View Full Version : Yet another Plant [3.5 D&D, PEACH]

Fortuna
2010-01-15, 10:33 PM
Oomgosh
Size/Type: Large Plant
Hit Dice: 12d8+96 (150 hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20'
Armor Class: 13, touch 8, flat-footed 13 (-1 size, -1 dex, +5 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+20
Attack: slam +15 melee (3d6+7)
Full Attack: 2 slams +15 melee (3d6+7)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: One With The Forest
Special Qualities: DR 2/-; Restful Hibernation; Regrowth; Earthtied; Whispers Of The Forest; There Will Always Be An Oomgosh; Low-light vision; Immunity to all mind-affecting effects; Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning; Not subject to critical hits
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +3, Will +7
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 8, Con 25, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 15
Skills: Knowledge (Nature) +11, Survival +14
Feats: Track, Hibernate (Dragon #313), Improved Toughness
Environment: Usually forests, but can be any.
Organization: Singular (unique)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Good
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: —

There is an Oomgosh. There always was an Oomgosh. And there always will be an Oomgosh. An Oomgosh always guards the forests, and by extension the world, from what the Oomgosh feels the forests and world need guarding from. Those who oppose an Oomgosh frequently get more than they bargained for: an Oomgosh is more than it appears. An Oomgosh looks like a huge human male, but his skin is bark, and his hair is branches and leaves.

Combat

One With The Forest (Su): An Oomgosh may spend a standard action becoming one with the forest. This provokes attacks of opportunity. During this round, and until he chooses to spend another standard action separating, his damage reduction increases to 10/-, he cannot move and has a Dexterity score of 0, and he may use the following abilities as a standard action.

Oomgosh's Tears (Su): The target creature within line of sight of the Oomgosh is caught in a personal rainstorm. It takes 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage from the force of the water raining on it.
Oomgosh's Howl (Su): The target creature within line of sight of the Oomgosh is attacked by a devastating wind. It must make a Grapple check against the Oomgosh's Grapple modifier or be blown into the air, being deposited up to 100 feet away from its starting location.
Oomgosh's Wrath (Su): The target creature within line of sight of the Oomgosh is struck by lightning. It takes 1d6 points of electrical damage.
Oomgosh's Call (Su): The target creature within line of sight of the Oomgosh and 10 feet of the ground or of any plant must make a Reflex save (DC 21) or have its movement rate halved for 2d4 rounds due to the vines grabbing at it. It is unable to fly during this time. The save DC is Charisma based.
[/i]

Restful Hibernation (Ex): An Oomgosh need not sleep, but may do so whenever it chooses, for any length of time. While it is asleep, it takes normal penalties to Listen checks made normally, but the Whispers Of The Forest ability is unimpaired.

Regrowth (Ex): An Oomgosh regrows lost limbs in 2d4 days, or half that amount if it hibernates for that time.

Earthtied (Ex): An Oomgosh not in contact with the ground loses its One With The Forest and Whispers Of The Forest abilities. These may be regained by spending one full minute in restful meditation in contact with the ground.

Whispers Of The Forest (Su): An Oomgosh's awareness extends beyond their immediate presence. The Oomgosh may treat any plant within 100 feet of itself as its location for any purposes apart from melee attacks, including this ability and Spot and Listen checks.

There Will Always Be An Oomgosh (Su): An Oomgosh will, from time to time, form a bond with another creature. It does this out of compassion and friendship, and gradually teaches it to take on the mantle of an Oomgosh, almost by accident. If an Oomgosh would be killed but has not yet formed such a bond, then instead it enters a coma for 2d10 months, during which time it is buried beneath the ground and cannot be reached by any mortal means. A creature with whom the Oomgosh shares this form of bond gains the One With The Forest ability, and metamorphoses into an Oomgosh instantly upon the current Oomgosh dieing.

Temotei
2010-01-16, 12:37 AM
Track for a plant. That's a new one. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Actually, it might not be. I don't usually look at plants that much.

Fortuna
2010-01-16, 03:29 AM
Thanks. Now can I have some actual critique, people? Please?

Debihuman
2010-01-16, 01:11 PM
Flat-footed is 13 not 14. You don't subtract negative Dex to flat-footed.

For an 8 HD monster, it has a lot of special abilities and many of those are quite powerful or a least have a long range. I think you should consider increasing the number of Hit Dice to at least 12. I think you've underestimated the creature's CR. You have to account for it being able to rain tears dealing 1d6 points of bludgeon damage at will for example. I think those should be standard actions not at will actions.

What is the ability that is the basis for the Reflex save of Oomgosh's Call?

Debby

Fortuna
2010-01-16, 02:20 PM
Having made those changes, what CR does it belong at? I initially used Vorpal_Tribble's CR calculation formula, but came out with 8.5-ish, so I guessed 9.

Debihuman
2010-01-16, 02:57 PM
With the changes, I think CR 9 is about right. Environment is spelled wrong as is Challenge. You should consider using a better stat block.

Debby