PDA

View Full Version : What musicians would you like to see collaborate?

Krade
2010-01-16, 03:55 AM
I don't know why, but it took me WAY too long to come up with the thread title. I guess I just think too much...

Anyway, just like the title says, which two (or more) musicians/bands/composers/etc would you like to see collaborate and why do you think it would be the most awesome (or terrible, if you're into that kind of thing) thing in the world?

Myself? I was thinking Regina Spektor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oGrwGCRImY) (I was looking for her song, Après Moi, but I couldn't find a non-live version of it on YouTube) and Nobuo Uematso, Final Fantasy's (former) composer.

I think that with Spektor's gorgeous voice and ability to write wierd yet oddly touching lyrics would make some of the most beautiful music with Uematso's superior piano compositions. Don't get me wrong though, Spektor (also the name and spelling of a monster from FFVI. Coincidence? Probably:smalltongue:) is good pianist in her own right, but Uematso got her beat by a fair bit.

Innis Cabal
2010-01-16, 04:13 AM
Serge Tankian and Amy Lee. That is all.

Starscream
2010-01-16, 09:30 AM
Weird Al & Johnathan Coulton. That would no doubt be hilarious.

The Glyphstone
2010-01-16, 09:34 AM
Weird Al & Johnathan Coulton. That would no doubt be hilarious.

This undoubtedly, +1.

Gaelbert
2010-01-16, 02:37 PM
Stephen Adler, Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, Slash, and Axl Rose.

Raistlin1040
2010-01-16, 02:42 PM
Stephen Adler, Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, Slash, and Axl Rose.

Wait a second...

Sneak
2010-01-16, 02:47 PM
TV On The Radio, The Flaming Lips, and Yeasayer.

PhoeKun
2010-01-16, 03:39 PM
Jack Black and Jack White.

...No, really.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-16, 03:50 PM
Jack Black and Jack White.

...No, really.

WINWINWINWINWINWINWINWIN

Congratulations, you have earned an internet.

reorith
2010-01-16, 05:37 PM
Trent Reznor + lady gaga. that would be epic.

Jinura
2010-01-16, 05:43 PM
David Bowie and Queen

... Right that already happened..

What about we set the time back to 1975 and Queen and Bowie Join together.. A hard rocking, semi-progressive, glam, song with science fiction and fantasy lyrics at the same time... That would be so awesome..

GenPol
2010-01-17, 03:42 PM
Steven Adler, Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, Slash, and Axl Rose.

+10 :smallbiggrin:

Fixed "Steven" for you:smallsmile:

Raistlin1040
2010-01-17, 04:45 PM
I'm doing this as a game, which I invite you all to play as well. Shuffle your iPod/Zune/whatever, and get the first two bands that come up. Figure out how it could work. You don't have to use all the members of either band, though you can.

Examples:
The Police+David Bowie

David Bowie decides to tackle Reggae/Punk as his next genre of choice. Noting the importance of a reggae bassline, he enlists Sting as his bassist and backup vocalist. After many attempts at finding a suitable drummer, Sting suggests Stewart Copeland. Initially, the atmosphere is filled with tension, but with Bowie singing and writing much of the songs, Sting and Copeland are able to reconcile their differences. Hearing of his former bandmates' reunion, Andy Summers comes to a sessions and the four jam. Mike Garson is then invited by Bowie to come and play piano and keyboards, tinging the music with his avant-garde sensibilites.

Metallica+System of a Down

Cliff Burton and Kirk Hammett get involved in an argument with Lars and James over the musical direction of the band. Lars asserts that Metallica is "his band", and Cliff leaves, fed up with the dictatorship. Kirk soon follows. Out of work but still wishing to play music, the duo look through ads in magazines for a band to join. They discover that Serj Tankian's solo band has been mostly disbanded, leaving only the singer and John Dolmayan. They audition, and Serj is impressed. He pulls out some rough demos that he'd done with just his vocals and John and asks the former Metallica members to work around them. Two guitar solos and a bass solo later, it's some badass metal.

