PDA

View Full Version : WW Central VI: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Istari
2010-08-25, 04:29 PM
Recruitment for Schoolyard closes in 3 days come on in people. :smallsmile:

Supagoof
2010-08-26, 10:55 AM
The wanderer's request:

I request the September 13th slot for my custom WW game... if no one has already claimed it.

I could use a better name for my game than 'City of Darkness,' though... suggestions?

Considering that it will be my first WW game being run by me, I could use help in an experienced co-narriator... accepting requests.I could give you a hand with that Eternal D, send me a PM.

bruntonspall
2010-08-26, 05:55 PM
I'm going camping in the british rain for 4 or 5 days. Since it has rained solidly for a week now, I think it might be marshy and not habitable for electronic equipment. I'm unlikely to get a consistent useful internet signal, so please don't autolynch me while I'm away. (I'll try my best).

cd4
2010-08-27, 01:58 PM
Thufir I don't think that you posted my x-men game on the table of planned games.

This is a warning that I will be posting rather sporadically over the next week or so as I am going on holiday. Please do not autolynch me, I would prefer if you didn't kill me by night or day either.

Zar Peter
2010-08-27, 02:04 PM
Announcement:

After nearly two years absence there is another Rock-Paper-Scissors game waiting for mod-approval.

Haruki-kun
2010-08-27, 03:59 PM
*sigh*

Well, I didn't want todo this,but I'm gonna have to cancel Memesville III. Or at least seriously postpone it. If anyone wants the September 20 slot, go ahead and take it.

Thank you.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-27, 04:09 PM
Announcement:

After nearly two years absence there is another Rock-Paper-Scissors game waiting for mod-approval.
AWESOME!

So cool to see those again! Has it really been two years already? o.0

IN!

Diva De
2010-08-27, 06:10 PM
*sigh*

Well, I didn't want todo this,but I'm gonna have to cancel Memesville III. Or at least seriously postpone it. If anyone wants the September 20 slot, go ahead and take it.

Thank you.

Can I have that spot? My Futurama game will TOTALLY be ready!
'Ruki - you can have my spot for the last week in November if you want - a trade?

MOD
2010-08-28, 01:00 AM
Announcement: My IT Werewolf-like game is hereby canceled. There are too few players signed up for the game to commence. It seems like there are too many games recruiting/competing for the same players right now.

:smallfrown:

Helgraf
2010-08-28, 01:15 AM
Vampire IV will need a co-administrator. Narration skills also very helpful. I am assuming at this point that Shadow is stepping down, given his own statement on how the over-complexity of werewolf games was removing the fun for him.

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 01:32 AM
I'm interested in signing up for a slot, but the game is designed for twenty one players max, with less players being totally acceptable. Should I post the rules variant here, or not?

Lex-Kat
2010-08-28, 01:52 AM
Announcement: My IT Werewolf-like game is hereby canceled. There are too few players signed up for the game to commence. It seems like there are too many games recruiting/competing for the same players right now.

:smallfrown:
:smallfrown: Hopefully you reschedule. You had 14 players. How many did you need? I didn't notice it, otherwise I would have joined. I like the choose your fear aspect. :smallsmile:

I'm interested in signing up for a slot, but the game is designed for twenty one players max, with less players being totally acceptable. Should I post the rules variant here, or not?
Post it here. And lay claim to a open spot in the distant future, November 29th is open.

Alarra
2010-08-28, 08:42 AM
Vampire IV will need a co-administrator. Narration skills also very helpful. I am assuming at this point that Shadow is stepping down, given his own statement on how the over-complexity of werewolf games was removing the fun for him.

Me me! Ooh pick me! :smallsmile:

Shadow
2010-08-28, 09:08 AM
I am assuming at this point that Shadow is stepping down, given his own statement on how the over-complexity of werewolf games was removing the fun for him.
That would be correct. Well, that and the fact that I'm unreliable as a narrator. :smallredface:

Helgraf
2010-08-28, 09:53 AM
Speedy response!

Pending final confirmation, I have two co-narrators/co-administrators for Vampire IV, moving us one step closer to launch.

Ruleset dithering to begin soonish.

Rough flow of activities:
1. Announce game (complete)
2. Dither around awhile (complete)
3. Acquire co-narrator(s) (complete)
4. Begin process of disseminating rules with conars. (pending)
5. Dither around awhile whilst resolving any issues discovered. (not begun)
6. Assemble final ruleset. (not begun)
7. Begin recruiting. (not begun)
8. Begin game. (not begun)

Istari
2010-08-28, 10:07 AM
Schoolyard Recruitment closes later today

Shadow
2010-08-28, 10:15 AM
Schoolyard Recruitment

Is it a game about sexual predators?

Thufir
2010-08-28, 12:55 PM
Thufir I don't think that you posted my x-men game on the table of planned games.

Sorry about that. X-Men inserted into the schedule ahead of Gehenna. And Futurama moved into Haruki's old slot.

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 12:58 PM
OK, huge rules post here. It's <20 people (technically balanced for 21 as the highest limit, but a 17 person game works as well), so does it need a slot?

Preface: I never do any sort of b-modding. What you see is 100% what you get, no false or misleading information is ever presented to players by myself as moderator.

Overview

Witchhunt is a game in which the Innocent majority tries to root out the Witch minority that lives among them. The game alternates Day and Night phases, starting with Day. Each Night the Witches communicate with each other a small amount and choose a target to kill by plurality vote. Each Day the entire Town (including those secretly Witches) discusses the events and holds their own majority vote to lynch a suspect. Voting for yourself or voting not to kill will be permitted in both cases, and be treated as normal ballot options. Neither role nor faction alignment of a player is revealed on death, unlike some versions. The game ends with a victory for either side when the other is eliminated. (or when this becomes logically unavoidable)

Voting
At any appropriate time, a player may cast their formal Vote for both Town Votes or Witch Votes. Please be explicit; in form games bold, and in real-life games point. You are permitted to change your Vote if a majority has not yet been reached.

The moment a majority is reached for a Town Vote, it ends. In a majority is not reached by the end of a Day, the phase will be extended 24 hours to hold a runoff vote between the parties with the most votes. Failure to vote at all before the end of this time will be considered a "no lynch" vote.

Guardian Angels
This is a very significant (and very beneficial) alteration to the game suggested by Chris Barney at GDC when we were brainstorming ways of dealing with elimination. Dead players are not eliminated from the game, but instead remain as Guardian Angels. Dead players are aware of all Night activity. Each Night, before the Witch Vote (doesn't matter in forum game), all dead players Protect one living player by plurality vote. A Witch Vote targeting this player will fail to kill--the fact that the particular player was targeted will be announced publicly.

Guardian Angels cease when the game gets down to 4 players or fewer. Note that Witches serve as Angels as well, but continue to support their faction. Dead Witch players may be able to mislead and manipulate the other Angels.

Witch Sacrifice
If Witches vote to kill one of their own voting members, that is a Sacrifice. Witches can still make their normal kill, which will now ignore Protection. Only half of Witches are needed for a Sacrifice Vote; not a majority.

Cornered Spy Rule: If the Spy votes alone, it does not count if anyone is voting for him.

Suicide Rule: Witches (including Spy) can only die to non-Sacrifice votes if they vote for themselves.

Player Communication

There are certain intuitive restrictions on communication between players.
Only living players may post in this thread
Player posts may not be edited.
Players may not post any images or non-text.
In addition, two rules which are not auto-enforced must be followed by all players:
Players may never privately communicate with each other or non-players concerning the decision-making of the game.
Players may not quote the Witch QT from this topic, either automatically or manually. (copy-paste)

This should be obvious, but you are encouraged to lie and manipulate your way to victory. Both factions benefit from deceiving the other. Anyone may at any time claim to be any role in the above communication, publicly or privately; unlike some versions of the game, the game design here supports this.

Individual Role List

Role Card Album Link (http://img294.imageshack.us/g/acolyte.png/)
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7448/40sheet1s.png (http://img46.imageshack.us/i/40sheet1s.png/)
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/613/40sheet2s.png (http://img210.imageshack.us/i/40sheet2s.png/)
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/8425/40sheet3s.png (http://img375.imageshack.us/i/40sheet3s.png/)

Spy Role:
One of the Witches in every game will be replaced with the Spy. The Spy is on the Innocent faction and should work to undermine the Witches.

Werewolf Role:
The Werewolf is neither Innocent nor Witch; he is his own third party and survives all Lynchings.
He also has an important ability: the power to Devour other players once per Day. To do so, he must publicly name another player's Role. If he is correct, the target is killed and the Werewolf is immune to all death until the next Day. Since the Spy technically has two Roles, he cannot be Devoured!

FAQ:

Spy
The Spy does not possess the special ability of whatever Witch he replaces, except for the Junior Witch. Remember, Witches can benefit massively if they sacrifice the Spy, and remember that the Spy will lose all 1v1 Witch Votes against him--think very carefully before deciding to come out. The Town needs him to stick around to defeat the Werewolf.
The Spy always Checks as "good" by the Priest.

Werewolf
The Werewolf cannot be Lyched, but can be killed by the Witches, the D.O.B., or by having a Lover get Lynched. (See Enchantress)
The Werewolf always Checks as "evil" by the Priest. (Like a Witch)

Priest
The Priest is the most powerful Innocent role, alongside the Spy. His existence means the Innocent faction draws closer to knowing everyone's alignment each passing night, making it a race against time for both sides.
Each night, the Priest Checks a target living player. The moderator privately responds if the target is "good" or "evil". The Spy appears good, and the Werewolf appears evil. A good Priest will be cautious about revealing his identity and findings, since it may put himself and accidentally the Spy at extreme risk!
The Junior Witch role appears good until she begins participating in Witch Votes, at which point she will appear evil.

Survivalist and Dirty Old Bastard
These two roles balance the Werewolf out. On one hand, players cannot distinguish between a Town Vote failing to kill the Survivalist or the Werewolf. On the other, the D.O.B. gives the Innocents a single last chance to kill the Werewolf...if he feels like it. Note that the Survivalist can survive *any* sort of death, and the D.O.B. can also use his kill to take out defensive Witches that are in some way immune to Lynching.

Leftovers Rule: If the werewolf devours a survivalist, he still becomes immune to death, and the survivalist still lives. Of course, he's likely to be devoured the next day anyway, but it does delay for the priest/witches to act.

Benevolent Old Dame
The B.O.D. grants Protection the Night after she is Lynched. If she dies in any other way, there is no effect.

Martyr and Leeroy Jenkins
These players should use their interrupting abilities in a timely manner, before the game advances to the next stage. Both may be used after a completed vote. The Martyr's ability may be used on any death, Day or Night.

Spiritualist
In forum games, the Spiritualist is merely informed of the final Guardian Angel votes at the end of night (total number of votes for each player).
In real-life games, the Spiritualist may observe their proceedings. If any dead players attempt to pass information to the Spiritualist, anyone invovled is subject to be removed from the game entirely by the moderator.

Assassin
After a Sacrifice, if the Assassin is alive the moderator will announce that the Witches may select two targets to kill. Both these kills will ignore Protection. If the Assassin himself is sacrificed, the effect still occurs.

Enchantress
At the start of the game, the Enchantress may select two Lovers. These players are informed of each other's identity and faction. (Spy and Junior Witch appear as "Innocent", like Priest Checks.) If one is ever Lynched and killed, the other is immediately killed as well. Death by any other cause does not trigger this effect, nor does a failed Lynching. Note that the Enchantress does not have to select Lovers.

The Enchantress is immune to all Lynchings as long as both Lovers are alive. All other causes of death still work.

Jacob's Rule: When a player is Lovers with the Werewolf, they are now on the Werewolf faction.

Junior Witch
The Junior Witch's identity is unknown to the other Witches (and Spy!) until she chooses to join them. In forum games, the Junior Witch should indicate this to the moderate at the appropriat time. The Junior Witch Checks as "good" to the Priest until she joins the Witch Circle, and will appear as "Innocent" to a Lover.

Vampire Hunter
Edward's Rule: There are no Vampires.

Master List of PMs
This only serves to prevent direct posting of PMs from having any sort of meaning:
http://www.filefront.com/17212951/witchhuntForumPMs.txt[/QUOTE]

There may be some things that I've missed; it's a C&P from the rules in a game I've played and helped out (somewhat) to design on another forum, so there are some strange rule conditions that I may not have mentioned.

Notes:

All roles are added to the game in order; an 11 person games has roles 0 through 11, for example.

The factions are intended to balance each other out; without witches, town has a limited chance to kill WW, without power townies around, WW has limited chances of finding out roles to devour and survive, and without WW, mass roleclaims lead to the witches downfall. Spy decimates witches but, with WW, it still hurts town chances to start mass revealing and, of course, witches can fake spyclaim anyway. Spy roleclaiming also means that he can't influence the vote towards killing WW.

All witches know their own role (Spy knows which witchrole he replaces, which is why he is card 0), but not the others. This can be revealed in witchchat.

Lovers have their own private chat as well.

8 person games should probably not include enchantress, simply because town has a horrible win chance if the WW is a lover, which happens 40% of the time.

Enchantress doesn't have to create lovers (this can allow witches to fakeclaim lovers).

Devil doesn't know whether the priest is dead or not checking a given night (so priest can fakeout to get the devil sacrificed as a spy, or the spy-devil can say the priest didn't check without being guranteed to die).

The method of how somebody died/didn't die is almost always obvious. Leeroy obviously activates, judge is considered a lynch, lynching is obvious, witch NKs are known as witch NKs, DoB makes his own kill post, and lover suicide is identified as such. Only sacrifices and NKs are not distinguished.

WW activating devour has to both PM me and post in the thread. This is in order to prevent WW checking by asking everybody to devour the nun on D1.

WW gets one devour attempt per day. If he hasn't attempted and hasn't been on while voting is going on, he gets one reactionary devour if somebody is lynched (if he successfully devours, lynch votes entirely reset). This is to prevent the strategy of proxying all votes to one townie/zerging one guy to prevent the WW from devouring. If the WW has been on or posted, he doesn't get a reactionary devour (this is to prevent the otherwise optimal "wait until somebody is lynched, devour that person as the DoB" strategy that makes the werewolf invincible to townies).

Any other questions?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, there's only one of each role, what roles are in the game are publicly announced (sans lovers), and it's designed to be relatively balanced compared to other WW games, which, while fun, typically make the game very imbalanced in favor of one side. It's still designed to have everybody (save VH) have an important contribution to their side

Lex-Kat
2010-08-28, 01:30 PM
Custom Werewolf II has been submited for approval. :smallsmile:

It's a small 20 player game.

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 01:34 PM
Also, how do I submit a thread for approval?

