PDA

View Full Version : [4e] brawler question

juggalotis
2010-01-16, 11:27 AM
im making a rogue for a 4th edition game, half orc big on strength, im trying to make him a burly brawler. unarmed strikes only do d4 damage however and there are no real good mechanics for this brawly stuff. im trying to make him a grab the enemy and toss/slam them type of guy. any suggestion on a good and balanced way to homebrew this?

Duos Greanleef
2010-01-16, 11:38 AM
In my experience, giving out feats that increase the die size by one is sufficient
Examples:
Tough Guy
Prerequisite: STR 14
Benefit: Your fists deal 1d6 damage instead of 1d4

Tougher Guy
Prerequisite: STR 16, Tough Guy Feat
Benefit: Your fists deal 1d8 damage instead of 1d6

Tougher...er Guy
Prerequisite: STR 18, Tougher Guy Feat
Benefit: Your fists deal 1d10 damage instead of 1d8

You can keep up this feat progression as long as you like.
Realistically, you could even start to work in fun properties with your feats.
Brutal & High Crit would both represent a keen knowledge of how to hit someone. On a lighter note, reach would imply a certain... Gadgety feel.
:smalltongue:

juggalotis
2010-01-16, 11:45 AM
wow i missed those completely. what book are they in? and also anyone have suggestions from brawling/grappling mechanics in said 4e?

Gamerlord
2010-01-16, 11:49 AM
wow i missed those completely. what book are they in? and also anyone have suggestions from brawling/grappling mechanics in said 4e?

I think those are homebrew.

juggalotis
2010-01-16, 11:50 AM
good point sir.

Duos Greanleef
2010-01-16, 11:54 AM
These are homebrew.
As per grappling mechanics, they are relatively simple. You make a STR check vs. their FORT to grab them(review please... my PHB is away from me... page 290 [i only have my DM screen]).
If you make the grab, they are restrained {CA, immobilized, -2 ATK, no FM}
I would let you throw a target that you're grabbing to deal your fist damage and "push" him one square, or just deal your fist damage and keep him grabbed.
But that's just my gaming style I suppose.

Kylarra
2010-01-16, 12:33 PM
STR vs Ref actually, and you're only immobilized, not restrained. It does make grabbing a lot less impressive when you realize the only advantage is that they no longer move (or are burning minor actions to try to escape).

Theodoric
2010-01-16, 12:35 PM
STR vs Ref actually, and you're only immobilized, not restrained. It does make grabbing a lot less impressive when you realize the only advantage is that they no longer move (or are burning minor actions to try to escape).
Well, enemies that are grabbed also give combat advantage,w hich is quite useful for rogues.

juggalotis
2010-01-16, 12:38 PM
it is great for the rogues although it doesnt help the grabber much thats why im trying to figure out some homebrew "slam to ground" type mechanics.

ocato
2010-01-16, 12:51 PM
Perhaps you should just wait for Martial Power 2 (http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1994).

The above link shows that there will be a brawler/grappler style fighter build, which might be worth a look.

Edit: If you want to be a grabber, grab the Garrote feat and go that way for a rogue. Grabban and sneak attackan and whatnot.

Evard
2010-01-16, 12:53 PM
There is a feat in the character generator that lets you make unarmed strikes as if you are armed with a club

juggalotis
2010-01-16, 12:59 PM
the garrote idea is cool but a bit fancy for my thug. i'm thinking something towards one slam equaling fall damage for 10 feet (1d10+str damage)

Hal
2010-01-16, 02:30 PM
Everything you want to do will have to be homebrew. There's no proficiency bonus for unarmed strikes, no feats to boost the damage of the attacks, and the only benefit to grabbing is that the target becomes immobilized.

My typical preference on such things is to refluff it. Play a fighter. Instead of a sword and shield, you have a strong swing and a good defensive stance. Instead of using a shield bash, you're grabbing and throwing. When your AoO stops the opponent's movement, it's because you grabbed him.

I know that's something of a cop-out, but until you get an official version of what you want, it seems like as good a substitute as any.

falconflicker
2010-01-16, 04:08 PM
Also, you could use the spiked gauntlet weapons, and focus on grab attacks, or effects that cause prone, push, pull, slide, etc.

(the Dhampyr feat gives an easy attack if you wish)

Swordgleam
2010-01-16, 04:35 PM
I second using Hal's suggestion instead of homebrewing everything. Just pick a weapon and calculate everything as if you were using that, but describe it as if you were fighting unarmed. Far less work, same real result.