PDA

View Full Version : zombie express (based on commoner railgun)

taltamir
2010-01-15, 08:36 PM
It has been stated that the commoner railgun does not work... or rather, it works but it does not do anything.
because the RAW which allows traveling at an arbitrary speed, does not say that having done so confer any benefit. the object does not shoot off at warp speed to impact something, it merely reaches the end of the chain.

That doesn't mean it doesn't have other creative uses. Specifically, 6 second travel between any two arbitrary locations that can move massive amounts of people and goods.

You need:
1. Zombies, skeletons, or constructs... 2 of them per 5 foot of "track" you wish to make.
2. 1 non-dimensional space (ex: portable hole) per "cabin" for the journey.

Note:
Remember that in DnD world non sentient undead are under the command of their creator (or the last cleric to command them) and will follow the last order given to them after being freed. Constructs avoid the limit on controlled units, but are much more expensive to make...

Construction of a rail:
Make a lot of zombies, give each one specific orders to not move from a specific spot... to always ready an action to receive an item from whatever is to their right, and then pass it on to their left.

Avoiding raising costs:
Raise dead has a material component cost. This can be avoided (at low level even) using the metamagic feat "fell animate" from libris mortis page 26. It is a +3 LA that makes anyone who can normally be raised as a zombie who is killed with it to come back as a zombie in one turn
To avoid mass executions, use non sentient targets.

how it all comes together.
Make two rails going in opposite directions from/to each town.

people will enter a portable hole (or be shrunk and enter a bag of holding)... the hole can be furnished with seats and a permanent source of light.
when the last passenger has boarded, the hole is folded and handed to the first zombie/skeleton/construct... 6 seconds late the last skeleton receives it and hands it over to a human conductor... or alternatively, a zombie with very specific instructions.
the hole is unfolded and the passengers leave. The same portable hold can either be loaded for the return trip, or just handed to the "rail" going the opposite direction if they need more holes on that side.

This can also be used by armies and the like.

As a fail safe, ever zombie can be ordered to hand off whatever he receives to the left OR unfold the hold himself if there is noone to receive it. That way it does not get stuck in transit if a saboteur destroys one of the zombies (replacement zombies can be delivered using the track itself)

more complex orders include defending themselves, calling for help if attacked, or walking to "skip" broken or missing zombies if the item has a red ribbon (passenger/cargo) and opening it if it has a yellow ribbon (repair crew). so a missing zombie just means that the trip is extended by 6 seconds.

Duos Greanleef
2010-01-15, 08:55 PM
This is a wonderful concept.
I've never heard of the commoner railgun before, and I would never allow something like this in one of my games, but I still like the imagery.
I have a win for you sir.
*hands you a win*

taltamir
2010-01-15, 08:56 PM
Thank you kind sir, I love wins... *eats the win*... mmm, taste like general tsao's chicken :)

Duos Greanleef
2010-01-15, 09:00 PM
:eek:
You... you... you EAT wins?
That was solid sterner stuff, (See Transformers: The move; 1984) and you just ATE it?
Here, have another.
This is entertaining!
:smalltongue:

Otodetu
2010-01-15, 09:03 PM
I like it, it is all free and possible from level 3 and onwards too.

As when you reach level 3 you can use arcane thesis (acid splash) to cast feel animate acid splash spells on helpless commoners to animate them free of charge.

Jack_Simth
2010-01-15, 09:12 PM
and will follow the last order given to them after being freed
Question:
Where do you find this?

I like it, it is all free and possible from level 3 and onwards too.

As when you reach level 3 you can use arcane thesis (acid splash) to cast feel animate acid splash spells on helpless commoners to animate them free of charge.

You'll need quite a few castings, considering that while the commoner-1 only has 2 HP (1, if he's an elf), there's still that pesky "dying" state... or are you planning on bludgeoning them unconscious and using the spell for a Coup De Grace?

Otodetu
2010-01-15, 10:21 PM
Bludgeoning them unconscious and use the spell for a Coup De Grace?

As for time let us presume we have unlimited time but limited resources.
The example used the least possible amount of resources, a low level caster.
Apply more resources in the form of gold and xp and it will become more and more effective.

There is much discussion on how mindless undead behave after being released, i presume we are going by the "will perform last order until destruction" presumption.

golentan
2010-01-15, 11:12 PM
Way too smelly for anyone to consider using save in emergencies.

taltamir
2010-01-15, 11:22 PM
Way too smelly for anyone to consider using save in emergencies.

use skeletons instead of zombies for the initial portion of the trip?

Otodetu
2010-01-16, 12:02 AM
use skeletons instead of zombies for the initial portion of the trip?