KISS+Marilyn Manson

Paul Stanley's comment that KISS could continue without any of the original members is proven true as Gene quits music to focus on his Reality Show and Paul relinquishes his mic and guitar to a new vocalist and rythym player. He writes for the new KISS. Ace hears this news and calls Paul, saying that it's not KISS without at least one original member. Paul replies that Ace has been kicked out twice and isn't a member anymore. Ace decides to start his own glam band, both to harken back to his Spaceman days, and to topple the new KISS. Meanwhile, Marilyn Manson, in-between phases, attempts to get get back to his Mechanical Animals days. Twiggy Ramirez at his side, the two attempt to find a competent glam guitarist. After weeks of searching, they find Ace, struggling to find a singer and bassist, after reuniting with Peter Criss. The four rehearse, and after an initially rocky beginning, they find a nice middle-ground between Manson's darker industrial glam and the stadium glam of old-school KISS.

thompur
2010-01-17, 04:46 PM
Debbie Boone and Anthrax!:smallwink::xykon:

toasty
2010-01-17, 08:51 PM
I'm doing this as a game, which I invite you all to play as well. Shuffle your iPod/Zune/whatever, and get the first two bands that come up. Figure out how it could work. You don't have to use all the members of either band, though you can.

POD+DragonForce

Sam Totman and Herman Li decide that ZP Theart, while amazing, isn't FAST ENOUGH. So they find themselves a Rapper from the Ghettos of America who is FASTER than ZP Theart. The combination is REALLY FAST.

Epica + Killswitch Engage

Simone and Mark decide to find themselves a new male vocalist and a guitarist. Realizing that KSE is really, really cool and has made a big slash on American markets, they convince Adam. D and Howard Jones to team up with them. The combination is Symphonic, Gothic, Metalcore.

Actually, I could somehow see that band being really good...

Switchfoot and Evanesence

Okay... Really, I have no idea. Jon Foreman realizes he a bad vocalist and hires Amy Lee because she realizes that Alt. Rock is the way to go with her new album?

Jayngfet
2010-01-17, 09:39 PM
The JAM project+ Dragonforce

These two forces, each epic in their own way, combine to form an even more epic group. It's essentially nothing but songs on how mecha heroes struggle against EVIL AND DARKNESS, fighting through insanity and pain with BURNING BLOOD and STEEL SPIRITS.

Sneak
2010-01-17, 09:54 PM

I tried this game for a while. Here are my favorites (for various reasons).

Jimi Hendrix + Orpheus Chamber Orchestra:

Orchestral Jimi Hendrix? SIGN ME UP!

Animal Collective + Dr. Octagon:

Weird, but I think it could work.

U2 + Bear McCreary:

U2 plus world music tendencies? Interesting.

A Tribe Called Quest + Manu Chao:

I guess Tribe would be using Manu Chao's samples or something? I'm sure they could do something with Bongo Bong.

Art Brut + The Beatles:

Hurhurhur.

Bob Dylan + The Beach Boys:

OH GOD! Just the THOUGHT of Beach Boys style harmonies with Bob Dylan's voice makes me sick.

The Flaming Lips + Itzhak Perlman, Pinchas Zukerman, English Chamber Orchestra:

I am intrigued by what the Lips would do with a full orchestra at their disposal.

The Shins + The Thermals

Not quite sure how this would work.

Grateful Dead + The Beatles:

Could definitely work, IMO.

The Velvet Underground + Gogol Bordello:

Um?

Bob Dylan + Nick Drake:

Not too much of a stretch, I think.

The Shins + Iron & Wine

Again, not too much of a stretch.

Andrew Jackson Jihad + P.O.S.

Dunno how this would work, but I'd like to hear it.

SDF
2010-01-17, 11:59 PM
My first result for the itunes randomization was Outkast and Bright Eyes. I immediately decided this can never happen, ever.

How about Brody Dalle and Will Shef. That would be the weirdest collaboration I'd ever want to hear.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-18, 12:33 AM
Snip'd

I like this idea.