Lex-Kat
2010-08-28, 01:37 PM
Go to the Structed Games Forum --> Under the page numbers, click the "Forum Tools" box --> click "Post a New Thread".

Fill in the Title, write up the game thread in the Message Box, and click submit.

Then post here that your game has been submitted for approval, and wait two to three business days. :smallsmile:

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 02:12 PM
Any comments on the rules variant I am using?

Internet Flea
2010-08-28, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure why player posts may not be edited; the most obvious problem is that it means people can't cross out previous votes.

Lady Tialait
2010-08-28, 02:59 PM
I'm going to need a co-narrator for my Gehenna game. Any takers?

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure why player posts may not be edited; the most obvious problem is that it means people can't cross out previous votes.

Because editing is an obvious way to remove/change scum/townie tells, is used to change information stated after it has been done (something which shouldn't be allowed), and generally screws up the flow of the game by allowing people to take non quoted posts and plant breadcrumbs that lead to people supporting their conclusions when they roleclaim? No forum I've ever been besides this has required that, and honestly, it isn't hard to count votes as long as somebody keeps an up to date vote tally.

Crossing out previous votes isn't necessary, it's only a very small convenience to me, and allowing people to screw with casualty is not worth it.

EDIT: I also prefer votes in bold; I'm not sure why it's a rule they have to be in red.

Murska
2010-08-28, 03:21 PM
Well, I've never seen a problem with post editing on this forum. After all, there's no way to tell who will see the post before it's been edited, there's /always/ someone online to see it (I've once made a mistake, corrected it after like 60 seconds and gotten called on it) and is taken as very suspicious behaviour.

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 03:24 PM
Well, I've never seen a problem with post editing on this forum. After all, there's no way to tell who will see the post before it's been edited, there's /always/ someone online to see it (I've once made a mistake, corrected it after like 60 seconds and gotten called on it) and is taken as very suspicious behaviour.

Better to ban it entirely than allow it at all. Deleting posts is still completely invisible, after all, and editing posts serves no purpose besides being an obvious scumtell and taking back things you have said, the latter of which simply shouldn't be allowed.

There's also the problem that (without mod power) you can't see what somebody edited, so the reverse is true; if a post has an edit tag, you can make up whatever you want about what they said, and say they edited it out.

I don't distrust the players, but why give them a tool that is only used to subvert the spirit of the game or correct typos? The game should be more about people judging what people say, not guessing whether or not an edit was a typo or somebody editing a previous post to remove scumtells/add breadcrumbs that support their later roleclaims.

EDIT: The other problem with being an obvious scumtell is that anybody who does so for any reason gets suspicion on them just because of that, which is not something I want. Again, it should be about what you said, not about what you may or may not have said when you edited your post.

Internet Flea
2010-08-28, 03:26 PM
EDIT: I also prefer votes in bold; I'm not sure why it's a rule they have to be in red.

That's my other reason; I'd need to doublepost every time I think of something else worth mentioning.

Murska
2010-08-28, 03:29 PM
Ah, there's where our viewpoints differ.

Taking back what you've said is a calculated risk, as is lying about what someone had said. It's not like you can't fake a PM, either. They're just some strategies people can, though rarely will, use to influence the game to go their way, and since they do not offer any unfair benefits to either side, I see no reason to disallow them.

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 03:29 PM
I have never found doubleposting to be a problem in WW games. The board rules make that unfortunately illegal, but I would still prefer that to having the game tainted by entirely out of game suspicion.

EDIT: They are strategies for the game that involve outside factors besides what people actually said, Murska. I do not allow those. Likewise, C&Ping witchchat or lovers chat is illegal, and there is a list of PMs specifically to prevent faking PMs. PMs between players are, likewise, illegal in my variant.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-08-28, 03:33 PM
I have never found doubleposting to be a problem in WW games. The board rules make that unfortunately illegal, but I would still prefer that to having the game tainted by entirely out of game suspicion.

EDIT: They are strategies for the game that involve outside factors besides what people actually said, Murska. I do not allow those. Likewise, C&Ping witchchat or lovers chat is illegal, and there is a list of PMs specifically to prevent faking PMs. PMs between players are, likewise, illegal in my variant.

...I thought half the fun of the game WAS crazy suspicion for whatever reason possible?

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 03:36 PM
...I thought half the fun of the game WAS crazy suspicion for whatever reason possible?

Suspicion for reasons in game: Fine.

Suspicion because you aren't sure if somebody faked a PM/witchchat log/lied about somebody who edited/is lying about only editing a typo: Not fine. It serves no benefit, design wise, to allow external factors to influence the game.

Murska
2010-08-28, 03:38 PM

Yeah. Well, it's your call as the GM as to what things to limit in your game.

My opinion is that anything that allows for more strategies and options for players without unbalancing the game is good. Lying and backstabbing is extremely fun and trying to game the system should be allowed, and the system fixed to avoid the exploit if it proves to be unbalancing.

@^ Suspecting someone of lying is most assuredly a part of the game. Witchchat, PMs, lovers chat, edits to in-thread posts and such are also part of the game.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-08-28, 03:38 PM
Suspicion because you aren't sure if somebody faked a PM/witchchat log/lied about somebody who edited/is lying about only editing a typo: Not fine.
Why not?
I mean, I'm sorry, but this just seems like a little too much control on part of you, the narrator.
I mean, the no PM rule is fine, and has been used before, I think, but the no edit rule just seems too much.

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 03:44 PM
Why not?
I mean, I'm sorry, but this just seems like a little too much control on part of you, the narrator.
I mean, the no PM rule is fine, and has been used before, I think, but the no edit rule just seems too much.

I do not see how this is any control on my part. I am not, at all, preventing any discussion from taking place. It just prevents discussion about out of game issues (You're lying, you claimed Priest, not edited out a typo!) from muddling the game. You can still say whatever you want, you just can't get sidetracked by what I see as something that is squarely out of game. This game also has, on forums where posts can be rated, a strict policy of no rating posts because that allows other out of game abuses (guardian angels upvoting things that are true and downvoting those that aren't, or just painting targets using up and downvotes).

Especially considering I see plenty of "no role reveal" rules, which actually do prevent what is, in my mind, a strong part of the game (claiming/fakeclaiming), I don't see how saying "no editing" is too much control.

No PMs is the a somewht different thing; it prevents collusion between players. Especially considering the massive importance of roles in this game, private conversations have no place in the game's design, and it would need a total rework to allow full private conversations and still maintain balance.

EDIT: Oh, a sidenote I didn't bring up in the initial post; roleplaying is really irrelevant to this game, and it is really designed to be a "play to win" type game rather than an RPing game.

Murska
2010-08-28, 04:13 PM
I don't understand how "You're lying, you claimed Priest, not edited out a typo!" can possibly be construed as being an out of game accusation, when it's not a pure IC game. :smallconfused:

Istari
2010-08-28, 04:17 PM
Just throwing this in, but at the bottom of posts it says when it was last edited, so if they changed posts from back several days ago, people can check and call them on it.

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 04:31 PM
I don't understand how "You're lying, you claimed Priest, not edited out a typo!" can possibly be construed as being an out of game accusation, when it's not a pure IC game. :smallconfused:

Because that is out of the game. The edit feature is not part of the game, and we should only rely on what is actually said, not what people claim is said due to editing. The game isn't "Who can convince others that people said X in their edited posts."

It also makes giving summaries of daily actions, which players frequently do, impossible.

Yes, I know post edit times exist. That makes editing less awful, but it is still not beneficial enough to the game for the massive number of problems it can bring.

Anyway, since this is getting nowhere, does anybody have any other comments on the design of my WW game? I'm surprised nobody mentioned the spy or WW; most people find those pretty powerful (remember: Spy knows the identities of all witches besides the JW).

happyturtle
2010-08-28, 05:10 PM
No editing seems like an interesting rule to try. The only thing is that you will need to remind people of it constantly. Lots of people will habitually just click 'edit' when they see a typo or misspelling moments after they post and won't remember until later that it wasn't allowed.

As to votes in bold vs red... if you change the format of votes that has been used among the community here for the last 3 or more years, it will lead to lots of 'oops' editing, followed by 'Oh hell!' facepalming. These two changes together will synergize in bad ways. I'd stick with doing either one or the other, but not both.

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 05:35 PM
Votes in bold is just a personal preference due to every place I play working like that; redvotes are fine. Bold just pops a little more.

No editing is definitely not going to be changed, so can we please get some discussion on the roles and more gameplay related rules?

Internet Flea
2010-08-28, 05:44 PM
So if the Werewolf devours the Traveller, it becomes immune to lynching and nightkills?

EDIT: And what is the Witch QT that nobody can mention?

EDIT EDIT: And I assume the dead players can PM each other?

MORE EDITING: And what players are Vampires?

Milskidasith
2010-08-28, 06:10 PM
So if the Werewolf devours the Traveller, it becomes immune to lynching and nightkills?

If the werewolf devours the traveller, like any other person it devours, it gets one day immunity to any form of death. It doesn't gain their power.

EDIT: That wasn't on the rolecard, so I apologize for the lack of clarity. If they name a players role, the WW kills them and becomes immune to death for a day.

EDIT: And what is the Witch QT that nobody can mention?

Quicktopic; a throwaway forum used as witchchat.

EDIT EDIT: And I assume the dead players can PM each other?

GAs also use a separate quickchat.

MORE EDITING: And what players are Vampires?

None. VH is a vanillager.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-29, 01:05 AM
I'm looking for a narrator for a Star Wars Werewolf game I'll be running in a month. Here are the details on the setting:

*Game takes place after Episode VI

*Protagonists are Stormtroopers who've escaped the Death Star. They serve as Wolves, game-wise.

*Antagonists are the New Republic. They serve as Villagers, game-wise.

*Protagonists in detail:
** #20, optimistic rookie.
** #7, veteran.
** #11, veteran.
** #14, rookie.

*Protagonists used an escape pod in the previous game to escape a Rebel-infested Death Star. As such, they've been on this strange planet (of your choice) for some time.

I'm looking solely for someone to take up narrating duties, as I can handle the rest myself. I'm looking for more of a novelist or something like that, for an ongoing story arc. It's up to you to create the story and world, so go nuts.

Thanks for your time.

Lex-Kat
2010-08-29, 01:22 AM
EDIT: Oh, a sidenote I didn't bring up in the initial post; roleplaying is really irrelevant to this game, and it is really designed to be a "play to win" type game rather than an RPing game.
I find it odd that someone that doesn't like editing in his game, edits almost every one of his posts. :smallamused:

As to the Roleplay, all games can be played without it. Roleplay just adds to the fun for some players.

I haven't seen a single game that required Roleplay. Well, there was Gardenphilosoph's The Thing, but he changed that, so that Fleeing Coward and Aemoh could play.

But, I'm not going to be playing either. So ignore my comments, and have fun. :smallsmile:

Thufir
2010-08-29, 03:46 AM
So, looking at the end of Ballad of the 503rd, I saw this:

(I'm wondering how a game would work if the rules routinely changed at set intervals. It would certainly be different.)

And I thought: Fluxx WW.
I have no idea how it would work but I want it to happen.

Castaras
2010-08-29, 05:04 AM
So, looking at the end of Ballad of the 503rd, I saw this:

And I thought: Fluxx WW.
I have no idea how it would work but I want it to happen.

Yes.

Yes yes yes yes yes.

Maybe something like... "You have 10 As and 10 Bs. All blind. You can lynch one person a day and pick a random number. The 2 numbers chosen the most correspond to two random rules from narrator being implemented. Or one random rule. Or a random action. Or a new objective."

Or possibly implementing a new role, or implementing a new special power for the side. Or allowing two people the chance to know each other's roles. Or a 1 time scry. Or or or...

Internet Flea
2010-08-29, 08:14 AM
You guys probably have a better idea of what would be fun than I do, but I was just imagining changing powers, changing goals and sudden restrictions every two or three day cycles.
(A night kill now only stuns; two Lovers points suddenly becomes fatal; certain characters' allegiances switching every three days or so;a character gets a nightkill but also a list of victims as a win condition.) Turn the rules into a kind of environmental hazard, where the longer the game lasts the less certain you can be of the outcome.

RedScholarGypsy
2010-08-29, 08:36 AM
Fluxx WW:

This like a job for Festy.

Dear whatever exists on a higher plane, please let this happen.

Lex-Kat
2010-08-29, 09:32 AM
You want Festy to run it? :smallconfused: He hasn't even finished his recruitment of Ravnica.

Milskidasith
2010-08-29, 01:07 PM
Well, I guess since nobody has any comments on the variant I'm planning on running, I'll officially register. I'll cap it at 18 people, so it should be able to be run ASAP, right?

Internet Flea
2010-08-29, 01:38 PM
Well, I think it's probably a good idea to ask if anybody is interested in running either a vanilla Werewolf game or another Discworld for the ChocolateHammer crowd, considering Rutskarn's been detailing his escapades in the last one and several people sound interested in playing. Currently the least complex game that's still recruiting looks like Murska's. :smalleek:

Milskidasith
2010-08-29, 02:07 PM
My game concept is actually fairly simple (comparatively; it's not vanilla, but it does have a high degree of transparency [especially in how many people are each role]) and well balanced (again comparatively), though it is a bit different from standard mafia games in terms of roles (spy and WW, in particular, are both far more powerful and far riskier than most mafia roles). I may need some editing on the rules text, but every role is pretty clear and there are only 18 players, so it won't get too hard to keep track of everything.

Internet Flea
2010-08-29, 02:14 PM
A few problems with that; Rutskarn hasn't finished his posts yet, so people might not be here before your game fills. Also, I've seen one person refer to Murska's game as "nearly the same" as Discworld, so they might not have much idea what they're getting into. I'm not sure how much derivation from what they've been following is acceptable for the beginners.

Lex-Kat
2010-08-29, 03:35 PM
Just so no one misses a perfectly good game, maybe one of the best games ever to be played!!

Here's Custom Werewolf II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166102). Sign up now, or regret it later. :smallamused: Yes, you! *Points at someone randomly*

VampireRot
2010-08-29, 04:01 PM
Just so no one misses a perfectly good game, maybe one of the best games ever to be played!!

Here's Custom Werewolf II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166102). Sign up now, or regret it later. :smallamused: Yes, you! *Points at someone randomly*

I would do it, but I'm not creative enough to do the role thingy. :smallfrown:

Sowwy

Eternal Drifter
2010-08-29, 04:59 PM
City of Darkness WW has been submitted for Moderator approval... I hope to start around the 13th of September.

