PDA

View Full Version : Magical Fog and YOU

Rasman
2010-01-16, 04:26 AM
so...I had an evil idea for the campaign we're having tomorrow, but, I'm kinda short on time to file though all my books for rules or a catchy, but affordable, item, so I figured you guys might provide some NEEDED help

Our party wizard is in love with Magical Fog, now, other than being on the outside of it or near the edge, you can't really see in or out, so what I'm looking for is an easy way around the whole "so...magically fog...can't see anything...how am I supposed to know where to swing?" so other than being the caster of the spell, is there a way around this for a non-caster?

I'm also considering trying something with Non-magical smoke, like throwing an Eggshell Bomb that explodes and then destroying the goblins during the confusion.

so is there a way around the miss chance and visual obstruction of either magical or non-magical fog or smoke?

TaintedLight
2010-01-16, 04:28 AM
Anything that grants or has tremorsense can effectively ignore the fog.

olentu
2010-01-16, 05:04 AM
Well there is the cloud cloak. I recall that it removes the concealment of fog and mist fro the wearer but I will have to dig it up to see. There was also something else but I can not quite remember what it was.

Well the cloud cloak is here.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a

Also though it is not what I was thinking of the blindfold of true darkness could work.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-16, 05:06 AM
Anything that grants or has tremorsense can effectively ignore the fog.

Incorrect.

Tremorsense pinpoints, IIRC. The SRD definition of pinpointing is used with blindsense. This does not bypass concealment. In addition, flight destroys this model.

Blindsight or the equivalent will bypass.

What about using detect spells? They can see through 3' of wood/dirt, etc etc, so you think they'd still give you an idea what square the evil/undead/dude who's thinking/whatever is in if they're within 60'.

You need 3 rounds of observing the enemy to get his square. Can be problematic, if he moves out of your cone. Same reason that Detect spells aren't terribly useful vs invisibility.

BobVosh
2010-01-16, 05:15 AM
There is always blind fight. Always there, got your back. Like Tom on myspace.

I like wind fan, lots of uses. Also whichever dragonmark gives gust of wind.

Slayn82
2010-01-16, 06:07 AM
Well, OP, your enemies could at least employ darkness spells to the same effect, and have the blindfight feat. Drows excell on this kind of thing usually, being able to cast the darkness spell naturaly.

olentu
2010-01-16, 06:12 AM
Well, OP, your enemies could at least employ darkness spells to the same effect, and have the blindfight feat. Drows excell on this kind of thing usually, being able to cast the darkness spell naturaly.

Assuming 3.5 darkness is not so great.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-16, 06:29 AM

The darkness spell can be seen through. It's sad but true. Even the more robust variants are vulnerable to devil/demon abilities to see in magical darkness, warlock invocations, and True Seeing.

Fog is subject to none of these.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-16, 09:35 AM
IIRC even magical fog generally only gives concealment (20% miss chance) so blind fight + any means of reliably pinpointing the target gets you a negligable 4% miss chance. I like simple listen checks myself. Even with cross class ranks, a little magical boost can get your modifier high enough to reliably pinpoint after a certain point. The dc is only 20 unless the concealed creature is trying to move silently.

onthetown
2010-01-16, 09:48 AM
I believe somebody around the Playground once suggested casting Wind Wall or some similar spell... it blows away fog and smoke close to you. It won't get rid of all of it, but it moves with you? If it works, you'd still be blindly walking around trying to figure out where the enemy is, though...

AdalKar
2010-01-16, 12:08 PM
you can also give some of the bad guys the "pierce magical concealment" feat (CArcane p.81-82). quite feat expensive but it would work nice against those fog spells

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-16, 12:58 PM
you can also give some of the bad guys the "pierce magical concealment" feat (CArcane p.81-82). quite feat expensive but it would work nice against those fog spells

Warning: this feat and its kin (mage-slayer and pierce magical protection) are very much not caster friendly since you must have mage-slayer to take either of the other two and each of the three reduces your caster level by 4.

Darrin
2010-01-16, 04:05 PM
Warning: this feat and its kin (mage-slayer and pierce magical protection) are very much not caster friendly since you must have mage-slayer to take either of the other two and each of the three reduces your caster level by 4.

Not a problem for a non-caster.

Some other solutions:

Ask your DM if the glowing outline from Glitterdust has the same effect as Faerie Fire (i.e., does it negate miss chance due to concealment). If so, then tell the party wizard to cast Glitterdust *BEFORE* he casts his fog spells.

If not, then you'll have to cast Faerie Fire on your own. You can UMD a wand, or get ahold of a Stormfire Ring (MIC p. 206, 4000 GP). Faerie Fire 5/day *plus* 5 rounds of 1d6 electrical damage (no save). A Revealing weapon (MIC p. 42, +1 bonus) might also work if you can get in a few hits before the fog come out.

Otherwise, get ahold of some blindsense, blindsight, or tremorsense. There are Boots of Tremorsense in MIC that aren't too expensive (5000 GP), but you only get 15 rounds of it per day. Blindfold of True Darkness (MIC p. 75, 9000 GP) is a much better deal, since it has unlimited usage and isn't all that much more expensive.

If you're looking for something cheaper... a ranger can sell you some potions of Embrace the Wild for 50 GP (Spell Compendium). Blindsense 30' or Scent for 10 minutes. Potions of Tremorsense (also in Spell Compendium, Ranger 2 or Sor/Wiz 3, so 300 GP or 750 GP) would allow you to pinpoint any creatures within 30', lasts 10 minutes per level.

If you have 15 HD/levels, becoming a Dragonborn of Bahumat (100 GP) can give you blindsense 30'.