LCD Soundsystm+TV On the Radio

James Murphy, after several LCD Soundsystem albums, decides to explore something different. After producing a TVotR album, he begins jamming with Dave Sitek and Tunde. With Kyp Malone's falsetto absent, Tunde's rather gritty brand of hip-hop shines through. Murphy's overdubbed drums, bass, and synths, replace the rest of TV on the Radio. The average song would, more or less, be Tunde rapping over Murphy's beats, with Sitek's craziness topping everything off. :smallbiggrin:

James Murphy-Drums, Bass, Synth, Samplers
Dave Sitek-Guitar, Synth
Tunde Adebimpe-Vocals, Samplers

The Mars Volta+King Crimson

King Crimson opens for The Mars Volta on one of their tours. Robert Fripp is impressed with TMV's energy and originality, and is bored with Adrian Belew's vocals. After the tour, he approaches Omar Rodriquez, and a collaboration ensues. Fripp's tentatively named "Project V" consists of himself, Tony Levin, Marcel and Omar Rodriquez, Pat Mastelloto, and Cedric Bixler. Fripp uses his soundscapes to contrast Omar's rather spikey playing, and fuzz abounds with both guitarists. Marcel contributes Latin percussion to Mastelotto's electronic inspired drum sounds, as well as a healthy amount of electronic glitches and noise of his own. Levin's Chapman Stick provides yet another voice, and Cedric's vocals perfectly suite the cacophony. :smallcool:

Robert Fripp-Guitar, Soundscapes
Omar Rodriquez Lopez-Guitar
Marcel Rodriquez Lopez-Percussion, Electronics, Keyboards
Pat Mastelotto-Drums, Electronics
Tony Levin-Bass, Chapman Stick
Cedric Bixler Xavala-Vocals, Percussion

The Extinguisher
2010-01-18, 01:11 AM
I would honestly love to see the boys from Alexisonfire do some guest vocals for 65daysofstatic. I really enjoyed how the wrote the dual vocals for The Conspiracy of Seeds and I think that Dallas and George would do amazing things backed by beautiful post-rock.

Decoy Lockbox
2010-01-18, 02:52 AM
Jethro Tull and 50 cent. Ian Anderson drops 20 hits of acid, calls fiddy into the studio, and they bang that sh*t out. I would pay legal tender for this record, but, alas, it must be confined to my dreams.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-18, 06:20 AM
As I said earlier(but forum ate my post. v.v)
Rapalje+omnia+eluveitie+korpiklaani+flogging Molly.

Damn crowded stage, but the results if they worked toghetter.....

:smallamused::smallcool::smallbiggrin:

Ashen Lilies
2010-01-18, 06:40 AM
Hmm... I tried the game and got:
Standard 440 Hz Tone + Prince
For some reason, I am of the strong opinion that would kick so many kinds of ass, it wouldn't even be funny.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-18, 02:29 PM
Jethro Tull and 50 cent. Ian Anderson drops 20 hits of acid, calls fiddy into the studio, and they bang that sh*t out. I would pay legal tender for this record, but, alas, it must be confined to my dreams.

I love you so hard. :smallredface:

Decoy Lockbox
2010-01-18, 03:26 PM
I love you so hard. :smallredface:

I love me too. Hey, if anybody reading this can do mashups, how bout doing me 'n' Moff a solid and mashing up "Ring out Solstice Bells (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qcPS-J0HTg)" with "In Da Club (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qm8PH4xAss)"?

Mathis
2010-01-18, 03:51 PM
I think I'd like to see Ennio Morricone do something with Chris Cornell. Yeah, Im weird like that. Morricone does a great job no matter what he makes, but Cornell is very up and down so the outcome would vary Im afraid. Hopefully they would make lots of music together so that the chances of actually making something memorable are increased.

Jinura
2010-01-18, 06:19 PM

Examples:
The Police+David Bowie

David Bowie decides to tackle Reggae/Punk as his next genre of choice. Noting the importance of a reggae bassline, he enlists Sting as his bassist and backup vocalist. After many attempts at finding a suitable drummer, Sting suggests Stewart Copeland. Initially, the atmosphere is filled with tension, but with Bowie singing and writing much of the songs, Sting and Copeland are able to reconcile their differences. Hearing of his former bandmates' reunion, Andy Summers comes to a sessions and the four jam. Mike Garson is then invited by Bowie to come and play piano and keyboards, tinging the music with his avant-garde sensibilites.