Thufir
2010-08-29, 07:23 PM
Well, I think it's probably a good idea to ask if anybody is interested in running either a vanilla Werewolf game or another Discworld for the ChocolateHammer crowd, considering Rutskarn's been detailing his escapades in the last one and several people sound interested in playing. Currently the least complex game that's still recruiting looks like Murska's. :smalleek:

Werewolf Classic XII coming soon (As in, I'll add it to the schedule and post it after I post this).
Reverting to standard ruleset with PMs allowed.

Co-narrator would be appreciated but not immediately essential (It'll be more of an issue come November, but I could probably take a dead player at that point)

Milskidasith
2010-08-29, 07:28 PM
So does mine need to be added to the queue as a <20 person game, or should I simply post it and wait for approval?

Alarra
2010-08-29, 07:35 PM
You can just post it. Less than 20 people does not need to be scheduled.

Thufir
2010-08-29, 07:38 PM
If it's restricted to 20 players or less, you can just post it. If it's not restricted, you need a schedule slot.

Classic XII thread submitted for approval.

Edit: Huh. That's... a number of games...

ThePhantom
2010-08-29, 10:55 PM
The Gamers Werewolf is now recuiting.

Eternal Drifter
2010-08-29, 10:58 PM
City of Darkness WW has been submitted for Moderator approval... I hope to start around the 13th of September.

Been approved, so now people can sign up. Please join!

Internet Flea
2010-08-29, 11:01 PM
Werewolf Classic XII coming soon (As in, I'll add it to the schedule and post it after I post this).
Reverting to standard ruleset with PMs allowed.

Co-narrator would be appreciated but not immediately essential (It'll be more of an issue come November, but I could probably take a dead player at that point)
I probably should have talked to Rutskarn before bringing this up; it turns out he's going to run a game on his site.

Apologies for being an idiot.

Milskidasith
2010-08-29, 11:28 PM
Thread approval process is fast, apparently.

Thanks to the mods for the approval, and thank you to Thufir for linking to it.

Now I just need 14 more players. (misread my own game; 17 is the lowest balanced number below 20).

Diva De
2010-08-30, 09:09 AM
Futurama WW rules will be up in the next day or two. Roles are hammered out, it's just a lot of work to write descriptions/flavor text/quotes/link info. And I'm laaaaaaaaaaaazy.

Thufir
2010-08-30, 09:22 AM
I probably should have talked to Rutskarn before bringing this up; it turns out he's going to run a game on his site.

Apologies for being an idiot.

Yeah, but that's not why I'm running Classic. I'm running Classic because it's Classic. Someone has to run it.

Trixie
2010-08-30, 10:20 AM
I am assuming at this point that Shadow is stepping down, given his own statement on how the over-complexity of werewolf games was removing the fun for him.
Currently the least complex game that's still recruiting looks like Murska's. :smalleek:

There, have one simple game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166122) with absolutely no extra rules (besides vanilla ones), simple roles and with one powerrole for everyone daring to sign guaranteed.

Oh, and willingness to lynch FC and a few others quickly will earn you extra points, of course. I mention this here because, as everyone knows, I completely impartial in the thread :P

Lady Tialait
2010-08-30, 01:54 PM
Guys, I guess nobody saw it that would be willing to Co-Narrate with me. Sooo, i'm asking again. This will be my first time being a Narrator and I would like to have someone as my right hand man to kind of help me along.

Here are the Da Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9193492&postcount=1221), and yes it's complex, I like complex. Also, if someone is going to co-narrate with me, I might have them talk with me on PMs to make sure everything seems to work right.

TheLaughingMan
2010-08-30, 02:32 PM
Guys, I guess nobody saw it that would be willing to Co-Narrate with me. Sooo, i'm asking again. This will be my first time being a Narrator and I would like to have someone as my right hand man to kind of help me along.

Here are the Da Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9193492&postcount=1221), and yes it's complex, I like complex. Also, if someone is going to co-narrate with me, I might have them talk with me on PMs to make sure everything seems to work right.

Yeah okay, I'll do it.

Shadowcaller
2010-08-30, 02:44 PM
There are now 15 games (!) that have started or are recruiting and that will cause games, much like the game that was supposed to be the first one narrated by MOD, IT, to be canceled since they don't have enough players.

It right now feels like structured is swimming in small 20 player games that are taking players from the scheduled games and I don't think that should happen when you have planned for a game.

Therefore I think the minimum player limit for small scheduled games should be lowered.

Does anyone agree? Disagree?

Trixie
2010-08-30, 02:56 PM
Well, this also means once someone dies, he won't have the trouble finding next game to sit in. I know it can suck.

Though, I might agree the number is too big now. But, you know what causes this? The need for confirmation. I posted my game even before the game Lex started appeared, a few days ago. The other probably trickled in over the weekend.

My guess is, this all cumulated because people saw there are no new games, and went and made one, over a few days. If the games were posted immediately, people would wait for their turn, seeing how they can't run it now due to lack of players.

As for solution, my first choice would be A) abolishing confirmation (after all, if wrong post goes here, it can be always moved or deleted by mods) B) baring that, making secondary list for games over 12 people, ensuring only 1-2 12-20 player sized games can be run per week.

Option C would be an advertising campaign on other subforums trying to find more new players to fill all those.

Thufir
2010-08-30, 03:06 PM
I was also thinking about that. I don't know about reducing the limit for not having to schedule, but I was wondering about a limit on how many small games you can have at a time. So like, <20 player games can be started without scheduling unless there are already x such games recruiting. Possibly also take into account running games.

Thing is, the schedule already runs about 3 months ahead of the present. If 20 player games had to be scheduled as well, it'd just keep extending. Nor do I really want to have a separate schedule for small games.
A certain number of small games can run alongside the scheduled games perfectly reasonably. The problem arises when everyone has their small game ideas at the same time. Of course the flip-side of it is that since they're not scheduled, they can wait as long as they like for enough people to sign up, but the issue still arises if people give preference to the small games over the larger, scheduled ones.

happyturtle
2010-08-30, 03:07 PM
I don't think the thread approval process is the reason people want to run new games. I think they want to run new games because they get neat ideas and want to try them out. And the mods have previously nixed option A before.

Option B seems like a lot of extra work to put on Thufir. If I were still running Central, I would not want to do it.

Option C can be done regardless, as long as it's done appropriately, and not just spamming other forums with advertisements, but I doubt it will bring a mass influx of players.

I like SC's ideas. Lowering the 'no scheduling' limit to 12 or 15 player games might help spread the player base out a bit better.

I was also thinking about that. I don't know about reducing the limit for not having to schedule, but I was wondering about a limit on how many small games you can have at a time. So like, <20 player games can be started without scheduling unless there are already x such games recruiting. Possibly also take into account running games.

That puts a burden on someone to actually keep up with how many games are recruiting at any one time. Not sure who that 'someone' would be.

Trixie
2010-08-30, 03:13 PM
I don't think the thread approval process is the reason people want to run new games. I think they want to run new games because they get neat ideas and want to try them out.

Had they seen the other games, they might have waited :smallsmile:

And the mods have previously nixed option A before.

The 'old' mods. We have new, better ones now :smalltongue:

In the name of progress! :P

I like SC's ideas. Lowering the 'no scheduling' limit to 12 or 15 player games might help spread the player base out a bit better.

Whose idea it was now? :P

That puts a burden on someone to actually keep up with how many games are recruiting at any one time. Not sure who that 'someone' would be.

Maybe someone who plays in, like, all games, so he keeps track anyway? :smallwink:

Guess what 2 people I have in mind.

Thufir
2010-08-30, 03:28 PM

Not that difficult to keep track of, given they're listed in the schedule. Observe:

A quick look reveals there are currently 10 games down in the schedule as 'recruiting'. Ravnica finished recruiting months ago but just hasn't started because Festy hasn't found the energy to run it. Schoolyard just finished recruiting and should be starting soon.
That leaves 8 games recruiting, of which 4 are small games.
The City is only recruiting now because Murska and Bill were busy when it should've been. Classic ignores the schedule. Under A Grinning Moon started recruitment almost 3 weeks ago, reached 19/20 players yesterday and the narrator seems to have vanished, so it might have to be cancelled.
This still leaves a 3:2 ratio of small games to regularly scheduled games under normal circumstances (Considering late-starting recruitment to be unusual circumstances).

Put like that, it doesn't sound quite as bad, so some unusual circumstances are contributing here. Though small games not outnumbering the regularly scheduled ones would seem a fairly reasonable guideline.

happyturtle
2010-08-30, 03:33 PM
Okay, I'd forgotten you do a better job of keeping the schedule up to date than I did. :smallredface:

I don't think late or extended recruiting is that unusual though. Probably occurs in 20-30% of scheduled games.

InaVegt
2010-08-30, 04:05 PM
I would like to claim a slot for a large WW game.

Exalted: The Wyld Hunt

Roles and special rules still being worked out.

The Bushranger
2010-08-30, 06:48 PM

YES yes yes yes oh my yes.

(Yes, I'm excited at hearing of this, why do you ask? :smalltongue:)

Istari
2010-08-30, 07:24 PM
Schoolyard Game thread just submitted

Lord Iames Osari
2010-08-30, 07:58 PM

Roles and special rules still being worked out.

INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

I am SO in.

InaVegt
2010-08-30, 08:46 PM
Okay, current ideas for E:tWH, mostly themes and special rules. Consider this to be PEACHable material.

Special Rules

Each character with powers has essence. All of those have personal essence, some have peripheral essence as well. Powers consume 'motes' of essence. If you have no essence left, you can't use your powers any more. Motes recover at a rate as indicated by your role. If a character with peripheral essence uses his peripheral essence, their role with instantly and publicly be revealed.

Artifacts will exist, I do not know how and what yet. Some of them will require essence to be used.

Perfect Defenses exist. Perfect Stealth evades lynch. Perfect Parry evades night kill. These trigger automatically (if possible) on the assumption the target would prefer to live. All of them have a flaw that possibly prevents activation.

Teams

Heroic Mortals: Basically unaligned folks, win by surviving to the end. Might have a few minor power roles in here.

Immaculate Order: They know one another, and each one has a minor power. Win by eliminating at least one of the Anathema (Anything that isn't them or Heroic Mortals, essentially) groups. If multiple Immaculates vote at the same person, each of their votes is worth 2 votes. If there's at least three Immaculates left, and all immaculates point at the same person, another vote is tallied for that person.

The Solar Circle: They know one another. Their goal is to survive to the end. All of them have at least a minor power. Additionally, they all know a perfect defense power.

The Abyssals: They know one another. Their goal is to kill everyone who isn't an abyssal. As a group they get a night kill. All of them have at least a minor power. All of them have perfect parry, except for their leader, who has perfect stealth with the flaw (only if there is at least one other abyssal alive)

The Lunars: They don't know one another. They -do- however know their mate. Their mate is either a member of the Solar Circle or the Abyssals. Their goal is to keep their mate alive. They have at least a minor power, they might have a perfect defense, and they die when their mate does. (But not vice versa.)

happyturtle
2010-08-30, 08:50 PM
Public narrator role reveals is dangerous, since it allows a network to form.

InaVegt
2010-08-30, 08:55 PM
Public narrator role reveals is dangerous, since it allows a network to form.

Hmm... good point. I'll have to think about this.

Lord Iames Osari
2010-08-30, 08:57 PM
Networks are already going to be forming, what with the Abyssals and the Solars and their associated Lunars.

On that note, I think that the Lunars shouldn't start knowing their mates. Possibly they should each have a power to scry another player to learn if they are mated or not. I'm also not keen on the idea that a Lunar dies if their mate does. Maybe they can sacrifice themselves instead of their mate dying, or do a revenge night kill once their mate dies, or something.

May want to consider the possibility of having the mortals be eligible to Exalt once an Abyssal, Lunar, or Solar dies if they're targeted for lynching or a night kill.

happyturtle
2010-08-30, 09:01 PM
Networks forming behind the scenes is one thing, but if the narrator publicly confirms someone's role, then (assuming they're not evil) that person becomes basically untouchable. They'll never get lynched and if there's any baning going on, they'll be protected. Everyone will give them their information, and it's game over for the wolves.

InaVegt
2010-08-30, 09:02 PM
Networks are already going to be forming, what with the Abyssals and the Solars and their associated Lunars.

On that note, I think that the Lunars shouldn't start knowing their mates. Possibly they should each have a power to scry another player to learn if they are mated or not. I'm also not keen on the idea that a Lunar dies if their mate does. Maybe they can sacrifice themselves instead of their mate dying, or do a revenge night kill once their mate dies, or something.

Good ideas there. Possibly give each caste of Lunar a different effect on their mate's potential death.

May want to consider the possibility of having the mortals be eligible to Exalt once an Abyssal, Lunar, or Solar dies if they're targeted for lynching or a night kill.

Good idea in theory, but I worry that would make the job of the immaculates impossible.

Lex-Kat
2010-08-30, 09:18 PM
*Snip*

Therefore I think the minimum player limit for small scheduled games should be lowered.

Does anyone agree? Disagree?
I was thinking about this the other day. I agree. I think if we lower the number of players that constitutes a "small game", some will be less inclined to run them, they will start and end quicker, and won't suck dry all the player resources needed for the bigger games.

I also agree with Trixie. If Structured didn't require Mod Approval, then some players may note the number of games trying to recruit, and decide to wait a little before submitting their own.

The problem I see with that, is the ones that already don't pay attention to Werewolf Central. They are going to be posting like crazy, and then the Mods might have to work harder to move the Silly games out of our Structured.

Lord Iames Osari
2010-08-30, 09:22 PM
Good idea in theory, but I worry that would make the job of the immaculates impossible.

Well, I didn't see it as a sure thing. Like a percentage roll or something. And doing it for lynchings is probably a bad idea, as that would amount to a public revelation of somebody's role.

Milskidasith
2010-08-30, 10:27 PM
Networks forming behind the scenes is one thing, but if the narrator publicly confirms someone's role, then (assuming they're not evil) that person becomes basically untouchable. They'll never get lynched and if there's any baning going on, they'll be protected. Everyone will give them their information, and it's game over for the wolves.

This was solved in the game I have; one of the roles (nun) can be publicly confirmed, but A: private communication is banned, B: even if it wasn't, you could still lie in private communication, and most importantly C: The werewolf role, which punishes role revealing to an extent. Also, as for never getting NK'd... who would want to NK a role that's only purpose is to reveal? Because of the way it's set up, the only power the nun has is to reveal, so it actually narrows down the targets for being nightkilled. Again, the game I have was entirely designed around such things, along with roleclaiming and fakeclaiming being much more common, so... yeah, it's a bit different from traditional games. When you power public roleclaiming with a lot of side powers and a clear group win condition, then obviously things are going to end worse.

