PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Certain Flavor 3.5 (My Players Stay Out)

FerhagoRosewood
2010-01-16, 02:23 AM
So in my sandbox that's basically a mix of Alice in Wonderland meets Clockwork Knight, I have a small region upcoming that's in a tropical jungle. And in there is a civilization of Goblins that behave very much like the Aztec people. Sacrifices, using dominance to control the small settlements around it, and the like.

So I was wondering if there was ever any prestige classes or anything I should look up to incorporate in this settling. I already have ideas to use bards (dancing & drums) but I need more.

So, my friends, what do you suggest?

Crow
2010-01-16, 02:24 AM
I swear there was a PrC that allowed casters to use blood to power their spells. Maybe someone else can help with a reference.

Could be good for some sacrificial flavor.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-16, 02:38 AM
Blood Magus? I think there's also a Mahou Tsukai or however it's spelled in Oriental Adventures. Asian blood-magic-person like what they have in Legend of the Five Rings.

BobVosh
2010-01-16, 02:46 AM
I believe the fan update for dark sun has some stuff like that. Mainly to become the dragon-god, but I think they have a few other things. Maybe use a variant from the ritual casting on the red mages that require sacrifices?

FerhagoRosewood
2010-01-16, 04:53 PM
Welp, here goes a bump.

Good ideas so far. But how about something for a chief too?

hamishspence
2010-01-16, 05:06 PM
I swear there was a PrC that allowed casters to use blood to power their spells. Maybe someone else can help with a reference.

Could be good for some sacrificial flavor.

Unearthed Arcana had "tainted mage" which did this, Heroes of Horror has an alternative version.

Forever Curious
2010-01-16, 05:12 PM
Um, Rainbow Servant from Complete Divine is Aztec flavor. Not sure about it's mechanics.

FerhagoRosewood
2010-01-19, 04:09 PM
What about more evil based classes?

I guess what I'm wondering is if Dragon Magazine ever touched on the Aztec culture.

Another_Poet
2010-01-19, 04:48 PM
Consider using Druids who wildshape into (or ride on) jaguars. For lower level scrubs, use goblins who can wildshape into jaguars but don't have the other Druid benefits. Use the Nasty Monster of your choice for the jaguar stats of course.

I would definitely allow goblin warrior to either regain hit points or fire off one-use spells by sacrificing enemies on the battlefield. Basically, every Coup de Grace a goblin performs comes with an added side-benefit. Of course you'll want to include a whole pile of innocent villagers or slaves to act as sacrifice fodder in one encounter so the PCs can see its full power.

Optimystik
2010-01-19, 05:24 PM
Spirit Shamans (CDiv) could fit such a setting.

Also consider Chult (the jungle setting from FR) for inspiration.

Draz74
2010-01-19, 05:30 PM
Dragon Shamans could work, too. Not great BBEGs, but great sidekicks.

FishAreWet
2010-01-19, 05:33 PM
I guess what I'm wondering is if Dragon Magazine ever touched on the Aztec culture.

Yes it did. There was a couple issues on it actually.

But I don't remember them.

FerhagoRosewood
2010-01-19, 07:25 PM
Consider using Druids who wildshape into (or ride on) jaguars. For lower level scrubs, use goblins who can wildshape into jaguars but don't have the other Druid benefits. Use the Nasty Monster of your choice for the jaguar stats of course.

I would definitely allow goblin warrior to either regain hit points or fire off one-use spells by sacrificing enemies on the battlefield. Basically, every Coup de Grace a goblin performs comes with an added side-benefit. Of course you'll want to include a whole pile of innocent villagers or slaves to act as sacrifice fodder in one encounter so the PCs can see its full power.

Wow, looking at it, Druid seems such an obvious choice that I feel stupid for not involving them in this area.

Spirit Shamans (CDiv) could fit such a setting.

Also consider Chult (the jungle setting from FR) for inspiration.

Didn't care for Spirit Shaman when I looked over them before, but that was also for another setting in my world. Maybe it's worth a re-check.

This place is a jungle temperate, so this sounds fitting like you said. What book would this be in?

Dragon Shamans could work, too. Not great BBEGs, but great sidekicks.

Could work. I'm not too familiar with them. But in this setting the whole dragons are constructs. Would that interfere with the class?

Yes it did. There was a couple issues on it actually.

But I don't remember them.

Bugger.

T.T

El Dorado
2010-01-19, 10:47 PM
The Dragondex (http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/) says there were Aztec articles in issues 352, 354, 356, and 358 of Dragon Magazine. There was also a Maztica article (Forgotten Realms Aztec setting) in issue 315.

FerhagoRosewood
2010-01-20, 02:36 AM
Sweet. Thanks!