You will be traveling for 6 seconds, just hold your breath for the duration of the trip.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-16, 12:04 AM
I believe for massive society transport, Tippy's teleportation traps are likely more efficient, as they're cheaper (less magic items, less vulnerable to disruption).

Otodetu
2010-01-16, 12:09 AM
I believe for massive society transport, Tippy's teleportation traps are likely more efficient, as they're cheaper (less magic items, less vulnerable to disruption).

I must disagree for a moment there;
For the transportation of goods this is a far cheaper than teleport traps if i am not mistaken; how much does a teleport trap cost?

Remember that the zombie conveyor belt is basically free.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-16, 12:13 AM
For the transportation of goods this is a far cheaper than teleport traps if i am not mistaken; how much does a teleport trap cost?Assuming you're a 17th level Wizard, 22,500 GP.

Remember that the zombie conveyor belt is basically free.25 GP per 5'(before getting into the cost of the corpses), and a single Fireball costs you 200 GP. Let alone a Troll attack or someone actually making an attempt at disruption.

taltamir
2010-01-16, 12:14 AM
when was the last time someone attacked a train in the USA? europe? canada?

use it in "safe" areas where you do not fear attacks.
and you can't go cheaper then "free".

25 GP per 5'(before getting into the cost of the corpses), and a single Fireball costs you 200 GP. Let alone a Troll attack or someone actually making an attempt at disruption.

Fell animate to get them for free...

golentan
2010-01-16, 12:15 AM
For the transportation of goods this is a far cheaper than teleport traps if i am not mistaken; how much does a teleport trap cost?

Remember that the zombie conveyor belt is basically free.

Not true. Animate dead has a material component. This costs 5 gold/foot (assuming a 1 HD undead, 25 gp of onyx per hit die). It starts racking up cost pretty quickly.

Edit: Ninja'd!

taltamir
2010-01-16, 12:19 AM
Not true. Animate dead has a material component. This costs 5 gold/foot (assuming a 1 HD undead, 25 gp of onyx per hit die). It starts racking up cost pretty quickly.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Avoiding raising costs:
Raise dead has a material component cost. This can be avoided (at low level even) using the metamagic feat "fell animate" from libris mortis page 26. It is a +3 LA that makes anyone who can normally be raised as a zombie who is killed with it to come back as a zombie in one turn

to be honest, I forgot that raise dead has a material component cost... but Otodetu pointed out the fell animate workaround.
Arcane thesis acid splash fell animate. takes 2 feats but lets a level 3 caster create as many zombies as needed.

golentan
2010-01-16, 12:20 AM
Fell animate requires a lot of executions. A very large number.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-16, 12:24 AM
when was the last time someone attacked a train in the USA? europe? canada?When was the last war in any of those regions? And since D&D is set with NI monsters roaming the land, ordinary people suddenly developing sorcerous powers and raising a legion of undead, demons breaking into our reality to cause chaos and destruction at every opportunity, and a midieval political system leading to kingdoms going to war at the drop of a hat, I'd expect any non-terrain feature that can't defend itself to die in about 12 seconds in the average countryside.

taltamir
2010-01-16, 12:24 AM
Fell animate requires a lot of executions. A very large number.

start a monkey farm.

"Zombie" is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature (other than an undead) that has a skeletal system (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

When was the last war in any of those regions? And since D&D is set with NI monsters roaming the land, ordinary people suddenly developing sorcerous powers and raising a legion of undead, demons breaking into our reality to cause chaos and destruction at every opportunity, and a midieval political system leading to kingdoms going to war at the drop of a hat, I'd expect any non-terrain feature that can't defend itself to die in about 12 seconds in the average countryside.

true, I was assuming a tippyverse esque situation where the gods were slain by the wizards and the world is completely tamed.

MickJay
2010-01-16, 07:04 AM
One problem I forsee is that someone could try to arrange a Great Zombie Chain Robbery to capture some more valuable cargo (or kidnap an important person). This could become a plot hook, though. :smalltongue:

What would be the practicality of using animated constructs instead of zombies?

lord_khaine
2010-01-16, 07:40 AM
What would be the practicality of using animated constructs instead of zombies?
Today 12:24 AM

To start with they are a lot harder to steal.

hmm, this could proberly be made a lot safer with permanent animated objects (though not quite as easy).

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-16, 07:42 AM

use it in "safe" areas where you do not fear attacks.
and you can't go cheaper then "free".

I seem to recall an area off the coast of Somalia... An area where cargo is hijacked, and ransomed.

Apply this to this scenario.

Bandits disrupt an area. Bandits take bags of holding/portable holes (easily transported commodity), ransom the people/goods inside.

When indeed have supply lines been attacked?

Every major war/insurgency in recent memory, as well as in any area not totally subjugated and orderly...

Which is roughly 99.5% of most D&D worlds.