InaVegt
2010-08-31, 03:40 AM
Okay, current ideas for E:tWH, mostly groups and special rules. Consider this to be PEACHable material. While many roles have been listed, this is not yet a final list, and most of the roles will need more fleshing out.

Special Rules

Each character with powers has essence. Powers consume 'motes' of essence. If you have no essence left, you can't use your powers any more. Motes recover at a rate as indicated by your role.

Artifacts will exist, I do not know how and what yet. Some of them will require essence to be used.

Perfect Defenses exist. Perfect Stealth evades lynch. Perfect Parry evades night kill. These trigger automatically (if possible) on the assumption the target would prefer to live. All of them have a flaw that possibly prevents activation.

Teams

Heroic Mortals: Basically unaligned folks, win by surviving to the end. Might have a few minor power roles in here.

Heroic Mortal Roles

Villagers: Nothing to see here.
The Lovers: You know, the usual deal.
The Sorcerer: Seer. 10 essence, 2 to scry, recovers 2 motes a night. Can only tell to which group someone belongs.
The Apprentice: Fool. 10 essence, 2 to scry, recovers 2 motes a night. Gets a random group unless he Scries the sorcerer, in which case he gets villager.
The God-blood: Has 10 essence but no powers, recovers 2 motes a night. Starts with an artifact.
The Ghost-blood: Illusionist. Has 10 essence, recovers 2 motes a night. Target will be made to appear as the intended role for however well the illusionist can manage, only the lunar scry for their mate pierces this. This ability costs 5 motes to use.

Immaculate Order: They know one another, and each one has a minor power. Win by eliminating at least one of the Anathema (Solar or Abyssal) groups. If multiple Immaculates vote at the same person, each of their votes is worth 2 votes. If there's at least three Immaculates left, and all immaculates point at the same person, another vote is tallied for that person.

Immaculate Order Roles

Water Dragon:
Earth Dragon:
Fire Dragon:
Wood Dragon:
Air Dragon:

The Solar Circle: They know one another. Their goal is to survive to the end. All of them have at least a minor power. Additionally, they all know a perfect defense power.

Solar Circle Roles

Zenith:
Twilight:
Dawn:
Night:
Eclipse: Leader. Scries as villager.

The Abyssals: They know one another. Their goal is to kill everyone who isn't an abyssal. As a group they get a night kill. All of them have at least a minor power. All of them have perfect parry, except for their leader.

Abyssal Roles

Midnight:
Daybreak:
Dusk:
Day:
Moonshadow: Leader. Scries as villager. Perfect stealth with the flaw (only if there is at least one other abyssal alive)

The Lunars: They don't know one another, nor their mate. They get to scry anyone to see whether it is their mate once a night. Their mate is either a member of the Solar Circle or the Abyssals. Their goal is to keep their mate alive, if they fail at this, then they can 'not lose' by either following their mate's goal (if they knew their mate) or trying to survive to the end (if they didn't.) They have at least a minor power, they might have a perfect defense, and they get a special effect upon their mate's death if they know that that person is their mate.

Lunar Roles

Full Moon:
Changing Moon:
No Moon:
Casteless:

Griever
2010-08-31, 09:10 AM
So, an idea bouncing around my head:

DUNE: The Struggle for Arrakis

Rather simple game in concept:

Good Guys: (House Atreides)
Duke Leto Atreides I (Day Baner) - Leader of House Atreides. Filled with charisma that softens even the hardest heart, Duke Leto Atreides is able to sway the people of Arrakis to his command. His point counts as 2 and he can send in a target every night to be saved from the next lynch.

Lady Jessica (Seer) - Concubine to the Duke, and mother of his son, Paul. Using her Bene Gesserit ways, Lady Jessica can get the truth out of just about anyone. Each night she can scry the role of one person.

Paul Atreides (Heir) - Son of the Duke and Lady Jessica, Paul Atreides is smart, strong and kind. Although he has no powers at the start, he holds within him potential. Once per game, during the following night/day phase after the death of either Duke Leto or Lady Jessica, Paul may rise and take their place. Will still scry as Paul Atreides, regardless of whether he has taken one of their places.

Thufir Hawat (Assassin) - Mentat and Master of Assassins for House Atreides. Thufir is feared universally by everyone that is not on his side, even the Emperor is no exception. Every three nights he may make an assassination attempt on someone.

Gurney Halleck (Mason Leader/Sacrificer) - A bard and a warrior of House Atreides, Gurney Halleck is as loyal as they come. Having taught Paul much of what he knows, Gurney has a soft spot for the kid. If Paul is ever to be killed by the Harkonnens, Gurney will sacrifice himself to save Paul.

A Few Good Men (Masons) - Gurney also leads a small group of trusted men to fight the Harkonnens. They have all been in battle before together and are ready to fight again for their Duke. Start off knowing Gurney. (Masons)

Duncan Idaho (Baner) - House Atreides resident Swordmaster, Duncan Idaho is a fierce opponent for any who seek a fight. Once a night, he may go out of his way to protect a target from any nightly kills.

Dr. Wellington Yueh (Fool) - This is the fool that has betrayed you. He has allowed the Harkonnens to enter Arrakis without even so much as a fight! Now he wishes to help, but his Imperial Condition has been broken, and he is not of much use. His scries have a 50% chance of reading the correct role, except for Lady Jessica who scries as Dr. Yueh. Is told they are Lady Jessica.

Bad Guys: (House Harkonnen)

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen (Night Kill) - Head of House Harkonnen, he is self-described as a mouthpiece to the people, a true champion of their needs and undeniably a true saint. Just about everyone else describes him as a grotesque fat man with a hoversuit that goes around kicking puppies and eating babies. He directs the Imperial Sardaukar to search homes for Atreides scum. (Sends in the night kill)

Piter De Vries (Devil) - The Harkonnen's Mentat, although nowhere near as talented as Thufir, is still not to be taken lightly. Due to his addiction to spice along with his Mentat training, he may surmise the role of one person each night.

Feyd-Rautha (Redirect/Heir) - Nephew and heir of Baron Harkonnen, Feyd is conniving, intelligent and more than slightly impatient. Each night he may redirect one person's night action. May replace the Baron, similar to Paul, he will lose his redirect action if he replaces. Although he does have the standard wolf win condition, that is only considered a half win to him. He receives a full win if the wolves win with him as Baron and Paul dead.

Rabban Harkonnen (Last Choice Heir) - An older nephew of the Baron's, but sadly not nearly as skilled as either of them. May replace any of the three above wolves, but will only have a 50% success rate.

Sardaukar (Wolves) - An elite detachment of Imperium troops.

That's the rough draft. Need thoughts on balance, whether the wolves should know each other, etc. etc.

Lady Tialait
2010-08-31, 09:22 AM
DUNE: The Struggle for Arrakis = AWESOME

Shadow
2010-08-31, 10:00 AM
Good guys: Baner, Day Baner, Seer, Fool, Heir (day baner/seer), Assassin, Sacrificial pawn for Heir, Masons, Villagers

Bad Guys: Devil, Wolves, psuedo-Alpha, Vortexer/Heir (fairly useless as heir), second Heir (also fairly useless)

WAY lopsided towards the good guys unless the numbers favor the wolves more than normal. The difficulty is in surmising what an appropriate number to add to the wolves would be, without making it too many.
Difficult to balance with the roles listed.

happyturtle
2010-08-31, 10:09 AM
Also the way it's written makes it look like after the Baron is dead, only Rabban can send in kills with a 50% chance. I doubt you mean it that way though.

Supagoof
2010-08-31, 10:17 AM
So this is something that I've seen popping up more and more lately, and I need to put a call out here to address it.

Ghosts affecting the game!

While it's nice to see things continue - like when the dead continue to haunt a game for roleplaying purposes, it's frustrating to see posts that can directly impact a game. Here's some examples....

A ghost comes in and says "Ha ha - player X is up to his old tricks! You're all doomed" - This, while not directly stating something, influences a game. By the ghost stating this about the player - now the player has less trust in the game, less creditability, and furthermore if the player is trying to do something, they have to work harder at it now. It's not fair to them, and not fair to how the game should play out.

A ghost comes in and says "Oop, I'm dead. I guess you know who to go after!" - This is directly telling the people who to lynch or who to kill. Players are good at these games, and the subtle hints I've seen pop up from ghosts are just frustrating - no matter which team your on. It's not needed and really a knife thrown from the grave.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problems with a player coming in and saying "Go villagers or go wolves" if it's know when they are killed they were a member of that team. It's the other subtleties that I'm seeing that are just killing the games. So please - Ghosts in the game - stop doing this.

Am I alone in this? I hope not. Others - please share your thoughts on this and if something, other then a general agreement about proper ghosting, should be done.

Griever
2010-08-31, 10:18 AM
Good guys: Baner, Day Baner, Seer, Fool, Heir (day baner/seer), Assassin, Sacrificial pawn for Heir, Masons, Villagers

Bad Guys: Devil, Wolves, psuedo-Alpha, Vortexer/Heir (fairly useless as heir), second Heir (also fairly useless)

WAY lopsided towards the good guys unless the numbers favor the wolves more than normal. The difficulty is in surmising what an appropriate number to add to the wolves would be, without making it too many.
Difficult to balance with the roles listed.

Well, I could go with my first thought which was to make Dr. Yueh a Spytrap-esque Spy inside the Masons, either removing the fool or making another.

Would making Baron scry as villager, and have that attribute pass down help?

Also the way it's written makes it look like after the Baron is dead, only Rabban can send in kills with a 50% chance. I doubt you mean it that way though.

There are two people that can replace Baron and get his kill, the true Heir, who loses his action vortex but gains the 100% kill, and Rabban, who can replace Feyd or the Baron, which would allow daisy-chaining if the Baron dies first.

happyturtle
2010-08-31, 10:25 AM
@ Ghosts: Yeah, I've seen it go too far before.

Option 1: Narrators should thwack the ghost and tell them to knock it off. If they do it a second time, then tell that player not to post in the thread again until the game is over.

Option 2: Ghosts have a cooling off period of 1 day / night phase after their death before they're allowed to post again.

Option 3: No ghost posting at all.

@ Griever: So if all three of them die, there's no kill at all? That sounds pretty much like game over wolves.

Lex-Kat
2010-08-31, 12:58 PM
So this is something that I've seen popping up more and more lately, and I need to put a call out here to address it.

*SNIP*

Am I alone in this? I hope not. Others - please share your thoughts on this and if something, other then a general agreement about proper ghosting, should be done.
Nope, you're not alone. And I am guilty of this, at least once. Near the end of the Ballad of 503 game, I blatantly pointed out Fleeing Coward's treachery.

But, since the end game narration was the very next post, I doubt it had any effect at all on the game. And I'm sure anyone playing was going to go after him next, as he'd just gotten Vader killed. The Seer of the game.

As to what to do, I would suggest the narrator PM the offending culprit that pointing your finger at specific people or calling out their tactics during the game is inappropriate, after you are ghosted.

A second offense? Call them on it in game.

A third time? Call them on it in Central, asking all Narrators not to include them in future games for one month.

Trixie
2010-08-31, 01:11 PM
And I'm sure anyone playing was going to go after him next, as he'd just gotten Vader killed.

Um, what? At this point, everyone active alive were wolves :P

As for ghosts - I'm fine with them as long as they don't screw with the course of the game. Once they do...

Maybe Lex has an idea here?

Or maybe people should just lynch them in any game they're in? :P

Lex-Kat
2010-08-31, 01:23 PM
I almost placed that as part of the 3rd offense, but decided against it.

Maybe that'll be for the fourth offense, as well as a longer banned from WW period.

Trixie
2010-08-31, 01:27 PM
I think it is smaller penalty than what you posted as 3rd offense, actually.

Milskidasith
2010-08-31, 01:27 PM
Again, my game has relevant answers: Dead people still contribute (essentially being a group with the bane ability), but are totally disallowed from posting in the thread. They still contribute, they can still discuss, but they can't influence living players (Save spiritualist, who gets their vote count).

I know I sound like I'm plugging my game a lot, but a lot of the common problems with WW games you guys are bringing up are solved, to an extent, in the variant I am running.

Lord Iames Osari
2010-08-31, 02:08 PM
Okay, current ideas for E:tWH, mostly groups and special rules. Consider this to be PEACHable material. While many roles have been listed, this is not yet a final list, and most of the roles will need more fleshing out.

Okay, here's the changes I'd make.

Special Rules

Each character with powers has essence. Powers consume 'motes' of essence. If you have no essence left, you can't use your powers any more. Motes recover at a rate as indicated by your role.

Teams

Heroic Mortal Roles

Villagers: Nothing to see here.
The Lovers: You know, the usual deal.
The Sorcerer: Seer. 5 essence, 3 to scry, recovers 1 motes a night. Can only tell to which group someone belongs.
The Apprentice: Fool. 5 essence, 3 to scry, recovers 1 motes a night. Gets a random group unless he Scries the sorcerer, in which case he gets villager.
The God-blood: Has 7 essence but no powers, recovers 1 motes a night. Starts with an artifact.
The Ghost-blood: Illusionist. Has 7 essence, recovers 1 motes a night. Target will be made to appear as the intended role for however well the illusionist can manage, only the lunar scry for their mate pierces this. This ability costs 4 motes to use.

Immaculate Order: They know one another, and each one has a minor power. Win by eliminating at least one of the Anathema (Solar, Lunar, or Abyssal) groups. If multiple Immaculates vote at the same person, each of their votes is worth 2 votes. If there's at least three Immaculates left, and all immaculates point at the same person, another vote is tallied for that person. They each have 10 essence and regain 2 essence per night.

Immaculate Order Roles

Air Dragon: Can scry for 6m.
Earth Dragon: Can bane for 6m.
Fire Dragon: Can day bane for 6m
Water Dragon: Can night kill for 6m.
Wood Dragon: Pay 6m, your vote counts as 1 extra (alternate version: pay 3X motes, next X votes in that day phase are counted the same as yours.)

The Solar Circle: They know one another. Their goal is to survive to the end. All of them have at least a minor power. Additionally, they all know a perfect defense power, which cost them 3-4 essence. Each has 15 essence and regenerates 2 per night.

Solar Circle Roles

Dawn: Pay 4 essence to bane someone during the night.
Zenith: Pay 6m, your vote counts as 3 votes (alternate version: pay 2X motes, next X votes in that day phase are counted the same as yours.)
Twilight: Pay 6m to scry someone during the night.
Night: Pay 4m for a night kill.
Eclipse: Pay 6m, each other Solar/Abyssal's vote counts for one extra. Leader. Scries as villager.