Metallica+System of a Down

Cliff Burton and Kirk Hammett get involved in an argument with Lars and James over the musical direction of the band. Lars asserts that Metallica is "his band", and Cliff leaves, fed up with the dictatorship. Kirk soon follows. Out of work but still wishing to play music, the duo look through ads in magazines for a band to join. They discover that Serj Tankian's solo band has been mostly disbanded, leaving only the singer and John Dolmayan. They audition, and Serj is impressed. He pulls out some rough demos that he'd done with just his vocals and John and asks the former Metallica members to work around them. Two guitar solos and a bass solo later, it's some badass metal.

KISS+Marilyn Manson

Paul Stanley's comment that KISS could continue without any of the original members is proven true as Gene quits music to focus on his Reality Show and Paul relinquishes his mic and guitar to a new vocalist and rythym player. He writes for the new KISS. Ace hears this news and calls Paul, saying that it's not KISS without at least one original member. Paul replies that Ace has been kicked out twice and isn't a member anymore. Ace decides to start his own glam band, both to harken back to his Spaceman days, and to topple the new KISS. Meanwhile, Marilyn Manson, in-between phases, attempts to get get back to his Mechanical Animals days. Twiggy Ramirez at his side, the two attempt to find a competent glam guitarist. After weeks of searching, they find Ace, struggling to find a singer and bassist, after reuniting with Peter Criss. The four rehearse, and after an initially rocky beginning, they find a nice middle-ground between Manson's darker industrial glam and the stadium glam of old-school KISS.

All right let's do this:

Dire Straits and Queen

Freddie Mercury gathers the rest of the band ( he's back from the dead baby! :smallsmile: ) and Mark Knopfler ( Or how you spell his name )
comes around for a jam. The result being a 7 minute long soft rock song with 33% distorted guitar solos by Brian may. 33% bluesy guitar solos. And 33% perfect vocal deliverance.

David Bowie and Queen

As the one in my earlier post :smallconfused:

The Eagles and Pink Floyd

Tons of drug references I guess, dark lyrics half the time and light easy going lyrics the other half. It would also shift between upbeat and downbeat often and be in some freakisly annoying time signature like : 12/19½

Elton John and The Rolling Stones

A blues, piano driven, old times rock n' roll song about the days when rock was young (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IncrediblyLamePun)

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-18, 06:21 PM
I think I'd love to see virtually any artist collaborate with Warren Zevon...if Zevon were still alive. :smallfrown:

The Extinguisher
2010-01-18, 06:51 PM
So I tried that game, and I got:

Emily Haynes and Nine Inch Nails.

You know... I don't even know how that would work. But it would probably be something amazing.

Finn Solomon
2010-01-19, 01:36 AM
The Dresden Dolls (with Amanda F Palmer) and the White Stripes.

Krade
2010-01-19, 06:00 AM
Wow, thanks for making my thread more interesting:smallbiggrin:

I did it and I got Pink Floyd and Jethro tull.
That one would probably be pretty awesome.

Next one: Panic at the Disco and Moody Blues?
I have no idea how that one could work, could be fun though.

One more: Apocalyptica and The Beatles.
Okay, the genre mixing has to stop before it fries my brain.

Nameless
2010-01-19, 06:26 AM
Alexi Laiho (Guitar), Petri Lindroos (Guitar), Steve Harris (Bass), Jan Axel Blomberg (Drums) and Mozart (Keyboard).
Oh, and perhaps either Bach or Vivaldi to conduct the orchestra.

Most epic band. EVAH!

Decoy Lockbox
2010-01-19, 05:37 PM
Alexi Laiho (Guitar), Petri Lindroos (Guitar), Steve Harris (Bass), Jan Axel Blomberg (Drums) and Mozart (Keyboard).

Most epic band. EVAH!