Telok
2010-01-16, 08:47 AM
The simplest solution to the interference problems is to build a corridor or tunnel. You already have your undead workforce and a goodly amount of free time, zombie badgers can dig a trench and you can throw logs and dirt on top to make a sturdy roof.

This gets the railway out of immediate sight and makes it a bother to dig up and disturb. You'll still need to maintain the thing, land sharks and flooding are going to be major annoyances, but it will cut down on the easy access problem for bandits.

Actually actual bandits should only be a minor nuisance. Fire Trap and Glyph of Warding are pretty strong deterrants to normal people trying to interfere with packages. Adventurers and sabotuers don't count, the only thing you can do about those is to get your own adventurers to hunt them down and gank them. Anything safe enough for a regular coach or wagon to travel without 6+ armed guards is safe enough for this.

Heck, you could bury the rail line under the road. Regular road patrol should keep the trouble down to manageable levels.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-16, 08:58 AM
The simplest solution to the interference problems is to build a corridor or tunnel. You already have your undead workforce and a goodly amount of free time, zombie badgers can dig a trench and you can throw logs and dirt on top to make a sturdy roof.

This gets the railway out of immediate sight and makes it a bother to dig up and disturb. You'll still need to maintain the thing, land sharks and flooding are going to be major annoyances, but it will cut down on the easy access problem for bandits.

Actually actual bandits should only be a minor nuisance. Fire Trap and Glyph of Warding are pretty strong deterrants to normal people trying to interfere with packages. Adventurers and sabotuers don't count, the only thing you can do about those is to get your own adventurers to hunt them down and gank them. Anything safe enough for a regular coach or wagon to travel without 6+ armed guards is safe enough for this.

Heck, you could bury the rail line under the road. Regular road patrol should keep the trouble down to manageable levels.

Or you could build teleport traps, and guard those. As is, any cleric with a couple levels can end the effort.

Teleport traps can also be built in about a half hour. Zombie express? Years.

If you're assuming Tippyverse? Money is no object, nor is XP.

If not? you need to know decades in advance which two specific points you're connecting (and uncontrolled zombies can only really do 2 points).

Uncontrolled undead haven't been shown to continue their last given command.

It's so incredibly work intensive and time intensive that it's highly impractical.

MickJay
2010-01-16, 09:36 AM
Or you could build teleport traps, and guard those. As is, any cleric with a couple levels can end the effort.

Yeah, yeah, but where's the fun in that?
:smalltongue:

Artanis
2010-01-16, 09:49 AM
You could have a confirmation system. It only takes six seconds to get from one end to the other right?

Well, when a parcel reaches the second station, send a message back to the first saying it got there. If the first station receives this confirmation, everything is cool. If it doesn't, it knows there's a problem and can stop sending stuff until it's fixed.

It doesn't really take much longer than just passing things along one-way, but this way, while you can disrupt the line, you can't really hijack it without some nigh-impossible timing.

Radar
2010-01-16, 09:59 AM

Teleport traps can also be built in about a half hour. Zombie express? Years.

If you're assuming Tippyverse? Money is no object, nor is XP.

If not? you need to know decades in advance which two specific points you're connecting (and uncontrolled zombies can only really do 2 points).

Uncontrolled undead haven't been shown to continue their last given command.

It's so incredibly work intensive and time intensive that it's highly impractical.
Zombie railway has the advantage of being attainable at level 3, which is very, very low. To build a teleportation trap, you have to be 17. On the other hand, building the railway is tedious and time-consuming, but ask yourself a question: how long did it take to build the american east-west railway? This sort of investments take time. Yet, it's worth it, if high level casters are hard to come by.

Otodetu
2010-01-16, 10:35 AM
Zombie railway has the advantage of being attainable at level 3, which is very, very low. To build a teleportation trap, you have to be 17. On the other hand, building the railway is tedious and time-consuming, but ask yourself a question: how long did it take to build the american east-west railway? This sort of investments take time. Yet, it's worth it, if high level casters are hard to come by.

This; high level casters are rare, the campaign might not even have a single one.

The zombie conveyor belt can be used to great success INSIDE a city (necropolis i guess) to transport goods from one side to the other, or other safe areas where vandalism is not an issue.

example; your city includes a port, an industrial area, and a outlying mine, with zombie conveyor belts you can move ore, goods and finished products around quickly, allowing the craftsmen and workers more time to focus on their tasks.
The availability of corpses is a issue, but a monkey farm might be the solution, you can even skin the monkeys first to get a real profit.

taltamir
2010-01-16, 11:09 AM
You can also use the zombie conveyor belts to pass on sacks full of letters.
that way you can manage a large volume of letters between cities.