The Abyssals: They know one another. Their goal is to kill everyone who isn't an abyssal. As a group they get a night kill. All of them have at least a minor power. All of them have perfect parry, except for their leader.

Abyssal Roles

Dusk: Pay 4 essence to bane someone during the night.
Midnight: Pay 6m, your vote counts as 3 votes (alternate version: pay 2X motes, next X votes in that day phase are counted the same as yours.)
Daybreak: Pay 6m to scry someone during the night.
Day: Pay 4m for a night kill.
Moonshadow: Pay 6m, each other Solar/Abyssal's vote counts for one extra. Leader. Scries as villager. Perfect stealth with the flaw (only if there is at least one other abyssal alive)

The Lunars: They don't know one another, nor their mate. They get to scry anyone to see whether it is their mate once a night. Their mate is either a member of the Solar Circle or the Abyssals. Their goal is to keep their mate alive, if they fail at this, then they can 'not lose' by either following their mate's goal (if they knew their mate) or trying to survive to the end (if they didn't.) They have at least a minor power, they might have a perfect defense, and they get a special effect upon their mate's death if they know that that person is their mate. They have 12 essence and regain 2 per night.

Lunar Roles

Full Moon: 5m to bane OR kill someone in the night.
Changing Moon: 5m to appear as any other role to scrying.
No Moon: 8m to scry someone in the night.
Casteless: The narrator will roll 1d3 at the beginning of each night phase to determine what powers Casteless will use; on 1, use Full Moon power, on 2, Changing Moon, on 3, No Moon. When killed, takes (a) killer with them (unless they PD).

Thufir
2010-08-31, 03:02 PM
Thufir is feared universally by everyone that is not on his side,

Hell yeah. :smallcool:
So, naturally, I like the idea of that game.

Aw man, when I saw this I thought it'd be some interesting idea for a game in which the ghosts could still take part in some way (An idea I've considered before, and will hopefully get round to developing further at some point).

On the subject you were actually talking about, I agree. In general, before posting in a still ongoing game in which I'm dead, I think carefully about whether what I say could influence people.
That said, I don't recall seeing it come up much. There was that one hint in Harry Potter, which was narrator-sanctioned even if I think people agreed it shouldn't have been. I remember one occasion someone posted what really should've been an "If I die, do this" post after getting night killed rather than before, but that was a while ago. Is it that big an issue?

To the examples you give, I think the first is potentially worse than the second, as the second may often simply be repeating something they already said when they were alive.

@Lex: I would personally jump straight to warning them not to do it in-thread. I see no reason to be secretive about it, and it serves as a remidner to the other players as well.

Supagoof
2010-08-31, 03:42 PM
Or maybe people should just lynch them in any game they're in? :PThat's the problem - they're already dead. :smalltongue: You'd be in fact - kicking a dead ghost. :smallamused:

Again, my game has relevant answers: Dead people still contribute (essentially being a group with the bane ability), but are totally disallowed from posting in the thread. They still contribute, they can still discuss, but they can't influence living players (Save spiritualist, who gets their vote count).

I know I sound like I'm plugging my game a lot, but a lot of the common problems with WW games you guys are bringing up are solved, to an extent, in the variant I am running.Which is fine - so rather then making a "universal" rule with penalties, perhaps each narrator should define what the Ghosts can or can't do in a game. Or better yet - let's make guidelines to follow and if narrator's want to add/change them - they can with the first post.

Like a simple guideline - once your dead, don't post in the game anymore. Then if a narrator wants a ghost variant, they can put that in the first post.

On the subject you were actually talking about, I agree. In general, before posting in a still ongoing game in which I'm dead, I think carefully about whether what I say could influence people.
That said, I don't recall seeing it come up much. There was that one hint in Harry Potter, which was narrator-sanctioned even if I think people agreed it shouldn't have been. I remember one occasion someone posted what really should've been an "If I die, do this" post after getting night killed rather than before, but that was a while ago. Is it that big an issue?
Maybe it's because I run a game (Titans) where those killed at night roles aren't revealed. Any talks from ghost after the fact about what their alliance was has an impact. The night killed roles are kept that way for a reason - to allow in game players (disguisers) the ability to "disguise" themselves as a role where no one can contest it - because that player was killed. If a night killed person says anything hinting to their role - that's one less option the disguisers can have.

To the examples you give, I think the first is potentially worse than the second, as the second may often simply be repeating something they already said when they were alive.

@Lex: I would personally jump straight to warning them not to do it in-thread. I see no reason to be secretive about it, and it serves as a remidner to the other players as well.Actually, I can see Lex's point about PMing them - as if the post they made while Ghosting was influential on gameplay - then making it more obvious by calling them out on it just isn't a good idea.

If we go to looking at how the game is played in RL, then we know that the dead can only watch after being killed in a game. Again - mimicking this on the boards , much like putting the no PM rule in play, will lead to games being more fun.

Though this isn't RL, and we can adapt, as with the games here we have options. One thought should remain consistent though, and that is players removed from the game shouldn't affect the game (unless narrator sanctioned).

The wolves kill players to remove them from the game. The players kill wolves to remove them from the game. Doesn't matter which team your on, once your removed from the game you shouldn't do anything to have an effect on it - be it a small effect or large. Escpecially since how much impact it has is a matter of opinion, and what you may consider a small effect may in fact be quite huge.

Narrator exceptions are great. Milskidasith using Ghosts in a game is a good idea, because yes - death sucks, and yes - playing these games is fun, so why not add an element to make death not suck and the fun keep going. We need to make sure that things like this are noted as the exception.

This is not a "Goof got on a soapbox" scolding either. I'm certain I've done it as well at some points throughout my WW career. I'm not saying "Don't", I am saying "Be careful" - because it is playing with fire, and you don't want to be burned.

So can we simplify it? Make the guideline, and let narrator's decide if they will allow an exception to it. I even have a guideline wording in mind.

Ghosts don't post.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-08-31, 03:54 PM
In fact, I purposefully used to disguise myself as dead people in the latest incarnation of that game.:smallamused::smalltongue:

Thufir
2010-08-31, 03:56 PM
Actually, I can see Lex's point about PMing them - as if the post they made while Ghosting was influential on gameplay - then making it more obvious by calling them out on it just isn't a good idea.

Well I figure if the post's there people will notice it. So long as the narrator rebuttal doesn't confirm or deny anything implied in said post, that would be my method of choice. Make it clear to everyone that this is not done.

Supagoof
2010-08-31, 04:00 PM
Well I figure if the post's there people will notice it. So long as the narrator rebuttal doesn't confirm or deny anything implied in said post, that would be my method of choice. Make it clear to everyone that this is not done.I can dig it. :smallsmile:

Ghost's don't post.

Thufir
2010-08-31, 04:03 PM
Ghost is do not post?

I will only support your slogan/guideline if you punctuate it correctly.

Lady Tialait
2010-08-31, 04:14 PM
Ghost is do not post?

This makes me want to make WW: Lolcatz.

VampireRot
2010-08-31, 04:18 PM
This makes me want to make WW: Lolcatz.

Yes please. I call Tacgnol!

happyturtle
2010-08-31, 04:21 PM
Obviously, I'm Happycat.

Obviously.

Lady Tialait
2010-08-31, 04:22 PM
There are no joking comments on this thread are there? Alright, I'll work it out... The rules shall be written in Lolspeek!

REMEMBER! Ghost is do not post!

Trixie
2010-08-31, 04:27 PM
Yes please. I call Tacgnol!

I call Anon :P

That's the problem - they're already dead. :smalltongue: You'd be in fact - kicking a dead ghost. :smallamused:

I said 'any' game, not 'a' game :smallwink:

This means other games the person is currently in. If there are none, well, haters gonna hate because they're out of luck.

And I really dislike that 'one month' proposal. For various reasons.

Internet Flea
2010-08-31, 04:30 PM
Trixie, I'd rather there be an official policy other than "Get'im!" for offenders. It makes it more official and less ostracizing.

Dibs on Monorail Cat.

Trixie
2010-08-31, 04:35 PM
What if official policy was actually worse than that? :smalltongue:

happyturtle
2010-08-31, 04:35 PM
I'm not crazy about collective punishment for offenders, either lynching them in different games or blocking them from future ones. Seems to violate the 'no external baggage' forum rule.

Lady Tialait
2010-08-31, 04:57 PM
Teh Interwebz are threatened by none other then Trolls! Who shall save us? How will they save us? Can I has Cheezburgar?

--Da Roles--
Team Lulz
Lolcat: Villager. Funny as your caption may be, you are just too generic to matter.

Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Committeh: Mason. Itteh Betteh Committeh will save joo.

Tacgnol Fool. Tacgnol is Gnol. But is told that they are Longcat

Longcat Seer. Longcat is long.

Monorailcat: Baner. After all, when you are riding the Monorailcat you arn't attacked.

Team Troll
Troll: Werewolf. You in it for the LULZ! However, at the expense of everyone's enjoyment.

Successful Troll Alpha. Successful Troll is Successful.

Anon: Devil. Do not forgive, do not forget.

Victory Conditions:

Standard.

There, there is your lolcats WW. I'm not running it.

happyturtle
2010-08-31, 05:05 PM
Objection! (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4262317)

And Maru should be the baner, because he knows many boxes to hide you in.

Internet Flea
2010-08-31, 05:12 PM
I would suggest the Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Committeh for the Masons.

Lady Tialait
2010-08-31, 05:19 PM
I would suggest the Itteh Bitteh Kitteh Committeh for the Masons.

Thank you. I was looking fro that.

Castaras
2010-08-31, 05:27 PM
RE: Ghost discussion: Starting off by apologising for any hints I dropped in games as a ghost. Can't remember if I did, I mostly just say "Well bollocks." or the equivilant.

Definitely happy for a "no Ghosts posting" rule to be put in stone. Only had to deal with such a problem once, but consider me another hater of ghosts getting involved where they shouldn't.

happyturtle
2010-08-31, 05:34 PM
The discussion of unscheduled games kind of got lost. Was a consensus reached?

Lex-Kat
2010-08-31, 08:19 PM
The thing is, Mistress, there is already a rule of banishment for cheaters. Or there was one. I'd mention who was the first I know of, but we're not supposed to talk of such things. Find it for yourselves. It's in the archives.

Giving hints during a game, especially after being told three times, is cheating.

1st time offense, was likely a mistake. :smallsigh:

Twice, you're being rude. Please stop. :smallannoyed:

Thrice? Well that's just unacceptable. :smallfurious:

And this is in one game. Not over the course of your lifetime as a player.

Otherwise we'd have to make a thread, just to keep track of the infractions. :smallyuk:

Shadow
2010-08-31, 11:21 PM
Well, I could go with my first thought which was to make Dr. Yueh a Spytrap-esque Spy inside the Masons, either removing the fool or making another.

Would making Baron scry as villager, and have that attribute pass down help?

It might help, but it makes zero sense thematically.
Fehd would be the one to get this ability, thematically speaking.

The Bushranger
2010-09-01, 01:27 AM
So can we simplify it? Make the guideline, and let narrator's decide if they will allow an exception to it. I even have a guideline wording in mind.

Ghosts don't post.

Definitely happy for a "no Ghosts posting" rule to be put in stone. Only had to deal with such a problem once, but consider me another hater of ghosts getting involved where they shouldn't.

No. I disagree with this. :smallfrown:
Utterly and totally.
Some of the best RP I've had in WW games has been after one - or even, in some cases, both - characters were lynched/killed.
This wouldn't happen under such a rule.
So I Just Say No, sorry Goof, Sis. But this is the kind of thing that would make me not want to play at all. :smallfrown:
Lex's suggestion, now, I could go with.

Trixie
2010-09-01, 03:32 AM
Some of the best RP I've had in WW games has been after one - or even, in some cases, both - characters were lynched/killed.

This.

I agreed with BR! Wheee! :smalltongue:

rakkoon
2010-09-01, 03:49 AM
Sooo many recruiting games...must resist...must resist...

Murska
2010-09-01, 08:24 AM
Sooo many recruiting games...must resist...must resist...

I note you haven't joined The City, where we need one more player for the minimum number... :smallwink:

Reinholdt
2010-09-01, 09:59 AM
3 more for Custom WW (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166102). Join up. You know there's that role you've always wanted to put in the game to screw with everyone else.

Trobby
2010-09-01, 10:19 AM
No. I disagree with this. :smallfrown:
Utterly and totally.
This wouldn't happen under such a rule.
So I Just Say No, sorry Goof, Sis. But this is the kind of thing that would make me not want to play at all. :smallfrown:
Lex's suggestion, now, I could go with.

This.

I agreed with BR! Wheee! :smalltongue:

Make that a third. While I understand the desire to keep ghosts from interfering with the game itself, I do not see any problem with, if the context allows it, giving them the option to continue to role-play.

I might be a little biased, because I JUST Got done with a game where I was a role-playing ghost, but...well to be fair, I DID still have an impact on things within the game. It was specifically written so that even ghosts could still play. So, it makes sense.

banjo1985
2010-09-02, 10:01 AM
Fourthed!

The RP in Advent Children II was some of the best I've ever come across online, and often involved some characters that were very dead. A post at the beginning of any game to advise all ghosts not to post anything to effect the game after death would be sufficient IMO.

"But Banjo, you don't play or runs games anymore! Your opinion is worth squat!"

Touche!

...I'll get me coat. :smalleek:

VampireRot
2010-09-02, 10:08 AM
Fourthed!

The RP in Advent Children II was some of the best I've ever come across online, and often involved some characters that were very dead. A post at the beginning of any game to advise all ghosts not to post anything to effect the game after death would be sufficient IMO.

"But Banjo, you don't play or runs games anymore! You're opinion is worth squat!"

Touche!

But Banjo, you're awesome! :smalleek: You're opinion is worth more than... than... 5 dollars! :smallbiggrin:

Milskidasith
2010-09-02, 10:13 AM
My game is starting now, woo. Or at least, will be as soon as I get 2-3 more confirmations.

Murska
2010-09-02, 10:38 AM
Fourthed!

"But Banjo, you don't play or runs games anymore! You're opinion is worth squat!"

Touche!

Besides, you're my most favouritest narrator ever, who ran all my most favouritest games ever. :smallsmile:

Milskidasith
2010-09-02, 10:39 AM
Besides, you're my most favouritest narrator ever, who ran all my most favouritest games ever. :smallsmile:

Aww. My game is probably going to pale in comparison.