Maybye if we started a letter writing campaign we could get this made. Well, we'd have to resurrect Mozart, but I'm sure the power of metal could do it. Or we would summon his ghost via some sort of occult ritual, ask him what notes to play, then hire a studio pianist to play it.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-19, 07:51 PM
On a related note: The Mars Volta (Lets say, Frances the Mute era, because that includes Flea) versus Slipknot in a large fight? The only weapons allowed are fists, guitars, mask-spikes, afro-ninja powers, and of course, the power of RAWK! TMV has seven members, and Slipknot has nine. Keep in mind, though, that TMV is from Tha Ghetto. :smallamused:

Ozreth
2010-01-20, 01:25 AM
I don't know why, but it took me WAY too long to come up with the thread title. I guess I just think too much...

Anyway, just like the title says, which two (or more) musicians/bands/composers/etc would you like to see collaborate and why do you think it would be the most awesome (or terrible, if you're into that kind of thing) thing in the world?

Myself? I was thinking Regina Spektor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oGrwGCRImY) (I was looking for her song, Après Moi, but I couldn't find a non-live version of it on YouTube) and Nobuo Uematso, Final Fantasy's (former) composer.

I think that with Spektor's gorgeous voice and ability to write wierd yet oddly touching lyrics would make some of the most beautiful music with Uematso's superior piano compositions. Don't get me wrong though, Spektor (also the name and spelling of a monster from FFVI. Coincidence? Probably:smalltongue:) is good pianist in her own right, but Uematso got her beat by a fair bit.

This is PERFECT. I love them both.

toasty
2010-01-20, 03:22 AM

Most epic band. EVAH!

No vocalists? Not even for some parts?

Decoy Lockbox
2010-01-21, 07:08 PM
No vocalists? Not even for some parts?

He probably assumed that Alexi would handle them.

TheBST
2010-01-21, 07:16 PM
Living: Tom Waits & Nick Cave

Dead: Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix.

zeratul
2010-01-21, 07:37 PM
i have two pretty awesome colaborative supergroup ideas

Folk Metal supergroup!
Vocals: Heri Joensen(Tyr)
lead guitar: Petri Lindroose (Ensiferum, Norther)
Rythm Guitar: Arkadius Antonik (SuidAkrA)
Violin: Jussi Wickström (Turisas)
wind instruments and growled vocals: Chrigel Glanzmann (Eluveitie)
Bass: Sammi Hinnka (Ensiferum)
Drums: Simon O'Laoghaire ( Primordial)

Power Metal Supergroup!
Vocals: Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Lead Guitar: Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
Rythm Guitar: Oscar Dronjak (Hammerfall:
Bass: Marko Paasikoski (Sonata Arctica)
Drums: Thomen Stauch (Blind Guardian
keyboards: Markus Eurén (Moonsorrow)

Alexi in a power metal band would own face.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-22, 11:34 PM
Tom Waits & Nick Cave

'Twould be awesome, but they'd kinda get in eachother's way... :smallbiggrin:

Pezmerga
2010-01-23, 02:38 AM
Marillion and Fish....hehe :p

onthetown
2010-01-23, 09:44 AM
Natalie MacMaster and Ashley MacIsaac. Because they're my favourite fiddlers and they're both from around here in the Maritimes... Natalie does just about anything, Ashley does more of heavy metal rock techno fiddle. I don't know how to describe his music other than that, but the combo would be incredible :smallamused:

Wreckingrocc
2010-01-25, 02:27 AM

Most epic band. EVAH!+1.

When Sonata Arctica played on the radio a couple months ago, my dad thought it sounded like Beethoven was playing every instrument in a ridiculously over-the-top manner.

On an unrelated note...

Bruce Dickinson as the vocalist for Symphony X. It'd be interesting to hear him singing a few of their songs.

Krade
2010-01-25, 03:15 AM
When Sonata Arctica played on the radio a couple months ago, my dad thought it sounded like Beethoven was playing every instrument in a ridiculously over-the-top manner.

Where do you live that plays Sonata Arctica on the radio? I bet it's Europe. I've only ever met one person that's even heard of them and he was the one who turned me on to them.

Wreckingrocc
2010-01-25, 05:55 PM
Where do you live that plays Sonata Arctica on the radio? I bet it's Europe. I've only ever met one person that's even heard of them and he was the one who turned me on to them.Nah, US, Michigan, Detroit area.

I think it was some metal station when we were searching for something to listen to that wasn't pop, rap, or emo alt rock.

