PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] NPC Equipment Advice

Drakevarg
2010-01-15, 10:58 PM
I'm making an NPC for my campaign, a Cleric 6/Master Vampire 2 Human Vampire, who is the local leader of a necromantic cult that has effectively taken over a city of 10,000 by way of zombie apocalypse. (The zombies in question are basically standard zombies with a modified ghoul fever, in case you're curious.)

Anywho, in his last appearance he was merely a 6th level Cleric, so at the moment he has the equipment of such. (Specifically, an Unholy Morningstar, a +2 Cloak of Charisma, and a +2 Periapt of Wisdom.)

The question here is: what items do you think it is appropriate for an 8th level character (ECL 16) to have on him?

Please keep it to the books I actually have, which is Core + Libris Mortis.

Lysander
2010-01-15, 11:37 PM
A bag of holding he keeps a few zombies in for portable minions.

Crow
2010-01-15, 11:39 PM
Make sure you're using the NPC wealth by level. Pg. 127 DMG It's not the same as PC wealth by level.

Anything you give this guy, you must count on your players ending up with. A Robe of Bones (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#robeofBones) would be really fitting.

Drakevarg
2010-01-15, 11:42 PM
@Lysander: This is a (relatively) low-magic campaign, and I'm iffy about Bags of Holding. Not to mention he's practically guarenteed to have an honor guard of at least half a dozen vampire spawn on hand...

@Crow: Unlikely. They're starting the campaign at level 1. He could kill them with a thought. Fortunately, he's rather friendly for someone bent about bringing about a dystopian hell. And generally too busy to deal with rabble. But he's important to the story, so best have him written up, eh what?

deuxhero
2010-01-15, 11:43 PM
Suddenly, nightsticks! Thousands of them!

though CD is out of access to you so...

If you are up for homebrew (being the DM and all), you may want to look at Tome Of Necromancy (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tome_of_Necromancy_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29)

Drakevarg
2010-01-15, 11:45 PM
As I said, I prefer to stick to books I own and homebrews of my own design. Keeps the game world thematically consistant.

deuxhero
2010-01-16, 12:06 AM
Anyways 28,000 gp to work with (or is NPC wealth seperate from the encounter reward (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/treasure.htm), I'd recomend Feather Token:Tree, because if you can't find a use for an instant 12000 cubic foot tree, you are doing it wrong.

Drakevarg
2010-01-16, 12:10 AM
Keep in mind that this character has been living in a zombie-infested city for the past year and is not a crafter himself, meaning the only things he'd have access to would be the stuff already in the city at the time of outbreak(mind, the city's highest level character not including himself was the level 5 captain of the guard) or whatever could be smuggled in by boat... to a city that's, again, been wisely avoided like the plague by trade ships.

Not saying he wouldn't have access to trinckets, but he wouldn't have access to ridiculously over-the-top trinckets.

...though instant tree would be hilarious.

Drakevarg
2010-01-16, 12:22 AM
Right now I'm thinking Periapt of Wisdom +4, and Flesh Golem Manual. (He's a Necromantic Researcher by trade, and alternative means of development seem perfectly reasonable.)

deuxhero
2010-01-16, 12:23 AM
Can he have brought anything with him?

Well obviously he wants a wisdom booster so
Periapt of Wisdom +4 (16,000 gp)
That leaves 12000 left
Can't have him without some protection
Mithral Shirt (2100)
Give him a Noble’s outfit for the classic vampire look (75, say the armor is hidden under it) (75)
As mentioned above Tree Token x2 (400)
5825 left
Gloves of Titan’s Grip puts you over the limit, but helps him zuck their vlood, I need to figure out how to price a +4 or +6 version. If not, just give him some Gauntlets of Ogre Power +2 (2000)
Invest the remaining 3000 or so in mundane or ultra low cost magic items

I'd go with boots of longstrider (1st level spell*caster level min 1*2000=2000) for +10 speed, and a Faith Token (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051111a&page=5) that can cast prestidigitation and or ghost sound.

Drakevarg
2010-01-16, 12:32 AM
Well, he's a cleric and acts the part, so he's got his humble-looking faction robes. As for armor... yeah, I suppose he could do mithral.

As for stuff brought with him... that'd be the gear in the first post. Guantlets of Ogre Power, sure. Then the Flesh Golem Manual, take things out and return em as I get too much stuff...

Okay, I think I've got what I need. Thanks, guys.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-16, 10:40 AM
I don't have much in the way of suggestions for items, though you might want to steer clear of that periapt, or at least consider stepping it down to a +2, he's already got a +2 racial from being a vamp, and if you push his DC's too high you could find yourself making him more dangerous than you intended. You said this was a low-magic campaign so, bear in mind that whatever you give him is loot so don't give him anything you don't want the PC's to have.