It does get a soundtrack, though, to set the mood! Or it will, when two people confirm. *grumbles*

banjo1985
2010-09-02, 10:49 AM

Dawww, you wonderful evil green eye you! And you can't even be saying it to try and wrangle one of my WW roles out of me! :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't worry about it Milskidasith, my storytelling was alright but when it came to rules balancing and keeping track of things in game I really sucked. :smalltongue:

Milskidasith
2010-09-02, 10:52 AM
Dawww, you wonderful evil green eye you! And you can't even be saying it to try and wrangle one of my WW roles out of me! :smallbiggrin:

I wouldn't worry about it Milskidasith, my storytelling was alright but when it came to rules balancing and keeping track of things in game I really sucked. :smalltongue:

Rules balancing is the entire point of my game, so hopefully it works out well!

I'm not really worried either way. No matter what I do, I get to see everybody dance like puppets, and it's going to be hilarious. Maybe tragic, but hilarious.

Mordokai
2010-09-02, 02:46 PM

Hear, hear... speaking of which, what happened to that AC IV game you had planned, you lazy excuse for a bard, you? :smalltongue:

Milskidasith
2010-09-02, 07:33 PM
My game has now officially started, woo!

Fleeing Coward
2010-09-02, 07:36 PM
While it hasn't been an issue before, I really think we should probably put a cap on the number of under 20 player games that are running at once.
The sheer volume of them lately has been taking players and attention away from the games that have actually been scheduled.

happyturtle
2010-09-02, 07:39 PM
I think most people agree on that. The question is, do we limit the number of unscheduled games, or limit the number of players an unscheduled game is allowed to have?

Fleeing Coward
2010-09-02, 07:56 PM
Personally, I think it better to regulate the number of unscheduled games rather than the number of players.
Reducing the number of players by say 4-5 players probably won't affect the number of small games running at all so we'd end up with the same sort of problem again while reducing it by a larger number, say 8-10 players gives narrators little opportunity to test out the balance of new roles/new game ideas that they might want to use in a potentially larger scheduled game later.

Lex-Kat
2010-09-02, 08:14 PM
I agree with Fleeing Coward.

Lex-Kat
2010-09-02, 08:45 PM
Can we pleeeease get some more players for Gamers WereWolf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9279713#post9279713)?

banjo1985
2010-09-03, 03:55 AM
Hear, hear... speaking of which, what happened to that AC IV game you had planned, you lazy excuse for a bard, you? :smalltongue:

...Would you believe my dog ate it? :smalleek:
Of course, I don't have a dog, I'm even allergic to their fur...but you still believe me right?

Quite honestly, when I can guarantee being on here more than once every six days I'll consider running a WW again, though when that'll be is anyone's guess. I could just say 'bugger it' and schedule one, but I'd probably give any prospective co-narrator a heart attack from the workload. :smalleek:

Irbis
2010-09-03, 04:08 AM
Say it, then! :smallyuk:

Zar Peter
2010-09-03, 04:13 AM
...Would you believe my dog ate it? :smalleek:
Of course, I don't have a dog, I'm even allergic to their fur...but you still believe me right?

Quite honestly, when I can guarantee being on here more than once every six days I'll consider running a WW again, though when that'll be is anyone's guess. I could just say 'bugger it' and schedule one, but I'd probably give any prospective co-narrator a heart attack from the workload. :smalleek:

So... you don't like the background stuff and just want to write the stories? Actually I'm fast getting tired writing stories up but I love the background stuff. Any chances?

banjo1985
2010-09-03, 04:53 AM
Well the background stuffs fine and all, but I don't really have time for it, especially if the ruleset is complicated. Narrations as a creative writing process are a different matter entirely though.

So chances indeed! I'll drop you a PM as I seem to have derailed this thread from the small game situation. My two pennies worth is that you could cap the number of <20 player games to maybe 4 or 5 running at a time, allowing a new game to recruit only once a current one finishes.

See that thread railroading there? Seamless! :smalltongue:

Mordokai
2010-09-03, 08:13 AM
Great, you now have a co-narrator. And look, he's willing!

Now back to the drawing bard. Shoo, I say, before I use the encouraging whip :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-09-04, 06:33 AM
Quick, now! Sign up while you can for ROCK PAPER SCISSORS!
It's a extremely fun game and I personally recommend it! Not that that has much value.:smalltongue:

TheLaughingMan
2010-09-04, 10:40 AM
Go sign up for Metropolitan Mayhem while you're at it. We still have plenty of room. :smallsmile:

Murska
2010-09-04, 10:47 AM
Yeah. Currently I'm having to drop two and a half roles, and there's still room for any amount of players. :smallsmile:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-09-04, 12:56 PM
Yes, but I'm not even the narrator of RPS! I'm just a player, it's that fun!
:smalltongue:

Though I will recommend any game that has Murska as a narrator.

Murska
2010-09-04, 01:04 PM
Well, TLM is just a player in my game. :smallbiggrin:

Uncle Festy
2010-09-05, 12:46 AM
Hey everybody.
I think it's kind of time for me to take a break from WWITP. It's just lost a lot of it's charm – some of it isn't fun any more, and the rest takes more time and effort than it's worth. The only thing I really still enjoy doing is coming up with insane ideas for werewolf games, but running the games themselves tends to leave me stressed and frustrated. So, yeah, I'm sort of out of options here.
Thanks for the great times, everyone, but – at least for the time being – I'm going to have to call it off. I really apologize to any and all of my teammates (and even opponents) in the games that I'm still in for abandoning them, as well as my prospective players in Ravnica II. If anyone's interested in taking up the reins on Ravnica II or Ultimate Kaos, they should feel free – though I'd love to be in on the process just a little bit. I'll still be around here and there, but not in a full capacity, so just PM me if anything comes up.
… yeah, I think that's everything. Every single one of you has contributed to the awesome times I've had here, and I'll miss you guys and the community you've created. So thanks.
This is Uncle Festy, logging out. :smallsmile:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-09-05, 11:55 AM
I understand, but damn it Festy, we'l miss you!
*hugs*

Good luck with whatever life brings you, hope to see you around Friendly Banter sometime then.

Murska
2010-09-05, 12:47 PM
Bye Festy. You're awesome, and I hope we'll see you again. :smallsmile:

happyturtle
2010-09-05, 12:54 PM
:smallfrown: The Empress of Cheese orders an empire-wide month of mourning, during which we will honour the passing of our beloved Kaos King with random and senseless violence.

*bows head in respect*

What do you mean he's only leaving, and not dead? :smallconfused: *shots are heard*

There. Dead now. :smallamused:

Eternal Drifter
2010-09-05, 10:24 PM
MEDIC!

*Helps carry away Uncle Festy on a stretcher*

Should be back to normal after his return...

Anyway, I could use more people for City of Darkness (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166267). I've currently only got twelve.

Zar Peter
2010-09-06, 12:00 PM
Two hours till Rock Paper Scissors starts.
Last chance for sign-up.
We are currently at 15 players which is pretty bad for grouping...

Trixie
2010-09-06, 02:35 PM
I wonder, was there ever a game where Team Evil knew pretty much all roles on Team Good on day 2? :smallconfused:

Murska
2010-09-06, 02:52 PM
Reverse WW. :smalltongue:

Zar Peter
2010-09-06, 02:53 PM
I wonder, was there ever a game where Team Evil knew pretty much all roles on Team Good on day 2? :smallconfused:

Well, there was a game where there were neither Seer, Fool, Baner or Masons so... yes :smalltongue:

Trixie
2010-09-06, 04:27 PM
Nice try guys, but you know what I meant :P

Try 8 powerroles, not zero.

billtodamax
2010-09-06, 07:16 PM

Bad! Bad Bad Bad!

GOOH, Stalker is probably not going so well then, huh? :smalltongue:

Trixie
2010-09-06, 07:23 PM
Oh... Well, I won't comment on that, but your assumption is entirely unwarranted :p

As the closer look at the number might show.

ThePhantom
2010-09-06, 07:39 PM
The Gamers Werewolf (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167429) is running.

Wizibirb
2010-09-07, 12:12 AM
Reverse WW. :smalltongue:

*high fives Murska*

What is reverse not good enough for you? :smallfrown:

*runs and cries in the corner*

Edit -

On another note can I have the next available spot for a game (that shall remain unknown for now... because suspense is good for you)

Shadow
2010-09-07, 06:01 AM

Will you accept day 3 or 4 in a game with 39 players? I forget if it was day 3 or 4, but in Pirates 3 I knew not *pretty much* all the roles, but ALL the roles on team Passenger.

THE END! AMEN wins. Flawless Victory.

I didn't know who all of the Pirates were, but I knew all of the good guys that had roles. I was still working out who the passengers(villagers)/pirates were for a few more days.

Zar Peter
2010-09-07, 06:23 AM
Will you accept day 3 or 4 in a game with 39 players? I forget if it was day 3 or 4, but in Pirates 3 I knew not *pretty much* all the roles, but ALL the roles on team Passenger.

I didn't know who all of the Pirates were, but I knew all of the good guys that had roles. I was still working out who the passengers(villagers)/pirates were for a few more days.

And I think we all agree that Shadow counts as "TEAM EVIL" even if he's the baner :smallbiggrin:

Mordokai
2010-09-07, 07:36 AM
Oh, he's not that bad. He's just... misunderstood :smalltongue:

Supagoof
2010-09-07, 01:44 PM

I didn't know who all of the Pirates were, but I knew all of the good guys that had roles. I was still working out who the passengers(villagers)/pirates were for a few more days.Well, when you were recruited into the cult that pretty much made you align with team evil - so yeah that should count. :smallamused: :smallbiggrin:

Heroic
2010-09-07, 08:36 PM
Hi guys I would like to book the next available spot for a WW I would like to narrate.
Just to give you some info, it would be about the "A Game of Thrones" chapter in the "A song of Ice and Fire" saga by George R.R. Martins.

So if you're so kind would you mind adding this game to the list?

Thanks in advance.

Alarra
2010-09-07, 10:24 PM
Gah. That's what I get for being useless and never actually getting around to making the games I plan. I've been talking about running a Game of Thrones game forever, even scheduled it and then it came and went without me actually submitting the game. Figures someone would eventually do it instead.

Eternal Drifter
2010-09-07, 10:36 PM
Gah. That's what I get for being useless and never actually getting around to making the games I plan. I've been talking about running a Game of Thrones game forever, even scheduled it and then it came and went without me actually submitting the game. Figures someone would eventually do it instead.

Each person follows their own path. Perhaps you were so busy with your current path, you forgot about your intended path. It happens to people all the time... luckily, you don't have to have as much on your shoulders here in the Playground anymore. You'll have more time to do what you wish here... or more time to do what you wish elsewhere. It's all up to you, your path.

So... once this person is done with their 'Game of Thrones WW' you could request permission to run your own version of that game, as is the custom here. That way, you could still abide by your word without causing yourself too much trouble.

Helgraf
2010-09-07, 11:09 PM

Useless my posterior donkey.

Lex-Kat
2010-09-08, 02:12 AM
Useless (yoos'lis), adj. 1. of no use; not serving the purpose or any purpose; unavailing. 2. without useful qualities; of no practical good.

I don't believe you fit any of these qualites, Alarra. After all, we are going to battle over you in... October? :smalleek:

InaVegt
2010-09-08, 01:33 PM
So. I haz an idea.

An idea that I'd like to test small scale before implementing it big scale some day.

Basically, for every 5 players (round up) there is an alpha.

The alpha picks, at the start of the game, his five minions. These minions can be anyone, including other alphas. Alphas get doubly counted votes for the night kill on their own team. Alphas scry as normal folks on their respective team(s)

Each team will be told they'll need to eliminate another team, and this'll go into a circle.

Each team gets exactly 1 seer. These will be distributed in an as small as possible amount of seers. Seers do not get night kill votes. Seers vote on behalf of (one of) their teams, chosen each night. When they scry someone on that team, that's the result revealed. If they don't, but do scry someone on their team's target team, that's the result revealed. Otherwise they get a random result.

All other team members get 1 night kill vote. Note that players never get to send in more than one target a night, even if they DO have multiple teams.

If all members of a team are in another team, and the submerged team has lost their alpha, the team is considered dead, and its other members have lost their allegiance to that team.

Alphas are always loyal only to their own cause. Only alphas know who all are in their team. Alphas do NOT know who their seer is unless their seer tells them.

All players without a team will be tasked to survive till the end of days.

Edit: Forgot to add the number of minions.

Supagoof
2010-09-08, 02:59 PM
So. I haz an idea.

An idea that I'd like to test small scale before implementing it big scale some day.

Basically, for every 5 players (round up) there is an alpha.

The alpha picks, at the start of the game, his five minions. These minions can be anyone, including other alphas. Alphas get doubly counted votes for the night kill on their own team. Alphas scry as normal folks on their respective team(s)

Each team will be told they'll need to eliminate another team, and this'll go into a circle.

Each team gets exactly 1 seer. These will be distributed in an as small as possible amount of seers. Seers do not get night kill votes. Seers vote on behalf of (one of) their teams, chosen each night. When they scry someone on that team, that's the result revealed. If they don't, but do scry someone on their team's target team, that's the result revealed. Otherwise they get a random result.

All other team members get 1 night kill vote. Note that players never get to send in more than one target a night, even if they DO have multiple teams.

If all members of a team are in another team, and the submerged team has lost their alpha, the team is considered dead, and its other members have lost their allegiance to that team.

Alphas are always loyal only to their own cause. Only alphas know who all are in their team. Alphas do NOT know who their seer is unless their seer tells them.

All players without a team will be tasked to survive till the end of days.

Edit: Forgot to add the number of minions.Color me intrigued - the simplicity of a team mixed with the complexity dissenting members who are on multiple teams....could lead to a lot of nice backstabbing. :smallamused:

Alarra is about as useless as a parachute is to a skydiver - without her around we'd all fall to our deaths. See - not useless at all. :smallamused:

Lex-Kat
2010-09-08, 08:21 PM
Alarra is about as useless as a parachute is to a skydiver - without her around we'd all fall to our deaths. See - not useless at all. :smallamused:
True, but now she seems scary. :smalleek:

Helgraf
2010-09-08, 09:28 PM
I'm proud to annouce the staff of Vampire IV.

Helgraf (Administration & Narration)
Alarra (Co-administration)
RabbitholeLost (Co-narration).

Recruitment will begin approximately two weeks before game start. Post with basic game structure to occur sometime this month.

VampireRot
2010-09-08, 09:30 PM
I'm proud to annouce the staff of Vampire IV.

Helgraf (Administration & Narration)
Alarra (Co-administration)
RabbitholeLost (Co-narration).

Recruitment will begin approximately two weeks before game start. Post with basic game structure to occur sometime this month.