Coidzor
2010-01-16, 02:25 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Madrid_train_bombings

http://vodpod.com/watch/2593285-latest-railways-confirm-terror-act-in-tragic-train-crash

taltamir
2010-01-16, 02:39 PM
yea it happens every few years, but it is very rare compared to the amount of trains you have.

the lower classes will travel by zombie rail, the higher ups could afford teleportation travel.

golentan
2010-01-16, 02:57 PM
yea it happens every few years, but it is very rare compared to the amount of trains you have.

the lower classes will travel by zombie rail, the higher ups could afford teleportation travel.

Nope. Not buying it.

Look, even without the cost of zombies, a portable hole costs 20k. It's infinitely safer, probably cheaper (your monkey farm still needs food, animated objects still need to be crafted), more versatile, faster to build, and even faster to travel if you do teleportation traps. And given the speed of teleportation traps, there's no reason for "lower classes" to need to take zombie rail.

I'm not saying this isn't a great thought experiment. And it would work. It's just too costly in time and money, and too vulnerable to disruption compared to other methods.

taltamir
2010-01-16, 03:01 PM
well, you can disrupt teleportation in a variety of ways. it could be a supplementary form of travel... Anticipate teleport, etc...
keep in mind that this is non magical travel. Portable holes are nice, but you can use shrink person and a sack, or just a sack in the case of transporting goods instead of people.

Make sure they go via a tunnel, so only people high enough level to magically tunnel (or a group with heavy equipment and some time) can even get there to disrupt it.

if you are going full tippyverse and there are no XP costs to making a greater telport trap, then you could could use the same free crafting XP methods to make them all golems... and order them to defend themselves...
Good luck attacking one when doing so means 50+ golems will charge you the next round.

and they can have orders to call for help if attacked.

note that my original post say "zombies, skeletons, or constructs"... constructs are ideal but cost XP... its really all a matter of how much brokeness you have. with full broken its a train of free constructs of various kinds. With lower leve its free zombies via fell animate. With lowest level its a train of skeletons that cost 5gp per foot before you add in the tunneling cost... it will be of limited deployment. but eventually it will prove very valuable, like the USA train deployment.

Fcannon
2010-01-16, 03:44 PM
For added security, make the whole thing fairly deep underground. Zombies don't need to breathe, after all. Have the conductor at the sending end drop the PH or sack or what have you down a shaft, where it lands on something soft and the first zombie/skeleton picks it up and passes it. At the receiving end, a zombie hawk or something flys it up the shaft and hands it to the other conductor. Adds a few rounds to the process, but we're still talking about cross-country travel in ~18 seconds. Just make sure the stations are well guarded, and the underground path relatively secret.

Once you reach a somewhat higher level, you can have Earth Elemental conductors and keep the rail tunnels completely sealed, with them starting the process by earth-gliding down to the zombie tunnels.

And I'd point out, the undead don't have to be (former) humans, or even monkeys. An animated pig skeleton could hold a portable hole in it's mouth and pass it off to an adjacent pig. No need to draw attention to yourself by farming strange animals.

And if the setting is high-powered enough for mages to set up teleport traps everywhere, it's high powered enough for a terrorist sorcerer to run around hitting them with Disjunction and ruin the economy. They could be replaced, but that would cost money every time, whereas the terrorists just have to wait till the next day when they get more spell slots.

golentan
2010-01-16, 04:27 PM
Terrorists don't last long in the tippyverse. If they're lucky, that means about 5 minutes before they start plotting terrorism. Again, if we're going full tippyverse, the creation of teleportation traps is free and virtually instantaneous, while zombie lines are free but not quite as instantaneous without bothering the mega mojo slingers. If we're not, zombie lines almost certainly cost more, and certainly take longer to set up. Either way, it is greatly easier to disrupt a zombie line, as you need only kill one zombie. Teleport traps you need to physically block off the target area, and or use a disjunction.

Also, Teleport traps can be set up as early as 9th level. Disjunction takes 17th.

If you're burying the tunnel deep, you also have to worry about hungry monsters, drow, and assorted creatures of the deep, and have more trouble fighting back. It isn't like the real world, where there isn't much stuff past a few feet down.

And still nobody has linked to evidence that uncontrolled mindless undead continue carrying out their last order.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-01-16, 04:48 PM
An interesting note on this is that it is not affected by the "Areas of strong physical or magical energy may make teleportation more hazardous or even impossible" clause of Teleport and its derivatives (which include Greater Teleport and, by extension, Teleportation Circle). And where in the Tippyverse wouldn't qualify as an area of strong magical energy? Does nothing by strict RAW, but interesting nevertheless.

Not needing to have a creature escorting cargo could also be seen as a benefit.

taltamir
2010-01-16, 05:19 PM
well, can you teleport into and out of an area of null magic? because those areas do exist by RAW...