PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Suggestions for an Epic Martial Adept?

TaintedLight
2010-01-16, 02:18 AM
I'm using an epic extension (ECL 30) of the Archon of Nine build that somebody posted here a week and a half or so ago but am finding it difficult to come up with some solutions to a few problems. Namely, I have no idea how the character will deal with ability drain (annoyingly common at epic levels) or incorporeal enemies. The weapon I wield could change, but if there is a manuever that I could use instead that would be far more implementable for backstory reasons. The weapon in question is a +6 Keen Flaming Blurstrike Lightning Blast Shortsword (legacy weapon with custom adjustments to epic legacy abilities by the DM).

The build includes five levels of Master of Nine which the DM and I worked out that continues the pattern of manuevers known, manuevers readied, and stances known but in place of class features just grants a bonus feat at sixth and tenth level. With 11 manuevers left to choose, I need to find an answer to ability damage and incorporeality/etherealness. Halp?

Mongoose87
2010-01-16, 02:23 AM
I think the 9th level Devoted Spirit Maneuver gives you a Heal, which would eal with ability drain would it not? Otherwise, Iron Heart Surge it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-16, 02:31 AM
A Ghost Touch weapon easily deals with incorporeal miss chance. Alternatively, you could get a Ghost Shroud from the Magic Item Compendium, it's only 5k so pay double for it to not take up an item space on you.

TaintedLight
2010-01-16, 02:50 AM
I think the 9th level Devoted Spirit Maneuver gives you a Heal, which would eal with ability drain would it not? Otherwise, Iron Heart Surge it.

Heal specifically doesn't help with ability drain and I'm pretty sure that once you're drained the Surge doesn't do anything.

As for the Ghost Shroud, I will definitely look into it.

How does the shroud not take up a space if I pay 10K?

Emmerask
2010-01-16, 02:54 AM
ghostblight weapon capsules ([CAdv p122] 100gp each) and a triple weapon capsule retainer (450gp) would give your weapon 9 rounds worth of ghost touch ability.
If you donīt have someone to give you ghost touch (I think there is a cleric or druid group buff for that) or have the option to alter your weapon further ;)

Emmerask
2010-01-16, 02:57 AM
How does the shroud not take up a space if I pay 10K?

custom magic item rules - check with your dm if he allows it or not :smallwink:

TaintedLight
2010-01-16, 03:00 AM
custom magic item rules - check with your dm if he allows it or not :smallwink:

I'm fairly certain he's not going to go for "10K out of your 4,300,000, you have permanent ghost touch." However, I think my body slot is currently open anyways :D.

Glimbur
2010-01-16, 01:04 PM
There's the Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting from MiC that will make your attacks hit incorporeals.

Look in to Soulfire armor from the Book of Exalted Deeds to deal with ability drain, negative levels, etc. It's pricey but powerful.

Darrin
2010-01-16, 03:33 PM
I'm using an epic extension (ECL 30) of the Archon of Nine build that somebody posted here a week and a half or so ago

Cool! Thanks. I'd love to hear how it goes.

Namely, I have no idea how the character will deal with ability drain (annoyingly common at epic levels) or incorporeal enemies.

Hmm. You might want to consider the Necropolitan template (Libris Mortis p. 114). That would give you immunity to ability drain, among other things.

Otherwise, consider dabbling a bit into Magic of Incarnum. Start with an Azurin, take Midnight Dodge, Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest, and Open Greater Chakra: Waist. This allows you to put 2 essentia into your Strongheart vest, which will stop 3 points of ability drain.

If you're looking for items that prevent ability drain... well, there's the Bone Ring in MIC, but the version is Ghostwalk is better (50 charges rather than 3 charges per day, price: 36K vs. 20K). Also in the MIC, Talisman of Undying Fortitude is extremely affordable for what it does: 8K for 3 rounds of immune to everything nasty.

As far as incorporeal/ethereal, there have been several great suggestions so far. Ghost Shroud is great, as are Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting (cheaper, only 4K, and they do an extra 1d6 damage vs. incorporeal). Ghostblight capsules are the cheapest option. Here's some other ideas:

You already have Blind-Fight. My build suggests picking up Mage Slayer and Pierce Magical Concealment, which should solve the problem with miss chance due to incoroporeal/ethereal. If you have the feats available, that is.

Add a Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape, 100 GP) and a Wand of Gravestrike (750 GP) to your weapon. If you have enough skillpoints, buy some ranks in UMD, and you can cast Gravestrike as a swift action.

Try checking with your DM on Astral Driftmetal (Planar Handbook). The book only lists it as a material available for armors, but see if your DM would be willing to let you make your weapon out of it. The description says its fully effective against incorporeal, "as if it were made of force". No price is listed for weapons, but +12000 GP (market price for armor) isn't a bad guess.

Otherwise, make the weapon out of Riverine (Stormwrack p. 128). It's basically water encased in walls of force, so it should work against incorporeal/ethereal. Price for a weapon should be 2000 GP per pound of weight.

You can save some more money on your weapon by buying Bracers of Lightning (MIC p. 206, 11000 GP) instead of the Shock property. Instead of Flaming, buy a Lesser Crystal of Energy Assault (Acid or Cold). You can add fire damage with a Wand Chamber (as above) and a Wand of Blades of Fire (Spell Compendium p. 31).

I'd avoid the burst abilities... why pay good money on an ability that isn't going to do anything on at least 90% of your attacks? Although Prismatic Burst might be worth it... 30K as a fixed price, so you'll have to futz around with the prices and see if it would be cheaper.

Also consider some of the {blank} Surge and templates from DMG II. Caustic Surge, for example, is only 2000 GP to add. Swift action to activate (which stinks for a Martial Adept character, since you usually need all your swift actions for more important things), but you can activate it after a hit whenever you like and thus make sure you never waste any uses. DC scales up (slowly) by character level, and number of uses scales up based on your Con bonus. Brutal Surge gives you some free bull rushes. And Sudden Stunning... well, who doesn't love a little stunning now and then? As far as templates... ok, most are pretty situational, but Pitspawned is probably worth it: +2 to confirm crits for only 1000 GP.