Yay! We're waiting with anticipation! Or at least I am! :smallbiggrin:

I'm going to be very a-sad if I get first day lynched for obvious reasons though. :smallfrown:

Supagoof
2010-09-09, 12:47 PM
True, but now she seems scary. :smalleek:Don't worry. Now we have Zeb to catch us as well. :smalltongue:

Thufir
2010-09-09, 07:38 PM
Hi guys I would like to book the next available spot for a WW I would like to narrate.
Just to give you some info, it would be about the "A Game of Thrones" chapter in the "A song of Ice and Fire" saga by George R.R. Martins.

So if you're so kind would you mind adding this game to the list?

Thanks in advance.

Should I put it down as 'A Song of Ice and Fire' or 'A Game of Thrones'?

I remember that being in the schedule... and then being cancelled...

Griever
2010-09-09, 11:10 PM
DUNE: The Struggle for Arrakis

Good Guys: (House Atreides)
Duke Leto Atreides I (Day Baner) - Leader of House Atreides. Filled with charisma that softens even the hardest heart, Duke Leto Atreides is able to sway the people of Arrakis to his command. His point counts as 2 and he can send in a target every night to be saved from the next lynch.

Lady Jessica (Seer) - Concubine to the Duke, and mother of his son, Paul. Using her Bene Gesserit ways, Lady Jessica can get the truth out of just about anyone. Each night she can scry the role of one person.

Paul Atreides (Heir) - Son of the Duke and Lady Jessica, Paul Atreides is smart, strong and kind. Although he has no powers at the start, he holds within him potential. Once per game, during the following night/day phase after the death of either Duke Leto or Lady Jessica, Paul may rise and take their place. Will still scry as Paul Atreides, regardless of whether he has taken one of their places.

Thufir Hawat (Assassin) - Mentat and Master of Assassins for House Atreides. Thufir is feared universally by everyone that is not on his side, even the Emperor is no exception. Every three nights he may make an assassination attempt on someone.

Gurney Halleck (Mason Leader/Sacrificer) - A bard and a warrior of House Atreides, Gurney Halleck is as loyal as they come. Having taught Paul much of what he knows, Gurney has a soft spot for the kid. If Paul is ever to be killed by the Harkonnens, Gurney will sacrifice himself to save Paul.

A Few Good Men (Masons) - Gurney also leads a small group of trusted men to fight the Harkonnens. They have all been in battle before together and are ready to fight again for their Duke. Start off knowing Gurney. (Masons)

Duncan Idaho (Baner) - House Atreides resident Swordmaster, Duncan Idaho is a fierce opponent for any who seek a fight. Once a night, he may go out of his way to protect a target from any nightly kills.

<Name Here> (Fool) - Flavor text to be added when suitable candidate is found. Is told they are Lady Jessica. All scries have a 50% chance of failing except when scrying Lady Jessica, which returns as <Name Here>.

Bad Guys: (House Harkonnen)

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen (Night Kill) - Head of House Harkonnen, he is self-described as a mouthpiece to the people, a true champion of their needs and undeniably a true saint. Just about everyone else describes him as a grotesque fat man with a hoversuit that goes around kicking puppies and eating babies. He directs the Imperial Sardaukar to search homes for Atreides scum. (Sends in the night kill) Starts off knowing the Sardaukar.

Piter De Vries (Devil) - The Harkonnen's Mentat, although nowhere near as talented as Thufir, is still not to be taken lightly. Due to his addiction to spice along with his Mentat training, he may surmise the role of one person each night.

Feyd-Rautha (Redirect/Heir) - Nephew and heir of Baron Harkonnen, Feyd is conniving, intelligent and more than slightly impatient. Each night he may redirect one person's night action. May replace the Baron, similar to Paul, he will lose his redirect action if he replaces. Although he does have the standard wolf win condition, that is only considered a half win to him. He receives a full win if the wolves win with him as Baron and Paul dead. Starts off knowing the Sardaukar.

Rabban Harkonnen (Last Choice Heir) - An older nephew of the Baron's, but sadly not nearly as skilled as either of them. May replace any of the three above wolves, but will only have a 75% success rate. Starts off knowing the Sardaukar.

Dr. Wellington Yueh (Traitor) - Has betrayed House Atreides to attempt to save the life of his love. Each night, may cause a target's night action to fail. Also, once per game, may shut down the power around House Atreides' house, voiding all of their night actions, but revealing himself. Scries as a mason.

Sardaukar (Wolves) - An elite detachment of Imperium troops.

Okay, reworked the wolves some, they now have a voider alpha, increased Rabban's success rate to 75% and allowed the Baron and the heirs to know the sardaukar.

Think that will give the wolves' too much advantage? Too little?

Still need to pick a character to throw in as the fool, will have to re-read the beginning of Dune.

happyturtle
2010-09-09, 11:17 PM
There doesn't have to be a fool. In most games, the seer and the fool have figured out their respective identities by day three anyway.

InaVegt
2010-09-10, 03:35 AM
There doesn't have to be a fool. In most games, the seer and the fool have figured out their respective identities by day three anyway.

This.

Also, being a fool is worse than a villager, because you are given a shiny toy, but it turns out to be broken in the end.

Trixie
2010-09-10, 03:54 AM
The same with Sacrificer. Unless Paul's role replaces his own, all it does it delays Paul's death by one day, and it nets Wolves one extra powerrole. That, and the Paul has no idea if Sacrificer's death was his own,or if the wolves hit him by accident instead. And, the potential to die even if you hadn't made a mistake but the other player did it... Well, I hope you see my point.

By the way, here's something I wanted to ask. Narrations: do anyone ever reads them? Or do people only check the result anyway? Is the game with short narrations lacking in some way? With long better or just wasted effort? What if narrations were to be replaced by, say, pictures or mini-comics - would that be a good replacement? Anything you want to add? :P

Lex-Kat
2010-09-10, 04:10 AM
I read narrations. Not necessarily all the time, but most.

But I liked your comics in Fate III. :smallsmile:

Trixie
2010-09-10, 04:15 AM
Eh. Since my question just happened to be on the end of the page, where no one will read it, here's a shortened recap:

By the way, here's something I wanted to ask. Narrations: do anyone ever reads them? Or do people only check the result anyway? Is the game with short narrations lacking in some way? With long better or just wasted effort? What if narrations were to be replaced by, say, pictures or mini-comics - would that be a good replacement? Anything you want to add? :P

Eternal Drifter
2010-09-10, 04:24 AM
Eh. Since my question just happened to be on the end of the page, where no one will read it, here's a shortened recap:

Sometimes. Occasonally, I just skip to the result. Other times, I read them thouroughly.

I'm going to be writing nariations shortly... City of Darkness has a few days of recruitment left.

rakkoon
2010-09-10, 06:03 AM
It depends, if I don't know the setting I usually skip the narrations. Normally, I read them.
Comics and pictures would also do the trick I suppose.
I luurved the Fate comics

Thufir
2010-09-10, 06:48 AM
I only skip narrations if I'm in a hurry for some reason. Or if I'm dead in the game and just want to see how it's going.

Elder Tsofu
2010-09-10, 07:16 AM
Good narrations can be short, good narrations can be long. Good narrations can also come in unusual forms. Sometimes a picture says far more than a thousand words.

I think I've yet have to dislike a type of "narration" thrown at me from Trixie.
And yes, I generally read narrations. The only times I skip them is if I don't like the style and have died ages ago and sort of lost touch with the game anyway.

happyturtle
2010-09-10, 07:27 AM
I read narrations unless I don't know the fluff from the game I'm in. But since I don't compulsively join every game these days, I'm unlikely to join one where I'm not familiar with the setting. My favorite narrations are the ones that are just so blatantly silly that they don't have to make any sense.

Diva De
2010-09-10, 09:10 AM
Finishing up Futurama's rules and roles - should have it up in a few hours.

Lex-Kat
2010-09-10, 09:26 AM
Oh good. I was just thinking of poking you. :smallwink:

Diva De
2010-09-10, 09:42 AM
Futurama WW: Episode 1 The Matron Menace

Narrator: Diva De / Co-narrator: Lex-kat

It is the 31st century in New New York City. The future is now! Flying cars, space ships, robots with artificial intelligence, a diverse culture smattered with mutants and alien species - we have it all! Nixon's head in a jar is the president of Earth, and life is (for the most part) good.

MomCorp is the thirtieth century's largest shipping and manufacturing company, with a monopoly on robots. Everyone knows Mom as a kind, loving matriarch, with her full skirts and wrinkly smiles. Why - she even has her own holiday! All the robots of the world owe their existence to her and her company's hard work.

...or do they? It seems that the inhabitants of Nintenduu 64 claim that Mom stole THEIR hard work! They hire Planet Express, Earth's cheapest (and least insured) delivery service to bring them a sampling of Earth robots so that they can study them and prove, once and for all, that Mom stole their technology.

Mom would lose BILLIONS and her company would be ruined! So of course she can't let that happen. Mom uses her robot army to surround the planet, setting up a blockade, determined to save face at any cost.

Welcome! You will be playing as either Planet Express trying to get the parts and robots to Nintenduu 64, the Neutrals trying to make it through another day, MomCorp out to protect its interests, or your everyday Earthican* hoping robots don't destroy the world.

The roles!
PLANET EXPRESS (Team Good)
Professor Farnsworth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_J._Farnsworth) (Smeller*) "That evil robot Santa can't get to us here, unless any of us are stupid enough to leave this house. In a related matter, you'll all be delivering a sack of children's letters directly to Santa at his death fortress on Neptune."- Hubert J. Farnsworth (the Professor) is an old, old, OLD man in his hundred-and-sixties. The founder of Planet Express, he created the company to fund his work as a mad scientist and inventor. Something of senile genius, the Professor is as likely to babble nonsense and drool as he is to offer up helpful information. Still, his inventions, like the Smell-o-Scope, have their uses.

Phillip J. Fry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_J._Fry) (Dumb Luck*) "Pizza delivery for...I. C. Weiner. Aww... I always thought by this stage in my life I'd be the one making the crank calls."- Fry is a clumsy, good-hearted delivery guy in his 20's. While delivering a pizza on New Year's Eve 1999, he accidentally fell into a cryogenic pod and was revived in the 31st century. He works for Planet Express as he grows used to this (very) strange new world.

Turanga Leela (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turanga_Leela) (Sniper*) "You mean those giant brains are making everyone on Earth stupid? Oooooooooooh. Stupid-ER."- Leela is a one-eyed mutant and the captain of Planet Express. With her impressive fighting and flying skills, she seems the obvious choice for the job despite her lack of depth perception.

Bender (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bender_(Futurama)) (Extra Tough*) "Game's over, losers! I have all the money. Compare your lives to mine and then kill yourselves."- Bender Bending Rodriguez is a lazy, drunken robot given to theft and scams instead of work. He claims to hate all humans and generally treats them with disdain, but occasionally shows a genuine concern for Fry. Because meatbags are useful, of course.

Nibbler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibbler_(Futurama)) (Night Baner) "We live long and are celebrated poopers."- Nibbler, a Nibblonian, is Leela's pet. He poops dark matter and eats creatures far larger than himself, usually in a single gulp. Catlike and cute, his true nature as a member of the oldest species in the universe and a powerful telepath is hidden.

Amy Wong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Wong) (Lover*) "Hey, let's go car shopping! My parents said if I got all B's they'd buy me a bar. And I got all C's!"- Amy is a rich, shallow, spoiled brat from Mars, heiress to a ranching fortune. She is a long-term intern at Planet Express, supposedly kept around because she shares the Professor's blood type. She is klutzy and promiscuous...at least until she meets the right man.

NEUTRALS
Hermes Conrad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes_Conrad) (Mason) "Like my granny used to say back in her tar paper shack on Montego Bay, 'If you want a box thrown into the sun, you got to do it yourself.' God rest her zombie bones"- Hermes is the workaholic Jamaican bureaucrat who keeps Planet Express in compliance. Paperwork, insurance, regulations - that's his field. He could easily be assigned to another company, but as long as he's here, he's gonna work!
Scruffy (http://theinfosphere.org/Scruffy) (Mason) "Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived." [Turns page of Zero-G Juggs magazine.]- Scruffy the janitor is just here to do his job. Scruffy doesn't really know the crew, and they don't really know him. He's just there to clean up their messes - and look at nudey magazines.
Dr. Zoidberg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Zoidberg) (Mason) "Fry, it's been years since medical school, so remind me. Disembowelling in your species: fatal, or non-fatal?"- Dr. Zoidberg is a lobster-esque alien from Decapod 10. Clearly inept at his job, unable to tell genders apart and frequently confusing organs - all this makes him PERFECT for Planet Express. If everyone dies, he'll move on, but as long as they're around and they have food...
URL (http://theinfosphere.org/URL) (Peace Officer 1*) "I'm gonna get twenty-fourth century on his ass."- URL is basically a 70's soul brother inhabiting the body of a Peace Officer-bot. He makes up half of the local peace officer team and uses a lot of cliche' phrases while he beats people with his nightstick.
Smitty (http://theinfosphere.org/Smitty) (Peace Officer 2*) "You're under arrest for child endangerment, depriving children of food, selling children as food, and misrepresenting the weight of livestock!"- Smitty makes up the human half of the Peace Officers. Like his partner, he too likes to beat people copiously, but his arms CAN get tired.
Kif Kroker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kif_Kroker) (Lover*) "Fonfon Ru means 'one who doesn't sleep with my superior officer.' That's the literal translation!"- Kif Kroker is a quiet, squishy, amphibious alien who serves under Zapp Brannigan as his fourth lieutenant. He is shy, but very romantic. As well, he seems to be the only one who realizes what a chump Zapp is all the time. If only he could find true love...

Zapp Brannigan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapp_Brannigan) (Fool) "If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?"- Zapp Brannigan has SOMEHOW made it to the rank of captain. He is arrogant, stupid, and brash. He thinks only of himself - and women. Considering himself something of a Casanova, he makes sure to wear his uniform short to show off his legs.

MOM-CORP (Team Evil)
Mom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mom_(Futurama)) (Alpha*) "I'm off to some charity BS for knocked-up teenage sluts."- On the surface, Mom is a kind, gentle elderly woman, the creator of all robots, and a matronly benefactor. With her wide skirts, rocking chair, and wrinkles, she has created an image of idealism. Behind the scenes, she is thin, greedy, and nasty. Mom is out to make the most money possible, by any means necessary. She was once married to Professor Wernstrom, but has always been in love with Professor Farnsworth.

Professor Wernstrom (Seer) "I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: an A-minus-minus!"- Professor Ogden Wernstrom is the not-so-bitter rival of Professor Farnsworth. In 2900, the Professor gave Wernstrom an A- for sloppy penmanship, and Wernstrom has spent the last 100 years attempting to exact revenge.

