PDA

View Full Version : Throwing enemies

Angry Bob
2010-01-15, 09:19 PM
If I wanted to make a character that fought by grabbing enemies and throwing them hard enough at a wall or another enemy to hurt/kill them, how would I go about it? Hulking hurler/fling enemy? Setting sun swordsage? Something else?

Haven
2010-01-15, 09:21 PM
Dungeoncrasher Fighter is another good way to go, though instead of picking up enemies and throwing them you hit them so hard they get knocked back.

maniakmastah
2010-01-15, 09:31 PM
Dungeoncrasher Fighter is another good way to go, though instead of picking up enemies and throwing them you hit them so hard they get knocked back.

I second this, while it's not really throwing the enemy like a projectile, there's no greater feeling than plowing into your enemy linebacker style and potentially plowing them through a wall. My DM once houseruled that it depended on the weight of the person in question. If you have enough strength, you could pick up a small size creature and bring a whole new level to the term "midget tossing".

SurlySeraph
2010-01-15, 09:33 PM
I assume you're aware of the Fling Enemy (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fling_Enemy) feat?

Angry Bob
2010-01-15, 09:41 PM
I assume you're aware of the Fling Enemy feat?
Yep.

I guess what I'm looking for is a character that can throw enemies around reliably and powerfully enough to use it as his primary technique in combat. I'm looking for the best way of doing this in terms of feats, races, classes, etc. Without resorting to broken builds.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-15, 09:43 PM
Knockback + Warhulk also comes to mind...

Primehunter74
2010-01-15, 09:47 PM
I'd go with what you said, a hulking hurler+fling enemy. Really throw anything... fun ability...:smallbiggrin:

golentan
2010-01-15, 09:50 PM
I really recommend Setting Sun. It requires less optimization than the others, and has a bunch of different ways to throw people.

Justin B.
2010-01-16, 05:56 AM
It's not unreasonable to think a creature with obscenely high strength, like most melee types have, couldn't pick up and hurl most enemies. Rather than using the Fling Enemy feat, I would work up some kind of homebrew based on the Dungeoncrasher Variant. If you throw an enemy into a wall you deal a certain amount of damage, if you throw them onto the floor in a heap they recieve lass.

Of course, it would be subject to a grapple check, and you would probably want Improved grappling for that reason. Maybe even Grab if you can work it.

Cicciograna
2010-01-16, 06:59 AM
It depends on what type of archetipal "thrower" you have in mind: if you want to fling people "Hulk-style" then go with your first build; if you prefer a subtler character, relying more on technique and martial arts than on brute force, go with your second choice.

Darrin
2010-01-16, 09:27 AM
I assume you're aware of the Fling Enemy (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fling_Enemy) feat?

That takes a standard action, which wastes the rest of your iterative attacks.

Try my King of Pong (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107248) build. Pick up your enemy, throw him into another enemy, have him return to your hands, rinse & repeat.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-16, 09:44 AM
Half-ogre, dungeon-crasher fighter with fling enemy and knockback. You now have the option of throwing the enemy or batting him away. Get a greatclub and carve "louisville slugger" on the side of it :smalltongue:

maniakmastah
2010-01-16, 10:58 AM
Half-ogre, dungeon-crasher fighter with fling enemy and knockback. You now have the option of throwing the enemy or batting him away. Get a greatclub and carve "louisville slugger" on the side of it :smalltongue:

Improved Grab, obscenely high strength, and large size will let you do this

http://1d4chan.org/images/8/8f/AngryMarine9.jpg

Kyrthain
2010-01-16, 11:25 AM
Then once you hit epic, pick up distant shot. INTO THE SUN WITH THEE!

deuxhero
2010-01-16, 11:36 AM
Is it sad or awesome that chucking someone into the sun is the low end of epic level poiwers?

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-16, 01:17 PM
Is it sad or awesome that chucking someone into the sun is the low end of epic level poiwers?

both. Sad because epic level is that broken and awsome because you just hurled somebody into the sun :biggrin:

Kyrthain
2010-01-16, 09:50 PM
It may be the low end power wise, but flavor wise? I don't care that the old man with a pointy hat made himself invincible. I just chucked someone into the sun. And I plan to do it again.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-16, 09:53 PM
It may be the low end power wise, but flavor wise? I don't care that the old man with a pointy hat made himself invincible. I just chucked someone into the sun. And I plan to do it again.Better yet, a build not even focused on that can do more than toss someone into the sun. A Bloodstorm Blade can throw an enemy into every star in the night sky, over the course of 6 seconds. And if the enemy is coated in Sovereign Glue...

Flickerdart
2010-01-16, 09:54 PM
Then once you hit epic, pick up distant shot. INTO THE SUN WITH THEE!
Don't you mean "Into the fiery orb with ye (http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1543-j)"?