PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Magister (3.e)

Lord Denyuar
2010-01-15, 10:50 PM
My DM is starting a new campaign (very high level) and he is allowing me to have the Magister template from Magic of Faerun. I have my build and all spells but problem I am in need of help is on two items from the Magister Template. It is giving me immunity to all enchantment spells and effects and psionics, immunity to all forms of magical writing, as well as giving me a permanent Mind Blank (heightened to level 10). It also gives me immunity to one spell of each level (1-9) and one spell of each level (1-9) that I can cast 1/day as a spell-like ability. My plea is such that I haven't a clue which spells to pick for spell-like abilities and immunities so I present to my favorite community of players, what would you pick?

Harperfan7
2010-01-15, 11:58 PM
Build your character as if he didn't have them, then cover your weakspots.

Or go the logicninjas guide to being batman and pick from the list provided.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-16, 12:12 AM
For the SLAs, unless it specifies you still need to pay XP for them, go with wish and limited wish for 9th and 7th, respectively. Not to do anything cheesy with them (you're already getting away with Magister, don't push it) but so that you can duplicate other spells or have an ace in the hole for tricky situations. Your DM may or may not like that, so check first.

As to other suggestions, I'd put death ward in there as an SLA as well as implosion as a spell guarded against, as it isn't a [Death] spell and thus not negated by death ward. At very high levels, your foremost concern is going to be negating all of the horrible ways your opponents can kill you, so getting immunity to most save-or-dies or save-or-sucks is paramount. Second-biggest priority is getting places, so greater teleport and plane shift (or gate, if your DM vetoes wish) should also probably make the list.

If you put up the build you're planning, I can get a bit more specific, but those are some general tips that should help any build.

deuxhero
2010-01-16, 12:36 AM
Take ID as your first level SLA if it's free. A standard action ID for free is pretty neat if you don't have acess to one of the 3 dozen ways to get free iding alreddy.

Lord Denyuar
2010-01-16, 12:51 AM
The build is for 40 ECL so Wizard 7/War Wizard of Comyr 5/Arcane Devotee 5/Argent Savant 5/Archmage 5/Force Missile Mage 10 (from your's truely Giantitp Forums) with 3 level adjustment for Magister. My main focus will have mostly all item creation feats (they have been reduced in number) some metamagic feats (all magic missile spells are silent, stilled, invisible, and empowered), epic spellcasting without breaking game. I will also be wearing 4 rings (from Extra Ring feat) and I was thinking of making 4 rings of wizardry (1-9) each that would cost me 1.5 mil each for 20 spells per level 1+ with bonus spells while only taking 10 minutes to set up each day (or half the time later on to fill in empty spots). That is basic of build. I haven't played a wizard at all before and this will mainly be 3.0 with pick and choose stuff from 3.5 when we want. My DM has stated that by that level I will have practically every spell known and I will be printing crystal keeps 3.0 spells list. I however be good so I will not have any vile darkness spells (though I might know of them if I need immunity as Magister).

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-16, 04:57 AM
The build is for 40 ECL

[...]

I haven't played a wizard at all before

Hoo boy. Have fun with that....

In that case, it looks like your own spells should suffice to cover most of your weaknesses. The spells you're really going to need protecting from, then, are those that disable your magic. See if your DM will let you get "immunity" to antimagic field, Mordenkainen's disjunction, and the various dispels--as I recall, the Magister's immunities don't specify targeted spells, so that should work, but I could be wrong--and hash out exactly what that would entail.

Really, any other immunity you could possibly ever wish for you could cover with epic casting, items, spells, or other things at your disposal.