Walt (Wolf) "My God! This Mr. Fry must be a mastermind of the highest order!"- The oldest of Mom's sons, he idolizes her and hopes to marry a woman just like her. He also seems to be the unspoken leader of the three, exacting punishments on his brothers.

Larry (Wolf) ""Your laugh...it's so...infectious..."- Larry is the sniveling middle child, constantly apologizing and cringing.

Igner (Wolf) "Can I wear your fat suit?"- Igner is the youngest of the three sons, and seems to be the slowest mentally. He is not as articulate as his brothers, and addresses Mom as "Mommy".

Q.T. McWhiskers (Extra Tough, Wolf)- Professor Farnsworth's prize invention while at MomCorp, this cat toy shot rainbows from its eyes. Mom, however, decided to weaponize it, causing the Professor to leave the company and break up with her.

The role explanations
~Smeller - the same as Seer, but the professor uses his Smell-o-Scope to detect someone's true identity

~Dumb Luck - Fry can be lynched just like anyone else, but if targeted for a night kill, he has a 50% chance to survive it

~Sniper - night kill ability, usable every 3 nights

~Extra Tough - thanks to a “shiny metal ass”, harder to kill (requires 2 extra votes to lynch)

~Lover - each lover, in their search for their partner, gets a nightly scry, but it only reveals whether or not that person is the other lover, once they find each other, they may share a scry every 2 nights, if one lover is auto'd the other survives but cannot scry

~Peace Officer - the police force is made up of two members, who SHARE the ability to day bane. As long as both are alive, they must agree or no one is protected, can send in target during night phase or during first 24 hours of day phase

~Alpha - Mom is the leading producer of robots worldwide, thus she is able to control them every so often using a master programming code. Every 3 days, Mom can make ALL robots vote the way she wants them to (Bender, URL, QT McWhiskers), scries as a Villager

~Earthican - Villager

Diva De
2010-09-10, 09:53 AM
Double post action!

Since my game is slated to start on the 20th, can I go ahead and post this and make a recruitment thread today?

Murska
2010-09-10, 09:54 AM
By the way, the City would be willing to accept a few autolynch replacements just in case. Right now there doesn't seem to be much danger of autolynches, but it's always better if they're replaced instead of removed.

Castaras
2010-09-10, 09:55 AM
Except for the auto part for the Lovers, it looks good. Why can a lover not win if the other is auto'd? That isn't their fault, so get rid of that part and you have a winner.

Diva De
2010-09-10, 09:57 AM
Except for the auto part for the Lovers, it looks good. Why can a lover not win if the other is auto'd? That isn't their fault, so get rid of that part and you have a winner.

In most games, if one lover is auto'd the other DIES - I felt like this was sort of a compromise.

Any other thoughts?

Castaras
2010-09-10, 10:08 AM
In most games, if one lover is auto'd the other DIES - I felt like this was sort of a compromise.

Any other thoughts?

And with this, because the lovers don't know who each other is to begin with, then they can't really do anything to poke their fellow lover to stop being auto'd. Not scrying is fine, but not being able to win isn't.

And tbh, I disagree with lovers being killed if their partner is autolynched.

Diva De
2010-09-10, 10:11 AM
And with this, because the lovers don't know who each other is to begin with, then they can't really do anything to poke their fellow lover to stop being auto'd. Not scrying is fine, but not being able to win isn't.

And tbh, I disagree with lovers being killed if their partner is autolynched.

As do I, which is why I made it part of the rules that didn't happen. Still, I suppose you're right about that. Will edit.

EDIT: Rules for my game - RP is encouraged, fun is mandatory, no srs bznz logic discussion. Do that over PM.

This is because the number one reason I tune out on WW games is because people take it too seriously and clog the thread with arguing and things that make the whole mood go down the tubes.

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 12:23 PM
This is because the number one reason I tune out on WW games is because people take it too seriously and clog the thread with arguing and things that make the whole mood go down the tubes.

Ditto. *nodnod*

Heroic
2010-09-10, 06:07 PM
Alarra I would be honoured if you'd like to participate as conarrator in The Game of Thrones WW.
It would be great to have an experienced narrator and player since it would be my first time narrating.

And also, you're the opposite of the world useless. :smallbiggrin:

VA_beds
2010-09-10, 11:06 PM
my situation is that i live out in the boonies here in WV
i am about 10 minutes from one decent size town and 15 from another...but up at the far end of some of the hollers around here you would swear you went back 50 years in time except that the rusted out car hulks are much newer
what this means is that i have 2 choices for internet---- either 1* service at 3 1/2* price---or 2* service for 5* price
i choose neither so only post from computer at work on my breaks

if there is a ww game im in where an action/point is due from me on the weekend i give proxy power to a friend/co-worker (otakuryoga) who can confer with me over the phone and get my orders

this is of course if the narrators have no problem with this in their game

Milskidasith
2010-09-11, 12:02 AM
my situation is that i live out in the boonies here in WV
i am about 10 minutes from one decent size town and 15 from another...but up at the far end of some of the hollers around here you would swear you went back 50 years in time except that the rusted out car hulks are much newer
what this means is that i have 2 choices for internet---- either 1* service at 3 1/2* price---or 2* service for 5* price
i choose neither so only post from computer at work on my breaks

if there is a ww game im in where an action/point is due from me on the weekend i give proxy power to a friend/co-worker (otakuryoga) who can confer with me over the phone and get my orders

this is of course if the narrators have no problem with this in their game

I would prefer you tell me you are incapable of getting online enough to actually play the game before signing up... :smallannoyed:

happyturtle
2010-09-11, 12:05 AM
It's fairly common for players to be unavailable on weekends, either because of connection issues or because they have real lives. When I was a narrator, I just made sure no day or night phase ended on the weekend, to avoid someone missing their vote or night action.

Lex-Kat
2010-09-11, 01:02 AM
I would prefer you tell me you are incapable of getting online enough to actually play the game before signing up... :smallannoyed:
So, if someone can't be online everyday, they are not able to play yuour games? Wow, you are strict. :smallyuk:

Mordokai
2010-09-11, 06:54 AM

Now seriously dude, people have lives outside this forum. If I was unable to sign up for games because I'm unable to post from time to time, then I'd sign for almost no game whatsoever. And I count myself as somebody with a lot of free time on my hands. It's really no reason to get annoyed over.

Wizibirb
2010-09-11, 12:39 PM
Question, did calamity post an away message that I missed or has he disappeared? :smallconfused: :smalleek:

lostlittlebear
2010-09-11, 12:42 PM
Don't be too hard on Milskidasith guys, I think it was an honest mistake. He probably comes from a WW tradition that is a lot more serious and active than the one we have on this board and took people posting at least once per day for granted.

Diva De
2010-09-11, 03:28 PM
FUTURAMA WW IS UP! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167879)

@v: <3

Cristo Meyers
2010-09-11, 03:31 PM
EDIT: Rules for my game - RP is encouraged, fun is mandatory, no srs bznz logic discussion. Do that over PM.

Futurama WW is Fun. Other games are Not-Fun. Having Fun is Mandatory. Failure to have Fun is Treason. Play Futurama WW.

The Narrator is your Friend. Have a nice day.

Milskidasith
2010-09-11, 03:41 PM
Question: Have there been any concrete rule changes on 20 person games? I'm considering running another game, but I wasn't sure if I could just post it.

Lex-Kat
2010-09-11, 05:33 PM
As far as I know, nothing has been set yet. We keep not finishing the discussion.

Castaras
2010-09-11, 05:43 PM
Question, did calamity post an away message that I missed or has he disappeared? :smallconfused: :smalleek:

His last post was 2 days ago, and before that was 10 days ago. No away messages as far as I can see. :smallfrown:

billtodamax
2010-09-12, 01:26 AM
Can we get some more players for Eternal Drifter's City of Darkness? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166267) It looks like a really fun game.

Eternal Drifter
2010-09-12, 01:36 AM
Untested, but it will be fun... at least, it should.

At the very least, I'll start on improving my narriator skills.

PS: Perhaps a new piece of common knowledge is in order... considering my streak of games...

Eternal Drifter: If he's on your side, you'll always loose. ALWAYS.

That's how bad it's gotten... Haven't won a WW game yet. Perhaps I'll have better luck narriating.

InaVegt
2010-09-12, 01:48 AM
I'm looking for a co-narrator for Exalted: the Wyld Hunt, preferably one with similar-ish timezones to me, knowledge of the setting, and the ability to communicate through some sort of IM program.

lostlittlebear
2010-09-12, 08:34 AM
What's your timezone, InaVegt? I fulfill the other two criteria.

InaVegt
2010-09-12, 09:23 AM
What's your timezone, InaVegt? I fulfill the other two criteria.

Central European Time

Diva De
2010-09-12, 09:01 PM

Come on, people! Sign up! What's the hold up?

billtodamax
2010-09-13, 01:30 AM
The no logic rule might have scared a few people off. It's why I'm not playing it. Sorry.

Lex-Kat
2010-09-13, 01:58 AM
She doesn't really mean , No Logic. She means no drama because of the logic. You know, no fighting. She wants Futurama to be fun. :smallsmile: You remember fun, right? :smalltongue:

billtodamax
2010-09-13, 02:14 AM
*scratches head*

I dunno, it's been a long time. :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, I probably shouldn't play it anyway, so I can focus more on Murska and my game.

*kicks that sentence until the grammar works*

Lex-Kat
2010-09-13, 02:19 AM
:smallconfused: You need to focus on Murska? Pretty kinky, if you ask me. :smallamused:

billtodamax
2010-09-13, 02:20 AM
Hey, now, you know I didn't...

*re-reads sentence*

Wow, that really didn't work, did it? :smalltongue:

Philistine
2010-09-13, 06:48 AM
Well, for a given definition of "work"...

Diva De
2010-09-13, 07:54 AM
She doesn't really mean , No Logic. She means no drama because of the logic. You know, no fighting. She wants Futurama to be fun. :smallsmile: You remember fun, right? :smalltongue:

This. Maybe I should edit OP...

lostlittlebear
2010-09-13, 07:55 AM
Central European Time

Eh, I'm at GMT +8, that suit you? I'm most active in the evenings/nights on weekdays and afternoons on weekends.

Wizibirb
2010-09-13, 01:01 PM
MtG - Battle for Alara! has ended with a wind for the shard of JUND!

and also to make note my next scheduled game is.....

MtG - Conflux - The Clash of the Shards

Cute and Evil
2010-09-13, 03:22 PM
Okay, I'm new to this, and I understand most things:
Wolf = Night Kill by vote
Villager (+ everyone else) = Day Kill by public vote
Devil/Seer = know people's roles (1 per night)
Baner = Protects 1 person per night (optional for day also)

But Mason I don't get, nowhere does it really say what they do, it only says that they are masons, nothing else, could someone please explain?

Murska
2010-09-13, 03:26 PM
Masons are villagers who know each other at the start.

VampireRot
2010-09-13, 03:26 PM
Okay, I'm new to this, and I understand most things:
Wolf = Night Kill by vote
Villager (+ everyone else) = Day Kill by public vote
Devil/Seer = know people's roles (1 per night)
Baner = Protects 1 person per night (optional for day also)

But Mason I don't get, nowhere does it really say what they do, it only says that they are masons, nothing else, could someone please explain?

Masons are villagers (usually 3) who know each other. Their only power is to know that the other two masons aren't wolves. This is to help team villager get connections instead of just blindly lynching.

Cute and Evil
2010-09-13, 03:39 PM
I see, thank you. I've been thinking of some new ideas for a werewolf game, and looked through some old ones.

Castaras
2010-09-13, 04:11 PM
Masons are villagers (usually 3) who know each other. Their only power is to know that the other two masons aren't wolves. This is to help team villager get connections instead of just blindly lynching.

Very often more than 3. Normally around 5 I've found. Depends on size of game. :smallsmile:

Murska
2010-09-13, 04:18 PM
In my general experience, Masons lose efficiency exponentially as their number exceeds 6, because you can't send a PM to everyone at once anymore.

Internet Flea
2010-09-13, 04:23 PM
In my general experience, Masons lose efficiency exponentially as their number exceeds 6, because you can't send a PM to everyone at once anymore.

That's no problem; you just get a few people lynched and you're back to six.

Alarra
2010-09-13, 05:10 PM
I see, thank you. I've been thinking of some new ideas for a werewolf game, and looked through some old ones.

I would recommend playing a few, you'll get used to the roles and be better able to run your own.

Milskidasith
2010-09-13, 09:29 PM
That's no problem; you just get a few people lynched and you're back to six.

Or use Quicktopic.

Easier for narrator's to keep track of, easier for players to dig through, and allows groups of more than six. Seriously, for any kind of private group that gets its own discussion, Quicktopic is infinitely better than PMs.

Anyway, just posting to say my game is officially over. I will probably be running another soon, but I dunno.

Trixie
2010-09-14, 10:20 AM
Yo, the Stalkers totally didn't get out of there after all, sadly :P

[Monolith Victory]

Cute and Evil
2010-09-14, 10:54 AM
I would recommend playing a few, you'll get used to the roles and be better able to run your own.

Of course, yes. I'm going to get the hang of how it goes before I jump in and try my own version. I'm still not even sure what kind of version I want it to be. :smallbiggrin:

Internet Flea
2010-09-14, 11:01 AM
Yo, the Stalkers totally didn't get out of there after all, sadly :P

[Monolith Victory]

You sure? It seemed pretty slaughterrific from the Stalker end of things.

Supagoof
2010-09-14, 11:15 AM
HEY YOU!

YES YOU!

YOU NEED TO SIGN UP FOR CITY OF DARKNESS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166267)

Before recruitment closes. We need more players, and you want to be that player that has the potential to become the [INSERT ROLE], since this game uses items to determine night actions. That's right, even the villagers can get nightly abilities if the chips falls right. So why are you still reading this? - Go sign up now! :smile:

Shadow
2010-09-14, 12:21 PM
The reason that all of these games have trouble finding enough players lately is the same reason we started a schedule to begin with. Which was....
Too many game going on at once, so none of them get the attention that they deserve.

Lately I've seen tons and tons of smaller games being started. My guess is that these are smaller games for one reason only: specifically because they didn't want to wait to start. But all of these different games/narrators that don't wish to wait and decide to make it a smaller game instead creates the same problem that originated the schedule to begin with. Which is....
Too many games going on at once so none of them get the attention that they deserve.

Choosing to make them smaller games in order to avoid the schedule just means that you run into the problem that made us create the schedule to begin with.

happyturtle
2010-09-14, 12:42 PM
Which is why we've been discussing off and on over the last few weeks whether there should be some sort of limit on smaller games. But no consensus seems to have been reached.

Maybe Thufir needs to just make an executive decision? (And start a new thread...)