 +8 +8 +4 Coat weapon 6/day, Exploit weakness +20
19th +14/+9/+4 +9 +8 +4 Rupture +10d6
20th +15/+10/ +5 +9 +9 +4 Contagious destruction

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Toxicants are proficient with light armor, but not shields, all simple weaponry and in addition the kukri, short sword, rapier, scimitar, hand crossbow, and all bows.

Bane(Su) the toxicant has delved so deeply into the toxic arts he has only has to succeed on a melee or ranged attack on any type creature to poison them, even creatures normally immune to poison or disease. Bane requires focus and can only be on one target at a time. If the toxicant hits multiple creatures he may choose only one that bane affects. If the toxicant breaks line of sight for more than three rounds, falls unconscious, or the target makes its save bane dissipates. The particular bane effect may be chosen from the poison list below. DC 10 + toxicants level + poison level vs fort. Special: The initial shock of bane is so great that there is no save for the first three rounds, but every round thereafter the creature may attempt a save.

Rupture(Su): (move action, requires line of sight) Bane must be applied first and have been in effect on the target for at least one round before rupture can be used. The toxicant empowers his supernatural poison in a sudden gust of power that rends the creature apart. Using the Rupture ability expunges the bane effect, and makes the creature immune to bane for the current round so it must be reapplied the following round to continue usage. Damage based on toxicant’s level. No save.

Exploit Weakness(Su): On the first attack of a new encounter apply bonus to hit once.

Damage Resistance to acid and immunity poison: Damage resistance grows; 10 at 6th level, 20 at 10th level, 30 at 14th level, and 40 damage resistance to acid at 18th level.

Corrosive Vapor(Su): swift action, for 3 rounds (+1 round per 2 class levels after 10th level) the toxicant exudes corrosive vapors wherever he goes leaving a trail of gas that does 6d6 acid damage per round. 8d6 at 15th level, and 10d6 at 20th. The gas persists behind the toxicant only, not in his current square, for the duration of the effect and fills the squares the toxicant moved through since he activated it. The gas is clearly visible and pungent and creatures may choose to avoid it.

Coat weapon(Su): standard action, lasts 8 hours. On hit weapon deals an extra 1d6 points of acid damage per 4 levels of toxicant (after 4th level.) Can also be applied to a quiver of arrows.

Contagious destruction(Su): If the target is under 100hp when rupture is used the target dies. Additionally, another creature within 30ft can be selected to automatically have the bane effect.

Bane effects:

Level 1
Dogsith: -6 con saves
Acalypha: -4 AC if charging or double move, -5 on bull rush attempts
Amaryllis: +1 damage taken when hit
Dosis: +5 on trip attempts vs creature

Level 2
Lobelia: +5 on grapple and disarm checks vs creature
Crocus: -2 AC
Diabelum: -2 to hit
Shacus: +4 to hit and +4 damage on attacks of opportunity vs creature

Level 3
Datura: weakened vs energy, take +10 damage vs all energy attacks
Dumbcane: arcane spell failure chance +25%
Delphinium: can always be seen, even through invisibility, +2 to hit vs creature
Locsire: difficult to keep footing, as if walking or climbing a greased area as spell
Gosrith: Slow, as spell

Level 4
Shashen: Creatures hardness and damage resistance -20
Foxglove: miss chance 20%
Aucuba: blind/deaf
Bjoil: -2 on hit, damage, and all saves

Level 5
Gogen: -5 on all saves
Laurfel: Unable to leave the ground, includes jumping or flying, if flying, they fall
Xasion: Causes target to lose its move action

Level 6
Hartshorn: Doing any action except standing still takes 4d6 points of damage
Feldane: Spells cast have a 30% chance to backfire (be cast back on caster if offensive, or fail if buff)
Gorlung: Ignore dex AC and natural armor bonuses

Toxicant level/highest poison available
1-3 >>> 1
4-6 >>> 2
7-9 >>> 3
10-13 >>> 4
14-17 >>> 5
18+ >>> 6

Thanks for reading.

Feel free to use content, just give credit.

>< argh, the formatting didn't go through, had to improvise on a lot of it, sorry. The table is coming through especially bad. At level 20 though his BAB is +15/+10/+5, and his saves are +9, +9, +4.

Feedback? I'd like him balanced for when I play him.

randomhero00
2010-01-15, 07:43 PM
Oop! Sorry, I just saw the forum for Homebrew. This subforum is in my favorites so I don't normally see the forum lists. Sorry. Should I repost...or mods move this post or...?