Lord of Rapture
2010-01-25, 06:06 PM
JAM Project, The Protomen, and The Megas.

Starting on Airman will not Die.

That is all.

Nameless
2010-01-25, 07:01 PM
He probably assumed that Alexi would handle them.

I would like to see both Petri and Alexi sing togethor. However, I also wanted guest vocals and some instrumental pieces.

Pauwel
2010-01-26, 03:51 PM
Shufflin'...

Camel and Chumbawamba

This could actually be really awesome, if done correctly. Contrasting the loudmouthedness of Chumbawambe with the moody, thoughtful melodies of Camel could be pretty interesting.

Tenacious D and The Jimi Hendrix Experience

... No.

Spock's Beard and Kent

Not too bad; bilingual lyrics and a bit more moodiness could suit Spock's Beard quite well.

On a related note: The Mars Volta (Lets say, Frances the Mute era, because that includes Flea) versus Slipknot in a large fight? The only weapons allowed are fists, guitars, mask-spikes, afro-ninja powers, and of course, the power of RAWK! TMV has seven members, and Slipknot has nine. Keep in mind, though, that TMV is from Tha Ghetto. :smallamused:

I'd like to think the Volta would win... but I can't honestly say I believe they would. =P It depends on how much of a difference the power of RAWK makes - that could definitely turn the tables, as could the power of crazy afros.
On the other hand... although TMV is from Tha Ghetto, they are all either under- or overweight (except for Flea), whereas Slipknot has several fairly buffed up members.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-26, 09:32 PM
Let's break this down.
In one corner, we have:
Omar-Rather skinny chap, but his afro is of epic proportions. I'd say, Sorcerer 10/Rogue 2?
Cedric-A tad more buff than Omar, but still skinny. Smaller afro as well. Sorcerer 6/Rogue 5.
Ikey-A big black dude from Long Beach who hauls around enormous synths. Fighter 8.
Jon-A small, white drummer. However, have you heard the dude play? Must have a Con of about 30. Barbarian 7.
Flea-He's the goddam Batman Flea.
Marcel-Even smaller than Omar, with not nearly the afro. Bard 4.
Adrian-Mexican Sax player. The power of Rock is strong in this one. Fighter 7.

In the other corner...
Sid-You can't even tell he's there. Obviously, a Cleric 6.
Joey-The kids got talent. :smallannoyed: Fighter 9
Paul-The bassist. Probably a bard or something.
Chris-What does he do again? Barbarian 4.
James-A fairly competent guitarist. Ranger 8.
Craig-For being the biggest tool in music, Monk 3.
Shawn-The only decently creative member. Wizard 7.
Mick-Whateva. Ranger 3.
Corey-Competent, but pretty unremarkable. Rogue 7.

Omar and Cedric can keep the lower leveled ones occupied, while Flea takes care of Joey and Shawn. Ikey shouldn't have much trouble with Corey, and Marcel, Jon, and Adrian can defend Omar and Cedric.

Advantage? TMV. :smallamused:

Munsi
2010-01-28, 04:48 AM
oooh, i wanna play!

Joe Jackson and Ben Folds would write either the funniest song in the world, or the saddest (depending on the mood they were in)

i'd also love to hear from Trent Reznor and Amanda Palmer.

Yrcrazypa
2010-01-30, 04:35 PM
I played that game and the first I got was Queen + The Bee Gees. Oddly enough, that could work quite well.

But as for ones I'd like to see? And I'm going to assume that everyone would still be alive for these.

Boston + Electric Light Orchestra

Queen + Rush

Heart + Led Zeppelin

Heart + Pink Floyd

Jimi Hendrix + Eric Clapton

And I could go on for quite awhile.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-30, 05:22 PM
David Bowie and Queen

... Right that already happened..

What about we set the time back to 1975 and Queen and Bowie Join together.. A hard rocking, semi-progressive, glam, song with science fiction and fantasy lyrics at the same time... That would be so awesome..
Isn't that what Muse are trying to do?

Anyhow, me, I want to get Kula Shaker to perform Jesus Christ Superstar ... other roles are yet to be cast.